• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first M-rated game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was 10 when I played Left 4 Dead. The zombies didn't scare me even a bit, and my parents for some reason didn't care about me playing.

When I was about seven years old, one of my cousins on my father's side of the family rented Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I played a bit, too, and got a kick out of some of the weirder stuff like the "Flying Car cheat, and the "changing the phase of the moon wi"th a sniper rifle" easter egg.

I forgot, but it was one of these:

PC: Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2
Sega Genesis: Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
N64: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

I remember playing GTA Vice City many years back but the violence is mostly in the actions themselves than the graphics which are incredibly tame. San andreas would be a better example with all the swearing. I thought it was the funniest game ever made. Since I watched Robocop and Fist of the North Star before I was even 10 no one bat an eye to this.

First M-rated game I played was Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64. I believe I was 14 at the time? I don't really remember.

My first M game was Assassin's Creed III.

GTA Vice City. But I didn't find it to be a 18+ game. And my parents are too indifferent to look into what I was playing

I never really used to play video games (unless it was Mario Party or SSB: Melee) so much as watch others play them. So I did see quite a few M games as a kid, but that stuff didn't really bother me. My favourite movie as a four-year-old was Slave to the Cannibal God, for crying out loud. I used to like watching the cannibals get killed because I hated them, so a Darknut exploding in a puff of smoke was hardly going to give me nightmares.

But yeah, the first M game I was exposed to would have been GTA: San Andreas. I remember afros and bikes and giving flowers... but I just used to watch, really. Otherwise, it was LoZ: Twilight Princess. Actually, this game did scare me a bit as a kid. I was so scared of the Moblins (when I was allowed to play) that I'd make someone else kill all of them in Hyrule Field, so that I could just ride around and not be inhibited. And the Twilight Zone was terrifying, and the Twilight Temple and... yeah.
But then I finally grew up, bit the bullet and set out to kill some Moblins. I slaughtered them all and found that I liked it. That was the start of me facing my fears, but I still haven't gone into the Twilight Realm. I don't handle being chased well - in real life or video games. I'm of the predisposition to curl up in a ball and die.

So yeah, San Andreas and Twilight Princess. From then on it was stuff like GTA4 and Final Fantasy 13.

I haven't touched an M-rated game in my life, mostly because I don't get into blood, horror, swearing or sleazy themes. In fact I hate those themes with a passion that burns as hot as Incineroar's navel. (That didn't sound right.)

I did want to pick up Dual Destinies, which is the first and only M-rated Ace Attorney game, but only because it was an accident. The game is rated T in Japan, and the following sequel was again rated T.

I never really used to play video games (unless it was Mario Party or SSB: Melee) so much as watch others play them. So I did see quite a few M games as a kid, but that stuff didn't really bother me. My favourite movie as a four-year-old was Slave to the Cannibal God, for crying out loud. I used to like watching the cannibals get killed because I hated them, so a Darknut exploding in a puff of smoke was hardly going to give me nightmares.

But yeah, the first M game I was exposed to would have been GTA: San Andreas. I remember afros and bikes and giving flowers... but I just used to watch, really. Otherwise, it was LoZ: Twilight Princess. Actually, this game did scare me a bit as a kid. I was so scared of the Moblins (when I was allowed to play) that I'd make someone else kill all of them in Hyrule Field, so that I could just ride around and not be inhibited. And the Twilight Zone was terrifying, and the Twilight Temple and... yeah.
But then I finally grew up, bit the bullet and set out to kill some Moblins. I slaughtered them all and found that I liked it. That was the start of me facing my fears, but I still haven't gone into the Twilight Realm. I don't handle being chased well - in real life or video games. I'm of the predisposition to curl up in a ball and die.

So yeah, San Andreas and Twilight Princess. From then on it was stuff like GTA4 and Final Fantasy 13.

Interesting that you say Twilight Princess and FFXIII are M, because in America the ESRB rates them as Teen. Wonders never cease!

Interesting that you say Twilight Princess and FFXIII are M, because in America the ESRB rates them as Teen. Wonders never cease!

I'm "guessing" he's talking about the Australian Classification Board's M rating, which is for individuals 15 and older, and is relatively similar to our Teen rating. I think the AU equivallent to our M is the MA 15+ because it's legally restricted and requires that you be at least 15 to purchase, like how our M rating requires you to be at least 17 to buy it.

I'm "guessing" he's talking about the Australian Classification Board's M rating, which is for individuals 15 and older, and is relatively similar to our Teen rating. I think the AU equivallent to our M is the MA 15+ because it's legally restricted and requires that you be at least 15 to purchase, like how our M rating requires you to be at least 17 to buy it.

Woo, they start early in Australia! but they do that here anyway

The first M rated game I played was Borderlands 2. It wasn't the first one I owned though, that spot goes to Fallout 4. I played Borderlands when I was about 10 or so, at my father's house. He was a lot more lax about games I got to play, he only disliked ones with overly sexual themes and I frankly agree with his philosophy about video games. Basically he says "You'll do what you want in the end, regardless of what I say." So he'd more so guide my choices than force them.

I got Fallout 4 like, 6 months after release I think? I was 16 at the time. My mother is a very controlling person and I had to be a bit deceitful in asking permission to buy it (not asking and just getting it would have had severe consequences for me).

I may have been a bit off topic there, but those were my first M rated games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom