• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I don't necessarily agree, but just to play Devil's advocate, I feel like the same could apply to Shiny Pokemon since luck plays a big part in finding them, so only fortunate players with lots of spare time can get the Shinies that they want. And even if you go out of your way to hunt down specific Shinies in the games, depending on which game you're playing, it could take ages and you're not guaranteed to find the Shiny that you want even after all the effort.

If it wasn't already apparent, I don't like Shiny Pokemon. There's no real benefit to having them other than them being nice to look at and to have bragging rights I guess? And there's plenty of Shiny Pokemon that in my opinion don't look better than their non-Shiny counterparts. Whenever I get lucky enough to find a Shiny I'll catch it sure, but only to use as trade fodder. :p

Ehh, shiny Pokemon have been easier to hunt in recent games to the point where luck is far less of a factor. Overworld spawns and mass outbreaks have really made shinies far easier to find in a shorter amount of time, you're able to sift through multiple encounters at a time and getting increased odds from a much easier chaining system and that exponentially increases the odds of finding the shiny you want.

Hell, I've been taking to SV's mass outbreaks and have started to game them pretty well. Unlike past chaining methods with mass outbreaks you don't need to fight/catch the Pokemon consecutively (if a random encounter gets in your way), you can save and reset your game and still retain your chain, you can run away from the outbreak and come back to despawn and respawn the Pokemon. And then when you actually find the shiny, you can save and reset your game and the shiny will still be there (which is incredibly helpful for accidental KOs, now you can keep trying until the RNG spares you from self-KOs or try to switch up Pokemon/strategies to weaken it before it's KOed). The changes have really turned shiny hunting from an interminable and masochistic white whale hunt to a much more reasonable affair that rewards strategic searching and understanding of mechanics. I've been able to get the shiny in an outbreak in about an hour of searching putting those techniques into practice, which is still a big ask especially for more casual players, but it's a VAST improvement over the hundreds or even thousands of hours SRing or the far more fragile chaining methods of past games.

Just turning it into a smol indie Kusoge JRPG would cost no more than they already do now and would improve on everything to such a point that it shuts up the fans on the technical side for a gen.
..i think purposefully making pokemon a kusoge actually wouldn't go over very well at all with fans who care about technical performance nor would it really improve the series considering kusoge literally means "shitty game"

anyway on the subject of shinies base rayquaza > shiny rayquaza

It's already a kusoge anyways.
when i think of kusoge i think of games that are nearly unplayable, both figuratively and literally. pokemon games have issues; as much as i love them i can totally admit that, but i wouldn't call any of them kusoge except for perhaps the gen 1 games or scarvi in its horrid release state (though i wouldn't call it kusoge now, though maybe that's my personal bias)
ok i would totally call the gen 1 games kusoge or at least borderline kusoge

either way, if game freak wants to lean into the kusoge aspects of the series, i genuinely believe nothing good could come out of it. the last thing they need to be doing is actively trying to make the games worse. they're in such a questionable state to begin with because game freak keeps cutting corners.

ok i would totally call the gen 1 games kusoge or at least borderline kusoge
They're buggy, but a lot of the bugs aren't easy to notice. They're not at Bethesda levels of buggy.
When I think of kusoge I think of something near wholly unenjoyable except maybe as a curiosity, like the legendary Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, something where things are obviously wrong pretty much the whole game. R/B/Y ain't that.

They're buggy, but a lot of the bugs aren't easy to notice. They're not at Bethesda levels of buggy.
When I think of kusoge I think of something near wholly unenjoyable except maybe as a curiosity, like the legendary Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, something where things are obviously wrong pretty much the whole game. R/B/Y ain't that.
The Pokemon critics seem to overall have the issue of over exaggerating bugs. One person I watch who heavily critiques modern Pokemon once compared release scarlet and violet to cyberpunk 2077 and sonic 06. Scarlet and Violet are buggy there's no contesting that, but the bugs of S/V are incomparable to cyberpunk and sonic 06

Yes, that's the problem with S/V, they weren't tested enough before their release, resulting in the many bugs that they have.

i get the release schedule Has to be that way with the TCG the anime and the merch but when the game quality is impacted they may wanna rethink the schedule and push everything back if needs be

The problem though is that despite our complaining, we still buy the games. In the end, money is what counts. They are going to keep up this release schedule because they have no incentive to give the games the time in the oven they need. I'll fully admit that i am part of this problem; i've bought every pokemon game since HGSS and i'm probably going to continue doing so because i want my collection to stay complete, and because i still enjoy the core gameplay loop even if it was done better in older entries.

Back
Top Bottom