• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favourite unevolved Pokémon

Reaction score
Over in the controversial opinions thread, @Type Moon made a great point about unevolved Pokémon:

There is nothing wrong with unevolved Pokemon. There is nothing wrong with not wanting cute Pokémon to evolve. It doesn’t mean they’re weak. The anime formula is way different than the games, so relax and let people embrace their love for cute Pokémon.

So I thought it would be nice to make a thread where we can show our appreciation for unevolved Pokémon. Which are your favourites? Have you ever tried making them part of your team in a game, and if so, how did it pan out? I'd love to hear your stories.

These are all Pokémon that I like just as much, or more than, their evolved forms:

Bulbasaur and Ivysaur
Caterpie and Metapod
Pichu and Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Oddish
Abra
Galarian Ponyta
Rhydon
Porygon
Mudkip
Hoennian and Galarian Zigzagoon
Turtwig
Snivy
Oshawott
Munna
Minccino
Flabébé
Helioptile
Rowlet
Hakamo-o
Corvisquire

In most cases I like the evolved forms too, so I still end up evolving them. But in my first White 2 playthrough I never evolved Snivy or Minccino (the special one with Skill Link from the Hidden Grotto), and I had so much fun with them, although admittedly it was their four teammates (Swanna, Electivire, Krookodile and Keldeo) that did most of the heavy lifting towards the end of the game. I later transferred Snivy and Minccino to Y and trained them both up to level 100, still without evolving them.

There's probably a bunch more, but the only ones immediately springing to mind are...

Venonat - No beef with Venomoth, but I don't feel it fits and would've much preferred Butterfree lol.
Litten - I despise the wrestling theme they gave Incineroar and never evolved my own Litten. (Side note "Dark Type because Heel" always felt like a cheap cop out to avoid yet another Fire/Fighting type whilst still having a fighting theme.)
Dratini & Dragonair - Dragonite just looks too derpy, I'm sorry.
Scyther - Scizor just looks too goofy and not really bug-like anymore. Durant pulls off the Bug/Steel duality perfectly.
Togepi - It's evolutions are hella ugly.
Skitty - Not gonna lie, Delcatty looks low key kinda terrifying.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread!

I have many that I like more than their evolved forms, mainly because I find them cuter and suits my style more, such as the below:

Gen 1: Clefairy, Vulpix, Nidoran Female, Dragonair, Venonat

Gen 2: Chikorita, Teddiursa, Flaaffy, Marill, Misdreavus, Phanpy

Gen 3: Mudkip, Torchic, Skitty, Spheal

Gen4: Piplup, Buneary

Gen 5: Munna, Deerling.

Gen 6: Fennekin, Spritizee

Gen 7: Stufful

Gen 8: Galarian Ponyta, Wooloo

I usually end up evolving them in the games to get me through beating the game easier, but I left them unevolved in Let’s Go Eevee since that game is easier.

Last edited:
This opinion is nowhere near as rare or controversial as you and TypeMoon think.

Mine would be Eevee but other than that (since it's a super popular Pokemon) it's Cutiefly.

Ugh, so many. But my top few that are in my top 10 Pokémon list are Mareep, Poipole, and Wartortle! These three are so cute & cool and are v important to me.

This opinion is nowhere near as rare or controversial as you and TypeMoon think.
This is a bit harsher than I would have put it, but yeah, liking unevolved Pokemon isn't what I'd call a controversial opinion. See: the popularity of Bulbasaur, Sobble, and Eevee, or even Chansey and Galarian Corsola in competitive. Anyways...

nidorina.gif

Nidorina is my favorite unevolved Pokemon as well as favorite Poison type, and among my favorite Kanto Pokemon. I've always sort of liked Nidorina, but I think I really grew to appreciate it when I used one named Thistle in Let's Go Eevee, though I did eventually evolve her. The other pre-evolved members of the Nido lines are also prevolutions that I really like as well.

Other prevolved Pokemon that I like includes Bergmite, Salandit, Zigzagoon, and Lotad.

Last edited:
Quite a lot of my favorite Pokemon are unevolved, I like that style better. I always evolve them when they are a part of my team though, except for Phanpy in Emerald, as watching the Pokemon become powerhouses is also a great experience. My Top 5 is composed of Marshtomp, Phanpy, Munchlax, Teddiursa and Rowlet, and I also love Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Magnemite, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Hoothoot, Chinchou, Pineco, Porygon2, Mudkip, Lotad, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Wailmer, Anorith, Turtwig, Grotle, Combee, Pignite, Roggenrola, Palpitoad, Venipede, Tirtouga, Solosis, Duosion, Elgyem, Golett, Froakie, Floette, Clauncher, Goomy, Zygarde Core (it counts?), Charjabug, Wimpod, Sobble, Chewtle, Cufant, and Snom.

I have a number of Pokemon that I love unevolved - Cubone, (Alolan) Vulpix and Ponyta come to mind immediately, although their evolutions are fine, too. Ones that I much prefer unevolved over their evolved forms are Fletchling, Litwick, Phantump, and Fenneckin.

Like PinkIceFox mentioned above, Snubbull is also one of my favorite unevolved Pokemon. Of course I like dog breeds like bulldogs, french bulldogs, pugs, pitbulls, etc. so Snubbull (and it's evo) certainly appeal to me.

Other unevolved 'mons I like are Bulbasaur, Fennekin, Popplio, Torchic, Snivy, Oshawott, Piplup, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Scorbunny, Sobble, Eevee, Lillipup, Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Snom, Buneary, Glameow, Vulpix (Kanto and Alola), Ponyta (Kanto and Galar), Growlithe, Houndour, Patrat and quite a few more. (I also quite like their evos too of course)

for me, the main ones that come to mind:

Zorua!! its cute and adorable... but Zoroark loses the cuteness that little fox has, Zoroark doesn't resemble a fox at all

Dragonair - cute and adorable looking, but Dragonite looks so out of place and ugly as well and also @Timaeus mentione above

In my current LeafGreen playthrough I just postponed my Ivysaur's evolution because overall I think that we spend (going by evolution levels) very little time with the earlier stages of starters. From these, my favorites are Bulba and Ivysaur, Chikorita and Bayleef, Treecko and Grovyle, Turtwig and Grotle.

Aside from those, I just love Koffing's smile more than Weezing. Meowth is also a cutie in comparison to Persian.

While not being my favorite, Cacnea is the only Pkmn that from some years ago I can't evolve into Cacturne because I love Cacnea's happy look and type instead of Cacturne's.

I can evolve Haunter but I love it much moooooore than Gengar because of its prankster nature with levitating and separated hands, red aura in some sprites and the tongue and smile.

Last but not least, I think that baby Pkmn are just more cute and lovely then their evolutions. Budew is my favorite.

Torchic is my top favorite unevolved Mon for sure. It looks so huggable and it's probably so warm and fluffy. Plus, I'm a bird lover/owner (I own a kooky cockatiel named Zeru, who is my little buddy), so I naturally like birds a lot. Torchic is just super adorable to me. I like its whole line to be honest (though Combusken does suffer from middle stage syndrome to a decent degree, but at least it looks a bit more natural in that regard), but Torchic is such a cutie that I'd love to have one as a pet and just leave it that way (though I wouldn't mind a Blaziken, either, as it's my favorite final form starter). But, yeah, Torchic is just such a lovable ball of fluff that I can't help but adore.

Porygon2 is the homie.

I also prefer Rhydon over Rhyperior. Then there's also stuff like Scyther (Even though I don't necessarily prefer it over Scizor and vice versa.), Magmar and Electabuzz are pretty cool too. I quite dig Doublade as well.

If it's purely evolutions that I prefer/think are better than the fully-evolved version, it's Porygon2, Rhydon and Torracat (Incineroar's design is just as if someone gave up halfway in).

Although I never disliked Typhlosion, I absolutely love Quilava's sleek design and mohawk.
Braxien - it is sleek and elegant, Delphox is just disappointing.
Torracat - same as Braixen.
Rhydon - Rhyperior is just overdesigned and has a bad colour scheme.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom