• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favourite female player character designs?

RK9

Reaction score
Since we already have a boy's one, I figured we might as well go with the girl ones too, especially since they seemed to be more liked in general as far as design goes.

Guess if this thread catches on like a house on fire, we could also give mentions of non-player character designs, I suppose?

So my list is as followed:

1. Hilda
  2. Serena (The ponytail. Oh gosh the ponytail has me weak.)
  3. Rosa
  4. Blue (I prefer the LGPE design, but I don't think the FRLG is bad.)
  5. May (The ORAS one in particular.)
  6. Selene (SM. I don't rate the USUM one at all.)
  7. Lyra
  8. Dawn

In order from favorite (#1) to least favorite:

1. Kris
  2. Dawn (more the Platinum design, but her D/P one is good too)
  3. Rosa
  4. May (moreso her original R/S look, but I begrudgingly consider her OR/AS one better than the Emerald version)
  5. Selene (the US/UM version; the S/M one I'd put in second-to-last place)
  6. Leaf
  7. Serena (to be honest, Leaf and Serena are about tied, same for LG P/E's Elaine if we're counting her)
  8. Lyra
  9. Hilda (I legitimately can't stand jeans IRL, and it makes me really dislike her denim shorts; her hair also kinda bothers me)

Part A: The good
  1. May (Emerald)
  2. Lyra
  3. Hilda = Rosa.
  4. Dawn (DP) = RS May
1. I do like May's RS art, but Emerald May looks more cool and mature, like an experienced trainer. Plus points for an outfit that makes sense to wear when running around Hoenn.

2. Don't ask why. I just love her design despite the fact it's not practical in any way, shape or form. I would wear the outfit in real life if it wasn't weird to wear OTKs or stockings like that.

3. Hilda seems mature, calm but confident, and Rosa seems more childish and excitable.

4. No reason. Probably nostalgia.
I like that Dawn comes across as notably calm compared to the rest.

Part B: Huh? Who?
4b. Dawn (Platinum)
  1. Serena, Selene
  2. Kris/Leaf

Part C: The Abomination
7. ORAS May
They removed the cool, sporty feel of her clothes. And her iconic hat! >:/ And she's 8 times taller now. Original May looked cute without needing bows everywhere!

4b. The coat throws me off. I think if it was dark blue like the one in XY, it would suit her better.

5. They're pretty, but feel generic or forgettable. Not much personality.
They both have the typical "nice, kind, polite girl" thing going.

6. No reason. Probably a lack of nostalgia.

Last edited:
  1. Serena/Hilda
  2. Selene (US/UM)/Kris
  3. Elaine/May (R/S)
  4. Lyra/Dawn (Platinum)
  5. Rosa

I love the older looks of Hilda and Serena, one being a more sporty tomboy and the other a more 'sophisticated' young lady. Now if only they gave Hilda shorts that didn't just look like denim shorts-cut underwear. Selene looks super adorable in US/UM and saved her from her weird look her clothes in sun and moon gave her. Seriously wtf was that hat. And I just love Kris to death. Her outfit felt near perfect for a pokemon trainer with a nice athletic gear feel. Elaine looks super cute and I could totally see her being a younger Hilda or Hilda's little sister. May looked best in her Ruby/Sapphire design. I didn't like her Emerald design's sleeveless shirt, and in ORAS they took her original design and said "how can we change this so she looks more girly cute?" I'd love Lyra's design if it weren't for the denim suspenders. I'd given her a dark blue skirt that is a little above the knees. Or even just shorts. Dawn in Platinum would be about as nice as Elaine and May if THEY WOULD GIVE HER PANTS. Seriously she looks like she's running around in a coat and undies. :| It's freaking COLD, Gamefreak.

There's nothing I like about Rosa's design. She's got pillows glued to the side of her head. She's got a weird body suit swimwear thing under her clothes. Her hat looks like a bike pad seat with a ribbon tied to hold it on her head. And what the HELL is that yellow thing she's wearing instead of pants? It's like they wanted to give her a wavy skirt but somehow tinier than the skirts they gave all the other girls but were like "Oh wait with the body suit we might see cameltoe or something better make it shorts!" And the 'shorts' look like they would give a crotch wedgie from hell.

Dawn in Platinum would be about as nice as Elaine and May if THEY WOULD GIVE HER PANTS. Seriously she looks like she's running around in a coat and undies.

Yes, this has always worried me about all incarnations of Dawn. Her skirt/dress is terrifyingly short, even for anime.

Kris and Green are the ones I have positive headcanons about, while RSE May and Elaine at least look nice. I'm indifferent to the rest.

I would have to say Leaf. I love the pale-blue color of her shirt, and how it contrasts well with her red skirt. I like the loose socks too, and her hairstyle goes well with the hat. Her hair is a nice shade of brown too, I'm not exactly sure how to call it. I really like May, Dawn, and Lyra too, but i think they're all pretty well-designed. Dressing up Serena and Selene is fun too.

1. Hilda/Serena, both have realistic but fashionable outfits that match their region's atmosphere, I'd gladly play as them.
  2. May/Dawn, anime nostalgia and overall decent outfits. I specially prefer Emerald May (black and white gloves are cool as hell) and DP Dawn (Platinum looks kinda uncomfortable).
  3. Moon. In SM she looked kinda weird, but in USUM she looks quite good.
  4. Leaf. Her "original" design is fine, is very unusual to see non-goth and non-evil characters to use black. Her FRLG design is a bit overrated and simple, the only thing that stoods out is the hat, but it's not bad and her inclusion in Smash is deserved.
  5. Elaine: Like Chase, she makes me feel nothing.
  6. Lyra/Kris: Both are bad designed on their own right. Lyra doesn't look threatening at all, and Kris doesn't look like she goes on adventures.
  7. Rosa: A bunch of good ideas thrown in with no consistency whatsoever. At least her color palette is pleasing.
? SWSH girl: Her design looks too casual and realistic, but it's not bad by any means and I prefer her to the boy. I'll wait for more information before making a judgement.

Last edited:
There's nothing I like about Rosa's design. She's got pillows glued to the side of her head. She's got a weird body suit swimwear thing under her clothes. Her hat looks like a bike pad seat with a ribbon tied to hold it on her head. And what the HELL is that yellow thing she's wearing instead of pants? It's like they wanted to give her a wavy skirt but somehow tinier than the skirts they gave all the other girls but were like "Oh wait with the body suit we might see cameltoe or something better make it shorts!" And the 'shorts' look like they would give a crotch wedgie from hell.
Pillows? That's an odongo hairstyle - the same as Sailor Moon's.

Yeah, I know. But Sailor Moon's don't look like someone glued throwpillows to the side of her head. Seriously Rosa hair probably drags behind her when she puts it down with how big those things are.

Top 5:
  1. Sword/Shield girl
  2. Serena
  3. Hilda
  4. Leaf (any version)
  5. Dawn
  6. May
  7. Selene
  8. Kris
  9. Elaine
  10. Lyra
  11. Rosa

I like May (in Generation III), Platinum Dawn and Serena the best, and I really dislike Kris' and Rosa's looks, especially the latter's hairstyle and swimsuit.

Green (FRLG) and Rosa are my favourites. Rosa reminds me of Sailor Moon met Princess Leia, it's so unpractical but I can't help but love it.

I like most of them to some degree, but Selene and Elaine's just feel kinda bland to me.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom