• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first starter

Which starter did you pick in your first Pokémon game?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Obtaining your starter is supposed to be a special moment for every aspiring trainer. So what was the first Pokémon that you ever picked to start off a main series game? For me, I picked Turtwig (I started with Diamond). I still love it, even if I'm more coming around to the Piplup line in recent years.

It's been so long now that I really don't know which starter I really picked to try out my first run. I'm leaning toward Squirtle. I know for sure I didn't make a full run-through with anyone else... But I do remember starting up something playing Charmander. It may have been after my first run-through.

I've always picked the water starter in every generation since.

I only played my first main Pokémon game less than a year ago. It was Fire Red (via an emulator, I've never played a core Pokémon game without one). And to stay on topic, I picked Bulbasaur as my starter.

Charmander in Pokemon Blue.

The first one I had while knowing what I was doing and actually finishing the game was Mudkip in Sapphire.

I started with Cyndaquil in Crystal. I had never had my own Pokemon game as a kid, but when I got older and got back into Pokemon at 16 with the Diamond and Pearl anime (this was after it had aired to, I think it was late 2012). I did the "only use my starter Pokemon" tactic, so needless to say, Piper was a boss. I named her Piper because she was the leader of my not really there team, and I learned late into my run through of the game that starters had a low chance to female. I was shocked that I had gotten that kind of luck. Piper was an absolute beast, and since I have gotten myself quite a few more Pipers, but none can compare to the first one.

Last edited:
I don't remember (from RBY), but the first one I remember was Torchic in Ruby.

My first starter was technically Bulbasaur from back in Pokémon Blue, but since I never really got into the series then (my youthful interest was lost at around Viridian Forest) and didn't play another Pokémon game for years afterwards, the first starter I used as a loyal fan and the one who truly accompanied me on my first complete adventure was Chimchar. It was a day like any other when I decided to try Pokémon Diamond after enjoying Blue Rescue Team, and I was soon hooked for real.

Eventually I changed sides in favour of Turtwig, but I'm still kinda fond of Chimchar for putting up with this resurrected fossil as he strove to catch up with his age group.

Last edited:
The first Pokemon game I played was Red and got into the series thanks to seeing Charizard in the commercials, so Charmander was my very first starter.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom