• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Favorite Pokemon Movies?

AgedVeteranofShow

Reaction score
Since we had a thread on the reverse, curious what everyone's favorite films are?

My 5 Favorite Are:

1. M08 aka "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew"

I think out of all the AG films, this one stands out as being the best of the bunch. It has a genuinely good plot, with Sir Aaron of Camaron Palace saving it, as an Aura Knight. From that day forward the people honored his deeds with an annual festival, and the whole Lucario feels he was betrayed by him but by the end finding out he was trying to save him instead-- the whole thing is just so fascinating, it feels like they put a lot more thought + creativity into this film than most in the franchise. It's also a solid swan song for the 4Kids Era of the dub, I thought, and generally every character feels like they contribute something towards the story here (TR get to keep Ash's Pokemon company for a solid bit of it, then when they die being engulfed by the blobs it's pretty sad, May keeps Ash's temper under control, Brock provides the comedy with Kidd Summers, while Max gets to help the gang out). It's fairly Ash focused, but it's also very interesting at the same time. I kind of tear up at the end when Lucario & Aaron speak to each other, too.

2. M03 aka "Spell of the Unown"

Out of the Takeshi Shudo Era films- beautiful swan song for his work as well before he left the Series pre-EP244, IMO, and generally the OS ones, I think this is the best of the entire set. I actually really like the plot here, Molly just missing her father and being willing to do anything to get him back. It also helps this is the first dub film 4Kids decided to mostly translate well, and even some of the Team Rocket dialogue that gets changed is generally fairly funny (e.g. "I haven't seen this many strange letters since the last time I placed that personal ad," & "It's like a storybook land invented by a 5 year old!"). Misty & Brock weren't sidelined, actually having to face off against Molly themselves (Brock's line is pretty funny in the dub in the, "I made you laugh, my first victory today"), while Ash goes to rescue his mother from Entei, etc. etc.

3. M05 aka "Pokemon Heroes"

I actually really liked the plot of this one, the Alto Mare backstory and super cheesy in the best of ways. I think it holds up fairly well, once you get past the weird interspecies pseudoromance. Any criticisms I have are mostly minor (pertaining to the dub Annie/Oakley and the former, but they don't bring it down too much, still pretty enjoyable with the main cast of characters as well as Latias/Latios), and anime Venice is pretty cool.

4. M06 aka "Jirachi Wish Maker"

The first Movie in the AG Series, Max is the focus here and he's surprisingly well fleshed out and made a much more interesting character than he ever was in the Anime Series tbh. The bond he and Jirachi have in it, also Flygon keeping its Japanese voice in the dub, and Butler/Diane are some of the more interesting villains to come from this franchise IMO.

5. M21 aka "The Power of Us"

Breath of fresh air compared to the remakes it is sandwiched in between, easily my favorite of the AU films. It's generally got a fairly decent plot, a pretty solid story, and I actually kind of like Ash's outfit in this one. It stands out like a sore thumb to me because it isn't just a rehash of what we saw before, it's not repetitive, and it's the one AU film to have a generally unique not stale plot to it by this point to me.

Honorable mentions: M01 (Japanese Only, though I will say the English dub has genuinely nice voice acting compared to M22's IMO, but everything else oof...)

In no order-
M09- Love May and Manaphy’s story
M03- Love Entei and Molly is a great character
M12- Arceus is great
M01- Iconic
M011- Love Shaymin and the message is great. Listen to the English ending theme song.

HMs:
M06- Love Jirachi and awesome to see Max get spotlight
M08- Lucario’s story was emotional, and this is the movie where Ash got his Aura
M023- Cramorant

My four favourite movies are, in order of release are:

M10: The Rise of Darkrai
The locations in the movie were super nice, and the plot was good. I liked how part of it was music-centralized. It definitely came full circle from where Oracion was played in the beginning, to the race to the top of the spire to play it one last time. This movie overall probably had the best music.

M17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
Canada represent! This also happened to be the first Pokémon movie I ever watched. Seeing Xerneas and Yveltal in action was epic, as we didn't see much of that in the series. This was a good way to actually add X and Y to XY, so to speak.

M19: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel
Volcanion became my favourite of the Kalos Mythicals thanks to this movie. He provided a neat contrast to other Mythicals in movies by not trusting Ash from the get-go, being super stubborn and everything. But his development was super good. I also love the steampunk kingdom and machinery involved, plus the slew of Mega Evolutions that Ash and co. had to fight. This might be my favourite Pokémon movie of all time.

M23: Secrets of the Jungle
It might be somewhat of a Tarzan repeat, but I still appreciate this movie a lot. I found it interesting that they were willing to go down darker routes, especially with
Dr. Zed being the only villain to my knowledge to be responsible for the murder of two major human characters

Should say I haven't watched the Gen 5&6 movies so it's Gen 1-4 and the Alt Universe movies as my reference

Favorite Movies are 8,9,1,5, & 3 in no particular order

Movies 8&9 I really liked the bond of Ash and Lucario, and May with Manaphy and the other stuff around those movies were decent-good as well. But these made me have a new appreciation and love for these characters (plus my inner advanceshipper in M9)
These were also the movies (+M6) I had on DVD so I rewatched them the most so I have a bit of bias and nostalgia towards them

Movie 1 is iconic and has a good story and moments, definitely the first Pokemon movie to make me feel sad

Movie 5 I think just visually is great to watch, the story is more whatever to me but by no means bad, Latias was fun

Movie 3 I really liked Molly’s character can't really explain it, and I did enjoy the process of getting to the conclusion with the battling and Pokemon usage, etc

Honorable mentions
6, 10, ICY

I liked Jirachi Wish Maker, it’s what really sold me on Max during my AG days so that alone makes it a top movie for me, I do think the evil plot was a mix of good and weird

Movie 10, I did like the Darkrai stuff but I think this (to me) started the legendary and the movie characters increased focus which makes me not have it as high as I don't enjoy that aspect as much but it's not as bad as later movies, and I do think it's the best Gen 4 movie

M20 or I choose you is a nice more modern take on the Kanto journey for Ash so I think that alone has it high up, in a lot of aspects I think it's kinda the preferred version imo but it is a retelling so stuff like the Pikachu and Butterfree plots didn't hit as hard as if I was a new viewer or forgot OS, and the real world sequence was weird not bad just weird

Pokémon 3 the Movie: Spell of the Unown - Entei
Pokémon Heroes
: Latios and Latias
Jirachi Wish Maker
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
The Rise of Darkrai
Giratina and the Sky Warrior
White: VIctini and Zekrom
I Choose You!
The Power of Us

My very first encounter with Pokémon was Wish Maker. Consequently, it has a special place in my heart. I really really enjoyed the manaphy movie, and it was adorable to see May interact with one. The Pokémon ranger was also extremely cool.

Here's mine:
3: M03: Spell of the Unown
Molly is actually a rather tragic villain, making her appear empathetic. The movie is also humorous and also feature a bunch of invovlement for all the characters involved, along with a open-ended ending which I kinda liked.
2: M08: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

A movie with a tearjerking ending, a plot that has a lot of good moments, and also every character gets to play a role. Also the origin of ÜN ÜN ÜN so there's a plus
1: M21: The Power of Us
A fun movie with a good plot and a unique flair to it that I didn't observe with other movies. It's a breath of fresh air and a great movie in my opinion.
HMs:
M17: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction:

Ok, this is a bit biased because Diancie is one of my favorite Pokemon, but this movie was one of the reasons why. While it has a few disappointing things, like the shopping scene and the lack of involvement between Xerneas and Diancie, the movie had a strangely good mix of funny and tearjerking moments. Also, Diancie is literally a precious jewel.
M13: Zoroark: Master of Illusions
I think I'm the only one who actually enjoyed the talking Zorua, since I thought she was funny and quirky. Also Kodai is a terrifying , evil villain and you can't change my mind.
M20: I Choose You!
I actually kinda enjoyed the first half of the movie, and the nightmare scene has to be my favorite scene in the movie by lowkey implying that real life is a nightmare . The second half, not so much...

Pokemon Heroes. Alto Mare is a beautiful city, there are some truly scary moments with the resurrected fossil pokemon and there's a sacrifice made to save the day that doesn't get undone.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Really interesting setting with a fascinating history that does Pokemon as tools of war three generations before X and Y, Lucario as a fully fleshed out character with its own arc rather than simply representing a new and/or legendary pokemon, all four main characters play a role, the supporting characters rise above average, there's no actual villain and both the opening and credits songs are bops.

Rise of Darkrai. While it's another seemingly antaognistic pokemon being good all long reveal, the setting (which is based on Spain) is gorgeous, there are interesting ideas at play like the Baron character turning into his pokemon, and the threat level is high. Another strong opening song too.

I Choose You. Considering how the films had issues balancing character incorporation with the XY era and the size of the regular cast in SM, trying something different felt the right call.

The Power of Us. Easily the best human cast in a Pokemon film.

Detective Pikachu. It adapts the game to film in a way that doesn't alienate people unfamiliar with the franchise and creates a world where pokemon have an organic role. The pokemon themselves are done really will with CG, and the plot lands too even if on the very predictable side for some plot twists (then again even if the Pokemon films don't tell you who the bad guy is right away it's pretty easy to spot anyway).

In no order-
M09- Love May and Manaphy’s story
M03- Love Entei and Molly is a great character
M12- Arceus is great
M01- Iconic
M011- Love Shaymin and the message is great. Listen to the English ending theme song.

HMs:
M06- Love Jirachi and awesome to see Max get spotlight
M08- Lucario’s story was emotional, and this is the movie where Ash got his Aura
M023- Cramorant
Add M021 to the list.

I haven't seen many, on account of my mum considering them stupid and me thus being too embarrassed to check them out from the library when I was younger, but recently I watched Lucario and the Mystery of Mew off some sketch website. Totally worth the possibility of infecting my computer with a virus.

From like the three other Pokemovies I've seen, M08 stood out because 1) Lucario felt like a real protagonist and not a device whose only purpose to further the plot, 2) He had understandable motivations and wasn't acting out of some unexplained vendetta, and 3) I didn't find Ash to be nearly as irritating as he usually is in the anime. The only critiques I really have are pertaining to minute details of the story, but they're not major ones considering the track record of plot depth in Pokemon. (Either I was too tired to comprehend it or they just didn't explain it, but how did Sir Aaron sacrificing himself to the Tree of Life stop an entire fricking war again?)

If they made a sequel/spin-off surrounding the same era or something akin to that, I'd totes watch it. Even if it contained Ash Ketchum.

Keep in mind I've only seen the first four, I Choose You, The Power of Us, Mewtwo Strikes Back evolution, and Secret of the Jungle.

Of those, Power of One is probably my favorite mostly for nostalgic reasons.

Despite me spending 20+ years working on a fanfic based on the second movie, my favorite is the third. It reminds me of a lot of the movies I grew up with, that sort of 1980s fantasy feel that's very reminiscent of movies like Neverending Story or Labyrinth or Dark Crystal.

Let's see:

Spell of the Unown
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
The Power of One
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Pokemon 4ever
Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
Jirachi Wish Maker
Destiny Deoxys
Pokemon Heroes
Giratina and the Sky Warrior
The Rise of Darkrai
Arceus and the Jewel of Life
Zoroark Master of Illusions
Pokemon the Movie Black: Victini and Reshiram
Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel

As you can see, I like the majority of the Pokemon movies, with the OS and AG movies being my favorites. The only movies I really can't stand are Kyurem vs the Sword of Justice, Genesect and the Legend Awakened, and (ugh) probably my least favorite movie of them all, Hoopa and the Clash of Ages, despite being set during the XY series. (Not even that was enough to save it in my book.) Funnily enough, when I was at Anime-Con last year in July, I met and was talking with Erica Schroeder about her roles in the Pokemon anime including the movies, and I believe she mentioned to me that she had heard that people didn't like Hoopa and the Clash of Ages.

(Oh yeah, and I'm not crazy about I Choose You or Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution either. The animation/art style in I Choose You was great, but that was about it.)

I actually haven't seen of all of the Power of Us yet, but I've heard pretty good things about it, and I really gotta sit down and watch the whole thing someday.

Last edited:
The Power of One, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Spell of the Unown, and Jirachi Wishmaker are my favorites.

Honorable mentions: Mewtwo Strikes Back because it's a classic; Heroes because the music is phenomenal; Destiny Deoxys because it's such a cute and feel-good movie even if it lacks the grandeur of the other films; and Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea because even though I feel like it dragged on a bit at times, the relationship between May and Manaphy was incredibly sweet and their goodbye scene at the end is one of my favorite scenes of all the movies.

I'm incredibly biased towards the OS and AG movies, as you can see :p

Back
Top Bottom