• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I'm not even sure what qualifies as controversial anymore, but here I go:

- I don't think the games need to be given longer development time. For starters, I have no faith that this would actually enhance much of anything. For seconds, I'd rather have more frequent games than less frequent games that are slightly less medicore. I know quantity isn't necessarily better than quality but I don't really want a 'grand scale' pokemon game; if that makes sense. I feel like the things I want are things that could be implemented without taking up extra time (e.g. more frequent double battles) I use the word medicore kind of jokingly because I feel like every game has it's charm and while there are some things that were kind of 'eh' about SwSh at launch they were still fun to play and I think DLC was a really good thing for these games. Most importantly, I knew a new game wasn't too far off.

- I don't really care that mythicals get shafted now and handed out without story events. They're just advertisements for the movies at this point and I think that's totally fine. (I do kind of wish we could get like an entire game devoted to Jirachi, though.)

- Black and White have a very boring "story". It feels kind of generic and Ghetsis's goal/plan feels more unrealistic than every other villain. He brain washes a random kid into his cult society so that that kid will go off and become champion and free everyone's Pokemon thus making him (Ghetsis) the most powerful trainer and then what? Like, I just don't get it. Does the champion have the power to do something like that? Who does have the power? What is the power? What will he make people do afterwards? He wants to be King because he's a narcissist and believes it's his birthright or something but I don't know anything about the power structure in the Pokemon Universe. When people realize what's going on, what's to stop them from just catching new Pokemon? What are the rules?

- When it comes to Pokemon, I prefer stories that are a little more 'over the top' which is why I like B2W2 better because Team Plasma has a giant flying pirate ship that shoots freeze rays. I mean, that just makes more sense to me. Forget the over complicated 15 year long evil plan. "You will bow to me or I will freeze you all to death! Wahahaha!" I think pokemon games should have more of that nonsense and shouldn't be afraid to leave reality behind a little more. It's kind of boring when the only threat is a single somewhat powerful pokemon that isn't really all that powerful.

- I think that GameFreak needs to drop the 'rival' character(s) for at least one game.

-Cyrus is, somewhat unintentionally, the most nuanced villain in the series and Cynthia is kind of a bad person.

Here's a few more from me:
  • Wallace is my favorite champion, mainly because he was my absolute favorite character when I was a kid. Having involvement with contests and the Cave of Origins was neat.
  • Generic animal Pokemon are the worst kinds of Pokemon. Like, okay fine, Poochyena and Wooloo are cute, but they're just a dog and a sheep. They're so boring compared to other Pokemon designs and I am baffled on how some people can call Pokemon like Vanillite or Klefki "generic", yet defend the existence of a creature that is as close to an actual animal it can be.

-When it comes to Pokemon, I prefer stories that are a little more 'over the top' which is why I like B2W2 better because Team Plasma has a giant flying pirate ship that shoots freeze rays
Okay I know I said I wasn't a fan of the gen 5 stories, but I do admit that part was awesome

Wallace is my favorite champion, mainly because he was my absolute favorite character when I was a kid. Having involvement with contests and the Cave of Origins was neat.

Huh, this is actually two pretty decent points for Wallace being a better champion. I never gave it much thought as to who I like better, But Steven is just some kid of the president of some company. Wallace really does have more of a regional presence and importance.

Like, I just don't get it. Does the champion have the power to do something like that?

It was a public opinion sort of thing. His goal was to have N use his clout as a Trainer who had defeated the Champion and partnered with a Legendary to push for mass-releasing Pokémon. It was meant to start with a few who were in awe of N's accomplishments agreeing to release their Pokémon and would snowball from there.

(Though apparently he also had some scientists working on a way to hack the PC so they could release Pokémon by force. Gotta have a contingency I guess.)

What will he make people do afterwards?

What does any dictator do? The problem is, Pokémon doesn't really get into the nuances of government so we don't know, like, what kind of social/political/economic ideas Ghetsis wanted to impose on Unova. So in the end it does just feel like power for power's sake, which, now that I think about it, could have still been a cool way to contrast Cheren with Ghetsis if they'd picked up on that.

Huh, this is actually two pretty decent points for Wallace being a better champion. I never gave it much thought as to who I like better, But Steven is just some kid of the president of some company. Wallace really does have more of a regional presence and importance.

I like where this is going, I just wish the games had actually thought of it. Even when ORAS come around and actively feature Wallace in Contests and more heavily emphasize his role as a Sootopolitan lorekeeper, he's not the Champion yet because those games are following the RS structure. :(

It was a public opinion sort of thing. His goal was to have N use his clout as a Trainer who had defeated the Champion and partnered with a Legendary to push for mass-releasing Pokémon. It was meant to start with a few who were in awe of N's accomplishments agreeing to release their Pokémon and would snowball from there.

(Though apparently he also had some scientists working on a way to hack the PC so they could release
There's also the fact that the hero is treated as some kind of messiah, so there's also that. Do you think most people would like to deal with a legend?

(Though apparently he also had some scientists working on a way to hack the PC so they could release Pokémon by force. Gotta have a contingency I guess.)

I guess. I suppose I'm just not particularly convinced that enough people would follow suit just because N is charismatic. Team Plasma really respects him, but other people don't know who he is. N isn't really shown talking to crowds of people; just Ghetsis. And everyone just seems confused after he talks. The game just doesn't do enough to convince me that there's any real threat to Ghetsis's plan.

Even if they forcibly release everyone's pokemon by some hacking machine; it brings up so many questions about the pokeball. Perhaps Ghetsis really believes that every Pokemon would abandon its trainer if it wasn't inside a ball anymore, but this goes against what Pokemon has taught us. If pokemon really are slaves to the ball, then that means capturing them is immoral. Perhaps it would have been a good thing to let Ghetsis 'succeed' and him and N would be forced to watch on in confusion as everyone's Pokemon decides not to leave their trainer's side. It never made any sense to me that the resolution to the conflict with N was decided with a Pokemon battle.

What does any dictator do? The problem is, Pokémon doesn't really get into the nuances of government so we don't know, like, what kind of social/political/economic ideas Ghetsis wanted to impose on Unova. So in the end it does just feel like power for power's sake, which, now that I think about it, could have still been a cool way to contrast Cheren with Ghetsis if they'd picked up on that.

I mean, I don't really care what policies he wants. I like Ghetsis for being crazy and power hungry and he doesn't need a reason to want power. I meant more along the lines of like, after no one has a pokemon anymore (assuming that's even possible to begin with), is he just going to waltz around from town to town giving orders? Once he starts threatening people, wouldn't they just start catching pokemon again? Does he literally believe that the majority of Unova will 'follow' team Plasma just because N is has the legendary dragon? That'd be like if somebody showed up with a Sword in modern day England and was like, "this is the "Ex Caliber"; that means I'm King now. Please do what I say.

Agreed. I think DEXIT should have happened sooner. When you're used to have 800+ mons on a 3DS (despite the lag) and then going to an even more powerful system home console like the switch and that's when they decide to do Dexit...there's a reason that those emotions were felt so harshly.
You can tell they were trying to delay it as late as possible by adding less pokemon in recent generations. How it took them that long to finally realize that there was too many is beyond me and they probably regret adding 156 with Generation 5.

On that note and not sure if a hot take, but i'm fine with a generation only introducing 70 to 80 new pokemon.

Last edited:
I really hate these reasons to bash a Pokémon:

-"It doesn't look like a Pokémon": Apparently some people ignore the whole variety of designs we got in Gen I, and the style was not going to stay static like in Dragon Quest. Things were going to change. Plus there's the fact that there are more than two people designing Pokémon-

-"It looks like a Digimon": No, it doesn't. Digimon has a pretty specific artstyle that doesn't look much like Pokémon to me, specially the official Bandai artwork.

Here's an opinion which I'm pretty certain is controversial... the Mystery Dungeon games aren't very good. I really wanted to like them, but I've just never been able to get into them. I love the idea of playing as a Pokemon, but the gameplay is just so boring and repetitive. Explorers of Sky was an endless loop of wake up, explore a dungeon (which aren't nearly as exciting as I was expecting), watch a cutscene of all the Pokemon eating dinner, then rinse and repeat. Admittedly, I've never got very far into a Mystery Dungeon game - maybe they get better as they go on? But if the early part of the game doesn't hold my attention enough for me to want to keep playing, then that isn't a very well-designed game in my opinion.

In fact, I might even go so far as to say that the only good spin-off game is Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire. There's quite a few I haven't tried yet, though, so maybe I'll find another one I like eventually. I got very close to liking Ranger, but the absurd spike in difficulty during the Muk mission turned me off the game completely. I might like the two sequels more because of the changes made to the capture styler.

Mythical Pokemon should not exist. Make them legendary and put them in the game as post game content or something. Then maybe I'll be interested in them. Right now I'm sitting on a bunch from the event a few years back where you could get them via a code and junk but I want to reset the game to start a nuzlocke but the impossible to get mythicals are there. I can't just throw those away even though I will never use them.
I don't like the way that Mythical Pokemon are handled either. In my controversial opinion, the only ones that Game Freak have ever got right are Deoxys in ORAS, Celebi in the Virtual Console version of Crystal, and Magearna in Gen 7. There should never be a situation where you can permanently lose access to a Pokemon if you restart your game.

I took a peek at Serebii.net's Crown Tundra section, and apparently...

...Keldeo can be caught without an event, if you bring Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion to a specific spot. That's another "Mythical Pokemon done right" I can add to my list.

Here's an opinion which I'm pretty certain is controversial... the Mystery Dungeon games aren't very good. I really wanted to like them, but I've just never been able to get into them. I love the idea of playing as a Pokemon, but the gameplay is just so boring and repetitive. Explorers of Sky was an endless loop of wake up, explore a dungeon (which aren't nearly as exciting as I was expecting), watch a cutscene of all the Pokemon eating dinner, then rinse and repeat. Admittedly, I've never got very far into a Mystery Dungeon game - maybe they get better as they go on? But if the early part of the game doesn't hold my attention enough for me to want to keep playing, then that isn't a very well-designed game in my opinion.

In fact, I might even go so far as to say that the only good spin-off game is Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire. There's quite a few I haven't tried yet, though, so maybe I'll find another one I like eventually. I got very close to liking Ranger, but the absurd spike in difficulty during the Muk mission turned me off the game completely. I might like the two sequels more because of the changes made to the capture styler.

I took a peek at Serebii.net's Crown Tundra section, and apparently...

...Keldeo can be caught without an event, if you bring Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion to a specific spot. That's another "Mythical Pokemon done right" I can add to my list.
Also the player cannot evolve until the postgame. I like to use Charizard in Mystery Dungeon.

Mystery Dungeon Sky is the high pinnacle of Enjoy the Story, Skip the Game. Honestly I say just do yourself a favor and watch Marriland's playthrough of it or smth, it isn't worth the grind

Admittedly, I've never got very far into a Mystery Dungeon game - maybe they get better as they go on?
Yeah, I've always found the PMD games to be rather slow at first, Explorers especially. Once you get a bit further into the Explorers games, there'll be some adventure segments and you don't go through the same process of wake up, eat, and explore until after you complete them. The end game essentially becomes that, however, especially after you finish all the main end-game quests.

That being said, I totally get your frustrations with the game. The PMD games can get super grindy at times, and that has a very specific appeal.

That being said, I totally get your frustrations with the game. The PMD games can get super grindy at times, and that has a very specific appeal.
Not helped by the fact that roguelikes can be pretty brutal if you don't do that. I don't think I got farther than the fourth dungeon in Chocobo's Dungeon for the PS1, for example. Don't let the cute graphics fool you, it really needs patience.

I really hate these reasons to bash a Pokémon:

-"It doesn't look like a Pokémon": Apparently some people ignore the whole variety of designs we got in Gen I, and the style was not going to stay static like in Dragon Quest. Things were going to change. Plus there's the fact that there are more than two people designing Pokémon-

-"It looks like a Digimon": No, it doesn't. Digimon has a pretty specific artstyle that doesn't look much like Pokémon to me, specially the official Bandai artwork.

Having recently played Digimon Cyber Sleuth I really think Digimon have a far less house style to Pokémon- while both feature a wide range of designs I found digimon to have so many more clashing styles than Pokémon that I often looked at some and thought “who the hell thought that one was a good idea?” But my bigger gripe with Digimon designs is that far too many were essentially just a human in a costume.

With Pokémon designs I tend to find even those that I don’t particularly like tend to grow on me in time - I still wouldn’t ever have a Bruxish on my team but I don’t react by retching when it appears like I did when I first saw it :p (exaggerating for effect obviously)

I’m oddly peeved about the fact that the DLC is called Isle of Armor and not "Isle of Armour". Seriously, it’s a British region, the least they could do was use the British spelling. I’m also not a fan of he changes American English sometimes makes so it’s kind of a personal peeve to me.
Like what?

I’m oddly peeved about the fact that the DLC is called Isle of Armor and not "Isle of Armour". Seriously, it’s a British region, the least they could do was use the British spelling. I’m also not a fan of he changes American English sometimes makes so it’s kind of a personal peeve to me.

I would have preferred it to be spelled "Isle of Armour" as well. It's strange how the people of Galar say very British things like "mum" and "telly" and "naff" and "faff", but still use American spellings.

But I think they stuck with American spellings for consistency. It wouldn't really have made sense for Galarian people to use British spellings if moves and abilities still had their usual American spellings, especially as there's an ability called Shell Armor. Changing the spellings of moves and abilities for just one game would have been confusing for people outside the UK, and might have even caused compatibility problems with Pokemon HOME. So I can understand why this decision was made, even if the end result is a bit strange for us British folk. Another thing worth noting is that people in Galar may not even speak English, as evidenced by the fictitious writing seen throughout the region, in which case the American spellings - and the British turns of phrase - are just translations.

There was no excuse for not giving the characters British accents in Twilight Wings though, as much as I adore that series. But I digress, this thread is about the games!

Last edited:
There was no excuse for not giving the characters British accents in Twilight Wings though, as much as I adore that series. But I digress, this thread is about the games!

I prefer no attempt at a British accent to the typical terrible American TV/Film British accents - if they want to make the effort and cast some genuine Brits with some appropriate regional accents that’s another matter though.

Back
Top Bottom