• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first shiny. How? when? where?

I found a shiny Pikachu in safari park (Diamond)... WHY!?!?!?!?!? It really sucked too because I couldn't catch him under normal
circumstances but instead stupid safari park rules.

I caught my very first shiny less than an hour ago. I only just learned about shinies a few days ago. And just yesterday, I saw a bunch of pictures of different shinies. So when I saw this guy come out, I didn't know what was going on but I was like...hey!! I called my son out & said come here & look at this! lol
And he said it was a shiny. I didn't know whether to freak out or what because guess what it was? A Bidoof. Umm...so that's cool, I'm happy. It kind of figures that my first and only shiny ever is a Bidoof lol. Hey I'll take it.

My Pokémon was in the grass & it came out - had a ring around it so I knew something was up but I didn't think shiny right away because I expected it to look a lot different. Once we caught it THEN I celebrated!!

Annoyingly enough, I've never run into a wild shining pokemon. My first, and only shining pokemon is that Gyarados. :-(

same thing, I have never run into a shiny. Although when I start looking out for them, I start finding them everywhere, and I catch them, only to find out they were not shinys lol

Found 2 shinies in emerald; Lairon and Duskull. Killed them both. The first shiny I caught was the shiny Gyarados, and that doesn't really count imo.

The first one that I ever encountered in a game was a shiny Suicune in Crystal. Unfortunately my brother fainted it.

The first one I ever caught was a shiny Spinda in Ruby. I forgot to apply Repel and then bam. Spinda.

I found a shiny Petilil while just wandering around the forest area of Victory Road in White 2. I'm surprised I didn't freak out very much...

I remember catching that shiny Red Gyarados back in the day and i remember countless grinding to level up other pokemons for the elite four and i have yet to catch an actual shiny besides the red gyarados which is sad but eh ive been searching ever since too in every game i play and havent seen or caught any so my luck is kinda meh... I'm sure if i ever caught a shiny i would probably set my 3DS or gameboy aside and just dance lol

My first shiny other than the obligatory Red Gyarados was a Pidgey on Route 37 in Silver. This happened at a time when I had no idea that Pokemon other than Gyarados could be found with an alternate colour, so I was astounded as well as delighted when I came across it. After catching it, I insisted that anybody with Gold or Silver searched that route as they would eventually find a gold-coloured Pidgey. However, I found a shiny Geodude in Rock Tunnel a few months later, which was enough confirmation that there was a shiny version of every Pokemon and that finding them was purely down to chance. Both of these Pokemon were lost many years ago when my save file corrupted, but since then I have found many shiny Pokemon in my games (the majority of which, regrettably, I have erased).

The very first Shiny I ever caught was actually the first Pokemon I caught in Silver over a decade ago... a Hoothoot.

The first I found was a Kakuna in Gold, but fainted it, the first one I caught was a Gloom in Sapphire, and luck didn't betray me because it was on the Safari Zone

Even though I am unlucky in every other place, somehow I keep finding shiny Pokemon. My first was when I got Heart Gold for my birthday back in 2010, I was going to pick Totodile, but when I got to the point where I pick my starter, the Cyndaquil was shiny, so I obviously chose it instead, after nearly freaking out in excitement.

Last edited:
I remember catching that shiny Red Gyarados back in the day and i remember countless grinding to level up other pokemons for the elite four and i have yet to catch an actual shiny besides the red gyarados which is sad but eh ive been searching ever since too in every game i play and havent seen or caught any so my luck is kinda meh... I'm sure if i ever caught a shiny i would probably set my 3DS or gameboy aside and just dance lol

I Ditto you, except I have trade shinies. (Shiny Eevee and shiny Amoongus)

I finally got (a real, non-Lake of Rage Gyarados) one!

A shiny Seaking in Black 2. I don't even remember where in Unova, but it was a couple of weeks ago, while I was working on my living Pokédex.

Caught a shiny finneon in Diamond. Woot. Later traded it away for a shiny Pelipper. I also traded a Ditto for a shiny Braviary, and it's become my favorite Gen V pokemon.

My first shiny was a shiny whismer in sapphire. Since then, I've encountered 4 more shiny Pokémon; wingull (Sapphire), nincada (sapphire), zubat (sapphire) and a rhyhorn (fire red).
The shiny wingull I was unable to catch because it was before you battled your rival for the first time and you didn't have pokéballs yet. Since the hoenn era, I haven't encountered anymore shinies even though I've encountered 20000+ pokémon. :(

First Shiny I ever caught? Ditto in FireRed. (this was way back when I was my young screw-up self who used a Master Ball on a Metapod and didn't even know what shinies were) I encountered it in Cerulean Cave and thought "oh, that must be a rare pokémon" so I decided to weaken it and catch it.

My first, and only, shiny encounter so far was a shiny Bellsprout in the grass West of the Nugget Bridge in LeafGreen. Not a particularly exciting or even dramatically different colored shiny but a shiny nonetheless!

First shiny I ever met and the first I've ever caught was in my last run of White when I got a shiny Tympole. It's now my shiny Seismitoad.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom