• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

In my case, I do like Cynthia since she was the champion that gave me the biggest challenge, but seeing people treat her like an actual Mary Sue that is invincible is... a massive turn off to put it simple. Not helped by the fact that I can't judge Leon in any way since I don't have SwSh.

To be fair, the Leon stans aren't any better.

That said, I can understand the way people blindly hype them up can be annoying to people. I have the same with Leon who's strong but not a second coming of God like many make him out to be.

Meanwhile, Steven and his fanbase are just vibing! Shoutout to you lot!

Re: Dexit - I mean, I can only echo what WyndonCalling said about it earlier in the thread; sure, it might've been necessary or inevitable, and I don't think it being a thing precludes Game Freak from continuing to make good games, but there just really isn't an upside to the negative emotional impact that it dealt people. Not being able to carry over your favorites and not knowing when you'll be able to play with them again sucks. If it doesn't affect you (it doesn't really affect me, either), then carry on with your business. However, I don't find it tasteful to try to spin it as a positive thing when the continued support of all Pokémon over the years never took anything away from the people who didn't make use of the feature. Furthermore, I think it's admirable that Game Freak kept it going as long as they could, and I don't think they should have just never bothered, even if it meant that a time like this, where the effort is no longer sustainable, would eventually come to pass. Many things in life can only be engaged with for a certain, limited amount of time, but the fact that you'll have to say goodbye later doesn't mean those things aren't worth pursuing. The good memories that people made from being able to enjoy full support for all Pokémon while it was possible are not just some data in an equation, they're real feelings, so I think the standard was absolutely still worth having while it could be managed.

As far as Leon and Cynthia worship goes, uberfans of anything have a tendency to be kind of annoying. Ironically that was sorta Team Yell's whole deal, lol. In truth, while I've definitely never seen a diehard Alder stan, I myself can probably attribute a small amount of my own backlash toward the Gen 5 games as a whole to the egregious level of uncritical veneration that I feel like they've received more and more in the last few years. Like, yes, they were brilliant and I know well all the brilliant things about them (because in all honesty, I think I did have that sort of worship-ey mindset about them myself, which I eventually realized and then turned it into kind of a self-parodying meme), but holy shit they were not perfect, and I think in general it's critically unhealthy to situate yourself into an outlook where there's supposedly "nowhere left to go but down." There can always be room for improvement.

Alder is fucking lit. He doesn't get the rep he deserves and it saddens me.

There should be more Alder stans. He's a man worth stanning.
Sincerely, I agree. He was also one that gave me trouble, to the point I feel N only won because of Zekrom/Reshiram.

To be fair, the Leon stans aren't any better.

That said, I can understand the way people blindly hype them up can be annoying to people. I have the same with Leon who's strong but not a second coming of God like many make him out to be.
I think the difference for me is that Leon has only been here for one year while people has done that for Cynthia for more than a decade.

Steven Stone remains my favorite Champion of all time, tied with Blue (if we count him as a Champion and not a rival).

But Cynthia is definitely still the hardest Champion battle I have had. THAT GARCHOMP IS INSANE, folks.

Transferring was likely included in Gen IV as a way to make use of the Dual slot feature, and in Gen V as a way to compensate for the new Pokemon only rule in the main game. Afterwards I just assume that it became a tradition, as well as an incentive to use Bank.

Transferring was likely included in Gen IV as a way to make use of the Dual slot feature, and in Gen V as a way to compensate for the new Pokemon only rule in the main game. Afterwards I just assume that it became a tradition, as well as an incentive to use Bank.
It'd be pretty weird to go to all that trouble for an otherwise-obscure feature, wouldn't it? It's not like dual slot ever did all that much beyond occasional cosmetics unlocks, even outside of the main series. (If this thread is anything to go on- it's hard for me to find a listing of every game that did it, which I think just further shows dual slot wasn't that big of a thing) And the Gen 4 games also had the dongle method for finding new encounters, so they could've just used that if they were pushed to use the dual slot for some reason.

And the Gen 5 games allowed you to capture old Pokemon, you just had to complete the main story first. And that's when you unlock the Poke Transfer, too, so it's not like transferring would be an earlier alternative.

Plus, that theory leaves out the transferring from Gen 1 to Gen 2- even though they were trades and not the current system of moving Pokemon without getting anything in return, it's clear that they wanted people to transfer Pokemon from old games. (They even incentivized it by given certain Pokemon items when they were transferred up, plus the PokeDex can't be completed without transferring via time capsule, with all legendaries, fossils, and starters missing from the Gen 2 games)

Steven Stone remains my favorite Champion of all time, tied with Blue (if we count him as a Champion and not a rival).

But Cynthia is definitely still the hardest Champion battle I have had. THAT GARCHOMP IS INSANE, folks.

Which doesn't mean she is the best champion though, since everything depends on team composition anyways (Frosslass alone destroys 3 out of Cynthia's mons, especially in Platinum with her having Garchomp, Togekiss and Roserade). Its kinda funny the upgraded game, gave her a less balanced team, since Togekiss and Milotic share that Electric weakness.

For me, Diantha is the strongest Champion, because i didn't have typings to deal with Mega Gardevoir, however i had Steel Wing on Talonflame, but considering i didn't had a fighting type, i already needed to use Talonflame against Aurorus and i am one of those players that want 1v1 match-ups against the Champion to give every mon its time to shine against it, since they were with me in the whole region.

Anyways back OT: My controversial opinons are that speed on a Pokemon is overrated. Dual typings on a Pokemon is overrated (Yes, while you get double STAB, you also get Double the weaknesses, although their are exceptions).

Last edited:
Just me... I'm not hyped at all about potential generation IV remakes, and if they weren't remade, I wouldn't care less.

The problem is that the biggest strength Sinnoh had was the design of the Routes, caves, and forests, which was what drove the sense of exploration. Town design, on the other hand, was not exactly its strong suit. Compared to the towns of Kalos and Hoenn, town layouts in Sinnoh felt secondary to the routes. They seemed more often like rest stops to exploring the region - not so much the focus of the region itself - so to encourage going back into the wild to explore some more.

Now, enter a remake. Seeing the graphics bump, they could give the town designs a much more appealing makeover - but knowing Gamefreak, they would oversimplify the routes in exchange, and reduce the exploration part of the region. It would be a reversal of strengths of what made the games memorable to the players in the first place. That just doesn't sound appealing to me, and I'd rather they just leave the games alone than remake them.

Last edited:
Honestly USUM get too much hate. With 3rd versions usually rendering the prior ones obsolete, it's nice to be able to enjoy both Sun and Moon and their ultra counterparts. Although most of the main game is the same they bring a fair amount to the table. They have new trials and totem pokemon (along with improving current ones), develop Hau a lot more as a character, new postgame content with rainbow rocket+ultra warp ride and improved a lot of trainer rosters. There's even brand new pokemon altogether. While the Lusamine arc is weaker, it's replaced with one of the most challenging and iconic boss fights we've ever had with Ultra Necrozma. Honestly, they're not meant to be replacements to Sun and Moon but rather alternative storylines that you can enjoy alongside them. Calling them lazy cash grabs is just like calling Emerald+Platinum cash grabs, because they're the same game as their predecessors but with a few changes (that are similar to what we've got here).

Gen VII as a whole is criminally underrated.

Calling them lazy cash grabs is just like calling Emerald+Platinum cash grabs, because they're the same game as their predecessors but with a few changes (that are similar to what we've got here).

I mean, tbf there are people who condemn the entire genre of enhanced editions for precisely that reason.

Personally, I find it interesting how varied the criticism of USUM can be. For some people, they didn't change enough, and as a result, they feel too similar to SM. For others, the problem is more that USUM changed the wrong things (usually Lillie and/or Lusamine's stories), and that they should have kept that stuff the same while reworking other aspects. Some people don't think the games were necessary and that SM got the job done just fine, whereas XY were the games that "needed" an upgrade. Contrary to that, my own view is that the base structure of SM is doing far more interesting things than XY were, and that if there has to be an enhanced version of one, I'd rather have them continue to experiment with the new, intriguing stuff (for instance, the revised Totem battles). And of course some people think USUM are largely superior to SM, but say that this reflects poorly on SM because the USUM features arguably should have been there from the start (especially with stuff like Rotom Powers and an actual eighth trial) or that USUM would have been better as DLC.

I myself am... broadly satisfied with USUM, and I do like that they don't totally overwrite the originals. For instance, just recently I played through SM again specifically because in those games, I am able to use Zygarde during the main storyline, and I wanted to try that out, which isn't something I would be able to do with USUM. But at the same time, I can kinda see how not having a clearly "definitive" version of Gen 7 might feel strenuous, although I also believe that the content in USUM is, for the most part, stuff that most people can live without. It's probably the competitive players who are hit the worst, since USUM add a lot of useful move tutors and eventually became the exclusive host games of the 2018 competitions, which means that anyone who chose not to buy USUM was unable to participate.

I mean, tbf there are people who condemn the entire genre of enhanced editions for precisely that reason.

Personally, I find it interesting how varied the criticism of USUM can be. For some people, they didn't change enough, and as a result, they feel too similar to SM. For others, the problem is more that USUM changed the wrong things (usually Lillie and/or Lusamine's stories), and that they should have kept that stuff the same while reworking other aspects. Some people don't think the games were necessary and that SM got the job done just fine, whereas XY were the games that "needed" an upgrade. Contrary to that, my own view is that the base structure of SM is doing far more interesting things than XY were, and that if there has to be an enhanced version of one, I'd rather have them continue to experiment with the new, intriguing stuff (for instance, the revised Totem battles). And of course some people think USUM are largely superior to SM, but say that this reflects poorly on SM because the USUM features arguably should have been there from the start (especially with stuff like Rotom Powers and an actual eighth trial) or that USUM would have been better as DLC.

I myself am... broadly satisfied with USUM, and I do like that they don't totally overwrite the originals. For instance, just recently I played through SM again specifically because in those games, I am able to use Zygarde during the main storyline, and I wanted to try that out, which isn't something I would be able to do with USUM. But at the same time, I can kinda see how not having a clearly "definitive" version of Gen 7 might feel strenuous, although I also believe that the content in USUM is, for the most part, stuff that most people can live without. It's probably the competitive players who are hit the worst, since USUM add a lot of useful move tutors and eventually became the exclusive host games of the 2018 competitions, which means that anyone who chose not to buy USUM was unable to participate.
Ideally I’d like it if all the new content was already in the game as postgame content. But given how deadlines can be at GF I kinda get why they’d be pressured to making one game, then releasing an improved/altered version afterwards. I would say XY needed some 3rd installment, but at least the anime expands on them.

Realistically speaking, I reckon sequels would be the way to go again. They can directly build off the first set of games and open the door for way more alterations. That being said, I’d rather take the ultra versions over a 3rd version but a sequel would be better. 3rd games just need to go honestly.

Last edited:
I don't think the will be Gen 4 remakes coming soon because of the Sinnoh Legends can be found in SWSH DLC.

Too bad there are more signs pointing towards one than against one.

I'm not sold on the chinese zodiac-fire starters theory. Indeed, Cyndaquil is labeled as "Rat Pokemon", I give you that. But, Delphox is clearly a fox. Foxes and dogs are related creatures, but they are not as close as wolves and dogs.

I don't usually go for those kinds of theories, but I can admit that the overall evidence is generally compelling. However, Fennekin is pretty much my one outstanding hang-up against it, for the same reason: Why go with something that's only adjacent to a dog rather than simply making a Fire-type dog Starter? It's like choosing to go with a lynx or an ocelot instead of a proper tiger in Gen 7, because "well they're both felidae so it's close enough"

Of course, there's a funny potential scenario in my head where the zodiac theory turns out to be true in the long run, but sometime within the next few generations, we still get a proper Fire-type dog Starter, and it turns out that Fennekin was just a casual deviation because they felt like taking a break from the pattern or something, lol

Last edited:
I never liked the idea of inserting older Pokémon in newer regions' national dexes ever since Hoenn was a thing. I always desired to have a Pokémon region in the games that older ones would not show up in the nature. Black & White's biggest stand-out feature for me was that in that regard, except they stepped back in the sequels. I understand how beneficial and useful it can be for both the players (trying out older pokémon that they never had a chance to use in past games), and for the developers (less amount of original ideas for the new pokémon, recycling what's there), but still each region would have felt more unique that way.

Back
Top Bottom