• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Coming from someone who has played nearly every mainline games in the series, there have been lots of impressions that mainline games have been becoming easier and easier with time, with people trying to explain why they have been. I get what they mean, however I think there's a big misconception over the general consensus on why.

X and Y are some of the easiest mainline games in the series. This is definitely true, but to be frankly honest, I don't think there's a huge gap between gens 1-3, gen 5, and XY in terms of difficulty. BW would've easily been around the same level on average if it had a better pool of Pokemon to choose from, and I've had some easier B2W2 runs than XY runs. Gen 4 is an exception because their games are more difficult, due to the overbearing level curves and the amount of grinding players have to do to adjust to it.

From my experience playing a lot of Pokemon, I believe the biggest factor to what's making modern generations easier, isn't the EXP Share. (I don't even understand how people end up very overleveled with it on in XY unless they use Poke Amie + go very much out of their way to battle everyone). I also do not think the biggest factor are the generational gimmicks applied to each generation.

The biggest factor to newer Pokemon games being easier is the significant increase of quality in what Pokemon you can feasibly use throughout the game. From XY-onwards, players were able to build more stacked teams than ever before, as Pokedex sizes have increased to ~400, and the pools of these 400 are significantly better than past generations overall. In XY, it wasn't just that you got a Mega Lucario. You were able to get every pseudo bar Metagross, you were able to get Gyarados, Alakazam, Hawlucha, Aegislash, a ridiculous amount of Pokemon who make every Pokemon game easy enough to be a joke. XY had so many of them for you to catch and obtain. Pokemon very well-known to dominate speedruns are now more easily accessible than ever before, and Gamefreak has never been great at making trainers keep up with that. This can be shown in many of their older postgames, where you are able to grow your team all the way to level 100 and have them stacked, but the most you can battle are stuff in the high 70s, low 80s, or Red.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon did a great job at whipping out boss fights that challenge even lots of great Pokemon you can use in the game, by simply setting up a system where the bosses had inherent advantage over the player. They were each given immediate stat boosts, and partner Pokemon they can summon to have your one Pokemon that's out, face off against two opposing ones at once. These bosses more frequently required some kind of strategy to work around. They were real boss fights designed to be beyond the player, which is something most Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and even Champions fail at. (SM introduced totems, but they were a lot more of a hit or miss in that game. USUM perfected them)

The truth behind modern Pokemon games is that while your options for great Pokemon are significantly expanded, Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and Champions have either never been or have been minimally altered to adjust to this. I've also learned through the use of Vs. Recorder Mock Battles, and through Team Rainbow Rocket, that these games need some trainers with teams consisting of legendary box arts, powerful mythicals, and even level 100s in the postgame to really be difficult, or they can at least set up that same totem system from USUM again.

Diantha's team isn't even that bad for an average Champion. It's just that she needed some of the not so many Pokemon who could feasibly handle threats like Mega Lucario, Aegislash, Gyarados, Greninja, and Garchomp in order to come off as remotely difficult for most people. She needed a team far beyond an average Champion. Cynthia and Iris would've gotten stomped if they were Champions of XY too, and people's impressions of them would have been much more poorly received.

Gyms are outdated. Elite Four and Champion are outdated. These bosses are just glorified regular trainers, not ones that have an inherent advantage over the player. That's why they're much easier nowadays. You most likely have a team as stacked or more stacked than theirs, and even a neutral matchup is in your favor, because you are most likely playing better than AIs.

The concept of generations at this point is thoroughly outdated.

To some degree, yes, but I think new generations will probably remain a thing permanently for development and marketing reasons. Having a completely new region with a completely new story and characters and a large set of new Pokemon is far easier to market, which is likely also why they also get the highest sales of any style of game. However, because you're building the game from the ground up, it's also the one that takes the most time and effort to make, so they can't just make new gen games like that all of the time. They've definitely broken some trends to make the filler games closer to the new generations, such as having new Pokemon mid-gen and LA having a completely different map design and story despite being in the same region, but I don't think they can go all the way with fully removing the concept of a generation.

@Ransei Not just that, but because of moveset changes a lot of Pokemon are much more viable than they used to be. I mentioned this in the Easy games or smarter players thread and I don't want to repeat myself too much here (link if you want to read the full post: https://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?threads/easy-games-or-smarter-players.283184/#post-7640946), but I was replaying Crystal and was utterly shocked because I had forgotten/underestimated just how much worse the movesets were in that game because of all of the moves that have been introduced in the generations since. There were a lot of Pokemon that had few to no STAB moves in Crystal that got some decent options with moveset additions in later gens, some of them needed to rely on TMs which were a much more limited and precious resource, some were balanced by other generational changes such as the physical/special split or the introduction of Fairy type. Even if you just had the Pokemon selection of some of those earlier games with more limited rosters, just having the movesets of more recent games would still be enough to make the games feel much easier. Much easier to tear through everything when just about every Pokemon has easy access to some kind of high BP STAB move.

To some degree, yes, but I think new generations will probably remain a thing permanently for development and marketing reasons. Having a completely new region with a completely new story and characters and a large set of new Pokemon is far easier to market, which is likely also why they also get the highest sales of any style of game. However, because you're building the game from the ground up, it's also the one that takes the most time and effort to make, so they can't just make new gen games like that all of the time. They've definitely broken some trends to make the filler games closer to the new generations, such as having new Pokemon mid-gen and LA having a completely different map design and story despite being in the same region, but I don't think they can go all the way with fully removing the concept of a generation.
Sure, it's good for them to periodically have a big game with a lot of new pokemon, but the reason generations are outdated is because there is no longer anything tying all the games of a "generation" together. Used to be the games within a gen could trade directly with one another, like HGSS with DPPt and XY with ORAS, but nowadays there's no connective tissue that binds generations together. There is nothing that ties LGPE to the gen 7 games, or that ties the various "gen 8" games together. These are standalone titles, not part of a greater whole.

Not sure how controversial this is but:
Bede didn't deserve his happy ending in SWSH.

It felt like he got given a get out of jail free card after causing issues the entire time. I'd have much rather him go out of his way to make things difficult because of what happened rather than being forgiven etc. It felt like lazy writing.

Sure, it's good for them to periodically have a big game with a lot of new pokemon, but the reason generations are outdated is because there is no longer anything tying all the games of a "generation" together. Used to be the games within a gen could trade directly with one another, like HGSS with DPPt and XY with ORAS, but nowadays there's no connective tissue that binds generations together. There is nothing that ties LGPE to the gen 7 games, or that ties the various "gen 8" games together. These are standalone titles, not part of a greater whole.

Most of the remakes were only loosely associated with the new generations anyway, so "tying" a generation together doesn't really mean much.

The Pokemon critics seem to overall have the issue of over exaggerating bugs. One person I watch who heavily critiques modern Pokemon once compared release scarlet and violet to cyberpunk 2077 and sonic 06. Scarlet and Violet are buggy there's no contesting that, but the bugs of S/V are incomparable to cyberpunk and sonic 06

At least, CD Projekt Red cares about trying to fix the bugs, while S/V's battle camera remains the same crap to this day.

monotype teams aren't how they intended the games to be played though. You're supposed to catch and use a diverse team. Not saying there's anything wrong with playing that way, but you can't expect GF to cater to all the artificial restrictions players put upon themselves.

While you are not wrong, I consider that, yes, from the beginning Game Freak should have considered the possibility of players wanting to play the game with mono type teams.

After all, isn't that how the vast majority of great Pokémon trainers are presented to us in games, as experts in a certain type?

Anyway, while, gameplaywise, we are not encouraged to create teams of a single type of Pokémon, the Pokémon world exudes this, and such limitation was, in my opinion, one of the game's biggest flaws.

Last edited:
they were directly connected through the fact that all the new pokemon were in the game and you could trade directly between the games

I mean besides that though. The lore and gameplay always had some significant differences between the new generations and remakes. Aside from Dexit issues (which are largely unavoidable), there seems to be no real significance towards having a "connection".

We need more sheep pokemon.

We have what, 10 dogs lines, but only 2 sheep (and the first one doesn't stay a sheep).

After all, isn't that how the vast majority of great Pokémon trainers are presented to us in games, as experts in a certain type?
They are presented as experts in a type, but they weren't monotype trainers back then. Sabrina carried a Venomoth, and every member of the Elite Four had pokemon not of their specialty type.

Back
Top Bottom