• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Wall of text incoming

1) Add a hard/challange mode for people who would want it. A lot of people, like me, feel like the modern games (besides usum) are way too easy. Just spamming your most powerful attack to win battles doesn't feel satisfying, I want more strategy involved.

2) The battle system is way too slow for its own good. Update the nearly 30 year old code to make the battles more seamless and fast, while also having good animations. I don't want to wait an entire minute to see everyone get hurt by hail. This old 3d render of batte revolution is a perfect representation of how I want battles to be

View: https://youtu.be/uzpwF7oZZKU

3) Make the main journeys longer. You can beat most pokemon games in around only 10 hours if you know what you're doing. Meawhile other modern rpgs like dragon quest and persona take like 50-70 hours to finish. I wish the journeys took at least 40 hours to beat.

4) The games NEED more single player postgame, a lackluster battle tower is not enough. The fact that HGSS has more things to do during post-game than swsh is embarrassing.

But Lucario was introduced in Gen 4?

Not to be 'that guy' but wasn't Lucario technically introduced during Gen 3 since it was officially revealed in early 2005, about a year and a half before D/P were even released? I mean yeah it counts as a Gen 4 Pokemon but most of us who were fans around the time of Lucario's debut consider the Movie 8 era as being part of Gen 3.

Speaking of the Zoroark being pushed as the "Lucario" of Gen 5, i think its design is better than Lucario. I have actually never cared much for Lucario and i find Zoroark much better designed.

It feels less "busy" (even though Lucario isn't all that busy to begin with), i love that it's red, grey and black (bias here because those are some of my favorite colors), and its ability is amazing on how trolly it is. It's one of the best designs in Generation 5 in my opinion and kind of shame it never got popular (even if i don't care much if a pokemon gets popular or not). It was thinly veiled how it was being pushed as the Lucario of Gen 5, so i guess that's a reason why it never got popular.

1) Add a hard/challange mode for people who would want it. A lot of people, like me, feel like the modern games (besides usum) are way too easy. Just spamming your most powerful attack to win battles doesn't feel satisfying, I want more strategy involved.
This isn't controversial in the slightest, methinks.

I never minded the "human like" Pokémon, which I tend to think of representing various human like creates from mythology such as Ogres or Unseelie.

It's one of the best designs in Generation 5 in my opinion and kind of shame it never got popular
I do wonder if the decision to make Zoroark event-only during the initial BW release torpedoed it's chance to become a Lucario tier hit; getting a Riolu egg in DP surely helped make it memorable since it lets you have one in-game.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Mew was the main "event" mon that took off, and that's probably at least partly because it had a unique mystique later event Pokémon seem to lack due to their now being so many of them and it's clear they aren't hidden away in the game to be dug up by the right player (unless you count that Fly glitch that lets you capture one :p).

I do wonder if the decision to make Zoroark event-only during the initial BW release torpedoed it's chance to become a Lucario tier hit; getting a Riolu egg in DP surely helped make it memorable since it lets you have one in-game.
I forgot to add this to my post because i hated that Zorua was event only in Black and White. I get the events for like Mew, Celebi and the other cute Mythicals (even though i hate events in general), but here it was just baffling.

I know they made events for non mythical pokemon before Zorua, but it was for references to pokemon for trainers in the anime and similar stuff, and it was for pokemon that people could catch ingame already. Zorua wasn't catchable ingame, it wasn't a reference to some trainer in the anime, and it wasn't mythical.

Locking the poster child of your new generation behind an event was a dumb thing in my opinion.

3) Make the main journeys longer. You can beat most pokemon games in around only 10 hours if you know what you're doing. Meawhile other modern rpgs like dragon quest and persona take like 50-70 hours to finish. I wish the journeys took at least 40 hours to beat.
Eh, hard disagree. I don't know anything about DQ, but one of the biggest problems with modern Persona games is the sheer amount of bloat in them, mainly due to structuring the narrative around a school year. Pokémon hits just the right amount for casuals like me who don't want to sink 40+ hours of our lives into Pokémon's repetitive gameplay.

Not to be 'that guy' but wasn't Lucario technically introduced during Gen 3 since it was officially revealed in early 2005, about a year and a half before D/P were even released? I mean yeah it counts as a Gen 4 Pokemon but most of us who were fans around the time of Lucario's debut consider the Movie 8 era as being part of Gen 3.
If you're using "introduced" to mean "revealed to the public", yes, but in the context of the conversation, "introduced" meant "added to the games".

2) The battle system is way too slow for its own good. Update the nearly 30 year old code to make the battles more seamless and fast, while also having good animations. I don't want to wait an entire minute to see everyone get hurt by hail. This old 3d render of batte revolution is a perfect representation of how I want battles to be
View: https://youtu.be/uzpwF7oZZKU

4) The games NEED more single player postgame, a lackluster battle tower is not enough. The fact that HGSS has more things to do during post-game than swsh is embarrassing.
3 is the only one I can see being remotely controversial. What sites are you going to where people are firmly against difficulty modes, streamlining gameplay, and giving more postgame content?

I also think that they should stop making remakes all together because they take up too much development effort that could be used on new generations but before they stop doing remakes I want them to make Black and White 3.
I'm against the idea of them making a Let's go johto unless it's being made by an external company like ILCA because I'm tired of new generations having such a low amount of content at launch.
Eh, hard disagree. I don't know anything about DQ, but one of the biggest problems with modern Persona games is the sheer amount of bloat in them, mainly due to structuring the narrative around a school year. Pokémon hits just the right amount for casuals like me who don't want to sink 40+ hours of our lives into Pokémon's repetitive gameplay.

We can agree to disagree
In fact, swsh is the only pokemon game I bought that I don't have 100+ hours in. I put ALot to time into my pokemon games and I wish the games had more story gameplay, maybe something like 18 gyms would be cool.

3 is the only one I can see being remotely controversial. What sites are you going to where people are firmly against difficulty modes, streamlining gameplay, and giving more postgame content?

Twitter, everyone's favorite website lol.
People on that site will dedicate their entire online lives to defending gamefreak. I honestly question why I have an account on there lmao

I also think that they should stop making remakes all together because they take up too much development effort that could be used on new generations but before they stop doing remakes I want them to make Black and White 3.
I'm against the idea of them making a Let's go johto unless it's being made by an external company like ILCA because I'm tired of new generations having such a low amount of content at launch.
With outsourcing and team separation on the table, it’s basically a non-issue at this point.

Twitter, everyone's favorite website lol.
People on that site will dedicate their entire online lives to defending gamefreak. I honestly question why I have an account on there lmao
There are also people there who will dedicate their entire online lives to tearing game freak a new one. Both sides are equally stupid.

I agree. I understand the need for exposition text in the earlier gens but nowadays it feels like small animations would make the battle flow much better. And in case people have doubts they can use the "info" tab that appears when selecting an action. Watching the video also made me think that comic book bubbles would look cooler than the plain text we have now.

I don't really care what they do with the battles as long as they're enjoyable. Which means Pokemon either needs to make me like turn based battles or switch things up.

Back
Top Bottom