• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first starter

Which starter did you pick in your first Pokémon game?

• Total voters
Chimchar, on Platinum on an emulator. I’ve yet to play a main series game on a handheld/console.
Chimchar, and later, Infernape was the MVP. I still remember clear as day, when Monferno on red HP carried me through all the trainers on the trek to Eterna forest. The rest of my team had fainted due to my foolish attempt to switch and give them experience.

I was always afraid of Monferno giving out and me blacking/whiting out, but it carried me through that mess single handedly.

Infernape, you'll always remain special to me- one of the first Pokemon I ever saw (due to the anime) and the first one I used in game.

My first Pokemon game was FireRed, and I ended up picking Squirtle.

Turtwig for me.......Platinum was my very first game and I love grass types...and turtles.....and he carried me all the way through the game by evolving into Torterra...such a tank!

My first game was Yellow, so I was forced to have Pikachu. I was always jealous of how the rival got to get Eevee as a starter, since I always thought Eevee was so much cuter. That said, I did like in Yellow how Pikachu reacted to things and you could see its little expressions by talking to it. I kinda missed that feature after I got Blue version later that year. I believe my starter in Blue was Bulbasaur since it was my favorite of the starter group in the anime, so I guess Bulbasaur was technically the first starter I actually chose.

My first game was Yellow, so I was forced to have Pikachu. I was always jealous of how the rival got to get Eevee as a starter, since I always thought Eevee was so much cuter. That said, I did like in Yellow how Pikachu reacted to things and you could see its little expressions by talking to it. I kinda missed that feature after I got Blue version later that year. I believe my starter in Blue was Bulbasaur since it was my favorite of the starter group in the anime, so I guess Bulbasaur was technically the first starter I actually chose.

So I take it Let's Go Eevee was a balm to your weary soul?

Started with Gen 1 - Most guides at the time suggested not choosing Charmander because the first gym was Brock's and it had a hard time there. Bulbasaur was too slow of a start for me since it's first Grass-type move it learned was Leech Seed. So I started with Squirtle by default. I realize more now that it would have still been Squirtle no matter what though because I've always liked turtles :)

I started with Pokemon Red back when I was a kid and I barely knew what I was doing, and I ended up choosing Squirtle, mostly for random reasons, but it ended up being a lifelong favorite of mine.

X was the first proper pokemon game I've played. Sad ol' me has been a pokefan ever since the anime on TV, but all I had as a kid were a few movie cassettes. At the ripe age of 25 I got my hands on an used 3ds and chose Froakie bc its evolution was the most bad@$$.

I only started gaining interest in Pokemon about three months ago, and my first game was Pokemon Ultra Sun with my starter Litten.

torchic for me, My dad got me really into the games and finally got me a gameboy at like 7, with pokemon Sapphire as my first game. I was so happy after we had played with pokemon cards for so long instead of barbies.
So I chose Torchic because he looked like a fire chicken and at the time I didnt like water pokemon as much as I do now

my first starter was totodile in pokemon gold. I suppose it stood out to me as the one that looked the best, and to this day, I still have quite a fondness for the little gator and its final evolution.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom