• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Favourite Male Player Characters?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Which are your favourite male Player Character designs throughout the series? You can also rank all of them from favourite to least favourite.

We are talking about the main series games, not the anime, manga, etc.

----------

Here is my list:

1. Ethan (HG/SS)
  2. Red (FR/LG)
  3. Hilbert
  4. Brendan (Emerald)
  5. Chase
  6. Lucas (DP)
  7. Nate
  8. Elio
  9. Calem

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I like Nate's character design the most, with DP Lucas in second.

I am really fond of Chase, currently. I think his design is great. Similar to Red, on the surface, but with a different more energetic personality.

I don't really like how big his head is in LGPE, so I much prefer the official art (see my current avatar and signature, for reference).

I feel like the male protags overal get the slightly more boring designs, but on the plus side, they get to wear stuff that's longer than mid-thigh. So you lose some, you win some, I guess...
  1. Lucas (I love that peacoat)
  2. Brendan (Emerald/ORAS Contest!!!)
  3. Red (FRLG, thought art is a little over-saturated)
  4. Hilbert (quiet vibes)
  5. Elio (both, but especially USUM)
  6. Ethan (I mean, there's nothing wrong with it)
  7. Nate (I hate that visor, sorry)
  8. Calem (Hilbert but boring)
I haven't played LGPE beyond the demo, so I don't feel like I can really judge Chase. Looking at it, his design is fine, but that's all I can say.

I hope we get some other pre-dominant colours in future games though, because now it's mostly red or blue, or both.

The male SwSh protag also looks pretty nice, though again, his outfit is dominated by the colour red.

I prefer a lot of the male designs over the female designs, so this should be fun.

1: Lucas
2: Nate
3: Hilbert
4: Gold/Ethan
5: Chase
6: Brendan
7: Red
8: Elio
9: Calem

I know they're not main series games, but I would like to appreciate Wes and Michael's designs. I feel these two are easily forgotten about and it's such a shame.

I suppose Ethan, Hilbert, and Calem are my favorites. A lot of the male trainers blend together to me. They look like the same character, including some of the ones I mentioned as my favorites. lol Red is a great design, too, but he's become so oversaturated, I'd rather him not show up again for a very long time.

Last edited:
1: Lucas
2: SwSh Male
3: Brendan
4: Nate, Elio, Red
5: Ethan, Hilbert, Calem, Chase,

(The last four are just so generic and boring looking)

1. Brendan Emerald: Nostalgia, but in Emerald he completely rocks the biker design.
  2. Ethan Original
  3. Ethan remake
  4. Brendan RS: Still good but I prefer the Emerald colors.
  5. Hilbert: His afro and his cool jacket give him a 15 year old look, which he makes good use of.
  6. Red remake
  7. Lucas DP
  8. Red original: Looks a bit on the generic side.
  9. Lucas Platinum: While I like blue I'm not a fan of giant jackets.
  10. Kalm: His hair is boring and his outfit is a repetition of his 2 predecessors. However, his apparent age of 17-18 redeems him a bit.
  11. SWSH protagonist: The hat and the bag are a bit silly, I hope those are customizable early on. His age was his redemption again.
  12. Nate: He looks like Hilbert's younger brother, but not in a good way, his hair is a literal mess.
  13. Chase: Generic as hell, I feel nothing by looking at him.
  14. Elio USUM: An improvement over the other Elio as they at least experimented with the clothes. But it's not enough, I ended up choosing the girl.
  15. Elio SM: His look is childish as hell, and is overall boring. His eyes are gigantic and intimidating in-game.

I like Calem the best, and I really don't like Lucas and Brendan.

Excluding Chase because I haven't played the Let's Go series.
Ranking from most favorite to least favorite.

1. Brendan (RSE/ORAS): I like all designs of Brendan. His contest outfit is super cool :D
  2. Nate: Adorbs. Love the movie costumes he's got.
  3. SWSH: I like his design for now because he seems a bit older.
  4. Calem: I like how we got an older protagonist. And despite the lackluster wardrobe, I did like his selection of clothes.
  5. Hilbert: Same that we got a slightly older protagonist.
  6. Ethan (GSC/HGSS): Just okay.
  7. Red (RGBY/FRLG): Aside from being the first protagonist, I don't have that much to say.
  8. Lucas: I don't remember much about him.
  9. Elio: customization. WHY

I much prefer the female character in every game, but I guess I'd say Brenden in the original Ruby and Sapphire is my favorite. I like his black and red color scheme, and when I first played Sapphire I thought he had white hair which is cool. I don't like his Emerald or ORAS designs as much, but they're okay. I guess from there I'd say Red>Ethan>Hilbert>Lucas>Chase>Nate>Elio. Elio in USUM is the only one I really dislike- the baggy shorts and tank top just look really dumb to me

Hard one, since I think the male designs are pretty good (With a couple of really low lows for certain ones.)

1. Hilbert
  2. Nate
  3. Calem
  4. Red
  5. Ethan
  6. Brendan
  7. SM Elio
  8. Lucas
  9. USUM Elio
The only ones I really dislike are USUM Elio, DP Lucas and ORAS Brendan. The design of Emerald Brendan gives the edge though. I really do like that one.

Goes to search for the female version of this thread

Last edited:
I think most of the male designs are bland and boring. Also, I prefer more mature-looking and scholarly men in terms of looks, and none of them fit the bill. But still, here are my rankings from best to worst:

Read the spoiler for extensive opinions.

1.) Calem - The coolest and most mature looking. His artwork easily makes him look 18 and older. Also, since I played as the female, I always felt kind of bad for him. He was the one who was inferior to me, always striving to become better. I related to him more than I did my character, ironically.

2.) Hilbert - Not as old-looking as Calem, but still pretty mature and cool.

3.) Ethan - I grew up with Gold and Silver, and prefer his older design. Still, I like the color variety of his new design and I have a connection to him because I was forced to play as male in that game.

4.) Red - The classic. I prefer his FireRed/LeafGreen redesign. Also, I love him in Super Smash Bros as "Pokemon Trainer." (C'mon, we all know it's you.)

5.) Nate - He's kind of cool. But his hair is a bit too outrageous for me, and I dislike the age-down from the original Black and White to BW2.

6.) Lucas - He's just kind of here because he's the middle ground. I dislike him less than the following guys, who from here on in, will be negative entirely.

7.) Brendan - Okay, so, his original design is... bleh. I dislike how his hat is confusing and looks like his hair. His ORAS design? Horrid. His sleek body suit thing is supposed to allude to the region's excessive water, but still. It just kind of creeps me out. Also didn't care for the romantic element that was added in ORAS.

8.) Chase - An inferior, more childish looking version of Red. LGPE's art style does him no favors. Also, minus points for being the main protagonist of a game where you can't evolve your starter, meaning he chooses not to. And for also having limited customization in a post-XY game.

9.) Elio - His original Sun/Moon design is bland and I dislike striped shirts. His USUM design, however? Atrocious. His artwork makes him look like this annoying child and I dislike the overly tropical look. (Even though I live in a tropical region myself.) It just looks so... touristy.

Last edited:
Half of them look the same. Only Elio, Brendan, Lucas and Nate looks different.

1. Elio USUM
  2. Brendan ORAS
  3. Lucas P
  4. Elio SM
  5. Nate
  6. Lucas DP
  7. Brendan RS

The rest are unranked.

1. Hilbert
  2. Calem
  3. HGSS Ethan = Red
  4. Elio
  5. Lucas = Brendan

1. Hilbert:
He seems quiet and even a little timid, the opposite of Hilda who looks outgoing and confident. I like that his design is simple but effective.

2. Calem
Unlike Serena, he's not forgettable. He looks stylish, like he knows how to take things in stride.

3. HGSS Ethan = Red
I like them both the same, but for different reasons. Ethan looks happy go lucky, Red is quiet and intimidating.

4. Elio
I like his laid-back appearance. The pants are suspect, though.

5. Lucas = Brendan
I don't like their hats. RS Brendan looks like a potato.

1. Hilbert
  2. Calem/Lucas(platinum)
  3. Adult Red
  4. Sun/Moon Elio
  5. Ethan/Chase
  6. Brendan
  7. Nate

I like the more normal/casual clothing on the protagonists but Hilbert looks just a bit more comfortable clothing wise than Calem. Lucas just looks fab with his beret and ascot look. I like Adult Red's eyebrows like where did those come from, son? Sun/Moon Elio looks like a trainer. US/UM Elio looks like a tourist. Ethan and Chase are neutral to me. I don't hate em but they don't wow me either. Brendan (especially in ORAS) just looks so weird with that hat to the point that despite the outrageous flashiness of his contest outfit he looks so much better cuz he doesn't have that sock hat on. I hate that full body swimsuit under Nate's clothes. I hate that his hairstyle and hat combo looks like those tacky ass fake hair visor hats. Those look so trashy.. boy looks like he's never heard of a hair brush or a comb or anything.

1. Wes
  2. Hilbert
  3. Gold/Ethan
  4. Calem
  5. Lucas (Platinum design)
  6. Red (all)
Adult Red is cool but he doesn't count IMO.

I hate all the others :p

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom