• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first shiny. How? when? where?

I caught a random wailmer and trained it, evolved it, etc. My brother saw it and was all OMG ITS SHINY! I'm colorblind, lol.

I FINALLY GOT ONE!!!

A shiny Zubat in Platinum. Kinda anticlimatic, but hey - it was my first after probably 2000 hours of Pokemon over the last 12 years.

A shiny Machop in SoulSilver. I was just wondering through a cave when I ran into one at lv 12. All of my pokemon were a a mich hgher level so I just threw a Ultra Ball at it and it worked first try =D

If I remember correctly, it was a shiny Bellsprout on Sinnoh-229 in Pearl. I was training my Groudon there and it popped up. I just threw a Quick Ball. I already had tons of shinies from the GTS, but this was the first one I caught.

My brother told me of a time he had restarted his Platinum game and was going from Twinleaf to Sandgem. He saw a shiny Starly, but did not have any Poké Balls at the time. He was pretty angry for a while after that.

I found a shiny Zubat many years ago, but never caught it.
Who in the hell wants a Zubat? ¬¬

The first and only shiny encounter I've had so far was in the Desert while playing emerald.

I was just running through on the way back to...somewhere, I can't really remember, but I got a random encounter with a shiny Baltoy. When I saw it I thought "Well, not too bad, don't really like them much, but it's still ni--"

And then it self-destructed. FUUUUUU-

Shiny Bellsprout. Found while randomly walking around in some tall grass to try and train some more. Caught it with an Ultra Ball.

Mine was a Rattata in LeafGreen... while being a shiny was cool, being a Rattata was not. I erased it eventually.

My only other shiny was a Diglett in Silver version. It was literally after I was done with the main game bar a few events, but I was still thrilled! He got erased too, but I still remember him fondly :)

An Oddish in Gold was my first "found in the wild shiny". Sadly my Gold Version suffered from that battery problem. I found a Tentacool in Ruby that was shiny and named it Crystal for no reason. I still have it, cloned it in Emerald so I could keep it in the 3rd gen.

I have yet to see a wild shiny in the 4th gen. Terrible. I have a few I traded for however.

Besides Gyarados in crystal it was a shiny quagsire in pokemon diamond i caught it in the great marsh

My first shiny was an Arcanine from Colloseum. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost it somewhere, and my golden Graveler does not make up for it.

I was in the safari zone of a leafgreen game and the first pokemon I saw was a rhyhorn, and I caught it in one pokeball!! I have no idea where the cartridge went though...

Other than the obvious shiny Gyarados in Gold, Crystal, and HeartGold:

Generation 2:
  • On 10 April 2006, I found a shiny Bellsprout in Route 24 in Crystal.

Generation 3:
  • Circa 2003, I found a shiny Zubat in Shoal Cave in Ruby. I believe it eventually evolved into a Crobat.
  • I caught a shiny Doduo in FireRed. I believe it eventually evolved into a Dodrio. I no longer have this one (see below).
  • On 3 May 2005, the day I got Emerald, I caught a shiny Poochyena at the beginning in Route 101. It eventually evolved into Mightyena. I no longer have this one. In early 2007, someone else stole my copy of Pokémon Emerald, tried to see how far he could go without saving, and accidentally saved over my save file. My Mewtwo, Venusaur, and the aforementioned Doduo/Dodrio, all from FireRed, my original Swampert from Ruby, and this Mightyena, were among the Pokémon lost. (I did get it back, though)
  • More recently, in 2010, I caught a shiny Spheal in Shoal Cave in Emerald.

Last edited:
Right, It all started way back when I was 12.

Playing Pokemon Sapphire.

I was strolling through the grass when BOOM! a wild "Shiny" Tailow Appeared I was like OMG! what is this have I glitch-ed the game so after that occurance I looked online to see if anything like this had happened to anyone else then to my surprise I wasn't very special at all :( lots of people had videos on YouTube encountering shiny Pokemon :(

And that my friend is a true tale of a 12 year old trainer from the United Kingdom :D Haha!

Red Garydos

Nothing. I mightve ran into one a long time ago, but I didn't know what a shinie was wheni had ruby...

The first Shiny I ever caught was a Female Machop in Gold. I was training before going up against Whitney, and I saw it sprakle. I was so excited x3
My second Shiny was in my first playthough of HeartGold. It was a Shiny Tauros, I found it in Route 48 just south of the Safari Zone Gate. That place must be lucky for me, as yesterday during my second playthough of HeartGold I found a Shiny Growlithe. And today I found a Shiny Flaaffy on Route 43. I was suprised I'd found 2 Shiny Pokemon within two days of each other xD

ME TOO!
Shiny Tauros!
Route 48, south of the Safari Zone!
But, I think mine was level 38 instead.

and then... you got a wild michael jackson shiny?

just kidding ;-)

I still on my way to got my first shiny (except red gyrados that do not count here)... but I thought that I first got a female hippopotas because of the gender colour stuff...

Again, me too!
I thought the female sprites of them were shiny at first too.
This happened in the SS Safari Zone.

My first was uhh, Exeggcute. I found it at the Safari Zone in FireRed.
I was jumping with joy once I caught it. Thank Arceus it didn't fled :D

Mine was a Gastly in FireRed. I caught it in the pokemon tower. it took me almost all my pokeballs cuz i had to get it at mosstly full health. (since i only had one high leveled pokemon that would have fainted it and a bunch of useless HMslaves to weaken it)
though that's not counting the red Gyarados in gen II/IV.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom