• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

HGSS is a Pokemon game that is beloved by almost everyone in the fandom, but I actually don't like it as I've thought. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game but I don't care for it as much as other people. My actual favorite Pokemon game (and remake too) is ORAS. I was kinda ashamed to admit that ORAS is my favorite game because it's not HGSS or Emerald, but at this point I don't really care.
I like HGSS, but I agree it's not really my first choice. It added content and fleshed out the bare-bones Johto of GSC, but it also didn't really fix the problems with GSC, either. Namely, the level problem and the Pokemon distribution problem.

I like HGSS, but I agree it's not really my first choice. It added content and fleshed out the bare-bones Johto of GSC, but it also didn't really fix the problems with GSC, either. Namely, the level problem and the Pokemon distribution problem.
it did fix the boring kanto problem though

it did fix the boring kanto problem though
It didn't. Kanto was still boring. It was just a boss rush to get to Red quickly.

HGSS are average games at best. All the gameplay flaws from the base are still there (Shit level curve, shit Pokémon distribution, amongst others). Just because it looks prettier doesn't mean that can be overlooked.

On one hand HG/SS inherited a lot of G/S/C problems and the international version ruined postgame play with Voltorb Flip.

On the other hand it had an absolute ton of things to do by the series' standards between the Pokéthlon dome, the Battle Frontier, rematches, and bringing back the Safari Zone.
It really went all out in ways OR/AS and BD/SP didn't.

On one hand HG/SS inherited a lot of G/S/C problems and the international version ruined postgame play with Voltorb Flip.

On the other hand it had an absolute ton of things to do by the series' standards between the Pokéthlon dome, the Battle Frontier, rematches, and bringing back the Safari Zone.
It really went all out in ways OR/AS and BD/SP didn't.
i think it's rather unfair to say ORAS didn't go the extra mile. they made several story changes, added a postgame and gave us soaring. it didn't improve as much as HGSS did, and you might argue that some of the changes hurt the experience more than they elevate it, but you can still tell that these games were made with love. BDSP, on the other hand, is a loveless cashgrab.

i think it's rather unfair to say ORAS didn't go the extra mile. they made several story changes, added a postgame and gave us soaring. it didn't improve as much as HGSS did, and you might argue that some of the changes hurt the experience more than they elevate it, but you can still tell that these games were made with love. BDSP, on the other hand, is a loveless cashgrab.
Well, what I mean by HG/SS going all out is that it was clearly intended to be the definitive version of those games and included pretty much everything from Crystal, and I don't think it can be seriously argued OR/AS tried to do the same since almost everything from Emerald was left out.
A full price remake shouldn't have left me thinking it was worse than a version from nearly a decade earlier.

Well, what I mean by HG/SS going all out is that it was clearly intended to be the definitive version of those games and included pretty much everything from Crystal, and I don't think it can be seriously argued OR/AS tried to do the same since almost everything from Emerald was left out.
A full price remake shouldn't have left me thinking it was worse than a version from nearly a decade earlier.
they couldn't exactly adopt Emerald's plot, as they couldn't have us catch both groudon and kyogre. honestly, other than the battle frontier and the tougher gym battles, i don't really miss Emerald's stuff. Emerald bloated the plot anyway to make both of the evil teams relevant throughout.

they couldn't exactly adopt Emerald's plot, as they couldn't have us catch both groudon and kyogre.
The plot could be an issue but they absolutely could have let us capture both Groudon and Kyogre. Both cover legendaries were available in the Johto games and they were both available in the "third edition" releases. Make the "cover one" appear in it's ordinary spot, the other appears somewhere in the postgame.

honestly, other than the battle frontier and the tougher gym battles, i don't really miss Emerald's stuff. Emerald bloated the plot anyway to make both of the evil teams relevant throughout.
My original statement stands; HG/SS included all the Johto content, OR/AS didn't do the same for Hoenn. OR/AS didn't try to be as good as possible like HG/SS did; they left lots of stuff out for whatever reasons (we know the BF was officially cut because it was hard).

Frankly I think it's pretty easy to draw a line from OR/AS to BD/SP.

My original statement stands; HG/SS included all the Johto content, OR/AS didn't do the same for Hoenn. OR/AS didn't try to be as good as possible like HG/SS did; they left lots of stuff out for whatever reasons (we know the BF was officially cut because it was hard).

Frankly I think it's pretty easy to draw a line from OR/AS to BD/SP.
maybe i'm a bit biased because i don't like most of the changes in Emerald, but i feel like ORAS did more than enough to justify its existence. the postgame, type matchup changes and the minor stuff like giving the evil teams more personality all contribute to an experience that is clearly superior to the gen 3 games, and while the story is a downgrade from RS (though still better than emerald imo), it's not from a lack of effort and love on the devs' part. BDSP on the other hand is a lazy port that doesn't strive to differentiate itself from the source material except when it can make the experience worse cough Exp share cough.

maybe i'm a bit biased because i don't like most of the changes in Emerald, but i feel like ORAS did more than enough to justify its existence. the postgame, type matchup changes and the minor stuff like giving the evil teams more personality all contribute to an experience that is clearly superior to the gen 3 games, and while the story is a downgrade from RS (though still better than emerald imo), it's not from a lack of effort and love on the devs' part. BDSP on the other hand is a lazy port that doesn't strive to differentiate itself from the source material except when it can make the experience worse cough Exp share cough.
To expand on my comment about drawing a line between them, yeah, OR/AS wasn't just a prettied up re-release with minimal additions but I find it's additions were all pretty cheap compared to porting over the stuff from Emerald (Delta Episode mostly reused existing areas). There were complaints but they still sold well and plenty defended the decisions, and so the next set of remakes added almost nothing.
And since they sold so well I don't think people should expect much from future remakes.

I know this will be controversial (so I guess this is the place for it!) but I think since OR/AS (and including them) has come out the games have been cutting as many corners as they can, and so far it's paying off wonderfully with sales continuing to boom. Even the more ambitious PLA removed Abilities, Hold Items, breeding, and a huge chunk of the movepool.

Everybody’s talking bout HGSS, and ORAS, and here I am to interject that I actually had the most fun with FRLG!

(Yes, I know it’s got its issues but I played the heck out of those games back in the day and they will always be special)

And here I am, preferring LGPE over both FRLG and Yellow and BDSP over Platinum.

LGPE might be mostly due to nostalgia, since they actually felt like what I was expecting of Blue originally, instead of... well, Blue. And no, FRLG didn't have that same effect, possibly because I got it like 6 months after getting Blue. It was actually a fantastic experience.

BDSP fixed two of the three issues I had with the originals (Stark Mountain is still there...) and actually gave me a purpose to use the Underground, and while I don't really miss Platinum's additions, I admit they missed the opportunity to use Charon as an actual character since he was just... there in Platinum.

Then again, with the exception of Legends and SV (damn open world!), I haven't really hated any main game... Although my relationship with XY is shaky, to say the least, and that's after multiple replays.

And here I am, preferring LGPE over both FRLG and Yellow
Probably because LGPE were great and they get dunked on unnecessarily. The art and style was amazing, the music was great, there were following and riding Pokemon, and there was less boring grind overall. All the magic of Kanto was there, in my opinion!

LGPE is by no means bad. i just wasn't really a fan of the new catching mechanics, and i fault the game for being the first with the permanent exp share. they did do some nice things with the story and the presentation though. of course, i'd have preferred if they built off of FRLG rather than off of gen 1, but pokemon has a thing lately with ditching the improved version and instead building off of the base game.

LGPE is by no means bad. i just wasn't really a fan of the new catching mechanics, and i fault the game for being the first with the permanent exp share. they did do some nice things with the story and the presentation though. of course, i'd have preferred if they built off of FRLG rather than off of gen 1, but pokemon has a thing lately with ditching the improved version and instead building off of the base game.
In my opinion, while Fire Red and Leaf Green were fun, they were just the gen one games with a fresh generation 3 Graphics coat. Sure there is the Sevi Islands, but still.

I actually really like LGPE too, but I went with FRLG because…

1) they’re the closest one to one comparison to HGSS and ORAS. Prefix + original game name.

2) I like the modern mechanics of FRLG more with abilities etc.

3) FRLG are the games I probably got the most immersed in because that was the peak of Pokemania for me (and this is as someone who’s been involved since it first came to the states)

Accessibility is everything when it comes to pokemon. Because old people and little kids play it too. As a result, more accessibility is what is going to sell pokemon from this point on.

Pre-LG was not more complicated in any positive manner either.

Accessibility is everything when it comes to pokemon. Because old people and little kids play it too. As a result, more accessibility is what is going to sell pokemon from this point on.

Pre-LG was not more complicated in any positive manner either.
Making the game easier would also help with accessibility.

Back
Top Bottom