• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

• Ponyta is a very viable option, I used her on my playthrough and she was the star of many battles, even packing only Stomp and 3 Fire-type moves,
Yes, but the game would have been better if more older fire types were more readily available, like Vulpix and Growlithe.

• Yeah, there are parts on the game about Steel and Ice-types, but there are other options for those, like the ever-common Fighting and Ground-types.
I don't think forcing people to use types they might not like is a good idea. A better type distribution makes sure people are more or less satisfied.

• Generation IV was when they start providing useful coverage and rounding it. Finding Pokemon who could learn Fire Punch or Pire Blast wasn't that hard.
And that fixes nothing since Fire has its strengths and weaknesses that a non-fire type with a fire type move doesn't share.

• NO TYPES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHERS. If you have an Ash Ketchum-like playstyle where you always have the Grass/Fire/Water combo, that's good for you, but don't force it in others nor assume everyone plays that way.
Yes, that's the thing people have been saying, all types should be treated equally. So why the poor representation of ice and fire?

• The Hoenn and Kanto dexes had similar problems, it's just how early Pokemon was.
They didn't have nearly 500 pokemon. And just because they did it doesn't excuse Diamond and Pearl doing it. The point of a new entry is to not repeat the same mistakes the previous entries made.

But what grinds my gears is people using that argument over and over like if it was DP's only flaw and the only reason why it should use Platinum's Dex.
No one says this, since people complain more about the slowness of Diamond and Pearl than its poor representation of ice and fire types.
That maybe true, but does it really matter in the long run?
It matters because one of the appeals of the series is replay value. How you are gonna have replay value if some types have poor representation, funneling everyone into the same two or three lines if they want to use a pokemon from that type?

Last edited:
Ponyta is a very viable option, I used her on my playthrough and she was the star of many battles, even packing only Stomp and 3 Fire-type moves,

Rapidash is actually one of my favourite Fire types, which could be why I'm more forgiving towards Diamond and Pearl's Pokedex than most. That being said, I've never actually used Rapidash in Sinnoh, because I prefer to use Pokemon that were introduced in the region.

Sinnoh introduced loads of non-Fire type Pokemon that I love, so I don't mind not using Fire types. There aren't any types I consider to be essential when building a team; it all comes down to which designs I like the most.

Mustard is probably one of the most underrated Champions of all time. Given that he was undefeated for 18 straight years, and only started losing after a tragic event naturally had a negative impact on him. No other Champion, not even the memetically revered Red, has gone undefeated for that long. Plus, he has a fun personality, can still be awesome in his old age, takes his time to mentor the younger generations, owns the entire Isle of Armor, and is the only NPC Champion to date to wield a Legendary Pokémon. And to top it all off, he has an awesome battle music too. What can I say? This old man deserves more recognition.

Mustard is probably one of the most underrated Champions of all time. Given that he was undefeated for 18 straight years, and only started losing after a tragic event naturally had a negative impact on him. No other Champion, not even the memetically revered Red, has gone undefeated for that long. Plus, he has a fun personality, can still be awesome in his old age, takes his time to mentor the younger generations, owns the entire Isle of Armor, and is the only NPC Champion to date to wield a Legendary Pokémon. And to top it all off, he has an awesome battle music too. What can I say? This old man deserves more recognition.
Adding to that, how did he achieve the Champion title? By defeating Opal - a trainer who has a Type Advantage against his team. Dude is a legend. :bulbaLove:

The Galar starters get the short end of the stick in JN :
-we have a fully evolved Cinderance, who appears less and less after evolving.
-we have a Drizzle who doesnt appear at all after evolving.
-we have a Grookey who debuts after 59 episodes into the series.

Come on writers... Starters never have been treated in such a way, not even during OS. I know there was Monferno, but still.

Yeah, I agree with you... Now that we are talking about starters, I have a controversial opinion for this one.
We don't need quadruple (however you spell it) starters that much, sure it's nice having them stand on their 4 legs but hating on a starter because it's anthro and then liking Blaziken or Infernape feels kind of hypocritical to me.
(If you don't like Blaziken or Infernape then this post is not for you)

Yeah, I agree with you... Now that we are talking about starters, I have a controversial opinion for this one.
We don't need quadruple (however you spell it) starters that much, sure it's nice having them stand on their 4 legs but hating on a starter because it's anthro and then liking Blaziken or Infernape feels kind of hypocritical to me.
(If you don't like Blaziken or Infernape then this post is not for you)
I don't think it's pokemon being bipedal strictly, I mean something like a chicken or a monkey are going to be bipedal anyway.

The issue is, for me at least, the human-like directions starters have gone in, which yes, leads to a few becoming bipedal. Litten and Torracat are both quadrupeds, so it's a little jarring to see Incineroar suddenly stand on 2 legs. It goes with the theme, though, as it would be difficult to make a heel wrestler pokemon that is fully quadrupedal. That's the issue though, they keep basing pokemon after strictly human jobs/ideas. I mean, looked at Primarina. It doesn't stand on two legs, and yet I would argue that it is one of the most human-like starters we have.

Long story short, it's the themes of the starters that kinda force them into being humanoid, which often makes them bipedal. I think a great example of the opposite would be Torterra. It is based on the world turtle idea, and it's very obvious in its design. The could've went the same route as other starters, and made the Turtwig line based off, say, a gardener or something, and then in the end made Torterra stand on its hind legs. Done right, that can be just fine, but the issue I'd with how frequently they're choosing to use human inspiration for the themes.

To this day i'm still incredibly disappointed that Incineroar turned out to be yet another bipedal fire starter based on a fighting sport. A badass quadrupedal tiger would have been amazing (even more so because it would fit with Litten and Torracat), especially because to my knowledge we don't have a pokemon base on the modern tiger (at best we have Raikou based on the sabretooth tiger).

Have you played the Ultra games? Some of the trials there are definitely challenging.
Yup! And I actually found them to be easier than the S/M ones lol :wynaut:

It's not to say that they were all cake-walks (The Brooklet Hill trial was a bit of a challenge with the Wishiwashi + Alomomola combo) but overall, I just didn't struggle that much with them. I've mentioned it many times before, but I really think that Gen VII should've been the generation where things like gyms/trials moved away from focusing solely on one type and instead incorporating mixed teams based on a theme or environment. They actually sort of did this will the Island Challenge and the ally Pokémon with some of the totems, but I think it could still be explored better.

Yup! And I actually found them to be easier than the S/M ones lol :wynaut:

It's not to say that they were all cake-walks (The Brooklet Hill trial was a bit of a challenge with the Wishiwashi + Alomomola combo) but overall, I just didn't struggle that much with them. I've mentioned it many times before, but I really think that Gen VII should've been the generation where things like gyms/trials moved away from focusing solely on one type and instead incorporating mixed teams based on a theme or environment. They actually sort of did this will the Island Challenge and the ally Pokémon with some of the totems, but I think it could still be explored better.
Alola basically told the story of a region whose Pokémon League was in its infancy. And then, Galar went the exact opposite way and told us w story of a League that was more developed than the others. I actually like that.

We don't need quadruple (however you spell it) starters that much,
Totally agree. Bipedal Pokemon usually get better move sets anyway.

Alola basically told the story of a region whose Pokémon League was in its infancy. And then, Galar went the exact opposite way and told us w story of a League that was more developed than the others. I actually like that.
I mean, I like the concept, but for me, the execution wasn't the best imo. I think the fact that the Alola league is so young could've been a great opportunity to really let loose and expand on the challenge itself.

I mean, I like the concept, but for me, the execution wasn't the best imo. I think the fact that the Alola league is so young could've been a great opportunity to really let loose and expand on the challenge itself.
I think the deviation of the player being the first Champion and taking on challengers was a big deal and letting loose of the franchise's usual formula.

I think the deviation of the player being the first Champion and taking on challengers was a big deal and letting loose of the franchise's usual formula.
The actual League itself wasn't bad (although the buildup to starting the league felt very rushed) and I loved that we could defend our title with new challengers. Those were all fine. My issues are with the Island Challenge itself and the way it was handled. It just didn't feel that challenging to me, which seems to be contrary to the general consensus.

Totally agree. Bipedal Pokemon usually get better move sets anyway.

Yeah, I've never got to understand it, sure people have their own tastes, but then they shouldn't like starters like Blaziken or Infernape while hating on Delphox and Incineroar (without giving an actual reason aside from saying "it's furry bait") I hate those kind of peoples.

Back
Top Bottom