• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first shiny. How? when? where?

my first shiny was in gold i was searching for a pikachu to use on my team in the forest place when i found one it came out with stars and looking strange i knew i should catch it no matter what so i did didnt find out what i had until diamond and pearl when i saw an article on shiny pokemon too bad i lost that gold version somewhere in texas i think

Since Unova is a new region in a far and different location, I might as well start from scratch.

Just two days ago, in Victory Road, I encountered my first Shiny in a new area! I must say, I'm pretty glad. It was a wild Boldore, Level 41 with a Hardy nature, and I caught it on my first Ultra Ball. It's very dynamic, and I consider it lucky as I was just about to use a Max Repel.

It's currently a happy and healthy Level 63 Gigalith.

UPDATE: 3/19/11
Caught: March 16, 2011
Where: Unova Victory Road
How: I accidentally forgot to lay a Max Repel, and as I was walking, I encountered Boldore.

Last edited:
Pkmn Silver. Like the noob I was, I was in Mt. Silver trying to fish for Marill (had no idea they showed up in those swarms, didn't even know what a swarm was!).
Lo and behold, after a good half-hour of hopeless fishing with the Super Rod, I land a... sparkling Goldeen. Of course, I catch it, carry it in my team for a bit, totally amazed, not entirely sure WHAT it was, only it glimmered like the red Gyarados. I reluctantly evolve it, thinking it will lose its shiny status... Nope. A different-colored Seaking to show off.

I can still see the area in my head clearly, where I was at when I first encountered the thing. Quite a shock. Of course, it wouldn't be till after I started a new save that I would find more shinies.

...Oh, and my bro found his first shiny in a Pidgey at the very start of his Johto adventure. No Pokeballs, nothin'. Go figure, haha.

Generation 5. Unova route 14. 3-19-11.

I was training my pokemon by running around in the dark grass, when I found a shiny tropius. Threw a quick ball, which quikly failed. Now I started to panic. There was only one pokemon in my party which could safely attack it without ko'ing it, and I was afraid that it would score a critical hit or be k.O.'d (I had no revives) I used dragon pulse, got its hp into the yellow and caught it in an ultra ball. YAAAAAAAAAAY!

Gen 2, Silver. Gyarados :U
But in more serious matters, Gen 4, Platinum. I was searching for a Ralts that was not terrible and found a shiny Bibarel. I killed it, since shiny dung is still dung.
While I was messing around in the Trophy Garden that same Plat, I found a shiny Roselia. Caught it, neutral nature, turned it into a subseeder.

My first shiny was a Wailmer I got in Mossdeep city in ruby version. I decided to hunt for it when I heard a rumor that shiny wailmer where easily encounter in that city apparantly they are. I loved that Wailmer unfortunately I lost the game with my beloved wailmer (Wailord at that time).

First Shiny in Unova: Claydol, LV 48

How: Random Encounter
When: Mar 19, 2011 at 8:00-9:00 P.M.
Where: Relic Castle, Room before Volcarona

Extra information: First Claydol I've seen, as well as my first Shiny in Unova(not counting the Crown Beasts)

Jolly nature
3/20/2011
route 10
met at lv. 34
likes to run

dex no. 013
name herdier
ot ****
id no. 04023

nick name sheila

i was litterly training!
thank a-tuin for fulse swipe!

My first shiny was a lvl 4 spearow in Gold version, found it at the bottom of route 46, but I personally hate spearow so I traded it away for a Mewtwo :-D

I actually saw two shinnies in my SoulSilver game. The first was a sentret and I don't recall the second one, but my boyfriend was mad at me for not catching them. However, I'm not really a collector, so I don't carry pokeballs.

My first shiny was a Sewaddle which I caught in Pinwheel Forest in Black. I trained it to evolve to a Levanny before battling Burgh. This is not including the event shiny pokemon which are the Pikachu coloured Pichu, the shiny Eevee and the shiny legendary beasts which I have.

Last edited:
The first shiny I saw was on my friend's silver game. We were kids and neither of us knew what it was, and when I saw a strange-coloured swinub I thought it was a bug and grabbed his gameboy and turned it off xD
He wasn't too angry because he didn't know what it was either, but when we found out later he was a bit :D

The first one I ever caught (and have seen to date!) was a shiny nidorina in silver. Being the super-nerd I am, I spent my master ball on it once I ran through a decent majority of my other balls (I only had dratini's on me at the time, so, no status effects, and I wasn't going to risk it!)

It was worth it though, getting a green Nidoqueen. Shame I had already beat the elite 4 and most of Kanto's gyms by then, haha...

My first was just last week, in Black.
My luck finally came, was IV breeding, and suddenly, a random shiny Munna hatched! xD

I was training my Carnivine on Route 48 in SoulSilver and BING! A wild shiny Farfetch'd appeared!
...I wasted ten Ultra Balls before I caught the thing. :/

I may have encountered one in Gold, but I can't recall what it was. The earliest shiny I can remember was a geodude (nickname: Goldude) on a LeafGreen ROM. But my earliest legitimate one was a Kakuna on SoulSilver, which I traded to someone on this very forum.

EDIT: According to my private messages, it was Bttsstewart.

Last edited:
Oh dear goodness, my first shiny: Magnemite. I caught it in Pokemon Ruby but I don't remember what years. (I believe 2003) I was walking out of New Mauville when I ran into it. Me being young and not so knowledgeable about shinies, I just thought it was special because it has a star and was gold. I did catch it because it was cool. Couple years later (2010) I ran into a shiny Smoochum. It was my first time walking into the Snowpoint Temple and that was the first pokemon I encountered there. It was such a surprise to me. Luckily I had the volume up on the DS or I would have never known it was shiny. My third shiny happened that same year in Trophy Garden. It was a random shiny Roselia. That got me extra excited because I love Roselia. I've tried to catch a shiny using the PokeRadar but my chain always breaks and I never find anything. Oh well.

I ran into a wild shiny Seel in Fire Red as my first. That game also got me a shiny Zubat.

I caught my first (and only) shiny about a year ago in Silver. I was wandering around in a cave and suddenly I encountered a shiny Onix. Of course I caught him, and I named him Shine. lol

I just wish I could trade him to SS or White so I could show him off and actually use him. :T

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom