• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Reaction score
Keep it clean, folks - remember, you don't have to directly insult another user to create a negative atmosphere, so try to stay away from using charged language when discussing games or mechanics ('dumb', 'idiotic', 'worthless' etc).

And with that out of the way, it's time to put on the knuckle-dusters...

1: N is completely right, and you can kind of tell that the Gen V games aren't comfortable addressing his worldview head-on. One of the major appeals of the main series titles is the heavily personalised experience, predicated on owning and manipulating stylised animals. Let's be real, we're not here because Weezing is our friend, but because we taught our Weezing Thunderbolt.

2: Sinnoh is fondly remembered primarily because Diamond and Pearl were the first titles on an excellent handheld, but they're actually very poor playthroughs (in contention for worst overall), overwhelmingly because of the species selection. In Red and Blue you'll get pounced on by vicious little rat monsters the moment you step foot in the grass, and terrorised by Mankeys and Spearows not long after. Diamond and Pearl's early species are the Duplo to the Lego, with twee, inoffensive animals like Bidoof, Budew, Buizel, Combee, Cherrim and more.

Last edited:
-I prefer the modern games over the older games.
-I don't care about the Battle Frontier and I didn't shed a tear when it was gone.
-They should have gotten rid of the Elite Four earlier.
-Blue is the worst rival. He reminds me too much of my school bullies and the fact he doesn't react much when he's beaten until the end makes me feel like it was a waste of time.

-I don't care about the Battle Frontier and I didn't shed a tear when it was gone.

Coming out swinging there.

I miss the scale of the OG Battle Frontier (it was, like, two more cities in dimensions, if not more), but was actually never tremendously enthused by the formats on offer. The later Frontier improved the formats no end, but was also far less inspiring.

Last edited:
Not certain how controversial some of these are so apologies if what I say is actually nonpolarizing.
  • I strongly dislike the idea of making Flygon and Vibrava Bug/Dragon.
  • I don't like the whole "Charizard should be Fire/Dragon" thing. I separated this from the above bullet point because it's the memes saying "How can this/these Pokemon be a Dragon but Charizard isn't?" that have really soured me to the idea, though I wouldn't want Charizard retconned regardless. Ditto for Gyarados.
  • I'm not too keen on the Kangaskan-Cubone theory and I don't think it's true. It can be easily disproven, in my opinion, by looking at the shape of Cubone's skull and the shape of both adult and baby Kangaskans' heads--they don't resemble each other.
  • I've realized that I'm rather neutral to negative on most Mega designs. As much as I like the concept, I would prefer totally new Pokemon to new Mega forms.
  • I was disappointed by the Detective Pikachu movie. I felt that it focused too much on gen 1 nostalgia and, to me, the story was much less interesting or exciting than it could have been, for one. I also feel that a few of the Pokemon weren't translated well into the realistic style, such as Sneasal. Forgot this was just for the videogames.
  • I'm not a fan of Leon.
  • I think I'm going to shy away from using a region's starter Pokemon from now on unless it really enraptures me. I like not having any Galar starters on my SwSh teams because I feel that it makes them more unique.
  • I wouldn't mind another region inspired by a part of the US if it were based on the American Southwest because, in my opinion, that part of the country is very beautiful.
  • After seeing the discussion about BW and B2W2 below, BW is a slightly better game than B2W2 in my opinion, primarily due to the story.

Last edited:
- I didn't care about the Battle Frontier and I don't see the hype around it so I kind of didn't really care when it wasn't in ORAS.

- I think X and Y honestly aren't that bad.

- Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) honestly aren't that good of games. I feel nostalgia goggles cloud judgement here. Species pool is horrendous, speed is horrendous and the overabundance of HM dependency. Platinum fixed species pool but there's still so much wrong with it.

- BW2 would have never been as good as it was if BW didn't exist. BW walked so that BW2 could run.

- I think Leon is a really bland/boring Champion. Arguably one of the most boring ones to date.

People think that? I mean, B2W2 are good, but part of that goodness in my opinion came from the continuity. Specially with the Memory Link feature.

There are people that think BW2 are better than BW, yes. But that's why I'm saying this cause I don't think they'd get that honor if BW didn't exist. BW laid down the foundations for them to build on.

- Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) honestly aren't that good of games. I feel nostalgia goggles cloud judgement here. Species pool is horrendous, speed is horrendous and the overabundance of HM dependency. Platinum fixed species pool but there's still so much wrong with it.

Excuse me, but this is the 'controversial opinions' thread, not the 'excellent opinions' thread. Any more talk like this and I'll have to intervene.

- I think Leon is a really bland/boring Champion. Arguably one of the most boring ones to date.

I'd agree that Leon himself is bland (at least, up until the postgame where he starts to demonstrate a different flair in a different environment), but I also didn't think he needed much in the way of personality - the way Galar constructs and reveres the Champion role was the most interesting part of his character, for me.

I prefer the Ultra games to the first Sun and Moon games. While the Ultra Recon Squad were there to mainly just provide exposition, I don't really care that Hau took some of Lillie's focus time. I liked so much that Hau got more focus and was the final main game battle. And all. Those. Side. Missions! They made Alola feel SO alive.

*I'm fine with single type starters.

*I really do not get the "invincible Cynthia" hype. I never found her any harder than other champions. Heck, when I replayed platinum this year she was easier than Leon had been in Sword; I almost lost to Leon but I was in control of the fight with Cynthia from the first turn.

*I also thought Team Galactic was way too over the top in how "meta" the grunts sometimes were. The previous teams were cartoonishly silly (oh no, I dropped the lift key!) but DP just seemed too self aware with things like the speech about how "if I were a comic relief villain" one gives you, or Cyrus and Looker talking about how stupid all the grunts are.

I like the 3D graphics better than the sprites it makes everything feel so much more lively.

Dexit/DLC was going to happen at some point so they might get it out of the way now.

Gens 6-8 were challenging in their own way and not at all easy as people claim.

Edit: Just thought of another one as I started replaying SoulSilver version I today and reached Goldenrod City. I am glad that they removed the slot machines/game corners from the games as I can see how they were considered gambling and if there were going to be Let's Go Johto games I can see it and Voltorb Flip being removed as well.

Last edited:
*I also thought Team Galactic was way too over the top in how "meta" the grunts sometimes were. The previous teams were cartoonishly silly (oh no, I dropped the lift key!) but DP just seemed too self aware with things like the speech about how "if I were a comic relief villain" one gives you, or Cyrus and Looker talking about how stupid all the grunts are.
That one has an explanation... The translator was a Something Awful user IIRC. I guess this is why they had to tone things down from DP to Platinum (e.g.: A grunt doesn't call you noob anymore). Of course, YMMV if that makes things better or worse.

*I really do not get the "invincible Cynthia" hype. I never found her any harder than other champions. Heck, when I replayed platinum this year she was easier than Leon had been in Sword; I almost lost to Leon but I was in control of the fight with Cynthia from the first turn.
I agree. I think Cynthia is overhyped. By no means is she bad, just overhyped.

Also, why did they scrap the idea of bringing the B/W protagonist back for B2/W2? It was a prime opportunity to do so! We almost had a Red 2.0, but nope...

I miss the scale of the OG Battle Frontier (it was, like, two more cities in dimensions, if not more), but was actually never tremendously enthused by the formats on offer. The later Frontier improved the formats no end, but was also far less inspiring.

For me, this was always the cruel paradox of the Battle Frontier when I was younger. The battling gameplay was far too difficult and confusing (and the factors like EVs and what-not far too invisible and grindy) for me to ever have a chance of succeeding, but there is such a thrill that comes when you're presented with this huge, open theme park that's full of these unique facilities that look unlike anything else in the game. Because I never formed any meaningful experiences there, I didn't miss it at all when ORAS deigned not to include it, but the irony is that after all the advances that SwSh have made toward disintegrating the barrier of entry on competitive battling (and with me still being too much of a self-effacing hermit to want to interact with real people in a competitive way), I would probably be very excited to give it a try, nowadays. Restricted Sparring, which I thoroughly enjoyed, was just a small taste of what I think a modern Battle Frontier could be (and I suspect that Dynamax Adventures will be another, given how it seems to operate like the Battle Factory).

Plus, I am always reminded of this ancient (I had to Wayback Machine this b, since the original article has long-since died and decayed into digital detritus) quote from an interview with Junichi Masuda and Takeshi Kawachimaru about Pokémon Platinum:
G4: Along with millions of competitive players, I'm personally looking forward to Battle Frontier. Would you tell G4 readers what they can expect in Battle Frontier?

Kawachimaru: The kind of battling you do in Battle Frontier is very different from the battling you do throughout the game's storyline. There are different rules. You'll want to use different strategies. You'll want to raise Pokemon differently. You'll need extensive knowledge of Pokemon and their moves to confront the trainers in Battle Frontier. When you play the storyline, you pretty much play alone and complete the game. In Battle Frontier, you work with friends, siblings, parents, or children. You can play together. We wanted to create an opportunity for communication, so that families and friends can talk about the different strategies they can employ.

This is entirely in the spirit of the Nintendo Switch, which as a console is very conducive of group play. Max Raid Battles and soon-to-be Dynamax Adventures are a strong example of how I think they do understand that, but I think they could take it even further. It is... curious, to me, that they are adding a Multi Battle tournament in the Crown Tundra, and yet it is one that focuses on working with AI partners. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted by the idea of getting to team up with Klara, but I think it would be even more fun if it were something you could get into with your friends, siblings, parents, children, or significant others.

-Quite a few others beat me to this already, but I really think the Sinnoh games (and Gen 4 in general) are overrated. I do like them a little more after replaying Platinum again, and some of its issues aren't AS bad as I remember, but the games still feel so slow to play, I still lost interest after the climax, I got bored of it quite frequently, and Team Galactic is still my least favorite team besides Team Rocket. I don't dislike any games and the games do have their good points, but I just don't see the "this and Gen 5 are the height of Pokemon!!" arguments.
-Also think HGSS are a bit overrated, and those are the games that got me back into Pokemon in the first place. Similar issues to the Sinnoh games, awful level curve, don't care for the story, and as much as people praise the Kanto post game I find it really boring after the first time playing it when I was a kid. As I've seen some people say, it feels empty.
-Love following Pokemon when it's there, but I also don't care if it's there or not.
-I feel XY definitely needed a third version more than Alola did, but I still love the Kalos games as they are. I also actually love the friend group besides the main rival.
-I liked the USUM storyline more than the SM one, though I liked both.
-I love the newer games just as much or more than the older games and don't feel the games have gotten worse at all.
-While I definitely have problems with Let's Go and it's somehow hard to go back to after SWSH, I still found the games really fun at the time.

-Also think HGSS are a bit overrated, and those are the games that got me back into Pokemon in the first place. Similar issues to the Sinnoh games, awful level curve, don't care for the story, and as much as people praise the Kanto post game I find it really boring after the first time playing it when I was a kid. As I've seen some people say, it feels empty.

Thank you.

I'm not alone on this. Kanto is quite boring. It's just a boss rush to get to Red fast and that's it.

This thread is the best thing to happen in a while smh.

I don't know how popular these are, but :wynaut:
  • Hoenn really does have too much water, and I would absolutely remove 0.2/10 points from a review of RSE/ORAS because of it
  • Whether or not the series adds open world gameplay or not, I don't care, and I don't get why people are always so insistent that it's the way the franchise needs to go.
  • The mobile games were an inevitability, and I don't consider them a hindrance to the main franchise in any way.
  • X and Y were most certainly flawed, but they are easily my second main series games.
  • Gen 4 has my favorite gym leader roster, both difficulty-wise and character-wise; and that's one of the three reasons reasons I want a remake. The other two are that I want a 3D underground, and because it will mean Johto remakes come sooner. Everything else is irrelevant.
  • I don't particularly love gen 5. I did enjoy BW2, but the only thing I really care about is that game's side content. I don't find the main game and story that enjoyable.
  • Voltorb flip is fun and it's better than slots
  • The battle tower is boring and I cannot understand how anyone can clear 21+ battles in it and still find it fun. I would take literally any other kind of battle facility over it. Like, an entire battle frontier without that tower would be fantastic

Back
Top Bottom