• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite bug for battle?

Krash

I aim to misbehave
Reaction score
Aesthetics and usefulness are two different things. Not all bug pokemon look great, but they do serve their purpose. What are the bugs that YOU use on your team?

I alternate between three:

Volcarona: My go-to fire type. Pretty much every time someone switches in steel, I yank out Volcarona. Not only does it's STAB fire plow through, but it can take a hit. The amount of times I've wiped out a Mega-Mewtwo can't even be counted anymore.

Galvantula: I usually stick him out first. He gets a pretty fast Sticky Web out to slow down the competition, an Infestation to chip away HP and prevent fleeing, then finally a STAB Compound Eyes Thunder to cripple (and possibly paralyze). She's my little yellow beauty queen.

Scolipede: This thing is strictly a one-trick set-up. HA Speed Boost combined with it's Swords Dance, followed by U-Turn usually gives me a pretty damned awesome setup. AND, in the event that I don't get taken out within the first two hits (maxed EV defence and HP), I can usually sneak in another Swords Dance. Anything that usually gets sent out after U-Turn is a contender.

So what bugs do you guys use on your teams? How do you use them? I'm curious.

Scizor is my number one bug type. Love running both the Mega and the Choice Band set. Hits hard as hell and has the ability to pivot when needed.

I have used a few bug types for my teams, mostly Scizor, Galvantula and Vivillion.

Scizor is mostly my bulky defogger, with Bug Bite/Bullet Punch/Roost.
Galvantula as the Sticky Web/Thunder spammer. Used it in my first OU XY team.
Vivillon is the annoying mon with sleep powder/hurricane/bug buzz/quiver dance. Compoundeyes is awesome.

I'd say my favourite Bugs would be... Escavalier and Volarona, Escavalier because I grew attatced to it during my White playthrough, Volcarana for the same reason.

Also, when I was filling in for the BBL's Bug leader I grew quite attatched to a few Bug types, such as Armaldo, Galvantula, Pinsir and Scolipede. I also grew a little attatched to Scizor and Heracross, but I still don't like them that much.

Despite their usefulness, I was never a fan of Scizor, Heracross, or Pinsir when they first made the scene. Back then, in Gen 2 and Gen 1, my go-to creepy crawly was Butterfree, because the thing had a wicked Confusion.

Galvantula is probably my most used Bug type. Sticky Web can cause some pretty heavy devastation if your opponent can't deal with it, but beyond that, Galvantula's usually strong enough to get a kill under her belt with a Thunder or a Bug Buzz.

Aside from that, I definitely like Pinsir a lot more thanks to his Mega, and even though I've never used one in competitive play, I stuck a Choice Scarf on a Heracross during my HeartGold playthrough and he pretty much carried my team.

From the responses in this thread, I might also give Mega Scizor a go at some point.

Escavalier.

Throw on an Assault Vest and start luring stuff in (non-Air Baloon Heatran) or scaring stuff out (fairies).

I also like Scizor and Genesect for U-Turn spam and a constant offensive advantage.

Scizor is my number 1 choice!

Not only is he my favorite Pokémon, but he's also one of the best competitive bug-types in my eyes. An extremely useful typing that only gives him a weakness to Fire, combined with good defensive stats and a high Attack stat just makes him a very useful tank. I prefer to use Mega Scizor, since he gets an impressive boost to his defensive stats which improves his defensive skills further.

Technician is also the perfect ability for him, since he gets both Bullet Punch and Bug Bite. Bullet Punch also makes up for Scizor's low Speed and allows him to hit the commonly used Fairy-types.

If my Scizor can get two Swords Dances up, or maybe even three, he is capable of sweeping entire teams with Bullet Punch or X-Scissor, if battling a slower Pokémon. I have done such battles a few times, and it's wonderful when Scizor is showing his massive attacking power.

Volcarona
is also one of my most used Bug-types. His attacking power is also impressive, and with Quiver Dance, he can also be capable of sweeping entire teams if he doesn't get stopped instantly. I'm also a big fan of his signature move, Fiery Dance, which I prefer to use. With 80 Base Power and a 50 % chance to raise Special Attack, it's almost too OP to be honest.

Scolipede
has grown into a true powerhouse this generation, with his Attack buff and most importantly his Speed Boost Ability.
I prefer to use Scolipede as a Physical Sweeper. Throw a Focus Sash on him, and you are guaranteed to get +1 Speed and +2 Attack if you use Swords Dance the first turn.
I have been a big fan of Scolipede since he was revealed back in 5th gen, and I also used him in my Black 2 as a Swords Dance Sweeper, but he has never been more powerful than now!

Volcarona- It's typing is very good and is capable of sweeping. It's the main bug type I use in Single battles because it's so strong.

Galvantula- Very useful in Double battles and I usually use it as a lead with my Mega Lucario.

Mega Pinsir- I first chose it because I liked its appearance but after using it I realized it is really strong!

Galvantula Look at this spider, little terror he is. Compound eyes, he can see you everywhere, you ain't fast enough to dodge his Thunder strikes. Think you're quick? BAM! Sticky web up in your face! Not so quick now! Bringing the Psychic and Dark types? He's a bug! He shows no fear! Bug Buzz for them suckas! Gonna bring your ground types so they can't get rocked by the thunder? Here's some ENERGY BALL all over you. In closing, Galvantula is the best bug and the best thing ever.

Gonna bring up some bugs I've not used before but was either considering or have battled against. Namely Scyther and Vivillon.

Vivillon is alright for a regional bug. Probably one of the better one. Hopefully the move tutor blesses it with some moves.

Now Scyther. I'm surprised I don't see this more. Granted I do play a lot more OU as opposed to lower tiers so it may be more common down there. Back when I was under consideration to be a BBL leader and wanted a bug gym I was going to build a set of Eviolite Technician Scyther, aka proably the most common set. Likely would have run Aerial Ace since that is a great move for Technician, especially with STAB.

My X Butterfree was bad. Ass. Thanks to the 10 point boost to its overall BST and the Exp. Share's revamped effect, I pretty much had no trouble keeping her up to par with the rest of my team and she kicked butt in every battle she was in. My favorite Pokémon is one of my most trustworthy battlers. My Butterfree from FireRed also was pretty cool, but she stalled around level 46 or so.

Scolipede, even before Speed Boost a Swords Dance and goodbye.

tbh Scolipede, and to an extent Ninjask, are overrated. They all follow the same rotation of Turn 1 Protect (Speed +1), Turn 2 +2 Boosting Move and Sash is broken (+2 whatever, +2 Speed), Turn 3 Protect (+2 whatever, +3 Speed), and Turn 4 Baton Pass. Pokemon like Cloyster, Cincinno, and *insert other Skill Link Pokemon here* break down this oh so common set up. Something I like seeing though is when a Scolipede is Bulky and goes for the sweep itself. Probably one of my favorite versions of it.

I personally use Scolipede as a simple Swords Dance Sweeper.

I don't like to use it as a Baton Passer, since his stats are much more offensive oriented. Ninjask is the better option to Baton Pass in my eyes.

Scolipede with max Attack and Speed EVs with Swords Dance + Focus Sash almost never fail me. If he has Focus Sash, I don't think Protect is necessary, since you in most situations are guaranteed +1 Speed and +2 Attack the first turn if no hazards or prankster users are in play. With his great offensive coverage move as well as the now more viable Poison Jab to hit fairies, I just really like to go all-out offensive with Scolipede. :D

If I swap my boosts from Scolipede, it's only after one swords dance. The turn after is either a Megahorn to cripple whatever the hell is trying to counter me, or UTurn to dish damage and swap.

Scolipede, even before Speed Boost a Swords Dance and goodbye.

tbh Scolipede, and to an extent Ninjask, are overrated. They all follow the same rotation of Turn 1 Protect (Speed +1), Turn 2 +2 Boosting Move and Sash is broken (+2 whatever, +2 Speed), Turn 3 Protect (+2 whatever, +3 Speed), and Turn 4 Baton Pass. Pokemon like Cloyster, Cincinno, and *insert other Skill Link Pokemon here* break down this oh so common set up. Something I like seeing though is when a Scolipede is Bulky and goes for the sweep itself. Probably one of my favorite versions of it.

The reason Scolipede is good is that yeah, it could be the ID Passer but it can also be the super threatening LO Cleaner that is essentially Blaziken-Lite.

Scizor has always been my favourite, very awesome design and has a lot of options so it can fit into almost any team well.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom