• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

Your controversial opinions

A Solidly Ossified Braincase
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
7,643
Reaction score
20,404
The way I see the Mega Evolution contradiction is that different areas of the world/different people have different interpretations and viewpoints on certain subjects and events.

Maybe the first Pokémon to Mega Evolve in Kalos was Lucario, but way off in the Hoenn region before globalization was a thing, Rayquaza Mega Evolved first, and due to distance/lack of knowledge on Mega Evolution, we got contradicting stories.
Strictly speaking, I don't think the Lucario/Rayquaza situation* is the problem so much as this exchange of dialogue in XY:

> Sycamore: But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know...
> Diantha: Does this make you think of something like Kalos's Legendary Pokémon? Found only here in the Kalos region, right? Nowhere else? Maybe that's not a coincidence.

This pretty clearly states that Mega Evolution has only be observed in Kalos (and seems to be the founding seed for Sycamore's eventual realization that the energy blast from the ultimate weapon, which was powered by Xerneas/Yveltal, is the source of Mega Stones), which is then retconned to all hell in ORAS, especially when Prof. Cozmo says this, years before XY take place:

> Cozmo: I happened to pick this [Galladite] up some time ago, while doing excavation at Meteor Falls. I hoped it might help you and your team along on your journey. But I'm still astounded by it all. A relationship between the Mega Stones, Key Stones, and the Meteorites... My, but new facts do come to light every day! This is what makes my research feel worthwhile! I know a man, a dear friend in the Kalos region, who has been researching Mega Evolution. We worked together a few years back here at Meteor Falls researching Meteorites. I'll have to share this information with him at once. It might propel his research forward, and help future Trainers and Pokémon. I hope it does.

Mega Stones have been discovered in Hoenn for a long time, even more were created by the surge of energy from the Cave of Origin after Groudon/Kyogre was defeated, and Sycamore has even been to Hoenn in order to conduct research, and yet in XY, which take place after ORAS, he's saying there are only examples of Mega Evolution in Kalos? It doesn't really add up. This, of course, isn't really an issue, because it affects absolutely nothing on any meaningful level (it's no different from GSC being like “Wow! A Pokémon EGG!!? No one's ever seen this before!” and then FRLG turning around and going “Oh yeah, eggs, here's a Day Care in the Sevii Islands, whatever”) but if you're someone who's very particular about continuity matching up across entries, this is going to jut out.


* Lucario/Rayquaza is pretty easily reconciled by the fact that Rayquaza Mega Evolved thousands of years ago, and did so in a way that only sort of resembles Mega Evolution as we know it. It wasn't "one Trainer with a Key Stone, one Pokémon with a Mega Stone" like usual, it was a group of desperate people wishing upon a giant rock which then resonated with Rayquaza, which only worked because Rayquaza happens to eats the meteoroids that usually become Mega Stones. Meanwhile, in Kalos, a unspecific length of time (but less than 3,000 years) ago, some dude and his Lucario were digging around and found a Mega Stone and a Key Stone paired, and from that, developed the "proper" style of Mega Evolution. The Rayquaza thing only happened once, too; it didn't become a "thing" in the region like you have in Kalos with the Tower of Mastery - and it's entirely possible that the guy in Kalos never even heard of it.
 
Last edited:
The Mega Multishipper of Miroir Way
Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Messages
520
Reaction score
832
Preferred Pronouns
She/They
Strictly speaking, I don't think the Lucario/Rayquaza situation* is the problem so much as this exchange of dialogue in XY:

> Sycamore: But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know...
> Diantha: Does this make you think of something like Kalos's Legendary Pokémon? Found only here in the Kalos region, right? Nowhere else? Maybe that's not a coincidence.

This pretty clearly states that Mega Evolution has only be observed in Kalos (and seems to be the founding seed for Sycamore's eventual realization that the energy blast from the ultimate weapon, which was powered by Xerneas/Yveltal, is the source of Mega Stones), which is then retconned to all hell in ORAS, especially when Prof. Cozmo says this, years before XY take place:

> Cozmo: I happened to pick this [Galladite] up some time ago, while doing excavation at Meteor Falls. I hoped it might help you and your team along on your journey. But I'm still astounded by it all. A relationship between the Mega Stones, Key Stones, and the Meteorites... My, but new facts do come to light every day! This is what makes my research feel worthwhile! I know a man, a dear friend in the Kalos region, who has been researching Mega Evolution. We worked together a few years back here at Meteor Falls researching Meteorites. I'll have to share this information with him at once. It might propel his research forward, and help future Trainers and Pokémon. I hope it does.

Mega Stones have been discovered in Hoenn for a long time, even more were created by the surge of energy from the Cave of Origin after Groudon/Kyogre was defeated, and Sycamore has even been to Hoenn in order to conduct research, and yet in XY, which take place after ORAS, he's saying there are only examples of Mega Evolution in Kalos? It doesn't really add up. This, of course, isn't really an issue, because it affects absolutely nothing on any meaningful level (it's no different from GSC being like “Wow! A Pokémon EGG!!? No one's ever seen this before!” and then FRLG turning around and going “Oh yeah, eggs, here's a Day Care in the Sevii Islands, whatever”) but if you're someone who's very particular about continuity matching up across entries, this is going to jut out.
Crap I didn't think about that dialogue. Thank you for pointing it out!
I don't really think about continuity errors a lot. Heck, I've probably made several when writing fanfic. But I read that stuff and my brain went "conspiracy theory where all records of Mega evolution in Hoenn were lost because... reasons", which has no backing and I won't try to give it any.
 
A Solidly Ossified Braincase
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
7,643
Reaction score
20,404
Yeah, I totally ignore Dex entries that say anything too ridiculous.
I'm split down the middle. Half my brain is like, "Yeah, that's just preposterous; what were they thinking, writing that?", but then at the same time, it's a fantasy world for kids, and the other half of my brain says that "making sense" is overrated, so why not go balls-to-the-wall and imagine creatures that can do seemingly impossible things? I mean, they can already summon fire and water and other elements at will, and many of them can use all manner of psychic powers, and we take all of that for granted, so any line drawn is going to be arbitrary. :wynaut:
 
Son of Aphrodite(?)
Joined
Oct 29, 2017
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
4,302
I mean, they can already summon fire and water and other elements at will, and many of them can use all manner of psychic powers, and we take all of that for granted, so any line drawn is going to be arbitrary.
It's possible to come up for a logical answer for all of those things, though, using real science and filling in the gaps with pseudoscience.

I have given up on reproduction, though.
 

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
2,126
Strictly speaking, I don't think the Lucario/Rayquaza situation* is the problem so much as this exchange of dialogue in XY:

> Sycamore: But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know...
> Diantha: Does this make you think of something like Kalos's Legendary Pokémon? Found only here in the Kalos region, right? Nowhere else? Maybe that's not a coincidence.

This pretty clearly states that Mega Evolution has only be observed in Kalos (and seems to be the founding seed for Sycamore's eventual realization that the energy blast from the ultimate weapon, which was powered by Xerneas/Yveltal, is the source of Mega Stones), which is then retconned to all hell in ORAS, especially when Prof. Cozmo says this, years before XY take place:

> Cozmo: I happened to pick this [Galladite] up some time ago, while doing excavation at Meteor Falls. I hoped it might help you and your team along on your journey. But I'm still astounded by it all. A relationship between the Mega Stones, Key Stones, and the Meteorites... My, but new facts do come to light every day! This is what makes my research feel worthwhile! I know a man, a dear friend in the Kalos region, who has been researching Mega Evolution. We worked together a few years back here at Meteor Falls researching Meteorites. I'll have to share this information with him at once. It might propel his research forward, and help future Trainers and Pokémon. I hope it does.

Mega Stones have been discovered in Hoenn for a long time, even more were created by the surge of energy from the Cave of Origin after Groudon/Kyogre was defeated, and Sycamore has even been to Hoenn in order to conduct research, and yet in XY, which take place after ORAS, he's saying there are only examples of Mega Evolution in Kalos? It doesn't really add up. This, of course, isn't really an issue, because it affects absolutely nothing on any meaningful level (it's no different from GSC being like “Wow! A Pokémon EGG!!? No one's ever seen this before!” and then FRLG turning around and going “Oh yeah, eggs, here's a Day Care in the Sevii Islands, whatever”) but if you're someone who's very particular about continuity matching up across entries, this is going to jut out.


* Lucario/Rayquaza is pretty easily reconciled by the fact that Rayquaza Mega Evolved thousands of years ago, and did so in a way that only sort of resembles Mega Evolution as we know it. It wasn't "one Trainer with a Key Stone, one Pokémon with a Mega Stone" like usual, it was a group of desperate people wishing upon a giant rock which then resonated with Rayquaza, which only worked because Rayquaza happens to eats the meteoroids that usually become Mega Stones. Meanwhile, in Kalos, a unspecific length of time (but less than 3,000 years) ago, some dude and his Lucario were digging around and found a Mega Stone and a Key Stone paired, and from that, developed the "proper" style of Mega Evolution. The Rayquaza thing only happened once, too; it didn't become a "thing" in the region like you have in Kalos with the Tower of Mastery - and it's entirely possible that the guy in Kalos never even heard of it.
Huh, I think I need to look back into this again. I was under the assumption that Dev. Corp used Infinite Energy they created themselves to create Mega Stones.

Also, man, Sycamore has been to town. He's also studied under Rowan if I remember correctly.
 
Huggable Alolan Raichu
Joined
Dec 13, 2017
Messages
19,954
Reaction score
42,480
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Because I can't help but think of Pokémon like Murkrow or Hawlucha - they definitely can fly, but clearly the animators didn't feel obligated to force them into a permanently flying pose just so that they can participate in Sky Battles (which they can't).
Your theory makes sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Also reminds me of how Pokémon Adventures goes way too hard on applying game logic sometimes, like when they say that Fletchling can't participate in Sky Battles, even though it doesn't make sense outside of the games.
Too much freedom causes me anxiety.
For me, there's a similar thing with endless games, like Minecraft, hence why I never play them. I prefer game where you can stop at a certain point and feel like you've accomplished an objective the game has set up for you.
I just don’t like Charizard. It’s just not a very good Pokemon all things considered. And sure it got a buff with its two megas but those are gone now.
I like Charizard mainly because of nostalgia and the fact that I used one as my starter in my first Pokémon game, LeafGreen.
I love Lucario.

Maybe I play too much Smash.
I like it too, but I don't know why. Maybe it's a combination of its design and the Lucario movie, which was one of the first Pokémon movies I saw as a kid (I never saw one in theaters).
Also, regional variants should be given to an entire evolutionary line instead of just one Pokemon from the line.
Not in Pikachu's case, at least. Raichu deserves at least something over Pikachu.
Bede’s battle theme sucks.
I don't hate it, but I prefer Hop's theme.
I like modern Pokémon games. I may be biased because my first games were modern Pokémon games, but I think they've got a lot of really good qualities. It's fine to not like modern games, that's a valid opinion, but some people get so... angry, especially with SwSh (I don't think I need to explain who toxic things got). I've even seen people say stuff like "why are people defending these games who's paying them" and it's like... people are allowed to like a game without selling out? Why would GF or anyone be paying me to like SwSh? What would they gain from that?
Thank you! In my opinion, the most underrated core Pokémon games are X and Y, which have such a unique charm to them. And Sword and Shield aren't as hated as people try to say they are. They've sold over 20 million copies, after all.
I've never understood people's obsession with the "worldbuilding" and "lore" in the games.
People just like knowing how things work. I'm not obsessed with thrmy, but it makes me happy learning about them, regardless.
 
Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2020
Messages
61
Reaction score
183
I wouldn't say I dislike seeing younger fans getting into the franchise through newer entries, I'm technically a part of that group. I am, however, worried about how people, especially those who don't really like newer games, will treat them.
I apologize I miswrote that. I menat I dislike seeing youngers fans get into the granchise through newer entries only to see a bunch hate towards and get hit with backlash for gen 6, 7 and 8. Like imagine being a new person to the online fandom saying "Oh I love XY" only to get bombarded with twenty people telling you your opinion sucks, you're the reason why the franchise is going downhill and stuff. Like that would be a horrible experience, especially when you're young.

I kind of like thinking of dumb questions like "what's the economy/history of X region?" or "what's the culture of X city?" or "what the heck is the Foreign Building in Hearthome City?" "what are the implications of X?" or "would it make sense for there to be a brand of cereal with X Pokémon as a mascot", you get the idea. So maybe not specifically Pokédex stuff, but what people would consider "worldbuilding". It's not for everyone, but I find it interesting.

Also I think I've seen your TV Tropes fanon Pokédex! I think it's pretty cool!
I don't think those questions are dumb. In fact those type of questions are what have kept me engaged in Pokemon for so long. and so to answer @BackSet 's question about why we're so interested in lore, for me it's what keeps me engaged with the franchise long after the novelty of catching em all and battling to be the very best has worn off. Like I personally like pondering how the Pokemon world functions on a grander scare, but also lore around the human characters. A lot of the characters have interesting backgrounds/personality but very few get a decent amount of exposure and even the ones that do often have it skewed so the more interesting aspects about them are shoved to the side.

Like I would love for a SwSh prequel that gave us a chance to see baby Sonia, Leon, Raihan, Nessa, Gordie, Milo, Piers, younger versions of Kabu, Oleana, Melony, Opal and Rose. Of course we know the gym line up is different from year to year so seeing different set of types in the gym line up. There were a lot of things that were teased about these characters in SwSh that didn't really get a lot of focus which I wish it could've. The SwSh cast is easily my favorite out of all the games and I wish we got some more time with them in the narrative.
 
Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2019
Messages
761
Reaction score
1,896
I'm split down the middle. Half my brain is like, "Yeah, that's just preposterous; what were they thinking, writing that?", but then at the same time, it's a fantasy world for kids, and the other half of my brain says that "making sense" is overrated, so why not go balls-to-the-wall and imagine creatures that can do seemingly impossible things? I mean, they can already summon fire and water and other elements at will, and many of them can use all manner of psychic powers, and we take all of that for granted, so any line drawn is going to be arbitrary. :wynaut:
I can take some silly stuff since kids are the primary demographic, but some of those Dex entries just break my brain with how stupid they are. Magcargo's body being hotter than the sun is probably my favourite go to dumb entry especially because there's that scene from the anime with the child hugging it. :lapras:
 
Son of Aphrodite(?)
Joined
Oct 29, 2017
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
4,302
I don't count character backstories as "lore". Or rather, its a case by case basis. Cyrus' backstory? Not lore. AZ's Backstory? Lore.
 
A Solidly Ossified Braincase
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
7,643
Reaction score
20,404
It's possible to come up for a logical answer for all of those things, though, using real science and filling in the gaps with pseudoscience.

I have given up on reproduction, though.
Right, but pseudoscience can be stretched increeeeeeeeeedibly far.

Huh, I think I need to look back into this again. I was under the assumption that Dev. Corp used Infinite Energy they created themselves to create Mega Stones.
Who likes lore? 'Cause you folks are gonna' get it now...

Infinity Energy was used to create advanced technology, such as the motor for the Submarine Explorer I, a power source for the Mossdeep rocket, and teleport pads, but it certainly is based on research about Mega Evolution:

> Scientist: "We had to do a whole lot of research into Mega Evolution to develop Infinity Energy. It was all based on the legend of Rayquaza that the Draconid people passed down for the past several thousand years.

What do you say? Since you did work alongside us to save the world and all, I guess I could tell you about my research results... Want to hear about them?

Understood! Ahem... To begin... It appears that within Rayquaza’s body resides an organ with the same power as a Mega Stone. I have dubbed it the mikado organ. We believe Rayquaza usually inhabits the stratosphere, where its instincts prompt it to consume small meteoroids that fall into the atmosphere. The meteoroids merge with Rayquaza’s internal energy to create an effect similar to a Mega Stone. We believe that, thanks to its mikado organ, Rayquaza can undergo its own Mega Evolution, manifesting sufficient power to repel both Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. As we can gather from legends, Rayquaza has swooped in to put a stop to their clashes many times in the long history of the world.

Those who saw the way that Rayquaza, possessing this special power, reacted to their Key Stones to transform itself, began research into the subject. It came to be recognized as a form of Evolution, a new possibility for Pokémon. And what we stitched together from all of this long research is the current theory of Mega Evolution. A part of Rayquaza’s entry in the Pokédex was even edited due to this bit of folklore.

...Ahem! And that, while simplified quite a bit, is what I have deciphered from the ancient records of the Draconid people about the relationship between Rayquaza and Mega Evolution."

The Mega Stones in Hoenn seem to just be meteoroids or stones that get infused with Hoenn's rich natural energy. Several of them are found just lying around throughout the game, long before anything involving Kyogre or Groudon kicks up. For example, Wanda's boyfriend gives you an Aggronite after clearing the rocks in Rusturf Tunnel and says this:

> "I found that when I was digging for the tunnel. I felt like there’s some mysterious power coming from it, but I don’t think I could do a thing with it."

Which means it was probably buried in there for quite some time, rather than being artificially created by the Devon Corporation. That being said, it's also revealed in the games that Tabitha/Shelly used to work for Devon, and Team Magma/Aqua was able to achieve a lot of their technical projects due to the information this gave them access to (ooo, corporate espionage, in my Pokémon?). Consequently, we know that Team Magma/Aqua were experimenting to figure out how to artificially engineer a Red/Blue Orb, which are similar in composition to Mega Stones. Take what Maxie says at Mt. Chimney, for example:

> Maxie: "So what is it that we must do to awaken this slumbering giant? Our research has led us here, to Mt. Chimney. Yes, here...to this very Meteorite. If we create the right conditions, we should find ourselves able to alter this Meteorite's qualities. Yes, even into a Mega Stone. Even into a Key Stone. And here, at Mt. Chimney— Hmph... I should not say too much. That is the end of today's lesson."

So it definitely seems possible that you could "forge" a Mega Stone using a potent source of natural life energy - which is what Infinity Energy is. According to Steven's dad,

> Mr. Stone: "The energy that could be gained by the sacrifice of so many Pokémon... There are surely many people who would call it reprehensible. But my grandfather, the president of Devon before me, said this... 'Couldn't we use the energy to improve the lives of people and Pokémon?' And so he developed our greatest creation here at the Devon Corporation: Infinity Energy."

It seems that Pokémon are the most readily available source of this energy, but there are natural "wells" of it that also exist, such as Mt. Chimney and the Cave of Origin, and Team Magma/Aqua was hoping to exploit the former until they got confirmation of the real Orbs being kept at Mt. Pyre. The large meteor that slammed into Sootopolis in the distant past cracked open one of these wells, releasing natural energy which is what woke Groudon and Kyogre up that time. (And according to Zinnia, it seems that when the two clashed a millennium before then, Hoenn was "overflowing" with that energy, so I guess a lot of it got used up by their Primal Reversions and also maybe just by naturally settling and/or dissipating for the next thousand years, such that it was limited to just these specific wells by the time of the Sootopolis impact.) That meteor, of course, then became the massive Key Stone that allowed Rayquaza to Mega Evolve:

> Zinnia: "The people had a wish—a memory from a thousand years before... They wished that the Legendary Pokémon clad in emerald light would appear again. The huge Meteorite that lay at the heart of Sootopolis gave off a boundless brilliance. In its brilliance, it resembled a vast and powerful Key Stone. And once again, Rayquaza descended from whence it came in the heavens. The people fell to their knees before Rayquaza and made a wish for salvation. As they did, a great change came over the Legendary Pokémon."

... likely because it soaked up a huge amount of the energy that was kept in the Cave of Origin. Likewise, there's the Meteorite that you nick from Team Magma/Aqua at Mt. Chimney - as you progress through the game, it changes shape, increasingly resembling a Mega Stone, until it is finally consumed by Rayquaza, which gives it the power it needs in order to Mega Evolve again.

All of which to say that it seems as though soaking up natural life energy = Mega Stone or Key Stone. In Kalos, the huge influx of life energy channeled by the ultimate weapon seeped into the ground, irradiating regular stones and turning them into Mega and Key Stones. In Hoenn, there was originally an abundance of the energy all around, and meteors that would fall there would become infused with it just by impacting. (Quoting Zinnia again, in her account of the earliest Groudon/Kyogre clash: "And the meteoroids fell in their multitude upon a waterfall that had long been home to a tribe of Dragon-type-Pokémon users... [...] The meteors shone with a rainbow brilliance, as if some great life was held within. That was when, as if drawn by the brilliance, a Pokémon that shone in a blazing emerald hue descended from the heavens...") This gave us the Mega Stones that we can pick up from the start of the game. But additionally, the huge wave of energy that erupts from the Cave of Origin after we deal with Groudon/Kyogre ourselves seems to create an all-new wave of Mega Stones, as that's when a lot of new ones pop up all over the place, like the Mewtwonite X in Littleroot or the Scizorite in Petalburg Woods. Here's some more evidence:

> Wanda: "Do you remember how light came falling out of the sky a while ago? I found this [Gardevoirite] in the yard that day. Actually, I found two, and I gave the other to Wally. It’s a pretty stone, and I’m sure your Pokémon would be delighted if you let one of them hold it!"

> Mom: "Remember the night you went to see the star show? Well, I found this [[email protected]] in the grass out front the next morning! Isn't it pretty, the way it sparkles? It's like a rainbow!"

(Actually, in thinking about it, that second one might be one of the Litleonid meteors that we watch at the end of the Delta Episode, breaking through the atmosphere and soaking up the refreshed natural energy that's floating around because of the Cave of Origin event.)
 
Small ripples lead to big waves.
Joined
Mar 18, 2017
Messages
2,050
Reaction score
1,068
It's good to see polite, in-depth lore discussions here.
So it definitely seems possible that you could "forge" a Mega Stone using a potent source of natural life energy
That reminds me of a theory that Y is Charizard's "natural" mega evolution, and X was artificially created.
 
A Solidly Ossified Braincase
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
7,643
Reaction score
20,404
I can take some silly stuff since kids are the primary demographic, but some of those Dex entries just break my brain with how stupid they are. Magcargo's body being hotter than the sun is probably my favourite go to dumb entry especially because there's that scene from the anime with the child hugging it. :lapras:
Admittedly this is me being liberal with the text, but perhaps it's not so much that Magcargo is hotter than the sun, but that it can become hotter than the sun under the right circumstances? Perhaps all the extra-extraordinary feats in the Pokédex are the current "record" of a certain species' capability, but aren't representative of the average specimen. Like how I can't ever hope to run as fast as Usain Bolt.

There's also the theory that the Pokédex can be interpreted as a living document - and that a lot of the entries, especially older ones, may reflect outdated information. We've seen at least one example of this, with the Archen family, and how their most recent entries downplay the idea that they might be the ancestor of all bird Pokémon. Or maybe Magcargo's body temp is just the Pokémon world equivalent of "you only use 10% of your brain" or "your taste buds are neatly divided into four sections" or "here, this mercury elixir will increase your longevity oops now you're dead," lol

It's good to see polite, in-depth lore discussions here.
Indeed, though it is probably the wrong thread for that :eek: Suppose I'll go make one better-suited.

That reminds me of a theory that Y is Charizard's "natural" mega evolution, and X was artificially created.
Ah, I came across that one recently! It's certainly an interesting idea.
 
The Mega Multishipper of Miroir Way
Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Messages
520
Reaction score
832
Preferred Pronouns
She/They
Thank you! In my opinion, the most underrated core Pokémon games are X and Y, which have such a unique charm to them. And Sword and Shield aren't as hated as people try to say they are. They've sold over 20 million copies, after all.
I agree with you on XY! They added a ton of great things to the series (trainer customization, playing with your Pokémon, etc.)

I feel like people are either split 50/50 on SwSh, or the people who do hate it are a vocal minority. Idk.

I apologize I miswrote that. I menat I dislike seeing youngers fans get into the granchise through newer entries only to see a bunch hate towards and get hit with backlash for gen 6, 7 and 8. Like imagine being a new person to the online fandom saying "Oh I love XY" only to get bombarded with twenty people telling you your opinion sucks, you're the reason why the franchise is going downhill and stuff. Like that would be a horrible experience, especially when you're young.
No worries. I didn't engage with the Pokémon online community until maybe two years ago, but I can imagine how horrible it would be for me to be young, and getting into Pokémon, only to be told things like "your opinion sucks) and stuff.

Like I would love for a SwSh prequel that gave us a chance to see baby Sonia, Leon, Raihan, Nessa, Gordie, Milo, Piers, younger versions of Kabu, Oleana, Melony, Opal and Rose. Of course we know the gym line up is different from year to year so seeing different set of types in the gym line up. There were a lot of things that were teased about these characters in SwSh that didn't really get a lot of focus which I wish it could've. The SwSh cast is easily my favorite out of all the games and I wish we got some more time with them in the narrative.
The SwSh cast was SO good! I really like how they played into the theme of fame/expectations/etc. And I'd LOVE to see a series of younger SwSh characters.

So it definitely seems possible that you could "forge" a Mega Stone using a potent source of natural life energy - which is what Infinity Energy is.
Perfect. Gonna go and make a Mega Jigglypuff Stone.

It's good to see polite, in-depth lore discussions here.
I love to see it too. :)
 
The Mega Multishipper of Miroir Way
Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Messages
520
Reaction score
832
Preferred Pronouns
She/They
There's also the theory that the Pokédex can be interpreted as a living document - and that a lot of the entries, especially older ones, may reflect outdated information. We've seen at least one example of this, with the Archen family, and how their most recent entries downplay the idea that they might be the ancestor of all bird Pokémon. Or maybe Magcargo's body temp is just the Pokémon world equivalent of "you only use 10% of your brain" or "your taste buds are neatly divided into four sections" or "here, this mercury elixir will increase your longevity oops now you're dead," lol
I've heard theories that the Pokédex entries are written by the player character (read: children), so maybe it's kids hyperbolizing things.

Indeed, though it is probably the wrong thread for that :eek: Suppose I'll go make one better-suited.
Uh oh. :lapras:
If you do make a new thread for lore discussion, I'd love to see it!
 

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
2,126
It's good to see polite, in-depth lore discussions here.

That reminds me of a theory that Y is Charizard's "natural" mega evolution, and X was artificially created.
Then does this mean both of Mewtwo are artificially created? Since it wasn't around ages ago.

...

Giovanni.
 
Top