• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

As bad as the Rotom Dex was, I think it had a lot of potential and I'm sad they didn't try to build on that in SwSh. I mean, what's the point of the Rotom Phone. It does literally nothing a normal phone doesn't do. Is it actually just a phone that looks like a Rotom? That can't be right because the Anime shows Ash and Goh putting Rotoms into their phones.

There’s definitely a Rotom inhabiting the phone in the games, too, as there are a couple of moments where it pops out from your pocket on its own to relay a call. But that’s pretty much the only indication that there’s something living in it, yeah.

I think the Rotom-inhabited PCs are handled a little better, but I gotta’ say, the whole situation just feels ethically sketchy to me. It was one thing when Sun & Moon told us that the Rotom Dex was a new invention and that only a few existed in the entire world (making it seem like something meant specifically to help professors), and those games, for better or worse, go to massive lengths to make Rotom feel like a living, autonomous partner. Whereas in SwSh, it’s like, what, are these guys just being mass-bred on a farm somewhere and then shipped out to be used as a mere component in a new commercial product? This bundled with the whole aspect of Poké Jobs is just... ew.

The Three Element Monkeys from BW were awesome and do not deserve the hate they get. Fight me.
I don't understand why they're so hated. Because they look too much alike? That was intentional. They're all based on the three wise monkeys. My personal favourite is Panpour, because I like the colour blue.

I think the Rotom-inhabited PCs are handled a little better, but I gotta’ say, the whole situation just feels ethically sketchy to me.
Is there anything in Galar that doesn't use Rotoms? There's even a Rotom Bike! I feel bad for all these Rotoms...

As bad as the Rotom Dex was, I think it had a lot of potential and I'm sad they didn't try to build on that in SwSh. I mean, what's the point of the Rotom Phone. It does literally nothing a normal phone doesn't do. Is it actually just a phone that looks like a Rotom? That can't be right because the Anime shows Ash and Goh putting Rotoms into their phones.

The Raihan fight animation shows something normal phones can't do: they can't pan and float and keep track of someone on their own. If I had to guess an in-world reason, they were made for influencers / peopled involved in filming and photography and since those are the more or less the main target of your average flagship cellphone, it just kinda trickled down to everybody.

It's also technically a Siri analog for pretty much no effort and very low cost from the manufacter (besides the breeding but that's more or less free, unless there's a tax for industrial breeding, I don't know?)

Is there anything in Galar that doesn't use Rotoms? There's even a Rotom Bike! I feel bad for all these Rotoms...

The power plant apparently, since the free energy Rotom provides everywhere else aren't enough to power the region according to Rose.

It's also technically a Siri analog for pretty much no effort and very low cost from the manufacter (besides the breeding but that's more or less free, unless there's a tax for industrial breeding, I don't know?)
From a Watsonian perspective, wouldn't it make more sense to use Porygon for that? Rotom's whole shtick is interfering with tech, but Porygon is an AI. (From a Doylist perspective, the anime, but still.)

Also, is it ever indicated in Masters that the Poryphones have Porygon in them? I was always under the impression that they didn't.

From a Watsonian perspective, wouldn't it make more sense to use Porygon for that? Rotom's whole shtick is interfering with tech, but Porygon is an AI. (From a Doylist perspective, the anime, but still.)

Also, is it ever indicated in Masters that the Poryphones have Porygon in them? I was always under the impression that they didn't.
Rotom is more of a ghost of eletricity that can get in eletronics.

I think it's more of a cost effectiveness thing, even if Porygon makes for a better Siri, it likely can't physically affect the device the way Rotom can, so by using Rotom they get more bang for their buck.

Tecnicallu TPC acknowledged that it was Pikachu's fault and not Porygon's.
While that may be the case, it's a lot easier to get sideline Porygon than the franchise's mascot. (Or get rid of Thunderbolt in the anime)

im 100% sure someone has said this before but im gonna say it again in that case: the "new gen" pokemon games are NOT bad!! i see way too many people just blindly hate on these games to join the bandwagon of "its not black/white so it must be bad" when in reality we should all be looking at what gens 6-8 ARE instead of what theyre ARENT compared to the previous games. yknow??

for example i know its really easy to compare a generation like gen 6 to the games that came before it and cry "gen 6 has terrible characters so these games are bad!! this gen was too easy these games are bad!!" but thats kinda wrong imo. while gen 6 is my fave gen i can admit that the characters were a little lacking (in xy, oras did a much better job here but i digress) and compared to the games i grew up with they were easier to beat but why does that really matter?? do little things that literally dictate the quality of an entire game?? its a pokemon game so if youre having fun with it its a good game. sure it may be a little flawed in some places but the purpose of a game is to chill and have a good time. this is all coming from someone who grew up with gens 4-5 aka the "best" gens too

besides each new gen introduces new parts to the pokemon world outside the actual gameplay!! gen 6 with mega evolution, gen 7 with z moves, gen 8 with dynamax, and the stories they want to tell..... i really think that if people just stepped back to appreciate what the newer gen pokemon games are doing with interesting concepts and additions to the franchise instead of being blinded by their rage that this isnt black white 3 the new gen games would have a much better rep in the fanbase. of course if you dont like these games because you think theyre boring then thats perfectly valid but THAT should be the main reason and not "its not emerald my 26 point essay"

side note: i also dont think that someones favorite gen has to be the one they grew up with!! i grew up with gens 4-5 but 6 is my favorite because theyre fun to me. i dont care that sinnoh is the "toughest" region or that unova has the "best story" in the franchise. i have fun everytime i play xy/oras so theyre my favorites and that reason is as good as the reasons i just stated. end of story

Back
Top Bottom