• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favorite Pokemon game?

My Top 3 favorite:

1. Red/Blue/Green(1st Gen)- because of the starters(Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur) and this is the reason why I fell in love with Pokemon.
2. Black/White version(5th Gen)- I just love the story and the twist. This is also has the best ending ever and great Legendary Pokemon(that Gundam-like Reshiram and Zekrom).
3. X/Y(6th Gen)- though I don't really like the story and the plot, but the graphics got it all! Especially when it is in 3D and that Super Training and Pokemon-Amie is great big leap for any Pokemon games.

My favorite Main Title game would have to be SoulSilver. I absolutely loved the game! The music was pretty good, and the starters were all great as well. I still hold Chikorita as my favorite starter of all time. Beating the Elite 4 and finding out there was even more to explore was great, and the Elite 4 themselves were a big challenge to me. I remember I finally took out Lance's Dragonite with my Lugia with the move Fly. Ahh, such great memories!
My favorite Spin-Off is definitely Pokémon Ranger: Shadows Of Almia. My first ever Pokémon game was the first Ranger game, and I loved it. Even though it was small, I still love it to this day. And then Shadows Of Almia came out. I immediately bought it, and it was great! The story was more extensive, there were more places to explore, multiple partner Pokémon, my favorite Spin-Off by far!

Probably a two way tie between the remakes for the Gen II titles and Pokemon Emerald. While some can rightfully criticize Gen II for its share of problems, it was unquestionably a leap forward with 100 new Pokemon (a 66% increase from the original 151?), the introduction of held items, the addition of the Dark and Steel types for balancing the types established in Gen I, new moves, division of the player's bag, and much more. My favorite, however, is the Day/Night cycle - its omission in the original Pokemon Emerald devastated me and is probably one of the primary reasons why it couldn't quite edge out the Gen II games. I also selected the remakes over the originals, as I felt the remakes were loyal enough to originals to the point I don't see the need differentiating between the two. While such a distinction is probably wrong on some levels, as the physical/special split and other changes were made, I'm a casual enough player where I felt the games were essentially Gen II, graphics and other minutiae aside.

The love for Emerald is obvious for fans of Gen III, but for the sake of brevity I'll just state my three favorite things about Hoenn: the region itself, the soundtrack, and the graphics. Certainly the last is funny considering how far games have come, but in its time I thought it was such a massive improvement from G/S/C. They could have been better, yes, but an improvement is an improvement nonetheless.

hmmm, a tough one indeed.
In no particular order my top three are
HG/SS-These games were amazing. The graphics are amazing, the menus are amazing, and everything is revamped and improved upon since D/P/PLT. The graphics are smoother, its the only pokemon game besides the original gold and silver to have two regions, plus YOUR FUCKING POKEMON WALKS WITH YOU AND YOU CAN TALK TO IT. I never understood why this feature hasn't returned. Plus you can toggle the running shoes which is cool as well.
Emerald- Gen III overall is just amazing. Even today, ten years later this game is as enjoyable to play as it was when it first came out. The starters are the best out of the entire series, no argument, the story was great, the evil teams were kind of weak but it is still an awesome game. My first pokemon game.
Black/White- These games were great. The starters are kind of weak, I wish Samurott would be Water/Fighting or Water/Bug. Gen V introduced some of the best pokemon in the game, the story was great, N was great, though it was a bit short.

I'm really liked Soul Silver. Liked Sapphire a lot, waiting for the remake.

The graphics for Black/ White bugged. And it distracted me from the game some.

I've always liked Pearl, my first game, but I also love all of the Pokemon Ranger games and Pokemon Rumble Blast. They're just cool.

I know I posted here before, but I have revised my oppinion since then so I have an excuse to talk about them (though B/W is runner-up to the one below and PMD 2 is still one of my favourites.) The games in question, you ask? Well, here are my (revised) picks for my favourite Pokémon game.

Firstly, on the main series side, Saphire. I like it because, while the story in B/W was better and the Physical/Special split was a thing by then, I don't need story to enjoy a game and I first played it when I was little and back then I'd just wail away at the opponent until it died/got within catching range. Also, the graphics, while they are primitve, are (in my oppinion) the best in the series and your fancy 3D models can burn in hell. The music is another aspect of the game I really like simply because of that retro feel (and the fact that it wasn't bleeps and bloops, which was a huge step up from the previous Pokémon games.) I also like a lot of the Pokémon designs, such as Aggron, Swellow, Swampert, Blaziken, Shiftree, Mightyena, Armaldo, Milotic, Absol, Metagross, the Eon duo, Salamence, Kyogre, Rayquaza and, of corse, Gardevoir... I even like Castform and Chimecho, there, I said it.

As for spin-offs, I'd say it's a tie between Colosseum and PMDs 1 and 2. PMD 2 I've already talked about, and I like PMD 1 (though mainly Blue) for pretty much the same reasons, that and without it we wouldn't have PMD 2. Colosseum is a favourite because it was the first and (in my oppinion) only Pokémon game that had 3D models that look... Pokémon-like (besides XD, but I havn't got a chance to play it yet.) Sure, Stadium was OK for it's time and X/Y was decent for a handheld, but PBR has no excuse for it's models. And sure there were things that were off about the graphics (such as Jumpluff's shadow,) but it's more Pokémon-like then any other 3D Pokémon game in my oppinion, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And the music was very good. If you want to know how good the music is just listen to the First Battle theme or the Normal Battle theme and tell me you don't like it. The story is OK, but I beleive I expressed my veiws on a game not needing to have a good story to be a good game... That's all I have to say on it.

EDIT: I forgot one thing about Colosseum: the fact that all the battles are Doubles. Since I started compeditve battling with them VGC Wi-Fi comps this is a blessing for me and I wish they would put more manditory Double battles in the main series.

Last edited:
I have fond memories of Sapphire (it was the first Pokemon game I bought with my own money, since I'd gotten Red/Blue/Silver as gifts for birthdays/Christmas) like beating the Elite Four for the first time with my level 60+ Blaziken and Gardevoir (back when I thought level 60 was a damn good level lol), exploring the whole of Hoenn, finding out completely accidentally that Rayquaza existed... and of course, gen III brought my two favorite Pokemon into existence (Gardevoir and Mawile). However, this isn't my favorite game.

My favorite game is a tie between B/W, BW2, and X. BW because these games were just so thrilling storywise, it was the first generation with an actual story I cared about and enjoyed, and BW2 continued that. Plus, everything about it was pretty much perfect to me, lol. X because they took the glorious switch to 3D, and glorious it was. A wide open region, new Pokemon that look awesome (even Barbaracle -- though I went "dafuq is that thing" at first) and a pretty decent story. I mean, XY have their flaws, but I'm willing to excuse that since this is Pokemon's first mainseries game on the 3DS, so they're not going to have everything worked out perfectly yet.

plus it gave Gardevoir and Mawile Mega Evolutions and the fairy type making them actual viable options for once (well, Mawile more than Gardevoir, since Gardy was already pretty good, but ya know.).

After thinking a lot about this, I've come to the conclusion that the only reasons I like Gens I. and II. (Kanto, Johto) and their respective Gen III. and IV. remakes are because:
* nostalgia factor
* the soundtrack is great, really, but well, Pokemon doesn't have any game with bad soundtrack, so :p
* loving all of the original 250+ pokemons, Since they are more hardly obtainable in newer generations, there's a reason to play Kanto and Johto cause of them..

But otherwise, those games aren't that good.

I must agree with RainbowSylveon that the story, characters and presentation in BW are just SOO GOOD that it easily triumphs others in overall quality. I just love everything Unova, well... except the lame adaptation of it :/

Emerald I think, had a great story and also the battle frontier in that game was simply top notch! I think it simply had everything I would want in a good Pokemon game in it.

SoulSilver. Having succeeded so well in uniting the classic and the new. I also like that it has plenty to do.

If we're talking mainstream games, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. I did enjoy the Gen III games, but Gen IV was where my interest for Pokemon skyrocketed. Not to mention Gen IV has a big number of my favorite Pokemon.

Otherwise, my all-time favorite Pokemon game is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. The Mystery Dungeon games are my favorite Pokemon spin-off, and Gates to Infinity is definitely the high point of the series so far. The numerous tweaks and updates to the gameplay make it so much more fun to play it, and the extra stuff you can do like building your park made it the most fun I've ever had playing a Pokemon game.

My favorite Pokemon games are Gold/Silver/Crystal and their remakes. Johto is my favorite region by far, mainly since I was introduced to my favorite Pokemon there: Sneasel. I also like the fact that there's two regions and 16 badges, which makes it even more awesome to me.

Pokemon SoulSilver by far. The walking with your Pokemon is the main part-you really get to bond with your Pokemon, while in the other games, the Pokemon just seem like battle assets. The ability to travel between Kanto and Johto is awesome, and the Pokegear is a great addition, especially with the ability to rematch trainers. There's more to do than regular battles- Battle Frontier, Pokeathon, and the Wifi Plaza. Also, Johto is home to Heracross. :lx214:

EDIT: If we're talking more than main series games, I loved PMD: Explorers of Time. The story is amazing and very memorable, the gameplay is fun, the music sounds wonderful, and the cutscene graphics are some the greatest pieces of pixelated art I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Pokemon SoulSilver - Great game, music was nice, a long enough game which kept me occupied for a long time. Walking Pokemon was good fun. Loved the story in it.

Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - My favourite game in all the series. Loved everything about it.

Pokemon Pearl: It got me into the series, so naturally it'd be a favourite. Galactic were a cool team and I enjoyed everything about it

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom