• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

With the key system, memory link requirements, and lack of Pokémon needed to fulfill the National Dex with just Gen 5 games, Pokémon were more greedy for your cash with the release of Black 2 White 2 than with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. They were more greedy with buyer's money than every other mainline game until the Switch imo.

Also B2W2 are good games but bad sequels as they failed to fully flesh out on the remaining bits of Unova lore when it was much needed and the story didn't have much direction other than making Team Plasma strike back as terrorists. The Swords of Justice were a huge missed opportunity in both of Gen 5's stories for their lore and we are still left with wondering what the Original Dragon was like. We were hardly even left with a full idea of what Kyurem even is, leading to it being one of the most misunderstood Pokémon out there.

Edit: For the Switch games, I thought about this and concluded that overall, most Switch releases definitely take the cake in the greediness aspect overall out of every mainline game. Any of them could be #1 in this aside from Legends Arceus and to a bigger extent, LGPE. Some examples of how include the way Pokémon has used DLC and how they actively lock mythical Pokémon behind paywalls. I find it egregious how Pokémon is using DLC, especially with SV, and find upper versions were straight up less scummy.

Last edited:
Sword and Shield were not bad games at all, a lot better than all the other games that came out in Gen 8.
I might say otherwise. I prefer Legends Arceus over Sword and Shield. Though, there are fair arguments that Sword and Shield are overall better games. Many people also just have different preferences too as they might not enjoy a game like Legends Arceus and prefer RPGs. In the end, I’ve enjoyed Legends Arceus the most out of the Gen VIII games.

I might say otherwise. I prefer Legends Arceus over Sword and Shield. Though, there are fair arguments that Sword and Shield are overall better games. Many people also just have different preferences too as they might not enjoy a game like Legends Arceus and prefer RPGs. In the end, I’ve enjoyed Legends Arceus the most out of the Gen VIII games.
I like the overworld game play better in Legends Arceus, and it's obvious BDSP are by far the worst, but I think with the expansion packs Sword and Shield edged out the former by a hair per se.

Unlike some other languages, English has multiple sounds for a single letter, especially the vowels.

English is not a "special" language, the vast majority of languages have more than one sound for some letters, especially vowels. Phonetic polysemy/allophony is quite common.

While we could still choose, we would be limited with pre-picked names. Fallout for example, has voice acting, so you are forced to use a pre-picked name because of cases where NPCs do say your name out loud.

No, there is no need for limitation. The player can be phonetically referenced by pronouns as well as qualifiers, such as Trainer/ Challenger/ Twerp....

A character that's referred to by name is a lot more memorable than one that's only referred to by pronouns. In a sense, your character's name would never even appear in a character conversation.

Your character can still be referenced by name in the speech bubble. This happens in games like DQ XI, where your character's name recurrently appears in written form but is replaced by pronouns or qualifiers in dialogue, like Hero.

And, if you don't like it, nothing prevents, if Game Freak allows it, that you deactivate the audio of the dialogues.

In short, there are no downsides to adding something, especially when it enhances the sensory experience and is not compulsory.

Last edited:
And, if you don't like it, nothing prevents, if Game Freak allows it, that you deactivate the audio of the dialogues.
The problem is that Game Freak does not like options. they took away set battle style and the ability to turn the exp share off. why do you assume they'd let people play the game how they like on this front?

The problem is that Game Freak does not like options. they took away set battle style and the ability to turn the exp share off. why do you assume they'd let people play the game how they like on this front?
That's the main reason why I don't want voice acting in Pokemon, because Game Freak will always try to pick the easy way out of an issue every time, which in this case, would be severely limiting the player on how they can name their character or worse, the player character's name not being said by any NPCs at all, and not even be said by the important ones like your rival or the professor.

During Gen 8's hype season I wanted the legendary box arts to come in lliterally ooking like the Pokemon Sword and Shield logos. It would've been hilarious :LOL:

a lot of the pokemon in gen 9 don't look very good. they either look generic, off-putting, or just straight up ugly. i think gen 9 is officially worse than gen 2 in terms of pokemon.
The last few generations have been quick to throw internet references out there and hope they stick. Besides the obvious Lechonk and Smoliv, it would seem that TPC has caught on to the "AI generated Pokemon" meme. Mons like Flittle and Glimmet/Glimmora look almost random and hard to fathom as existing in the real world. Which is a shame because I think they are actually based on real world things.

And how is it that I love Maushold and think Tandemaus is stupid and unnecessary? There's actually quite a few this gen that I feel work better as single-stage instead of 2-stage, or 2-stage instead of 3-stage. What's up with that?

that's another thing, so many final evolutions in this gen don't actually look like final evolutions.
Just checked and yup, several don't look like final evolutions. Stuff like Killowatrel, Dachsbun, Lokix, Spidops and Oinkologne definitely look more like mid stage pokemon rather than actual final stages.

Honestly would have taken evolutions to these over some paradox pokemon.

The last few generations have been quick to throw internet references out there and hope they stick. Besides the obvious Lechonk and Smoliv, it would seem that TPC has caught on to the "AI generated Pokemon" meme. Mons like Flittle and Glimmet/Glimmora look almost random and hard to fathom as existing in the real world. Which is a shame because I think they are actually based on real world things.

Not sure how Lechonk and Smoliv are "internet references". Their English names use slang but that's not the same thing. Having an Iberian pig and an olive are perfectly reasonable to expect in an Iberian region. Also Lechonk is not only "chonk" but "lechon".

Flittle is basically just a yellow Dumbo octopus. Why it evolves into a Lady Gaga ostrich is beyond me but it looks very much like its basis.

And considering Glimmora has a strong connection to Area Zero despite being found outside it as well, looking surreal is to be expected.

I never understood why people needed Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom to come out in order to further realize the severity of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet's flaws. There are much much older video games that could be used to compare. Tears of the Kingdom was on too high of a pedestal to remotely compare to Scarlet and Violet and they are both blatant outliers on opposite ends.

Maybe I answered my own question?

Having played DS3 over the past couple of days, it helped me clarify something that’s been bothering me with recent Pokémon games as of late and it’s that the attempt at increasing the “role play” aspect through character customisation feels half baked and as a result I always just pick the default options.

I honestly kinda miss the days prior to Gen 6 where the MCs had better and more distinctive designs.

Having played DS3 over the past couple of days, it helped me clarify something that’s been bothering me with recent Pokémon games as of late and it’s that the attempt at increasing the “role play” aspect through character customisation feels half baked and as a result I always just pick the default options.

I honestly kinda miss the days prior to Gen 6 where the MCs had better and more distinctive designs.
I agree, most new protagonists in recent games in general (not just Pokemon) that can be customized lost their charm for me given their extremely simplified and monotonized designs just because they are used as a basis for customization.

Back
Top Bottom