• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite Mystery Dungeon game?

What Mystery Dungeon game is your favorite?

• Total voters
I did like Explorers of Time, too. Same with Blue Rescue Team. Not a big fan of Gates to Infinity but I didn't hate it either. Haven't played SPMD, yet, but I will give it a try in the future (if Fantasy Life stops draining my time.

Sky is by far the best because you can actually listen to the music in that game.
Sky was merely the first game to offer that feature. It was present in Gates to Infinity (albeit in the postgame) and Super Mystery Dungeon has the feature accessible from the title screen.

I guess explorers of time/explorers of darkness would be my favorite. I can't remember for sure which of them is the one I played; I think it was darkness, but I'm not 100% sure. Never played sky through I know it's almost the same thing. I really like super mystery dungeon too.

First off: I apparently forgot to add a poll while creating the thread. Be sure to vote your opinions too.

Second: My personal favorite is Super Mystery Dungeon. The partner is incredibly well written, the equivalent of a guild is more compact and likable, the story is well written, and it even fixes a lot of things that were done not so well in Gates.

It's gotta be Explorers (primarily Sky) but, for me, Super really isn't all that far behind. It was great to feel challenged by a Gen VI era game for once.

But those games aren't as good
Nah, Super is definitely on par with Explorers. Explorers' story is slightly more memorable (the ending having a lot of influence in that), but Super's story was a lot more polished.

Nah, Super is definitely on par with Explorers. Explorers' story is slightly more memorable (the ending having a lot of influence in that), but Super's story was a lot more polished.

Explorers has much better music, a much better storyline (the first half of the game isn't all filler), more memorable characters, and in my opinion, better gameplay.

I love Red/Blue Rescue Team the most, but Super Mystery Dungeon is also great. I love the different things the Pokémon say in the dungeons. Even Tentacool manages to endear itself to me with "I shoot weird beams! They're really weird!"
There's also the heartbreaking low-HP Kangaskhan quote: "I'm done... Please, take care of my baby..." :cry:
I like that they partially returned to this dynamic in SMD... although sometimes it's difficult to get the Pokémon to speak instead of striking a pose!

Explorers of Sky is just objectively the best entry in the series, and one of the best Pokémon games overall. Explorers of Time/Darkness were already fantastic games, of course, but what's cute next to gorgeous? I don't think there's any reason to choose them over Sky, I mean, there's really not much left to be desired from Explorers of Sky. What I didn't particularly like was that they replaced the Luxray tribe with Manectric, it just didn't make sense. I also think it's a shame Arceus wasn't in it, and I would have loved for Friend Areas to return, but that's all I could think of. A solid 10/10!

Blue/Red Rescue Team come second for me, I still enjoy replaying these games a lot and considering it was the first time the Fushigi no Dungeon and the Pokémon series met, it's amazing how much these games did right, and if it wasn't for the foundation they laid, the Explorers games never would've turned out as close to perfect as they did.

Then there's a big gap on my list, followed by Super Mystery Dungeon. It's certainly not a bad game, it offers a lot of content and you can tell the developers put much love in it, but it just didn't feel as "Mystery Dungeon" as the predecessors. The story was rather meh, the difficulty level was too high, and I'm not a fan of the new gameplay mechanics either. I was incredibly excited when this game was announced, but ultimately it was a bit of a letdown.

At the bottom: Gates to Infinity. No comment needed.

Then there's a big gap on my list, followed by Super Mystery Dungeon. It's certainly not a bad game, it offers a lot of content and you can tell the developers put much love in it, but it just didn't feel as "Mystery Dungeon" as the predecessors. The story was rather meh, the difficulty level was too high, and I'm not a fan of the new gameplay mechanics either. I was incredibly excited when this game was announced, but ultimately it was a bit of a letdown.
I guess it must be normal rogue-like-level difficulty now. For being pretty much the most difficult Pokémon games, they are still pretty benevolent compared to others of the genre.

I guess it must be normal rogue-like-level difficulty now. For being pretty much the most difficult Pokémon games, they are still pretty benevolent compared to others of the genre.
I haven't really played any other games of the genre, so I honestly don't know. I only noticed that overall it was noticeably harder than the earlier games, and unlike those, it didn't quite feel like a "fair" kind of difficulty to me. The previous games had their share of somewhat challenging patches too, but they were always balanced and also allowed you to grind a bit in-between if necessary, which wasn't really the case with Super.

For me it has to between Explorers of Time and Gates to Infinity. If i have to choose one it has to be Explorers of Time since the gameplay was a little better than Gates of Infinity along with its music, storyline, etc. But both games will have a special place in my heart.

Explorers of Time is my favorite. Do you think we're going to have a new Mystery Dungeon game on Nintendo Switch?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom