• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "D'OH!" moments

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Time for a bit of fun. Similar to the "Wow, I was such an idiot" or whatever thread from way back when, this thread is to post your great moments in bad judgment or any other blunders that you may have made during your Pokemon runs. They can be anything, like mixing up certain type matchups, using the wrong move at the wrong time, online strategies backfiring or utterly failing, and so on. Basically, any moment that would make you go "D'oh!" for one reason or another. So, on with the show.

I'll start with this. I finally got my Ultra Sun run off the ground today (mom's been very sick, so I've had to help her quite a bit, though she's on the mend) and was catching Mons in the Trainer School. I caught a decent Zurora that I felt like using (it could help me cheese a certain Ultra Mon later down the road), so I decided to keep it and start Leveling it up. I put him in front and wandered around for a random encounter. Ran into an Alolan Grimer. I sent out a Mon that wasn't Dusk (Rowlet, to be exact), much to my confusion, so I ran... only to remember right afterward that Zurora has the ability Illusion, which allows it to take the form of the Mon in the back. In short, I fell for my own Mon's ability. Granted, I've never actually trained a member of the Zurora family before, so I actually forgot about that, but I couldn't help but laugh at myself for such a dumb blunder.

Now it's your turn. What moment(s) have you lot had that made you go "D'oh!"? Have fun.

Anything related to Fairy for me, like forgetting X Pokémon is now a Fairy, to forgetting what works against Fairies, etc. It's been 6 years and my situation is still that bad.

Also, everytime I get killed because I think "nah, I have enough HP to tank this, there's no need to use a Full Restore".

I'm currently trying to breed a new Platinum team and have been trying to pass Rock Polish down from Smeargle (Sketched from my female starter Torterra, whom I used the only TM on) to a Numel. In this game, moves available by TM can be passed from father to child like Egg moves if the child can use that TM, somewhat bypassing the non-reusable restriction.

Well, it turns out Numel can't use the TM and I assumed it could. Damn.

Anything related to Fairy for me, like forgetting X Pokémon is now a Fairy, to forgetting what works against Fairies, etc. It's been 6 years and my situation is still that bad.

Also, everytime I get killed because I think "nah, I have enough HP to tank this, there's no need to use a Full Restore".

Yeah, I know that feeling all too well. I can have a memory lapse every now and then when it comes to what's been changed to Fairy. I tend to have a particularly difficult time remembering that the Mr. Mime line is part Fairy now, so I often use moves like Bite, Dark Pulse, etc on it, only to remember when the move hits that it's only neutral damage now instead of super effective. I don't know why Mr. Mime always gives me that issue. At least when it came to Mons like the Ralts line, Mawile, Celfairy line, and Snubble lines I can remember that change, but Mr. Mime somehow always throws me off to this day.

Had a pretty recent one. I pulled out my Diamond version for a change of pace and booted it up. According to it, I was just about to face Fantina. When facing her Gengar I used my Infernape's Dig... only to forget that Gengar still had Levitate in Gen IV, as it didn't lose it until Gen VII. So... that attack went nowhere (although it did help me dodge Confuse Ray, so it wasn't a total loss), but I felt pretty embarrassed with that little blunder.

Finding out Fire resists Fairy by using Moonblast against Delphox in my first XY WiFi battle with my boosted Xerneas, getting taken out instead and almost losing the game because of it.

For the longest time, I thought Bug doesn't resist Grass which would be the weirdest thing, and then I found out the reason why I thought this way was because at one point in time I used a Grass-type move on a Nincada. Thing is, Nincada is partially Ground, and I completely forgot about that. ._.

I got another one: I spent three hours getting a Bagon at Route 3 in Pokémon Moon, only to realize later that you can get them easier at Kala'e Bay. The sad thing is, I also did this in Ultra Moon.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom