• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

My bad, I'm sorry. It's just that a lot of people assumed that it was Occupied France because they made parallels with Team Flare and Nazis. When people saw Kalos' map, they immediately assumed it. Then why only Northern France? Why not the rest of it?

Pokemon: An extremely safe, kid-friendly franchise made by the Japanese people who are deadly afraid of anything even remotely controversial because controversy = no money and who have only very basic understanding of European politics and its symbolism

This guy: clearly, Kalos is based on occupied France

I never said it was the case. I've seen people assuming it was. Yes, Pokémon is kid-friendly, but those people saw mature content in it, and I believed them. I just wanted confirmations. I just hate that Kalos only covers Northern France and not the rest. I already said I'm sorry. I never assumed it.

Believe me, out of all the things they could do, touching a subject like World War II wouldn't be one...

I'm not saying they won't cover wars, just... not real ones. Specially that one.

Also, where did people get the idea that Team Flare are nazis? Sure, they are planning on genocide, but it's not one based on race or religion.

Also, where did people get the idea that Team Flare are nazis? Sure, they are planning on genocide, but it's not one based on race or religion.
Yes, I’m fairly their genocide is based on…wealth? I don’t really remember, but a quick Bulbapedia search should fix this…

One search later

Okay, they want to make a “better” world by eliminating all life and somehow financially profit from this(?). So they were only nazis in the sense of killing a lot of people, and ideologically not at all aligned with them.
So there is pretty much no connection between the two groups, and I’m very confused how people thought there was.

So there is pretty much no connection between the two groups, and I’m very confused how people thought there was.
Much like how people see fantasy and immediately compare it to Harry Potter or Tolkien, they hear or see "genocide" and jump to Nazi because they have very small pools of reference due to a general sense of ignorance of the history of the world.

Honestly, I don't want voice acting in future pokemon games. I prefer reading the text, and adding voice acting makes reading the text feel really weird. I was playing Pokken recently and it felt so awkward hearing people speak while I try to read the text. And then I'd be cutting them off partway through because I didn't wanna wait for them to finish their sentence when I already finished reading so that made it worse. I personally like that most pokemon games don't have voice acting.

(That being said, supposedly in sword and shield, there's a song with lyrics that doesn't have voice acting? that's different, that absolutely should have voice acting lol)

Honestly, I don't want voice acting in future pokemon games. I prefer reading the text, and adding voice acting makes reading the text feel really weird. I was playing Pokken recently and it felt so awkward hearing people speak while I try to read the text. And then I'd be cutting them off partway through because I didn't wanna wait for them to finish their sentence when I already finished reading so that made it worse. I personally like that most pokemon games don't have voice acting.

(That being said, supposedly in sword and shield, there's a song with lyrics that doesn't have voice acting? that's different, that absolutely should have voice acting lol)
I agree about not needing to have voice acting. There are so many complications when voice acting comes into play, like hiring voice actors from different languages, severely limiting the player to set names, and even the amount of times a line needing to be re-recorded a lot of the time.

Much like how people see fantasy and immediately compare it to Harry Potter or Tolkien, they hear or see "genocide" and jump to Nazi because they have very small pools of reference due to a general sense of ignorance of the history of the world.
Wasn't the Death Eater thing confirmed, or I'm misremembering things?

Wasn't the Death Eater thing confirmed, or I'm misremembering things?
Yeah, the Death Eaters actually are meant to be Wizard Nazis (and it's honestly really unsubtle), but the point that @Emmy was trying to make is that any depiction of genocide in fiction is automatically compared to Nazis even when it's meant to either reference a completely different massacre (or be a straight up fictional one like Team Flare) just like how any fantasy will automatically be compared to Harry Potter or TLOR just because those are two most famous of that genre. They were two separate things.

The cool thing with no voices, but also the pixelated world sprites had, was thst you could leave a lot up to your own immersion, making the game feel much more alive as it left a lot to the imagination.

And since that's the type of magic I like in games, to just let my mind run free as I've gotten that freedom, I also don't really want or see the need for voice acting.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to voice acting but the more I think about it the weirder it sounds. I love a lot of games with voice acting but I feel like some of the dialogue in Pokémon just would not work if it was spoken aloud by a real human being

The way I see it, no voice acting was fine back in the days of sprites and even the 3DS games.

But the more GF leans into having actual cutscenes, the more dissonant it is for me to not have people speaking their lines. There's a reason why people point to the Piers scene in SW/SH where he creates a distraction to allow you to slip past the Evil Team by doing an impromptu rock concert in the street that draws a crowd...and aside from the background music, the scene is totally silent - no singing, no audience cheering him on, nothing and it is as jarring as all get out.

yeah that one is an exception lmao. yeah voices during cutscenes but not necessarily just like standard trainers on routes would actually be perfect imo

The most hilarious thing about Turo for me is when people are like 'How can't you like him, he looks like a Gigachad!' and I can't even comprehend how that meme Gigachad guy is considered attractive in first place. Dude looks like a mix of inbreeding and result of forbidden steroid experiments. The fact that men think that it's what women want is hilarious in itself. So yeah, Team Scarlet

I can't even comprehend how that meme Gigachad guy is considered attractive in first place. Dude looks like a mix of inbreeding and result of forbidden steroid experiments.
I think that the joke is that he’s all conventionally attractive male attributes turned up to 500, and that the result is incredibly uncanny and creepy. But what do I know about the minds of strange Internet people

Back
Top Bottom