• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

The first two generation games are so obnoxious to play. The graphics are so awful that I barely recognize any Pokémon especially from behind. Game mechanics and QoL have been handled so poorly that even finding and using an item is a whole mess. They fixed them in Gen II games but only to an extend and it was just not enough.

When the first two gens were released on 3DS, I wasn't really excited about it. I wished they'd release the Gen III games too, so that I'd purchase FireRed and Emerald, but eh it never happened.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon isn't as good as the other Pokemon games, having a hunger system makes the series a lot more cumbersome than actually fun. I'm just not a fan of systems that force you to buy items too early in any game when money is more scarce.

The level of controversy in this greatly depends on whether or not you mean in the anime or in the games.

Given the great commitment that the Pokémon Games has with the development of its protagonists and their stories, it is possible to have an idea of where this great controversy lies.

When the first two gens were released on 3DS, I wasn't really excited about it. I wished they'd release the Gen III games too, so that I'd purchase FireRed and Emerald, but eh it never happened.

In 2009, I found Pokémon Crystal a very playable and enjoyable game. It seemed to me, at the time, like a light version of third generation games.

From the first generation, however, I only played a little bit of Yellow, but I don't remember much. They are notoriously known, however, for their buggy and poorly implemented mechanics.

The first two generation games are so obnoxious to play. The graphics are so awful that I barely recognize any Pokémon especially from behind. Game mechanics and QoL have been handled so poorly that even finding and using an item is a whole mess. They fixed them in Gen II games but only to an extend and it was just not enough.

For me, the Gen I and II graphics aren’t that obnoxious for me. It’s the controls and mechanics that cause me pain. Running into walls in this game feels terrible and walking is so slow. Though, I have to admit (controversial opinion incoming) I like the Gameboy controls more than the Scarlet and Violet controls.

And yes, I do completely agree with you that GBA games should’ve been released. If I had to choose between Gameboy and Gameboy Color vs GBA and DS, easily GBA and DS. I still have some hope that the GBA Pokémon games will come to Switch.

I agree on the first two generations there and I also avoid the third generation because it's still so mechanically inferior to what came next. Any mainline game that doesn't have the physical/special split largely feels unplayable to some extent nowadays because this thing was honestly an even bigger deal for this series than any new type. It was an epochal event that changed these games for the better.

Agreed. I have a special place in my heart for GSC since Silver was my first game, but in general the GB games have aged like milk and I'd much rather play more modernized experiences in Kanto like FRLG and HGSS than the original RBY and GSC. Although really I'd rather Kanto and Johto get the BW2/LA treatment because there's a lot of problems that even remakes can't fix because they're baked so deeply into the design (primarily some roster and map design limitations that existed at the time but do not anymore), but I'd at least tolerate FRLG and HGSS.

Pokemon without voice acting is better.
Characters moving their mouths and no sound coming out is some uncanny shit. Even worse in case of Piers in Sword and Shield, you have a character that sings and yet no sounds comes out of his mouth when he sings. Fine if the game has no voice acting but don't make character move their mouths like something is actually gonna come out.

It's also silly to me to not want it because it might be bad because i can think of many games that were greatly enhanced by voice acting. Plus Gamefreak doesn't need to use the TCPI voice actors, many professional voice actors outside of that group that would gladly voice pokemon characters.

The only reason the games don't have voice acting is because the games are clearly unfinished and rushed. Voice acting actually takes a lot of time to do, even more if the game is in multiple langauges.

Characters moving their mouths and no sound coming out is some uncanny shit. Even worse in case of Piers in Sword and Shield, you have a character that sings and yet no sounds comes out of his mouth when he sings. Fine if the game has no voice acting but don't make character move their mouths like something is actually gonna come out.

It's also silly to me to not want it because it might be bad because i can think of many games that were greatly enhanced by voice acting. Plus Gamefreak doesn't need to use the TCPI voice actors, many professional voice actors outside of that group that would gladly voice pokemon characters.

The only reason the games don't have voice acting is because the games are clearly unfinished and rushed. Voice acting actually takes a lot of time to do, even more if the game is in multiple langauges.
I agree with your first point.

I don't think it's necessarily the TPCI voice actors as the issue, Patrick Seitz sounds on total autopilot as Lt. Surge in Masters & Greg Chun sounds ridiculously silly as Bruno so it's more TPCI's direction than anything else that is very spotty and worrisome if that leaks into the games proper.

That's true.

i think it would be good to have some limited voice acting, like in important cutscenes. i don't want random trainers to interrupt the background music with their babbling about top percentage rattata though

The actual reason is the player character's name. Unlike some other languages, English has multiple sounds for a single letter, especially the vowels. If voice acting were to be introduced, we would be far more limited in how we name our player character. While we could still choose, we would be limited with pre-picked names. Fallout for example, has voice acting, so you are forced to use a pre-picked name because of cases where NPCs do say your name out loud.

This is the reason why we didn't have the option to name Link in Breath of the Wild in the first place, where there are clearly cutscenes in which his name is spoken.

I for one, would rather keep the flexibility of naming my character over anything voice acting.

The actual reason is the player character's name.
It's not, it's because the games are rushed. Not doing voice acting because you can name your character makes no sense because there are tons of RPGs where you can name your character and they still have voice acting.

And it's not like they can't use "you/they/them" to refer to the player character, plenty of games do this.

This is the reason why we didn't have the option to name Link in Breath of the Wild in the first place, where there are clearly cutscenes in which his name is spoken.
The reason is because Link isn't a blank slate character. He has history inside of the world that the player can't influence, where in pokemon all protagonists are blank slates outside of a couple of things like their parents and who they are form.

The actual reason is the player character's name. Unlike some other languages, English has multiple sounds for a single letter, especially the vowels. If voice acting were to be introduced, we would be far more limited in how we name our player character. While we could still choose, we would be limited with pre-picked names. Fallout for example, has voice acting, so you are forced to use a pre-picked name because of cases where NPCs do say your name out loud.

I for one, would rather keep the flexibility of naming my character over anything voice acting.
They could do something like in the Elder Scrolls games, where pretty much no one ever says your name. Other than the rival and a few other key characters, people wouldn't know your name anyway.

It's not, it's because the games are rushed. Not doing voice acting because you can name your character makes no sense because there are tons of RPGs where you can name your character and they still have voice acting.

And it's not like they can't use "you/they/them" to refer to the player character, plenty of games do this.

The reason is because Link isn't a blank slate character. He has history inside of the world that the player can't influence, where in pokemon all protagonists are blank slates outside of a couple of things like their parents and who they are form.
It's a lot more complicated than that. A character that's referred to by name is a lot more memorable than one that's only referred to by pronouns. In a sense, your character's name would never even appear in a character conversation.

Also, in previous Zelda games (which only had grunts, laughs, and other non-speaking sounds as voice acting) Link was nameable despite him not being a blank slate.

It's a lot more complicated than that.
Nah, it's pretty simple because it's not like there aren't memorable characters where you can name them, Sheppard in the Mass Effect series is easily one of the most recognizable characters in gaming and you can give them any name you want. You can name The Courier in New Vegas anything you want and yet every Fallout player knows who they are.

You don't need a regular name to be memorable to a lot of people, many ways to do it like a title or a designation.

And it's not like i haven't completely forgot some of the protagonists in pokemon. I constantly forget who Calem or Nate is (i had to google them to refresh my memory), so it's not like the fact you can name them makes them memorable.

Also, in previous Zelda games (which only had grunts, laughs, and other non-speaking sounds as voice acting) Link was nameable despite him not being a blank slate.
A lot more of a blank slate than in Breath of the Wild. None of those Links are shown in flashbacks fighting in a war, hardly any of their backstory is told to the player outside of a couple things. Just like a Pokemon protagonist. A Link to the Past Link is literally just some kid living in his uncle's house, his uncle goes to the castle because he fears something bad happened in Hyrule Castle, Link goes there when he realizes that it's been a while since his uncle went there. That is it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom