• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I would also argue that the addition of Eviolite was a huge factor in what made Spritzee an Little Cup Uber tho.
Yeah but it's still not superior to its evolved form in the big scheme of things, and the main complaint that brought up Eviolite implied that it automatically made every unevolved Pokemon better than its evolutions by default when that's only ever happened a small handful of times.

I would want an version of Eviolite that actually boosted the non-evolved Pokémon Attack and Special Attack stats tho. It could be interesting.
Well, technically that already exists in the form of the Light Ball, even if it's exclusive to just Pikachu. But I do agree it might be interesting to, if not have a version of Light Ball that works on all prevos, then at least devise a method for unevolved Pokemon to be as usable (but not surpass, because otherwise what would be the point of evolution) as their evolved forms, if only because I've met a not insignificant number of people who like certain designs better than their evolutions and would like for them to be usable on a competitive or semi-competitive team.

...and tbh I myself admittedly would love to be able to use an Archen or a Joltik as more than gimmicks.

Coalossal_%28dream_world%29.png
I like Coalossal's design and prefer it over the numerous train-like fan alternatives. I'm uncertain exactly how controversial this is, but I have seen several people express their dislike for the design. I've heard a couple complaints about how Coalossal is uncreative, which I do understand, however I'd say taking a train and just making it a rock is probably as uncreative as the current Coalossal design. Also, I've seen a lot of Coalossal-train fanart, and almost all of it looks more like a Digimon or Transformer rather than a Pokémon in my opinion. That's not to say a train design couldn't work, nor that the current design is ideal (I have a few grievances with it), but I think if Coalossal were made as a train it probably wouldn't be as good as the current design in my opinion.

Well, technically that already exists in the form of the Light Ball, even if it's exclusive to just Pikachu. But I do agree it might be interesting to, if not have a version of Light Ball that works on all prevos, then at least devise a method for unevolved Pokemon to be as usable (but not surpass, because otherwise what would be the point of evolution) as their evolved forms, if only because I've met a not insignificant number of people who like certain designs better than their evolutions and would like for them to be usable on a competitive or semi-competitive team.

...and tbh I myself admittedly would love to be able to use an Archen or a Joltik as more than gimmicks.
Like, Galarian Mr. Mime is better than Mr. Rime basically cuz it's 100 in speed against 70 in speed. And guess what?

With an hypothetical Light Ball, G-Mr. Mime has an higher Special Attack stat tahn Mr. Rime. So we already have an candidate.

Normal types have a lot of possibilities, and are often slept on. Since they’re sort of the odd sock drawer, they have a lot of design potential. Like Obstagoon, a rock star! Or Lickitung, a giant tongue creature! Or Porygon, an epilepsy-inducing duck cyberspace computer!
They’re given a lot more freedom to have fun, zany designs because they aren’t stereotyped. Like, there are always going to be fish Pokémon and rock Pokémon. But Normal types can be different than normal, if that makes any sense.

I like Coalossal's design and prefer it over the numerous train-like fan alternatives. I'm uncertain exactly how controversial this is, but I have seen several people express their dislike for the design. I've heard a couple complaints about how Coalossal is uncreative, which I do understand, however I'd say taking a train and just making it a rock is probably as uncreative as the current Coalossal design. Also, I've seen a lot of Coalossal-train fanart, and almost all of it looks more like a Digimon or Transformer rather than a Pokémon in my opinion. That's not to say a train design couldn't work, nor that the current design is ideal (I have a few grievances with it), but I think if Coalossal were made as a train it probably wouldn't be as good as the current design in my opinion.
I think part of the problem people have with Coalossal's design has less to do with the design itself and more to do with it just feeling like too big a deviation from the theme its pre-evolutions were going for: Rolycoly has that little wheel, and then when it evolves into Carkol it becomes a minecart, so to a lot of people, the final stage ending as a full blown steampunk train felt like the logical conclusion for the line... only for Coalossal to end up an Aggron/Rhyperior clone instead. I think the disappointment is understandable, as in a way it does feel like Coalossal ends up a more generic and predictable creature than its own pre-evolved forms. Basically, it's another Dragonair-to-Dragonite scenario, where plenty of people like both, just not as evolutionary relatives due to how hard the latter deviates from the former.

I was surprised when Coalossal turned out the way it did, but I actually really like it! Its angular eyes are reminiscent of the Gen 1 designs. It's fun when a Pokemon's evolutionary path takes an unexpected turn.

I wonder whether the artist might have considered giving it a more train-like appearance at one point, only to find that it didn't really work as a Pokemon design. Creatures based on transportation vehicles are perhaps best left to Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Coalossal does have rounded hips and shoulders that resemble wheels. The shape of its face also looks rather like a "pilot" that you might see mounted on the front of a steam locomotive.

Last edited:
I'm also on the 'should have looked more like a train' train. I still like it well enough that it featured in my in-game team, coming as I do from a town literally semi-famous only for trains, but I have a minor niggle with the asymmetry of the design (somewhat fitting for coal, I suppose) and a major issue with the back. It's just this big, weird, slanted plank that actually became really quite disconcerting to look at in battle.

I think part of the problem people have with Coalossal's design has less to do with the design itself and more to do with it just feeling like too big a deviation from the theme its pre-evolutions were going for: Rolycoly has that little wheel, and then when it evolves into Carkol it becomes a minecart, so to a lot of people, the final stage ending as a full blown steampunk train felt like the logical conclusion for the line... only for Coalossal to end up an Aggron/Rhyperior clone instead. I think the disappointment is understandable, as in a way it does feel like Coalossal ends up a more generic and predictable creature than its own pre-evolved forms. Basically, it's another Dragonair-to-Dragonite scenario, where plenty of people like both, just not as evolutionary relatives due to how hard the latter deviates from the former.
Basically what i was going to post.

And i don't think just because fanart of a possible train-like evolution being less than well made is an argument against Gamefreak making an evolution in the same vein. If anything, Gamefreak would have most likely make something badass out of it like they have done with countless pokemon and probably would have been much better than what we got. Instead it's just a black Rhyperior with coal on its shoulders.

Last edited:
I would want an version of Eviolite that actually boosted the non-evolved Pokémon Attack and Special Attack stats tho. It could be interesting.
I think the reason they haven't done it is because it probably wouldn't see a lot of usage. You could run Gabite over Garchomp, it'll hit harder but it'll be slower and more frail. And when that's the case, you may as well use the more reliable Garchomp.

There will definitely be exceptions, but I think by and large the increased bulk and speed of evolutions isn't worth the slight increase in ATK & SP.A. Scyther would probably be the best user.

If it gets 50% of its 110 base ATK, it has a scary-looking 165 on top of fairly decent speed.

I think the reason they haven't done it is because it probably wouldn't see a lot of usage. You could run Gabite over Garchomp, it'll hit harder but it'll be slower and more frail. And when that's the case, you may as well use the more reliable Garchomp.

There will definitely be exceptions, but I think by and large the increased bulk and speed of evolutions isn't worth the slight increase in ATK & SP.A. Scyther would probably be the best user.

If it gets 50% of its 110 base ATK, it has a scary-looking 165 on top of fairly decent speed.
But I do think it would impact the lower tiers in the competitive tho. Like, people use unevolved Pokémon in those tiers too.

Like for example, the Gabite situation: Ofc Garchomp is better in every aspect, which is why it's OU ever since it debuted in gen 4. But imagine being able to use an stronger Gabite in PU or other lower tiers. One opportunity for an Agility and this item and it's an menace. It works like an Choice Band but without needing to lock your moves. Or imagine being able to use an Torracat, that would hit harden than an Incineroar with this theoritical item but with 30 extra points in speed to boot?

Granted, it might not see much usage from like, maybe tiers over NU, but the lowers tiers would definitely experience a great shift in their world.

I feel that the anime's same party Pokémon rule for Gym Battles (aside from Grant, being an exception) should be enforced in the games themselves; it never sat right with me that a Trainer/challenger/us could bring a full party into a 2-3 party fight. It isn't fair and one's victory can essentially be attributed to a numbers advantage.

And no, I don't think the solution is giving Gym Leaders all full parties of six Pokémon; that would drag on and I feel their team dynamic would lose its uniqueness in favor of filling up slots with their type specialty just for the sake of it. Maybe for the 8th Gym Leader, but that would be it.

I feel that the anime's same party Pokémon rule for Gym Battles (aside from Grant, being an exception) should be enforced in the games themselves; it never sat right with me that a Trainer/challenger/us could bring a full party into a 2-3 party fight. It isn't fair and one's victory can essentially be attributed to a numbers advantage.

Ehh, I mean it might not be “fair,” but I can imagine there’s younger players who maybe need the extra firepower. This is the kind of thing that you can just as easily self-implement if you want the added challenge. (Or that difficulty settings could enforce, but let’s not hold out breath for that.)

Ehh, I mean it might not be “fair,” but I can imagine there’s younger players who maybe need the extra firepower. This is the kind of thing that you can just as easily self-implement if you want the added challenge. (Or that difficulty settings could enforce, but let’s not hold out breath for that.)
Which is exactly why other measures are in place, namely there being no level limit for one's original Pokémon. Struggling with a Gym? Over-level your favorites and voila. With each passing game, grinding has become easier; Sword and Shield even have easily accessible EXP candy now in addition to an eternal EXP Share and a leveling curve that works too much to the players favor. Then you have the gamut of items (both held and non-held) one can use (including outright sharply boosting stats with X items; who needs to waste a slot on Swords Dance, etc.), conveniently placed advantageous Pokémon in nearby areas for most Gyms, poor Gym AI, lack of movesets by Gym Leader's Pokémon, affection bonuses, and so on.

Frankly, I am tired of the mentality that 7+ year old children cannot complete a modern Pokémon game without substantial assistance. Barring Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, Pokémon titles are not inherently difficult games. Also, anecdote time - as a primary elementary school teacher of several years, I am here to tell you children are capable. Give them more credit.

Which is exactly why other measures are in place, namely there being no level limit for one's original Pokémon. Struggling with a Gym? Over-level your favorites and voila. With each passing game, grinding has become easier; Sword and Shield even have easily accessible EXP candy now in addition to an eternal EXP Share and a leveling curve that works too much to the players favor. Then you have the gamut of items (both held and non-held) one can use (including outright sharply boosting stats with X items; who needs to waste a slot on Swords Dance, etc.), conveniently placed advantageous Pokémon in nearby areas for most Gyms, poor Gym AI, lack of movesets by Gym Leader's Pokémon, affection bonuses, and so on.

Frankly, I am tired of the mentality that 7+ year old children cannot complete a modern Pokémon game without substantial assistance. Barring Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, Pokémon titles are not inherently difficult games. Also, anecdote time - as a primary elementary school teacher of several years, I am here to tell you children are capable. Give them more credit.

I ain't saying all kids are incompetent. This isn't me not giving them "credit." It's just that some might have trouble that extra team members can alleviate. And who wants to grind to get overleveled? That's boring. Maybe the kid likes a lot of different Pokémon. Whatever the case, there's nothing stopping you from imposing whatever limits you think are appropriate.

since its kinda on topic ive never really gotten the whole "pokemon games should be harder!!" thing because some of us dont really care how hard the game is. if you want a harder pokemon experience just slap some challenge rules onto a new playthrough (like a nuzlocke, a solo run, ect) or play one of millions of stupidly hard kaizo rom hacks that exist. i know i dont speak for every pokemon fan in existence but i really dont care about how hard the champion smacks me around, i just wanna have fun!! to some, fun is a casual playthrough where you dont have to worry about being walled by a gym leader in order to progress the rest of the game, and a game forcefully imposing certain "hard mode" rules onto those who dont want them would honestly drive me away as a casual player

to me personally the way the games are handled in the "difficulty" department is fine and its really flexible to add your own difficulty if you think the games are too easy. wanna relax and chill without worrying about if you can beat the next rival battle?? cool!! wanna beat the game with just a magikarp in a nuzlocke setting?? go for it!! its honestly pretty cool how you can set your own difficulty in these games by changing the way you play

I ain't saying all kids are incompetent. This isn't me not giving them "credit." It's just that some might have trouble that extra team members can alleviate.
Insisting that players, namely children, participate in Gym Battles with an unfair party advantage when they do not have to, reinforces the notion, to some degree, that they are not capable of winning otherwise.

And who wants to grind to get overleveled? That's boring.
Subjectivity on grinding aside, the beauty of recent Pokémon games is that you don't even have to grind - you over level naturally just by playing as intended, giving you an automatic advantage against Gym Leaders (in addition to a plethora of other accommodations players can utilize).

Maybe the kid likes a lot of different Pokémon.
Maybe the kid wants more of a challenge. I think it's moot to bring up "maybe" points like this.

Whatever the case, there's nothing stopping you from imposing whatever limits you think are appropriate.
As someone who Nuzlockes, yes I am aware; I understood this point the first time you said it. However, every player may not do so, which is one reason why I think it should be a gameplay mechanic.

since its kinda on topic ive never really gotten the whole "pokemon games should be harder!!" thing because some of us dont really care how hard the game is. if you want a harder pokemon experience just slap some challenge rules onto a new playthrough (like a nuzlocke, a solo run, ect) or play one of millions of stupidly hard kaizo rom hacks that exist. i know i dont speak for every pokemon fan in existence but i really dont care about how hard the champion smacks me around, i just wanna have fun!! to some, fun is a casual playthrough where you dont have to worry about being walled by a gym leader in order to progress the rest of the game, and a game forcefully imposing certain "hard mode" rules onto those who dont want them would honestly drive me away as a casual player

to me personally the way the games are handled in the "difficulty" department is fine and its really flexible to add your own difficulty if you think the games are too easy. wanna relax and chill without worrying about if you can beat the next rival battle?? cool!! wanna beat the game with just a magikarp in a nuzlocke setting?? go for it!! its honestly pretty cool how you can set your own difficulty in these games by changing the way you play
I don't think many people are saying the games should receive a blanket difficulty increase, moreso that difficulty options should become a thing. I think the biggest issue with self-imposed challenges is that they can be pretty restricting, and aren't always going to provide as much of a satisfying increase in challenge as, say, improving enemy AI, enemy teams, etc. I haven't been able to get into nuzlockes because I dislike the how restricted teambuilding is, for example.

That being said, not wanting Pokémon Dark Souls version and Pokémon Bloodborne version is a totally valid opinion.

Insisting that players, namely children, participate in Gym Battles with an unfair party advantage when they do not have to, reinforces the notion, to some degree, that they are not capable of winning otherwise.
They also don't have to take the party advantage, though? As it stands, the game doesn't force the player to choose one way or the other.
However, every player may not do so, which is one reason why I think it should be a gameplay mechanic.
Isn't that a little unfair? It doesn't offer anything that the player couldn't do already, but it removes their ability to choose how they want to take on gyms.

Back
Top Bottom