• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Because it's more recognizable. Not everyone knows about Pokémon gender differences. The male design is the one that's always been used and is more commonly known.

Plus, the female variant didn't even exist until Gen 4, an entire decade into the series's life.

(Indeed, for this very reason I feel like it was kind of a mistake to give Pikachu a gender difference.)

Last edited:
(Indeed, for this very reason I feel like it was kind of a mistake to give Pikachu a gender difference.)
I feel the exact same way about Eevee getting one as well, especially since that one came about over twenty years into the franchise's life. I would have much rather the heart-shaped tail markings for female Eevee remained exclusively a Let's Go thing.

I didn't cared one bit for the Battle Frontier being gone in ORAS. The Delta Episode was an way better postgame. I get that some people did liked it very much, and I do get why people were upset for it to being gone, but in all honesty, it not being there doesn't makes the game bad in the slightest.

Karen's quote is horrendously overrated.
A portion of Karen's quote is also arguably wrong. Some pokemon are just flat out objectively better than others, with either better stats, typing, abilities, or all of the above. So there's no "selfish perception" when you look at which pokemon is strong and which is weak.

The Eviolite should have never been created, as the whole point of evolving is getting stronger, not getting outclassed by pre-evolved forms.
The number of pre-evolutions that are truly made better then their evolutions by Eviolite's sole existence is ridiculously tiny, though. Literally the only ones I can think of are Chansey and Dusclops. Everything else is still always worse than its evolved form even with the Eviolite.

The number of pre-evolutions that are truly made better then their evolutions by Eviolite's sole existence is ridiculously tiny, though. Literally the only ones I can think of are Chansey and Dusclops. Everything else is still always worse than its evolved form even with the Eviolite.
Galarian Corsola is famously much better than Cursola. Galarian Mr. Mime arguably is better than Mr. Rime in a lot of cases, too. But I agree with what you’re saying.

I actually hate Eviolite’s existence for a different reason: it makes it a lot less likely that certain Pokémon will ever receive an evolution. Like, Skarmory or Shuckle would become rather broken if they could suddenly use Eviolite. I kind of wish the item only worked on Pokémon who were never considered fully evolved but I doubt that would ever be implemented.

Galarian Corsola is famously much better than Cursola. Galarian Mr. Mime arguably is better than Mr. Rime in a lot of cases, too. But I agree with what you’re saying.
lol, I can't believe I actually forgot about Galarian Corsola XD

Still, that's only a total of four pre-evolved Pokemon out of a pool of literally hundreds, so it still feels weird to complain about Eviolite making Pokemon better than their evolved forms when in practice that hardly ever happens.

That said, it's true that Eviolite's existence has had an impact on the way evolution is handled in recent games: lines with three stages have become extremely rare outside of starters and pseudo-legendaries for example, and there tend to be a huge gap in BST between evolution stages too, regardless of if a middle one exists or not.

Last edited:

Still, that's only a total of four pre-evolved Pokemon out of a pool of literally hundreds, so it still feels weird to complain about Eviolite making Pokemon better than their evolved forms when in practice that hardly ever happens.

That said, it's true that Eviolite's existence has had an impact on the way evolution is handled in recent games: lines with three stages have become extremely rare outside of starters and pseudo-legendaries for example, and there tend to be a huge gap in BST between evolution stages too, regardless of if a middle one exists or not.
Exactly. I mean, they cut plenty of Pokémon and moves, couldn’t they have just trashed Eviolite while they were at it? :p

At one point I had wondered if Eviolite could be re-purposed to give a Pokémon their evolved forms stats (but not Ability, Typing, or moves) as a way to make it situationally interesting but also get around the issues with it making some Pokémon better than their evolved form and letting them give evolutions to some extra lines who could use just a small boost.

Then I remembered Slaking exists.

Exactly. I mean, they cut plenty of Pokémon and moves, couldn’t they have just trashed Eviolite while they were at it? :p
I'm still really salty that they got rid of so many good coverage moves like Jump Kick and Signal Beam but Attract, which is literally the most useless status effect in the games and one that's full of unfortunate implications on top of it, was allowed to stay.

I would also argue that the addition of Eviolite was a huge factor in what made Spritzee an Little Cup Uber tho.

I would want an version of Eviolite that actually boosted the non-evolved Pokémon Attack and Special Attack stats tho. It could be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom