• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Favorite Pokémon Movie?

What is your favorite Pokémon movie?

• Jirachi: Wish Maker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giratina and the Sky Warrior

• Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom

• Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice

• Genesect and the Legend Awakened

• Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction

• Hoopa and the Clash of Ages

• Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution

• Secrets of the Jungle

• Total voters
Reaction score
A question no doubt asked many, many times, but let it be asked once more, to commemorate the long-awaited and unfortunately delayed release of the 23rd Pokémon movie just yesterday. What is your favorite Pokémon movie, and why? Be aware that movie-length TV specials aren't counted here.

The 2nd one is my absolute favorite because it was such an improvement over the Mewtwo movie's anticlimax. Also the Lucario movie is really well written and so is the Darkrai one.

I'll always have a soft spot for Spell of the Unown. I remember renting the VHS for weeks at a time from a nearby Deli around 2003-04.

My favourite film is #2. It's such a great action romp with a fantastic message about co-existence. The story may be linear but I never fail to get sucked into the quest. The bird trio are majestic and Lugia manages to hold that perfect balance between being mysterious and awe-inspiting, whilst having a role of some substance and relevance. (Even now, just thinking about Lugia gives me a shadow of that thrill of excitement from first seeing it in the cinema as a kid when it was a brand new Pokemon not in my Pokedex book.) And of course, it is the TRio's biggest and best role in a movie, so there's always that.

I want Destiny Deoxys to be my favorite because the aesthetic is so amazing and it has a really cool setup, but that movie just gets so freaking boring.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, probably. The story in that one was really strong and I got attached to the characters and their backstory. <3 Though I really liked Spell of the Unown, Jirachi Wishmaker (that theme song is amaaaazing), Destiny Deoxys, and Heroes a lot too. Such a hard choice tbh.

I think I'd have to go with movie #2, The Power of One. There was something about watching that movie as a kid that I just thought was so cool about it. A big part of it was honestly the fact that it felt like Misty had a bigger role than in the first movie, and especially when I was a kid, I absolutely loved her (and still do!) I remember also liking the whole "chosen one" thing and Ash going on that whole journey to collect all of the treasures. They looked so cool and I wanted to touch those things so bad, lol. And Team Rocket actually helping out in the plot was something I always enjoyed and found really awesome! Also, like a few others said, this movie had a lot of different elements going for it. Action, adventure, humor, emotion, itty bitty hints of romance...even watching it now as an adult, I still love it. I just think it's an overall solid and entertaining movie.

There are quite a few Pokémon movies I really enjoy, though! Spell of the Unown is a real close second for me; that was another movie that, as a kid, I was just transfixed by and still feel has a really interesting plot.

I also quite like Mewtwo Strikes Back, Pokémon Heroes, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, and The Power of Us (which for me was the biggest surprise out of all the movies...I was so blown away the first time I watched it by just how good it was!) I will also fully admit that Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution is a bit of a guilty favorite. I'm such a sucker for nostalgia and actually liked the CGI take on it.

My favorite is probably Mewtwo Strikes Back, mostly because of nostalgia. I never saw it in theaters, but I heard others talking about it in the school playground. I eventually watched it on YouTube, which I as a big deal, but an even bigger deal was when I saw it on DVD at godparents' (can't remember if they're my or my sister's godparents, shame on me) house, and they agreed to give me a DVD copy of the movie as well. So basically, I like this movie because of how elusive it was for me as a child, how great it felt to own it, and how big the scope of the movie is. Mewtwo is a great character, and this movie one of the many reasons why it's my favorite Legendary.

Another one of my favorites is Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. It's a very well written movie, which features a Pokémon that's become one of my favorites as a main star. One "Top Pokémon movies" list I saw also pointed out how this movie was the last big hurrah for 4Kids' work with Pokémon, and it feels like the cast was giving it their all for it. The same list also brings up how this movie's production began before Destiny Deoxys was even finished, showing how important this movie was. And that shows too. Overall, both the creators and the dub team went all out with this movie, and it's no wonder it's amongst so many people's favorite Pokémon movies, and a big reason for why Lucario is such a fan favorite.

PS. Not to hate on anyone who likes The Power of One, but I personally don't like it that much these days. For the longest time, it was the only Pokémon movie I owned, so I rewatched it so many times I eventually grew tired of it, despite its epic scale. So I can't bring myself to really like it, but I can recognize that it's a good and nostalgic movie.

Objectively I think Our Story and Emperor of the Crystal Tower are the best Pokemon movies but I'm always going to be bias towards Mewtwo Strikes Back because it was the first anime film I ever saw in theaters.

I think that my favourites are: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and Zoroark the Master of Illusions. The first one has a very interesting lore and a well-tied story. The Lucario's chronicle and the Pokémon itself were very well stated, it is not without reason that the Pokémon is, until today, one of the most compelling in the franchise. In its turn, the 13th Pokémon movie stands out for technical reasons. Its animation and the action scenes are seamless, plus the overall quality footage is too pretty good. The plot and its execution is also one of the best in the franchise. In short, I rewatched all Pokémon Movies two years ago and I was very impressed by the quality of the animation of this film.

Obs: My props to the Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys Munchlax, very funny character, perhaps the best of the franchise.

Obs 2: When I was a child, I loved the Emperor of the Crystal Tower movie, especially because of the epic battle between Charizard and Entei.

Last edited:
For me it's a tie between The Power of One and The Spell of the Unown. The former is mostly nostalgia reasons, as it's the only Pokemon movie I actually got to see in theaters as a kid, and to me it was a BIG deal. It also helps that it introduced what remains my favorite Legendary Pokemon to date, and I'm honestly not even sure whether my childish love for that film influenced my love for Lugia or if it's actually the other way around. It's kind of a weird, cyclical chicken-or-egg kind of deal there. Also, Lugia's song is till so epic to listen to even to this day. The Spell of the Unown, meanwhile, has what I feel is the most compelling and well-structured plot of the movies, not to mention the best human antagonist in any movie, since the others tend to be one-dimensional mustache-twirlers, which wouldn't even be a bad thing, since those kinds of antagonists still can be good, but the problem is that they also need to be fun and entertaining to really make up for being so lacking in character (in fact, this is pretty much exactly how most old Disney Villains manage to steal the show: they don't really tend to have a lot to their character or motivations beyond simple greed and/or envy or sometimes even just plain old sh**s and giggles, yet they're just so over-the-top in their delivery and personality that you can't help but enjoy them) and most human antagonists in Pokemon movies simply lack that fun factor. I think the only ones who do pull it off are the Masked Marauder and Annie and Oakley.

The Rise of Darkrai for the sheer nostalgia alone. Not to mention the excellent atmosphere, Darkrai not being what it seemed to be and the Oracion angle.
It was the first Pokémon movie I ever saw and it’ll have a special place in my heart forever.

The Power of Us for reasons I've stated in other threads, mainly related to its vast and varied cast of characters and the way they interact with each other through the compelling story being told. Unfortunately it loses some of its charm on subsequent viewings because the climax lasts for so long (a common problem with Pokémon movies in general) and you already know how it ends, but that first viewing when you don't know how it ends is great.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom