• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first RPG game(s)

My other "first RPG" would be Sierra's classic Quest for Glory 1. I'm not sure whether this or NES Final Fantasy came first for me, but it was a Sierra adventure game with added RPG elements (day-night cycle, wandering monster encounters and battles). The VGA remake, specifically.

If we're not counting Pokemon, then Final Fantasy. I believe it was VII, although I'm not 100% certain.

Nope. If any of the installments of Pokémon was your first, it's within the topic to say it is.

In my case it was rather little known polish game called "Polanie II" (released worldwide as "Knight Shift"). It was generally a rather simple RTS where you had to build buildings, train soldiers and destroy enemy's base, but it also had an RPG mode, where you'd take control over one soldier and do simple quests randomly chosen from a small pool.

My first TRUE RPG was... Dungeon Siege II, I think? Though many years later I'm still yet to finish even the first act of that game.

pokemon, probably? i'd say the one i really got into was golden sun, i have an inordinate amount of fondness for those games (even the third one) though looking back, they're honestly not very good.

i have a lot of fond memories of ff9 too, since i watched my cousins play it, but i didn't start playing it until pretty recently. i'm really glad it holds up though!

Pokemon RPG: Red. Non-Pokemon RPG: Breath of Fire 1 (GBA version, as I lacked the original version's console). The latter of which really opened me up to RPGs, as I didn't care much for them at first (and, at the time, I never put 2 + 2 together and realize Pokemon is also an RPG, at least until Yellow, where the light bulb finally went off). Exposure issues also muddled my ability to play many games, as I lived in quite areas where the closest thing we had to a "game store" was FYE (a Gamestop would finally open up somewhat nearby... when I was 19... and I first started gaming around the GameBoy/PS1 early days, so that was a long wait).

hard to say really. my first pokemon was actually well into my JRPG career with firered, and then I got diamond 2 years later, but I never beat firered until I beat other games like gold, crystal, colosseum, XD, ranger, and so on and so forth (I just had an issue with blue, even with a level 100 blastoise and a level 75 dodrio I had issues with him, still do)

but my first non pokemon? hoo boy that's something I can't pinpoint. I want to say it was zelda 2 (my grandma had an NES so I played the original release), but that wasn't so much me playing as so much as me getting scared at the first encounter, same for dragon quest 1 (which again, grandma NES, but also my cousins GBC, as he had the version with DQ1 and DQ2) so I'll say the first game I ACTUALLY got past the first encounter in that wasn't pokemon was mario and luigi superstar saga.

My first RPG was Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

I did see an older relative of mine playing a Final Fantasy game before I got into RPG games, but that's about it.

Final Fantasy "II" (IV), though only a tiny bit. The first one I played extensively was probably Earthbound, though there were some strategy/RPG hybrids I played earlier if you want to count them (Ogre Battle on the SNES, possibly Celtic Tales for DOS--I can't recall if I played it before Earthbound or not, I was young).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom