• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

The problem with the current Exp. Share to some people is that it's hardly taking the level curve of any of the games it's been part of into account with the exception of very few battles (and that's debatable), meaning people that want to skip the grind but also have a consistent challenge are shit out of luck because they most likely get overleveled, making the game a bore to them because nothing is challenging except a few rare instances. So, they either turn it on and make the game too easy, or turn it off and have to grind to keep the teams on a consistent level. It's a lose-lose situation.

The only solution is to micromanage so much your exp gain, but i doubt a lot of people like to do that.

The grinding part is not the fault of the Exp. Share being lost, though - it's the fault of the other game design mechanics themselves. If there was a way to cut down the process of grinding to balance levels without cutting into the immersion, I'd be all for it. But Exp. Share, unfortunately, is more or less a hack solution - and something needing a much better replacement.
Yeah, i have been thinking about this lately. They could have just made pokemon take less exp to level instead of the current amount needed and then have to come up with the Exp. Share to make it less grindy. Of course the issue that would rise from this is that people that like to grind for their levels would be forced into this system that makes pokemon level up way too fast because they have no way to control it (unlike with the Exp Share in games before SwSh where you can turn it off), but they could just introduce difficulty levels or, i don't know, make the level curve take the exp requirements into account.

In other words, there's no way to do this that makes everyone happy.

Of course, you could try not battling every Pokemon you come across and avoid avoidable trainers most of the time. I did that and it kept the difficulty consistent for me.

Difficulty levels would outright fix most, if not all issues with this. People that want a challenge play on Hard, and people that want an easy time play on Easy. Of course Pokemon has to be so behind so many franchises in terms of basic features that one that has been a thing since the 80s is apparently too much to implement.

Of course, you could try not battling every Pokemon
I don't battle every pokemon i see. In fact i avoid most of them except when i want to catch them.

and avoid avoidable trainers most of the time
Might as well tell me to battle just the mandatory trainers. If i have to avoid so much to not get overleveled, maybe the devs should take it as a hint that the level is curve is bad.

Last edited:
I'mma be real with you.

If we get another Kanto game where Leaf/Green actually plays an active role by being like your secondary (minor) rival, I'd take it in a goddamn heartbeat.

I'm a simple man.

In another Kanto remake 10 years from now I do hope we’re Red again, with Megas like in Origins/LGPE, with Blue AND Green as our rivals and an actual Mew origin storyline, like how we got Deoxys in ORAS.

You know, something I really hate about fanart, fanfiction or other stuff involving the rivals and their respective protagonist (Friend group, I guess?), is that a lot of them choose to... flat out ignore one of the protagonists. ANd it's pretty much always the male one.

The amount of times I've seen Galar group fanart and it's just Gloria, Marnie, Hop and Bede, you don't want to know. It's like they don't exist at all while for example Gen 5 showed that even if you don't pick them, they still exist in the world (Same with Ethan/Lyra, Lucas/Dawn, Serena/Calem, you get the point).

In short, I guess I demand equal protagonist rights.

I mean, I kinda get it? The protagonists are more or less self inserts by definition, so outside of the few situations in which the opposite characters are given personalities because they become full fledged characters (like say, Serena / Calem in Kalos) they're essentially OCs, and so most people will only have a connection with the one they choose to play.

And from a fanfiction perspective, considering juggling a lot of characters is hard, let alone "original" ones, and fanfiction writing is a predominantly female field, I can see why the male protagonist would be forgotten.

While visual media like fanart doesn't have to deal with character arcs, drawing is non trivial, and also predominantly female and so the same reasons apply here, really.

and fanfiction writing is a predominantly female field
also predominantly female
You know, I've never seen any actual proof of this stereotype. I've seen plenty of fanfic writers of both genders. Some of which are way older than the stereotypical demographic.

You know, I've never seen any actual proof of this stereotype. I've seen plenty of fanfic writers of both genders. Some of which are way older than the stereotypical demographic.

Since there aren't official censi run by the platforms, as far as I know, we'll have to make do with community-ran ones.

In a census taken on AO3 in 2013, 80% of the census takers identified as female.

A study made with FanFiction.net accounts that joined in 2010 showed that 78% of the analyzed accounts identified as female.

Under the assumptions that those censi are statistically significant, I think it's reasonable to say that those communities' demographics (and the broader fanfic community in general, given the size of FFN and AO3) are unlikely to have shifted to the point that women weren't the majority.

That said, it's possible that when you restrict the community to a particular fandom / subculture (for example, fanfiction writers that are also on BMG) the demographics do shift due to the fandom / subculture in general having a substantially different demographic, so that might account for the difference in your experience.

and fanfiction writing is a predominantly female field,

I used to be a lot into fanfics in the past (I used to write them myself as well), and the guys\girls proportion were pretty much 50\50.

By this reasoning then we can also say there're more female book authors than males? I doubt it's the case.

I used to be a lot into fanfics in the past (I used to write them myself as well), and the guys\girls proportion were pretty much 50\50.

By this reasoning then we can also say there're more female book authors than males? I doubt it's the case.
I do write fanfiction too. More of a personal anecdote, but I have two blogs on Tumblr, one for male readers and one where I have a character based on myself as a Pokémon Professor. It's pretty fun and all. But in the Male Reader blog, where I write especifically for MXM content, I have seen multiple instance of girls coming up to MXM writers/blogs and start demanding we write for FXM too. Even thought that they themselves refuse to write any content for male readers. It's been a fight for YEARS. It's almost impossible to find content for male readers, cuz it just gets drowned in female ones. Obviously they deserve that space, but we also deserve ours.

My point being: in the fanfic world, as somebody who's doing it right now, I see that most of the readers are girls/female-alligned people.

I do write fanfiction too. More of a personal anecdote, but I have two blogs on Tumblr, one for male readers and one where I have a character based on myself as a Pokémon Professor. It's pretty fun and all. But in the Male Reader blog, where I write especifically for MXM content, I have seen multiple instance of girls coming up to MXM writers/blogs and start demanding we write for FXM too. Even thought that they themselves refuse to write any content for male readers. It's been a fight for YEARS. It's almost impossible to find content for male readers, cuz it just gets drowned in female ones. Obviously they deserve that space, but we also deserve ours.

My point being: in the fanfic world, as somebody who's doing it right now, I see that most of the readers are girls/female-alligned people.
Oh, ok, got it. I've been away from this world for several years already, had no idea what would be happening right now.

I mean, it's hard to say for sure because the internet brings a lot of anonimity but I did link two censi that seemed to support that women are more prevalent in fandom.

That said, I do concede that there could be some reasons that introduce bias in that research. As BackSet mentioned, men could be unwilling to participate due to the perceived femininity of the field.

From the top of my head, I could say the prevalence of M/M stories in general* could put off some heterosexual men that were otherwise willing from participating.

* I am aware that some fandoms have more even amounts of F/M and F/M, but in AO3 as whole there are roughly thrice as much F/M than F/F and roughly twice as much M/M than F/M. And while anecdotal, the one fandom I keep up with that has predominantly F/F pairings (and to a lesser extent, F/M) does seem to have more male (or at least "male by default") authors, so I think it's not a particularly bad guess.

Nothing is wrong with Lucario and Charizard getting attention. So some shun them now?
I agree that just because Lucario and Charizard are popular, doesn't mean that they should be hated. And most people who dislike them, it's because they are popular, not because of their looks, or stats, or anything else. Just because they want to have different opinions than the majority (Most Lucario and Charizard haters, not all of them.) And some people, even if they thought Charizard and Lucario looked cool or something, they would still dislike it because they are popular and they want to be different. thats just what I think. But the hate for Pikachu, I totally understand. With the other two, you have a dragon and some sort of aura dog, two cool things, but get hated because their popular, and then a cute mouse that doesn't even look like a mouse. I do admit, that my hate for Pikachu is because of it's popularity, but thats because it's EVERYWHERE. Unlike Lucario (not so much Charizard, he's like Pokemon's secondary mascot). Thats just my opinion. And I can tell I'm about to get murdered by Chidamari Sketch and Squid chan

I do like Lucario, and I have zero problems with it (in fact, it's my third favorite Pokémon).

Charizard, on the other hand, it's not only overexposure the problem, I also had playthroughs with it and it also overshadowed completely both Blastoise and Venusaur. I kinda feel it's also my Water starter bias speaking.

Pikachu has a bigger problems for me: its appearance is meh, it's freakin' weak and it's literally everywhere. One of the biggest selling points for BW for me was the absence of Pikachu.

I do like Lucario, and I have zero problems with it (in fact, it's my third favorite Pokémon).
It's my favorite non-Generation I Pokémon.
Charizard, on the other hand, it's not only overexposure the problem, I also had playthroughs with it and it also overshadowed completely both Blastoise and Venusaur. I kinda feel it's also my Water starter bias speaking.
Charizard is my favorite starter, probably because of nostalgia reasons and it being my first starter ever in LeafGreen.
Pikachu has a bigger problems for me: its appearance is meh, it's freakin' weak and it's literally everywhere. One of the biggest selling points for BW for me was the absence of Pikachu.
Raichu is my favorite Pokémon, and the poor guy deserves more love over its evolution.

Last edited:
People are reading too deep into the reason why there "isn't" a dolphin Pokémon. First of all, Kyogre is based on an orca, and don't say it doesn't count because it's a legendary. Secondly, I've seen someone on this forum say that it's because whaling is controversial in Japan... hence why there are actual whale Pokémon? There are a lot of things that the fandom needs to apply Occam's Razor to, but this one's been on my mind lately.

My guess is that either they have other priorities or they just went with "too obvious". I mean, it took them 20 years to make a wolf Pokémon*.

*Depends on what you think about Lucario since we still don't know what an Anubian jackal is.

Back
Top Bottom