• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I think gens 7 through 9 have the worst pokemon designs. Not that I don’t like some of them of course, but for the third time in a row I find myself disliking most of the designs.
i actually disagree, and i think the places that the designers are getting inspiration from are getting much more interesting and cool. or maybe i just like weird looking things.

Yeah 6, 7, and 9 in particular have been banger after banger. Only a handful designs in each gen I don't love.

I think gens 7 through 9 have the worst pokemon designs. Not that I don’t like some of them of course, but for the third time in a row I find myself disliking most of the designs.
Yeah, it feels like the designs are just getting less and less impressive, which kind of makes sense given how long the franchise has gone on. I'm specially starting to dislike the fact that they are recycling old pokemon more and more just to make "new" pokemon instead of actual new pokemon based on new things, the worst offenders being the paradox pokemon which most are completely uninspired.

Yeah, it feels like the designs are just getting less and less impressive, which kind of makes sense given how long the franchise has gone on. I'm specially starting to dislike the fact that they are recycling old pokemon more and more just to make "new" pokemon instead of actual new pokemon based on new things, the worst offenders being the paradox pokemon which most are completely uninspired.
I actually think that cross-generational editions are an amazing way to make once-mundane pokemon more special. Also, many of the newer pokemon are very interesting, just because not all of them are doesn't make the rest bad.

cross-generational editions
When it's actual new pokemon like Weavile and Electivire. Crap like the paradox pokemon, specially lame ones like Iron Juggulis and Iron Thorns are terrible and hardly look any different than their counterparts. The future ones really have it the worst with pretty much all of them being uninspired and lame outside of maybe Iron Hands.

And to mention the battle side things, none of these affect the old pokemon in a good way. The old pokemon aren't getting buffed by these pokemon, these are pokemon divorced from the originals outside of sharing a similar design. Hisuian Electrode isn't a buff to regular Electrode because regular Electrode still exists separately and thus it's not used in competitive because it's just a worse Hisuian Electrode. At least with cross generational evolutions like Weavile and Mismagius, these were straight evolutions to Sneasel and Misdreavus and thus a buff to those older pokemon. All these new forms do is replace old pokemon and thus don't make any old mundane pokemon better.

Last edited:
When it's actual new pokemon like Weavile and Electivire. Crap like the paradox pokemon, specially lame ones like Iron Juggulis and Iron Thorns are terrible and hardly look any different than their counterparts. The future ones really have it the worst with pretty much all of them being uninspired and lame outside of maybe Iron Hands.

And to mention the battle side things, none of these affect the old pokemon in a good way. The old pokemon aren't getting buffed by these pokemon, these are pokemon divorced from the originals outside of sharing a similar design. Hisuian Electrode isn't a buff to regular Electrode because regular Electrode still exists separately and thus it's not used in competitive because it's just a worse Hisuian Electrode. At least with cross generational evolutions like Weavile and Mismagius, these were straight evolutions to Sneasel and Misdreavus and thus a buff to those older pokemon. All these new forms do is replace old pokemon and thus don't make any old mundane pokemon better.
I hate to say this but...I 100% agree. Maybe I don't feel as strongly as you against the paradox Pokemon for example, but I actually really don't like or see the value in creating these alternate versions if the original Pokemon gains nothing from it. Just my opinion though, but it is why I preferred things like Mega Evolutions over regional forms (time to hide lol)

but it is why I preferred things like Mega Evolutions over regional forms (time to hide lol)
I ain't hiding, i much prefer Mega Evolution over regional forms. Mega Evolution actually buffs older pokemon and thus give them a chance to actually be competitively viable in online. In the Smogon tiers Mega Evolution for Kangaskhan and Mawile sent them to Ubers, a tier they wouldn't have even dreamed of getting to otherwise.

Their designs overall are also much better than at the very least the paradox forms because I'll take Mega Houndoom design over some silly robot Houndoom. Mega Beedrill has a genuine amazing design and makes a really bland pokemon stand out much more, on top of having a much better stat spread and ability.

Really a shame that we most likely will never get Mega Evolution back because there was a ton of potential to give underappreciated pokemon a much needed boost.

Last edited:
This hit me about an hour ago when I heard someone question

If the sheer presence of Rayquaza was enough to get Kyogre and Groudon to back away from fighting, and you were able to overcome Rayquaza shortly afterwards in the form of catching it, how weren't you able to handle Kyogre and Groudon on your own? The amount of power Rayquaza must possess in order to accomplish this feat must have been enormous, and certainly well enough to beat both Kyogre and Groudon by itself, as it has proven in other forms of media. Pokemon Emerald never needed Rayquaza involved in the first place! This is not me trying to hate on Emerald I just thought this was funny :LOL:

I would argue the same for Pokemon Platinum's case and Giratina. Not because Giratina was much more powerful than Palkia and Dialga, but because the entire plot was full of nonsense and every single legendary involved should have utterly dismantled Team Galactic before they were ever able to make it far.

Last edited:
If the sheer presence of Rayquaza was enough to get Kyogre and Groudon to back away from fighting, and you were able to overcome Rayquaza shortly afterwards in the form of catching it, how weren't you able to handle Kyogre and Groudon on your own? The amount of power Rayquaza must possess in order to accomplish this feat must have been enormous, and certainly well enough to beat both Kyogre and Groudon by itself, as it has proven in other forms of media. Pokemon Emerald never needed Rayquaza involved in the first place! This is not me trying to hate on Emerald I just thought this was funny :LOL:
Maybe we were only able to catch Rayquaza because it had tired itself out pacifying Groudon and Kyogre?

But yeah, Emerald sucks. Play Ruby/Sapphire instead.

This hit me about an hour ago when I heard someone question

I would argue the same for Pokemon Platinum's case and Giratina. Not because Giratina was much more powerful than Palkia and Dialga, but because the entire plot was full of nonsense and every single legendary involved should have utterly dismantled Team Galactic before they were ever able to make it far.
Because it's simply a gameplay element to catch them all. If it were an actual story, there is no way you could realistically catch a Rayquaza with such power unless you threw all 6 of your Pokémon at it at the same time or it had some reason for willingly joining you.

Illusio isn't that bad of a map. Sure it does feel like you have to rely on the warps to be the right color to get your way but in all my years playing Conquest I don't think I've ever had any real issue with it. Never really had a game where I nearly lost due to wasting enough turns waiting on warps to be the right color. On another note, there are many alternative pathways you can take if you don't want to rely on the warps, just so you'd be able to get to the destination you want in an appropriate amount of turns anyway. I honestly believe this is the 2nd best and 2nd most competitive banner map in Pokemon Conquest, behind Viperia.

Terrera on the other hand is a much worse map because the game is strongly determined by wind gust RNG and against NPCs it becomes the freest win ever. Wind gusts activate the first time a Pokemon gets on a Lift to the top of a tower. You can exploit that by simply getting near every lift and waiting for the opposing team to hop on a lift first. They get knocked down, and any 3 of your Pokemon near the lifts can immediately lunge in and win.

Pugilis is pretty nasty because it's either extremely overcentralized around Flying-types (a lot of maps in this game kinda are tbh) or it comes down to who can knock everyone's Pokemon off the ring and create a blockade first. You can just knock everyone's Pokemon out of the ring and collect all the banners. The win condition is to hold each banner for 5 turns straight. There are two entrances to the ring you can block if you have a stackload of healthy Pokemon available. Against AIs in the game you really just need to block one of them with a Pokemon or three and you automatically win the game.

Greenleaf is one of the worst maps of the game because it's either extremely overcentralized around Flying-types or is the much worse alternative of being incredibly volatile. You can straight up lose games due to trap hax if you are that unfortunate, since the map gives 15 turns at most, there are multiple traps placed near banners at random spots, and falling into one of them locks you in place for a full 3 turns each.

Spectra can be annoying but worked around with Oichi + Jigglypuff Charm, held items given to warriors prior to battle, and many other warriors capable of curing allies of various status ailments. You can also just have a Pokemon serve as fodder to take every wisp if you aren't using the Jigglypuff, and it's usually not that big of the deal. Spectra is often regarded as being among the worst maps in the game but I don't think it falls under this in the long run since there's a lot you can do to play around those wisps. The status however, are still pretty annoying.

Valora sucks. Worst map of the game. Map is way too big so if you have a high range Pokemon (especially Flying-type), you can easily stall the game out of maximum turns and win off that alone. Otherwise, there are robots placed on several locations of this map that activate a crane when it detects someone's Pokemon, then moves said Pokemon to a completely random spot in the game. There are times where it can easily put that Pokemon in a spot where it cannot do anything for the rest of the game and you can just automatically lose because of that. Flying-types are the only Pokemon who can fully avoid this. The rest are screwed.

Avia is also not a good map since it's probably the biggest map in the game. A map noticeably too big for its own good here. Pokemon of high range (especially Flying-types) have no issue stalling the game out of maximum turns, since many other Pokemon are unlikely to reach them.

We will only see pokemon fixed when nintendo and GF's old guard literally all dies of old age. Considering how comparatively young some of that old guard can be (for GF specifically they were born mostly in the 60s), we'd all be old men when we see glitchless 3D pokemon.

Better late than never, i suppose...

We will only see pokemon fixed when nintendo and GF's old guard literally all dies of old age. Considering how comparatively young some of that old guard can be (for GF specifically they were born mostly in the 60s), we'd all be old men when we see glitchless 3D pokemon.

Better late than never, i suppose...
the problem isn't GF, it's the pokemon company. They don't give GF the time they need to properly make the games, leading to an unfinished, buggy mess every time.

The Pokemon Company is owned by Gamefreak, Nintendo, and Creatures Inc. It doesn't control them.

TPC is responsible for marketing and funding, so they decide on the schedules and budgets for the games.

I'm guessing Creatures is holding more of the power in TPC than Nintendo and Game Freak and they're the ones keeping the release schedule short and the games low quality. They don't seem to have as much responsibility and experience with game development, especially for the main series, and are responsible more for merchandising which is making more money than the games. They seem to be the most likely entity in this partnership to assert "we can't slow down the schedule because multimedia stuff" and want to pump out low quality games. They're making too much money from the TCG and Pokemon toys to care, and they probably see no benefit to slowing down the schedule as long as the games keep selling.

The fact that they make so much damn money off of merch and cards is no excuse. The games are a comparatively dedicated fanbase, so they should cater that element to us in the same way they do the merch and cards.

ANd neither is the fact that they've always been this way. Like i sad, we need our own version of the "it just works" meme before any of these companies do anything really stupid.

The fact that they make so much damn money off of merch and cards is no excuse. The games are a comparatively dedicated fanbase, so they should cater that element to us in the same way they do the merch and cards.
Unfortunately, they owe us nothing. They are a company; their only allegiance is to the almighty dollar. So long as the current business model continues to make them money, nothing is going to change.

Unfortunately, they owe us nothing. They are a company; their only allegiance is to the almighty dollar. So long as the current business model continues to make them money, nothing is going to change.
In addition, there is nothing they can do that will please all of the fanbase, or even most cases. If they do, well, we were clamoring for sinnoh remakes and look how that turned out. Or even worse, they take all our unrealistic expectations and make a fan service game that just doesn't feel like pokemon. They had a slump for a few years, but are starting to turn things around. Hopefully the other gen 9 games are better.

Back
Top Bottom