• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

"Objectivity" used as basis for whether a game is good, rather than personal enjoyment, is questionable and overrated. Nostalgia is a perfectly valid rationale for why some fans like certain Pokémon games over others.

I always have trouble ranking or rating the games based on how objectively good they are, not least because there are so many aspects to consider like gameplay, graphics, music, story, and Pokemon/region/character designs. Then there's the fact that third versions and remakes owe so much of their success to the earlier games they were based upon - do you rate the game as a whole, or only the new content it added?

I prefer to focus on how much I enjoy each game, and I sometimes have very personal reasons for preferring one over another. I've spoken before about how Sword and Shield are my favourites because I live in the UK. To give another example, sometimes I think that I prefer Virtual Console Crystal to SoulSilver purely because it features a way to catch my favourite Mythical Pokemon, Celebi.

Last edited:
I did post in the wrong thread before (Anime controversial opinions), so I deleted my comment there and I'm posting it here.

1. The Fire/Fighting hate only became a real thing because of Tepig's line. The fact that Emboar looks so bad made people angry, not because the type itself. Had the design team went with a better design choice (quadruped wildboar, anyone?), most fans would not get mad at its type at all. Unfortunely, Tepig and its evolutions are a complete disaster, and they are going to be remembered as the weaker fire/fighting line until something worse comes out. It's sad. In my opinion, fans don't care that much about the type combination, so the Tepig's line being the third fire/fighting fire starter in a row is not the main reason behind the hate it received. It's the pokemon design that makes them pick their pokemon, and Emboar is clearly a downgrade from Inferneape and Blaziken. For example, Empoleon is my favourite pokemon, but I don't care about its type.

2. Team Plasma was the only evil team with a reasonable purpose and program. If I were a human living in the pokemon world, I could easily buy into its ideology and become a member. I don't know about you, but the fact that people can just go around and capture a wild creature in the nature is kind of awful. Also a lot of pokemon end up being abandoned. Just think about Paul. He just pick up the strongest pokemon (remember the episode in which he cought a lot of Usarings?), and treat them like trash. Pokemon clearly get hurt when they're battling, so, why not leave these creatures living their lives? N is a true leader.

I did post in the wrong thread before (Anime controversial opinions), so I deleted my comment there and I'm posting it here.

1. The Fire/Fighting hate only became a real thing because of Tepig's line. The fact that Emboar looks so bad made people angry, not because the type itself. Had the design team went with a better design choice (quadruped wildboar, anyone?), most fans would not get mad at its type at all. Unfortunely, Tepig and its evolutions are a complete disaster, and they are going to be remembered as the weaker fire/fighting line until something worse comes out. It's sad. In my opinion, fans don't care that much about the type combination, so the Tepig's line being the third fire/fighting fire starter in a row is not the main reason behind the hate it received. It's the pokemon design that makes them pick their pokemon, and Emboar is clearly a downgrade from Inferneape and Blaziken. For example, Empoleon is my favourite pokemon, but I don't care about its type.
...Why is all the discussion centered around the typing, then? Why even bring up past starters' typing if it's all about the design? Why did the discussion continue with Incineroar and Cinderace?

It's one thing to personally think Emboar's design is the bigger flaw, but to say that the fanbase as a whole is being dishonest/ignorant of their real opinions is unfair IMO.
2. Team Plasma was the only evil team with a reasonable purpose and program. If I were a human living in the pokemon world, I could easily buy into its ideology and become a member. I don't know about you, but the fact that people can just go around and capture a wild creature in the nature is kind of awful. Also a lot of pokemon end up being abandoned. Just think about Paul. He just pick up the strongest pokemon (remember the episode in which he cought a lot of Usarings?), and treat them like trash. Pokemon clearly get hurt when they're battling, so, why not leave these creatures living their lives? N is a true leader.
I was gonna say I don't think this is really a controversial opinion- Team Plasma's written to be the team with a more compelling ideology, after all- but then I saw the first post in this thread and it's about the same thing. XD

But I do want point out that a lot of Pokemon lore addresses these concerns already. Pokemon are perfectly capable of fleeing battle and disobeying their trainer, but they don't, and friendship/affection mechanics generally imply they enjoy battling, though they dislike losing.

As for abusive trainers, it's certainly a valid concern, but that's not really a fair reason to just outright ban ownership of Pokemon altogether, is it? People abuse pets in real life, but that doesn't mean that everyone should have to release their pets, it just means we need systems in place to stop it.

Yeah, the discussion seems to be mainly centered around the typing. I'm sure the design may have played a role in some of the backlash (although I guess I could controversially say I like the pig), but most of the feeling seems to be attached it being the third fire/fighting starter in a row.

Here's a hot take: I LIKE Emboar and I LIKE Fire/Fighting. The type offers some unique traits that you don't see too often elsewhere. Plus, only Starters have had the type combo, so that makes it more interesting to me. On the subject of Emboar, for starters (see what I did there), it has a stupidly diverse movepool. Have you seen what the Mon can offer in terms of battle options? It's one of the few Fire-types to actually have a damaging Water move (Scald), which is unheard of normally. Out of all the Unova starters it's got some of the best options to choose from, as Samurott is (fittingly) middle-of-the-road and Serperior has virtually nothing outside of Normal and Grass, especially in their debut gen. And as Staraptor has proven, Reckless can be a wrecking ball (and it actually has more than enough bulk to fire off those moves with gusto). And the fact that it can fire moves from either attacking spectrum is great (granted, Attack outclasses Special Attack, but the latter is still completely useable). In terms of its design, I love the flaming beard, as it looks so bad@$$. And it's shiny is to die for. Plus, even though I know very little about the origin of its design, I find it rather cool regardless. So, yeah, I like the Tepig line, as I see it as the only good Starter in the trio due to its sheer versatility alone, much less other factors that I adore about it.

Yeah, the discussion seems to be mainly centered around the typing. I'm sure the design may have played a role in some of the backlash (although I guess I could controversially say I like the pig), but most of the feeling seems to be attached it being the third fire/fighting starter in a row.
For me it was a little of both tbh. I was annoyed that we got our 3rd Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon line in a row and I also thought that Tepig's evolutions looked bloody awful. Tepig itself was kinda cute but there was only so much ugliness from Pignite and Emboar that I could stomach...

Not sure if this is controversial, but I liked it how in Generation V, if you teach a Pokemon a TM move, then the PP of said move will have the PP of the move that is being replaced, meaning you can't use TMs to restore PP. They should have kept this in later games, too.

It might sound strange but hear me out. I think Dark should be super effective against Normal. Whenever I say this people look at me like I've gone mad but here's my logic. Normal is weak to Fighting, the most accepted logic behind this is a normal person gets into a fight with a martial artist and obviously gets plastered so Normal people lose to trained fighters. But you know what else a normal person would lose too? A violent and hardened criminal. Picture your average joe getting into a scrap with a local gangbanger. Doesn't turn out well for the average joe does it? Especially since they usually won't be trained or prepared for being ganged up on (beat up), hit in vulnerable locations (throat chop), having random stuff thrown at them (fling) or being attacked by blades when they aren't looking (night slash).

It might sound strange but hear me out. I think Dark should be super effective against Normal. Whenever I say this people look at me like I've gone mad but here's my logic. Normal is weak to Fighting, the most accepted logic behind this is a normal person gets into a fight with a martial artist and obviously gets plastered so Normal people lose to trained fighters. But you know what else a normal person would lose too? A violent and hardened criminal. Picture your average joe getting into a scrap with a local gangbanger. Doesn't turn out well for the average joe does it? Especially since they usually won't be trained or prepared for being ganged up on (beat up), hit in vulnerable locations (throat chop), having random stuff thrown at them (fling) or being attacked by blades when they aren't looking (night slash).
By that logic normal should be weak to everything, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Dark and Ice types should receive some buff. In opinion each type should be effective against 3 types and weak to 3 types. But it's too late to fix it now. Grass, Ice and Rock types will be cursed forever. You have a point.

Dark and Ice types should receive some buff. In opinion each type should be effective against 3 types and weak to 3 types. But it's too late to fix it now. Grass, Ice and Rock types will be cursed forever. You have a point.
I would rather Bug and Ice get a buff. Currently, bug hits very poorly against a lot of powerful types, and Ice will melt under almost anything.
Also, unpopular opinion, Grass types have a good stat spread as they are right now.

By that logic normal should be weak to everything, wouldn't it?
Well maybe not Bug but you've gotta draw the line somewhere otherwise everything made of meat or plant material should be weak to Poison and Steel (bullets). Thing is Dark is similar to Fighting in how it describes a fighting style, a way of life and mentality which is why my train of thought went to Dark vs Normal instead of everything else. That and I play a lot of Grand Theft Auto and I don't think I need to explain why you don't want to be an average joe in that world.

Last edited:
Well maybe not Bug but you've gotta draw the line somewhere otherwise everything made of meat or plant material should be weak to Poison and Steel (bullets). Thing is Dark is similar to Fighting in how it describes a fighting, a way of life and mentality which is why my train of thought went to Dark vs Normal instead of everything else. That and I play a lot of Grand Theft Auto and I don't think I need to explain why you don't want to be an average joe in that world.
I do see where you're coming from, but honestly my take has always been that normal should be the "neutral" type. Strong against nothing, weak to nothing. I guess in that case it just becomes a placeholder, and wouldn't need to exist on current half-normal Pokemon, but that's always been my hot take.

I feel like the reason Normal and Dark have neutral interactions with each other also has to do with the fact that Dark doesn't necessarily represent just being ruthless in a fight, but also generally being wicked and a cheater. In other words, "evil". Normal people may be vulnerable to wickedness and evil, but they also have the power to fight it off by themselves if the need be.

Back
Top Bottom