• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first M-rated game

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakisrage

SAEV DEH WHALEZ!
Reaction score
How old were you when you played your first M-rated game (or equivalent rating)? What game was it?

I first played one when I was 12. The game was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - it belonged to one of my cousins. The violence scared me a bit, but I did get a kick out of the profanity. My parents were annoyed at my cousin for letting me play the game. I definitely wasn't used to it, since I wasn't allowed to play M-rated games until I was 18.

A Call of Duty game when I was 14. I just laughed at the fact that it wasn't nearly as gory as everyone made it out to be.

I believe I was... 17? 18? Just about the right age either way. My first M Rated game was Resident Evil 2. It was my first (true) horror game I had played too, so it was quite an experience.

How old were you when you played your first M-rated game (or equivalent rating)? What game was it?

I first played one when I was 12. The game was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - it belonged to one of my cousins. The violence scared me a bit, but I did get a kick out of the profanity. My parents were annoyed at my cousin for letting me play the game. I definitely wasn't used to it, since I wasn't allowed to play M-rated games until I was 18.
Exactly the same experience except I didn't mind the violence. I would say bad fur day was something I played at the same time as well. Don't remember which one was first tbh.

Mortal Kombat when I was like 7 years old. The first one we bought was Perfect Dark on the N64.

My mom learned the hard way what the ESRB ratings meant when she brought home a copy of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter when I was like maybe 7 or 8. She bought it because it had a picture of a dinosaur, and I loved dinosaurs, but then she reeled back in horror as she saw that you were meant to pick up a gun and shoot the dinosaurs. She took it back immediately and paid attention to the ESRB ratings from that point forward.

First M-rated game I ever bought with my own money, I think was Metal Gear Solid 3D when I was 18.

I'm pretty sure it was the first Age of Empires game when I was... 6 I think? I have no clue how old I was, but you get the idea.

A game called War Gods for the N64. I was 10. My parents had rented it thinking it was your average fighting game for me and my brother to play. They returned it the same day since when we played the game, the roster was full of... colorful characters, if you know what I mean. I didn't really care too much of what I saw so I wasn't too upset by their decision to return it. After that, my parents paid attention to the ESRB rating when renting games.

I recall a demo for "Quake" that my dad downloaded from AOL (yeah, that old-as-dirt online service that used phone lines in the '90s). Scared the crap out of me as I didn't like the idea of monsters running up to my face. He wasn't too happy when he found out I played it.

I was like 7 at the time, okay?

I don't... know...? Nobody in my family, including me, ever paid any attention to those ratings for anything. Wikipedia is not helping either, so I don't know but I guess maybe Mortal Kombat II was rated M (going off of what mastercrazyhand said, anyway)? We moved to El Salvador when I was 8 and that's when I got my first SNES, along with Street Fighter II and MK II, so I guess I was 8? Dad and I used to play the original MK and MK II at the arcade together when we'd come here to Miami for vacations too so he obviously didn't care either. I think that Turok game that Jack mentioned earlier was also one of the games we played together at the arcade. I know it was some shooting dinosaurs game. They also got me Resident Evil 2 when I was like 12 or something (which I'm also assuming was M since Scarlet Sky mentioned it).

I guess the first one I ever bought myself was RE4? Again, I don't pay attention to this stuff so I honestly don't know.

I think it's got to be House of Dead 2 from the arcade, I think I was around 10 when I first played it. Can't remember exactly.

I think it was Devil May Cry 4, though I also got a collection of the first three games too around the same time. I was in high school then, maybe 9th grade? It was my first M-rated game mainly because not many had appealed to me before that. And boy did I love it, DMC 3 and 4 in particular are some of my favorite video games.

To this day I still haven't really played an M-rated game. Even watching people playing those games makes me feel sick. Like literally physically sick.

I guess technically it would be either Wolfenstein 3-D or Doom, depending on exactly which one I started playing first. I believe it was the former.

I believe it must've been in 1995 or '96 when my grandpa introduced me to those games (seriously). And it sure didn't make my parents feel comfortable for me at my young age to be playing such violent games.

I believe I was... 17? 18? Just about the right age either way. My first M Rated game was Resident Evil 2. It was my first (true) horror game I had played too, so it was quite an experience.
That was my first M-rated as well! Though I didn't play it until the N64 port. I was just a kid at the time, probably around age 8 or 9, if memory serves me correctly.

I remember the game being so puzzle-laden that I had a hard time figuring some of it out. I preferred to have my dad play and watch him, since he always seemed to make more progress. Looking back now (some 15+ years later), and realizing how utterly horrible my dad is/was at video games, I have no idea how I managed to be even worse. :p In any case, I have a lot of fond memories of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom