• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

Your first shiny. How? when? where?

Rithirh

Reaction score
I finally caught my first shiny Pokemon today. I was fishing in Celestic Town (Platinum) because I needed a Corphish for False Swipe, and BAM! first Corphish I hooked was a shiny. Suffice to say, today was a good day.

Lord Kyuubi

Fantastic Fairy Fox
Reaction score
My first was the Red Gyarados on soulsilver. And then the shiny gible as the reward for completing the black tower on black 2. And then, while EV training a skarmory, I found and caught a shiny grimer! My first random shiny.... and it was a grimer... I think I named her 'Jellyblob'.

Gardelade

Shiny Hunter!
Reaction score
I have tons of Shinies.

But my first was from a longggg time ago, it was the night before I got White 2, ironically. I was trying to chain using the Pokeradar, (I didn't know how to properly chain at the time) and I went into the patch above me by accident, and I ecountered a Shiny Kricketot! I love him dearly, and still have him to this day!

Treacle

Started with Bulbasaur
Reaction score
An Oddish in the Safari Zone in Ruby. My jaw literally dropped. Unfortunately I don't have that save anymore :(.

Ravioko

Easily wears comfy shorts
Reaction score
Well, clearly the Gyrardos in G/S/C/HG/SS doesn't count, soooo~
My first shiny was one of my favorite Pokemon, Misdreavus :200:. I've known about shiny Pokemon for awhile, but I'd never actually ENCOUNTERED one (although someone DID give me a shiny Chikorita once, only for me to stupidly give it back once it was a Meganium)
However, just this past Saturday I got a Misdreavus from my girlfriend, put it into the daycare after with a Japanese Ditto, and after only 61 eggs, my shiny Misdreavus hatched. AND I was able to get the reaction on video and onto the internet. It was a good night c:
(Although I DO wish I could tell you all some awesome story of finding one as a kid and thinking it was a glitch X3)

Chip427

Reaction score
Aside from Red Gyarados, I once ran into a shiny Caterpie during a bug catching contest and I caught a shiny Vulpix in LeafGreen.

ilovemypikachu

Reaction score
I was like 9 years old and I was playing Pokemon Ruby. I was surfing in the route above Rustboro City and found a shiny Tentacool. I thought it looked really weird and that something was wrong with it, but I caught it anyway. I boxed it and kept wondering why it was colored so weird, but I kept it anyway. And then I saved over that file because I didn't know that Tentacool was a special shiny :( I also ran away from a shiny Taillow in Ruby because I wanted to get out of the Petalburg Woods and I still didn't know that they were special....

Reaction score
Just a Sunkern in tall grass. Forgot where in Gold though. Probably about 12 years ago.

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
Re: Your first Shining Pokemon.

In my Crystal Version, I was walking by the Day-Care, and then I found a Shining Ditto, and I didn't even realize it. I ran away from it, because I thought it was a glitch in the game. But obviously, my first Shiny was the Silver Version's Red Gyarados.

Amoebo

Popplio Defense Squad
Reaction score

shiny ghastly and mincinno in 2 different games, 2 days from each other, then on the same day in white found a shiny klink.

Neo Blaze

Majestic
Reaction score
Oddish in the Safari Zone in Ruby. Not the best place to encounter a Shiny ;_; It now resides as a Vileplume in my Black 2.

An Oddish in the Safari Zone in Ruby. My jaw literally dropped. Unfortunately I don't have that save anymore :(.
EDIT: No way! So you had the same thing. Sad you don't own it anymore :-(

Demon Fang

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
My only shiny Pokémon is Garchomp, which I got as Gible, for conquering the Black Tower. However, I am disappointed, because it's very hard to tell that it's shiny.

Achantion

Reaction score
My first was a shiny Dunsparce back in Pokémon Silver, back in the days. I encountered in the very first cave you find in the game (the one where you need flash).

Took until the release of black to find my second. I have a feeling black and white have a higher rate for shinies as I encountered 3 so far (Darumaka, Litwick and Woobat).

claymation

Reaction score
My first shiny was a Vulpix in LeafGreen.
I remember I wanted to avoid other trainers by going through that area where you use cut between Lavender Town and Celadon City.

Jyros22

Pokemaniac
Reaction score

My first shiny was a shiny ponyta in diamond version. I was like, "WHOOAAA!!!! THAT PONYTA IS BLUE!! AND... AND... STARS!!!" I was so excited, and I had no idea what it was, but I wanted it. I got it, of course, and now I have shiny Rapidash, Graveler, and Shiftry.

Fairy Ice Ricky

Move along, move along
Reaction score
My first shiny was a Cleffa from Pokémon Crystal that hatched from that Odd Egg from the Day-Care.

I remember being so confused after that egg hatched, because something inside me just knew it was the baby form of Clefairy (I didn't have a computer/Internet at home to verify this at the time, but the design & name were obvious giveaways)--but those green ears just THREW ME OFF for some reason, so for a while I doubted it was Clefairy's pre-evolution. Once I saw the Red Gyarados at the Lake, though, I decided to stop doubting myself. :p

LinkSeasonMaster

Reaction score
The first time I ever ran into a shiny, it was a Krabby I found smashing rocks on the beach near Olivine in Silver Version. I didn't even know until that shinies other than the Red Gyarados could be found in the games. But alas, I looked into my bag, only to find I was out of Poke Balls. Talk about horrible timing.

Ceiwen

Reaction score
First Shiny I saw was a Girafarig... and I killed it. I really tried to catch it... stupid critical hits...