• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Because Silver is part of the "jerk rival" archetype that everyone seems to adore. I hate jerk rivals. Jerk =/= better rival. Jerk rivals are totally overrated and I don't understand the fandom's obsession with them. Rivals like Barry, Cheren, Bianca, and Hugh were great examples of rivals who were both competitive with the player and still respected you. Jerk doesn't automatically equal better. Jerk means jerk, that's all there is to it.
He's not just a jerk. He actually learns to be a better person, and he has an interesting backstory for his behavior, what with his father being a mafia boss.

He's not just a jerk. He actually learns to be a better person, and he has an interesting backstory for his behavior, what with his father being a mafia boss.

He's still a jerk for 80% of the story, and it takes him to pretty much Kanto to actually show some decency, so that means he's a jerk rival. Sure, he gets character development, but that doesn't excuse his hypocritical actions for most of the game. He acts just like Team Rocket, who he despises, and he outright steals, so, yeah, that means he's a jerk. His backstory means squat when he does the exact same thing as the ones he despises. And the fandom loves him for some reason. I find him to be overrated, hypocritical, and annoying. The jerk rival archetype as a whole is pure garbage, as being a jerk doesn't make you a better rival, especially if said characters actions in-story don't justify their backstory. If I may quote from TVTropes: "There's a difference between having a sympathetic backstory and actually being sympathetic." and quite frankly his backstory doesn't justify any sympathy from me. It's one of the reasons I don't like Seto Kaiba, as he proved to be just as bad, if not worse, than his step-father, in terms of his actions when his past came to light. Actions speak louder than words, after all, and Silver's actions speak louder than anything is backstory can provide. At least his Adventures counterpart actually expanded his past and gave him a legitimate reason to be the way he is, unlike game Silver. So, unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with your point for the aforementioned reasons.

I don't know if this would be considered unpopular or controversial, but I don't like the ship of Sonia and Leon. For childhood friends they have so little interactions and the first time you see them interacting in game is just so Leon can ask Sonia to give the player and Hop the Pokédex app even though this is the first time they seen each other in forever, then the rest of them interacting is just Sonia can guide Leon around cause getting lost is his only character trait outside of being strong and analytical even back in their youth it was the same thing but then Sonia is basically just treated like a footstool for him even though he would've probably not become champion if not for her guiding him around. And then every interaction they have forward is just with someone else in the picture like the base-game story.

Yes I really am not biggest fan of Leon as a character, I like him as a champion (regardless of the Kanto-Pandering they gave him with his Charizard, seriously the face of the Galar Region and his main Pokémon not even from the region) since he gave a really worthwhile and difficult battle. But instead, I wish the Champion of Galar was actually Piers. It would be interesting twist, the champion of the region doesn't use the gimmick of generation. Like if he had Leon's unbeatable status, I imagine he would be unpopular like in the main game because he doesn't use Dynamax but no one can get rid of him because he's skilled enough to fight and defeat Dynamax trainers without the thing itself. I wonder how Team Yell would like in a game where Piers was Champion, like would he still be supporting Marnie? Like he went off to be champion but Spikemuth is still going downhill. Considering how flat of a character Leon is to me outside of his role of Champion, simply changing champion to Piers would make it lot more better to me.

Last edited:
I'd be fine with future games having much smaller amounts of available Pokemon (I'm talking no more than 150-200 programmed in) if the animations were as good as they are in New Pokemon Snap. Dexit would seem more worthwhile to me with a small roster, where the time has been taken to make each of those Pokemon look as alive and expressive as possible.

I'd be fine with future games having much smaller amounts of available Pokemon (I'm talking no more than 150-200 programmed in) if the animations were as good as they are in New Pokemon Snap. Dexit would seem more worthwhile to me with a small roster, where the time has been taken to make each of those Pokemon look as alive and expressive as possible.

The selection of the remaining species and the communication of the changes were both far worse than the concept of a streamlined roster in and of itself.

Claims that one region/Gen is particularly better than another in all ways is a fairly close-minded way of thinking. Each Generation has done something better than the others.

Totally agree. We should all come together as a fanbase and realise that all Gens are each, in their own way, superior to Gen IV.

*ducks a barrage of Piplup plushes*

and he has an interesting backstory for his behavior, what with his father being a mafia boss.

The extent to which this actually plays into his character is pretty minimal, though. It just tells us that the reason why he wants to become strong on his own is because Giovanni believed power came from bringing people together under a single banner, but then that organization turned out to be incapable of routing a 10-year-old.

So basically what it means is that he just thinks Team Rocket is cringe

Recent Gens have some of the best Pokémon designs. But they also have the worst. I’m not sure if either of those statements are controversial, though.

Pokémon designs, especially as of late, are pretty varied, and with such a whole array of Pokémon in each gen, it's understandable that, say, one generation could give you both your favorite and least favorite Pokémon.

One YouTuber tended to point out that Generation IV had the issue that many of its Pokémon could be broken down into basic geometrical shapes, with Drapion and Lickilicky being some of the most obvious examples.

In theory, any Pokémon could be broken down into basic geometric shapes. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (heck, one of the basics of character design is shape theory), nor is it objectively a good thing.

Totally agree. We should all come together as a fanbase and realise that all Gens are each, in their own way, superior to Gen IV.

*ducks a barrage of Piplup plushes*

Diantha > Cynthia (Please don't come after me I love them both I just like Diantha a little more)

Gen 1: Better glitches
Gen 2: Better post-game
Gen 3: Better battle facilities
Gen 5: Better TM mechanics
Gen 6: Better Pokémon availability
Gen 7: Better evil team
Gen 8: Better quality of life
Checks out. ;)

Whew. I have a few that I think are kind of controversial??? but idk if I'm ready to share all of them at once :wynaut:

A few that I don't mind sharing though:
  • X and Y are some of my favorite games in the franchise. I play them repeatedly and still, almost 7 years later, constantly go back to them on my 3DS just to come up with new themed teams and try out pokemon I haven't used recently. I love the aesthetic presented throughout Kalos and just the general feeling elegance I get from it. I didn't even know XY were unpopular until I really started diving into the online fandom lol...no one I knew irl had issues with the games at the time.
    • However, this gen desperately needed, and maybe even deserved, a third game. Too many plot holes and open possibilities were wasted. I hope maybe we can revisit this region sometime if the Legends franchise becomes "a thing".
  • I'm not the biggest fan of regional forms *hides* I understand how they breathe new life into sometimes forgotten Pokemon, but I don't like how they don't serve anything beneficial to the original form. Regional forms make sense lore-wise, most of their designs are nice, and I actually have a few I really like, but I wish there was some sort of device or "gimmick" (I'm not too fond of this term but whatever) that could also breathe new life into the original Zigzagoon or Ninetales. Megas were nice and all, but maybe something different than just a battle form?
  • Personally, I don't mind linear maps.
    • so long as the routes and places of interest that I pass by are rich with content. I don't mind traveling east to west so long as the routes are full of things to look at, contain the occasional twists and complexity, and aren't just one empty dirt road. Variation in what you see really is the most important for me when exploring a new region.

Whew. I have a few that I think are kind of controversial??? but idk if I'm ready to share all of them at once :wynaut:

A few that I don't mind sharing though:
  • X and Y are some of my favorite games in the franchise. I play them repeatedly and still, almost 7 years later, constantly go back to them on my 3DS just to come up with new themed teams and try out pokemon I haven't used recently. I love the aesthetic presented throughout Kalos and just the general feeling elegance I get from it. I didn't even know XY were unpopular until I really started diving into the online fandom lol...no one I knew irl had issues with the games at the time.
    • However, this gen desperately needed, and maybe even deserved, a third game. Too many plot holes and open possibilities were wasted. I hope maybe we can revisit this region sometime if the Legends franchise becomes "a thing".
  • I'm not the biggest fan of regional forms *hides* I understand how they breathe new life into sometimes forgotten Pokemon, but I don't like how they don't serve anything beneficial to the original form. Regional forms make sense lore-wise, most of their designs are nice, and I actually have a few I really like, but I wish there was some sort of device or "gimmick" (I'm not too fond of this term but whatever) that could also breathe new life into the original Zigzagoon or Ninetales. Megas were nice and all, but maybe something different than just a battle form?
  • Personally, I don't mind linear maps.
    • so long as the routes and places of interest that I pass by are rich with content. I don't mind traveling east to west so long as the routes are full of things to look at, contain the occasional twists and complexity, and aren't just one empty dirt road. Variation in what you see really is the most important for me when exploring a new region.

I agree with almost all of this.
  • I personally love USUM and especially after revisiting both it and SM and seeing all the little and big things it added. But it always makes me just a little mad that XY was skipped over for a third version and not Alola. It doesn't make me as mad as it did years ago, but it's always a bit sad because like you said, Kalos deserved a revisit and I feel it needed it more. It's even worse because ORAS got all these new Megas and souring and all this cool new stuff that left XY feeling inferior by comparison, and then never went back to it. A Pokemon Z could have been so amazing. Still love XY, but every time Z or USUM are brought up, I feel just a tiny bit upset about it still.
  • I personally love regional forms, but it does kinda suck for the original forms, especially ones like Linoone where the Galarian forms have a whole evolution that the other doesn't. I love the ones like Vulpix and Ponyta where it feels like the two forms are different but not unequal, but not a big fan of the ones who either give the line a whole new evolution stage the old forms can't reach or the ones who just slap a second type on in addition to the type it already has.
  • I've never minded linear maps. I felt the routes in Alola and Kalos were still fun to explore for me. I am interested to see what more open world games like Legends will be like, but I personally would have been fine even if the series never moved in that direction.

I agree with almost all of this.
  • I personally love USUM and especially after revisiting both it and SM and seeing all the little and big things it added. But it always makes me just a little mad that XY was skipped over for a third version and not Alola. It doesn't make me as mad as it did years ago, but it's always a bit sad because like you said, Kalos deserved a revisit and I feel it needed it more. It's even worse because ORAS got all these new Megas and souring and all this cool new stuff that left XY feeling inferior by comparison, and then never went back to it. A Pokemon Z could have been so amazing. Still love XY, but every time Z or USUM are brought up, I feel just a tiny bit upset about it still.
  • I personally love regional forms, but it does kinda suck for the original forms, especially ones like Linoone where the Galarian forms have a whole evolution that the other doesn't. I love the ones like Vulpix and Ponyta where it feels like the two forms are different but not unequal, but not a big fan of the ones who either give the line a whole new evolution stage the old forms can't reach or the ones who just slap a second type on in addition to the type it already has.
  • I've never minded linear maps. I felt the routes in Alola and Kalos were still fun to explore for me. I am interested to see what more open world games like Legends will be like, but I personally would have been fine even if the series never moved in that direction.
Here's to hoping we get to visit it again sometime in the near future! I would love to see a sequel of the games or maybe even an original tale that takes place in the region. Idk, the inclusion of Legends may be giving me too much hope now but I really think this could be a great opportunity to experiment with ideas that wouldn't have seemed feasible in the past.

Regarding the evolution of regional forms, I 100% agree! The Obstagoon issue was the one I was just thinking about actually but who knows, maybe we'll get a Hoennian Obstagoon someday lol. Again, no hate for regional forms coming from me, but I just wish the "original" forms got some love or much needed boosts as well.

I don't mind open-world routes either so long as there is some semblance of limitation, which I know can be controversial in and of itself lol. I'd rather certain parts of the overworld be closed off until they are unlocked as opposed to being completely accessible from the get-go. I wouldn't be against the games if that wasn't the case, but I still prefer exploration that is tied with mystery, which for me, includes that sense of curiosity of the unknown dungeon.

I actually think Gen 6 is the superior 3DS generation. It had stereoscopic 3D (although admittedly I don't always use it), better multiplayer features, access to Mega Evolution during the main story, and its two game releases were completely different, set in different regions. Like you, I really vibe with the elegant aesthetic of Kalos. I find both Kalos and Hoenn a lot more appealing than Alola.

I personally found the lack of a third version in Gen 6 really refreshing. I agree that it would have been nice to see certain aspects of Kalos fleshed out more, but ideally this should have been in XY from the beginning.

I am still fond of Alola, don't get me wrong. The Gen 7 games had better stories and characters, slightly better graphics, and of course an extra batch of available Pokemon. But I find XY and ORAS more fun overall.

Last edited:
I actually think Gen 6 is the superior 3DS generation. It had stereoscopic 3D (although admittedly I don't always use it), better multiplayer features, access to Mega Evolution during the main story, and its two game releases were completely different, set it in different regions. Like you, I really vibe with the elegant aesthetic of Kalos. I find both Kalos and Hoenn a lot more appealing than Alola.

I personally found the lack of a third version in Gen 6 really refreshing. I agree that it would have been nice to see certain aspects of Kalos fleshed out more, but ideally this should have been in XY from the beginning.

I am still fond of Alola, don't get me wrong. The Gen 7 games had better stories and characters, slightly better graphics, and of course an extra batch of available Pokemon. But I find XY and ORAS more fun overall.
My issue with Alola mainly comes from the pacing. The region is lovely, and, as you've pointed out, the characters and story are quite strong, but the games seemed to come to an end almost anti-climactically? Even with USUM, it seemed to still be an issue even with the post-game content. There's just something about those games I guess :unsure:

And I think my wanting of a "Pokemon Z" game just comes from the franchise conditioning me into expecting one lol. Not having that third title didn't necessarily hinder my enjoyment since I was fond of the initial games to begin with. That being said, I wouldn't say no to another Kalos game. :wynaut:

This is going to be a very hot take but here goes... HGSS suck and don't deserve their "sacred cow" status. The level curve is atrocious, the Mon distribution is terrible, there is a noticeable lack of Johto Mons IN Johto, the TM distribution is horrid, the story is meh at best, the rival is overrated, the Spiky-Eared Pichu event takes away a more useful event, Johto as a whole is overshadowed by Kanto (again), the Pokethon is too much work for not enough reward, and the Kanto "post-game" is overrated (and I see it as the second half of the story, since Johto as a whole is rather shallow). On top of that, the Apricorn balls are terrible and highly overrated, as they suffer from a bad case of crippling overspecification. Concept-wise, they're great. Execution-wise, they're horrid and don't deserve this "sacred" status the fandom has for them. Overall, HGSS show just how bad some remakes can be, especially when they don't address the core problems outside of mechanics and glitches, which is something I'm worried about with the DP remakes coming up. So, yeah, HGSS suck and don't deserve this glorious status that everyone praises them for.
I will never understand why some gym leaders did not have Johto pokemon on their teams during the first campaign. Falkner not having Hoot-hoot, Morty not having Misdreavus, and Chuck not having Hitmontop on their teams. Especially in HGSS when they improved on most of the game.

Back
Top Bottom