• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

If enemy trainers had more access to items, the regional gimmick, and friendship bonuses, people would not complain about the difficulty.

Also PvE should never be use to train PvP in pokemon.

High level PvP is about multi-turn play and mind games.

High level PvE is about executing smaller, more impactful actions on a turn by turn basis. Because of revives, fainting becomes more of a gameplay mechanic as opposed to a glorified lives system, one you have to manage in order to succeed. Items completely change the game, just by giving you healing that isn't restricted to moves and the ability to cure status effects.

The necessary skillsets for both are almost completely opposed to one another.

I say they make you catch 6 pokemon in the tutorial, the force you to stay with 6 at all times.

The shiny noise in legends Arceus made shiny hunting worse. It notifies you whenever a shiny spawns which 1. Makes shiny hunting easier, making shiny hunting less rewarding and 2. Makes shiny hunting far more mindless since you barely need to pay attention to the game. It should absolutely be an option for anyone who wants it, but I much prefer it off

The shiny noise in legends Arceus made shiny hunting worse. It notifies you whenever a shiny spawns which 1. Makes shiny hunting easier, making shiny hunting less rewarding and 2. Makes shiny hunting far more mindless since you barely need to pay attention to the game. It should absolutely be an option for anyone who wants it, but I much prefer it off

The main thing people want it for is for random encounter shinies where they randomly spawn in the overworld while you're doing other things. It's far too easy to blow by them without even noticing, the shiny jingle helps alert you to that and stop and search for it instead of you being completely unaware of its existence or forcing you to comb every single overworld spawn on your way to whatever else you were doing.

This is doubly an issue when some shinies look so similar to their normal color scheme and it can be hard to tell apart (it's gotten even harder on the Switch games because HD shading has made the already subtle color differences even less noticeable). Honestly, I think they should retcon some of the shiny colors. You should at least be able to tell it's a shiny without staring at it for 30 seconds comparing it side by side with its non-shiny counterparts in the overworld.

• Although many people love Black/White/Black2/White2, it's my least favorite. I'd go as far as to say I really don't even like it.
  • BDSP are amazing, though I may be biased towards gen 4. It makes me even happier that they're pretty much exact remakes of DPP.
  • Not as controversial, but to some: Legends Arceus is amazing
  • Scarlet and Violet are pretty high on my list of favorite games, too! They're so hated on, I loved them.

The unova remakes are going to be as initially technically effed as base scarlet and violet.

It will have a cadre of diehard fans and in all honesty is going to be a good pokemon game, cheap production values and cut content/corners aside. But the vocal minority of genfivers will never forgive GF for creating it.

The unova remakes are going to be as initially technically effed as base scarlet and violet.

It will have a cadre of diehard fans and in all honesty is going to be a good pokemon game, cheap production values and cut content/corners aside. But the vocal minority of genfivers will never forgive GF for creating it.

Yeah, I don't think this is controversial. This seems like an inevitability really.

ILCA may have screwed over BDSP we don't know how much of it was their fault and how much of it was influenced by Gamefreak wanting to hold things back for Legends Arceus. I'm not trying to defend ILCA, but I am genuinely concerned about how Gamefreak is making Pokémon right now.

I think if Unova remakes are being made by a company that isn't ILCA, they either need to be  very delayed or passed off to a group of people who understand the Gen 5 games and are very passionate to make the most out of their remakes. Either way, I would rather have an ILCA made Unova remake that's BDSPified than a Unova that ends up like SV.

Honestly, as long as they actually add major stuff to the remakes like new Pokemon forms, new places to explore, and new lore, that would make the remake worth it in my opinion. A bonus if the art style matches that of Sw/Sh (sorry, but I'm not fond of art styles that make PCs look like children).

Just initially? Since when did Game Freak care about fixing their games, and especially S/V?

And, if you just copypaste a good game and add some updates in the battle game engine, already present in the franchise, and some QOL, it's practically impossible, bugs aside, for the result, although possibly disappointing, to be a true bad game, right?

Anyway, I not exactly sure what you stand for, but do you mean that most players don't care? That is, that some will love the game, others will complain about it, and the indifferent majority will simply play the game?

Last edited:
Eh, I'd argue the "it'll be good" part is at least somewhat controversial.

Maybe. I never liked BW1 (the ending was good, but just about everything else about it felt like a step backwards from 4th gen). But some people really like BW1 and might like it even if it's just BDSP style (I was that way with BDSP itself, I did REALLY want to see Platinum content, but still liked base DP enough to want to play BDSP).

ILCA may have screwed over BDSP we don't know how much of it was their fault and how much of it was influenced by Gamefreak wanting to hold things back for Legends Arceus. I'm not trying to defend ILCA, but I am genuinely concerned about how Gamefreak is making Pokémon right now.

I think if Unova remakes are being made by a company that isn't ILCA, they either need to be  very delayed or passed off to a group of people who understand the Gen 5 games and are very passionate to make the most out of their remakes. Either way, I would rather have an ILCA made Unova remake that's BDSPified than a Unova that ends up like SV.

Considering the direction the remakes have gone since ORAS (devolved really), I don't think ILCA had much if any influence over what was and wasn't in BDSP. Most of what we hated about BDSP seems to have come from Masuda. ILCA has never really handled a game by themselves before BDSP, they just assisted other developers, they were probably chosen specifically to make a simplistic experience dictated to them by Masuda.

Unfortunately I think BDSP-esque remakes are the new normal. They don't really want to make much changes to a remake other than side content and bonuses (and those things have been going away recently) and they've never really made remakes that have tons of new Pokemon/forms or drastic design changes because then it wouldn't feel like the original games. So making a FRLG/HGSS/ORAS style remake built upon the modern engine and designed like the current gen games... just doesn't jive with these older games. The games have changed too much since then.

I think we can only really hope that they continue making reimaginings like LA. They seem to feel that's a much better outlet for the desire for a modern experience similar to the current gen games on the new engine, it isn't held back by the story and structure of the older games so they can build it much more like games like SwSh and SV. Luckily, Game Freak seems to really like making open world games and constantly introducing new Pokemon, cross gen evos, and variants on a yearly basis now, so odds seem high that they'll want to keep reimaginings for this purpose.

SM is better than the ultra games, the ultra games could’ve worked as dlc with the portal to the other world being to the ultra world. The alternate world where you get cosmog could’ve been the universe where it’s the other game (Moon exclusives in sun and Sun exclusives in Moon)
It feels like so much more could’ve been done with the post-game alt world.
(sorry for the ramble that probably doesn’t make any sense)
Also Pokemon SV isn’t as buggy as people made it out to be, mostly because I played the entire main game on 1.0.0

• Ever since I saw the trailer for the blueberry academy I’ve noticed that the battlefield looks too bright in terms of color. I think they should’ve used another combination of colors. I really miss the battlefields from Battle Revolution & Gale of Darkness.

• I’m not interested in revisiting the Johto region. It has barely a story and the region as a whole isn’t very interesting outside Ecruteak City & Goldenrod.

• Not interested in a Legends Unova game. I prefer if the remakes pertaining to Unova are created in the SW arstyle. I want to visit Black City & Castelia looking like the big cities they are supposed to be. Add more content than the originals and it’ll be good.

At this point I'm really only hopeful for spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon rather than the mainline games. After what I've read about the S/V DLC I've pretty much written off the main series which is, frankly, starting to get a lot of competition as the wave of monster training games made by people inspired by the series continues to grow.

Elsewhere on the forums I made a comment that perhaps Arte Piazza could handle the B/W remakes well, but this is ultimately the major issue; any studio that gets outsourced the job will still be beholden to modern Gamefreak's ideas.

And, if you just copypaste a good game and add some updates inth battle game engine, already present in the franchise, and some QOL, it's practically impossible, bugs aside, for the result, although possibly disappointing, to be a true bad game, right?
I think it's a bit more complicated to that; in any technological field things are judged by when they come out. Updates and QOL can also potentially make a game worse (like the complaints about BD/SP not being designed around the new Exp system).

And ultimately I do think releasing a marginally improved version of a decade old game for full price is pretty ridiculous and would deserve bad reviews. As much as I enjoyed it I'm even a bit uncomfortable about the Mario RPG remake.

Back
Top Bottom