• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite Champion?

Who is your favorite Champion?

• Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Lance

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Red

• Steven

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Wallace

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Cynthia

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Alder

• Iris

• Diantha

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Trace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leon

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Mustard

• Peony

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What about Kukui and Hau? I feel if Blue and Trace are counted, then they should count too, or at least Hau.

What about Kukui and Hau? I feel if Blue and Trace are counted, then they should count too, or at least Hau.
Technically, they aren't officially Champion. While they may act as the main story's final battle, they're never given the Champion title or anything.

Also as for my favorite Champion, that title goes to the queen herself, Champion Cynthia.

Every time I hear the piano that plays before the battle with Cynthia, my heart legit races. It still does 12 years after my first encounter with her. That's just how impactful she is on my Pokémon journey.

I'm quite partial to Alder, who I think is the most fleshed out and dimensional. But I love Leon as well, and Mustard has rapidly shot up in the ranks for me upon playing the DLC. I also think both of them have vastly better teams than Alder, whose composition feels really slapdash (is... is he supposed to be a quasi-Bug expert or what?). Not to mention the quality of the battle presentation (the battle with Leon is the hypest Champion fight ever) is better for them, but a lot of that has to do with the ever-improving graphics.

Blue and Cynthia are both solid. I'm hoping that eventual Gen 4 remakes can give the latter a booster shot of characterization because that's the one thing I think she's missing.

Here, let's rank:

1. Leon
2. Mustard
3. Alder
4. Blue
5. Cynthia
6. Iris (Has an absolutely amazing battle presentation and a decent team with some interesting choices, but it does kinda feel like she was made Champion without proper character build-up, which is supposed to be Gen 5's strength.)
7. Steven (He'd be much lower were it not for ORAS allowing him to be expressive in 3D and tying him more convincingly into the storyline.)
8. Lance (I like what they're going for; I like that he gets the ball rolling on Silver's reconsideration of his principles and I like how he helps out against Team Rocket, but that part feels a little half-assed since he's nowhere to be seen during the Radio Tower invasion. He's got a cool look (in some appearances, in others I think he looks kinda lame) and it makes sense that he would take over after Red's retirement. His music is very tense and effective. I don't care for the Dragonite spam squad though.)
9. Diantha (I don't think I really need to elaborate on the problems of Diantha. Everyone already knows.)
10. Wallace (It feels like he was promoted just for the sake of having a twist, and I really don't think having a monotype Champion is a good move. Iris, Steven, and Lance all try to avert that at least somewhat, but Wallace is straight-up "Here's a team of Water types in a region that heavily features Water types and even had a Water-type Gym Leader ahead of me.")
11. Trace (Nothing more than a shitty sanitized knock-off of Blue. That's not necessarily me stanning jerk rivals; I think both friendly and antagonistic rivals can be done well, but almost everything they do with Trace has been done far better elsewhere - the one good beat to his character is him adopting the orphan Cubone.)

Were we to include the other endgamers of Ghetsis, Kukui, and Hau, I'd probably put Ghetsis and then Kukui after Alder, and Hau after Blue.

Edit: Oh, I went and forgot Red, didn't I? Oh well. I guess in keeping with his spirit, I just don't have much to say. The final fight is really cool the first time. But that's really all he's good for.

Leon for the same reason as Skalesgon's lol. But seriously I like that he's just a fun character and involved in the story, his gimmick of getting lost also gave me a laugh. Plus him being Hop's older brother helps too.

Cynthia is bumped down to second favorite now, though she's still pretty cool and helpful to the player. Her design is still nice as well.

Leon. It was Lance for a very long time, but Leon swooped in on a Charizard (a freaking Charizard! A Pokemon I have a very strong love/hate relationship for) and stole Lance's title away. He had so much personality, and I love how much charm the game gives him. He might be the undefeated champion but that doesn't mean he can find his way to the Stadium on his own. Plus it doesn't hurt that he's really handsome.

Cynthia has been my favorite since Gen 4. I really like her battle theme, her team and how she gets involved in the region's mythology.

Design-wise I like Diantha but she's like a blank-slate personality-wise.

My favourite is Cynthia for sure. She was insanely strong, had a nice personality with some nice depth to it (And it was cool to see someone have an interest that wasn't just Pokémon Battling.) and she has a great design.

I also really like Alder and I find it sad there's little rep for him. He's a wise man who's goes around the region to meet people and see more and tries to teach people valuable lessons through words and experiences.

IN terms of purely being badass, Red and Blue are cool.

Obviously N! Too bad that he didn't had enough time to change things according to his will or the Pkmn world, starting with Isshu, would've been a better place.

Steven comes in second place because it was the first champion who was wandering around doing other stuff and helping people.

What do you call someone who beats the Champion? He's a champion, both of his cause as well as by beating the actual titled Champion.
N clearly states "You may have the title of Champion. But you can't stop me with just a title." Clearly the winner has the option to refuse the title, it's just that most don't. For him, just proving himself superior to Alder was enough.

Me.

But since that's not an option, I went with Cynthia. It meant a lot to me when we finally had a female champion, but she's also a strong opponent--her champion fight is one of the hardest--and her battle music is incredible (although my absolute favorite champion theme is Iris's). Plus, I like that she's a mythology nerd. So am I!

Iris is probably my second favorite.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom