• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your first videogame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Mario Bros: All Stars on the SNES. My sixth birthday present. My mom jokes all the time that the thing she regrets most in raising either of her kids was buying me that.

Nintendogs: Dalmatian and Friends, and some DS shovelware, mostly published by Ubisoft. The first game I played was Wii Sports.

I think my first video game was Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When it's Dark Outside. I would swipe up a re-release of those old Humongous Entertainment games so fast!

My first game was probably Tetris or The Hunt For Red October in my mother's original gameboy. She's basically a Tetris master and I think she transferred these skills irl because nobody can pack a space as well as she can. I am but a hopeless mess compared to that.

It really depends what you mean by video game. If you consider PC gaming as a video game, it's this Sonic the Hedgehog game I played online that's exactly the same as the Genesis version, just on some random game website. If you meant console it's Vice City Stories I played on my PSP. It's funny how I played so much different games before settling with Nintendo :p

I can't remember. I can remember it was the NES. It could have been one of the Mario's (we had Super Mario Bros w/Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros 3) or it could have been a third party game. I distinctly remember playing a Tiny Toons game, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout, Mega Man 2, some Dick Tracy game, some flying game (with very impressive graphics for the NES now that I think of it!), a Sesame Street game, a Wheel of Fortune game.

It could have been any of those that was my first. I was far too young to remember.

It was Pokemon Sapphire, 6th or 7th birthday, gift from my parents alongside a GBA SP (I requested that because of my cousin who was also into Pokemon).
I loved that game and would play it like crazy for the next few months.

Revival time!

So, the last time I answered this question here, I declared Super Mario 64 and Pokémon Yellow to be the first games I ever played. That said, I don't think that's entirely accurate after all (having over two years reconsider the question and all... :D). The actual first game I remember playing is a crazy racing game from the late 90s called POD, made by Ubisoft. As part of some promotional deal with Intel (the dominant CPU maker of the day), the game was bundled with PCs that had their fancy new Pentium MMX technology built-in, which POD was advertised to take advantage of. My family got one of these PCs around 1997 (it was our first PC), when I was about four years old or so.

I played a lot of games on that PC, even at a young age, but POD was one of the most memorable ones. It was extraordinarily awkward to control on a keyboard (we didn't have joysticks available, unfortunately), and the game ran rather questionably on the fancy Pentium MMX processor that it was supposedly optimized for, but I was nonetheless entranced by the game's surreal post-apocalyptic art syle and its absolutely haunting soundtrack (which is a single suite of atmospheric music that runs for almost 15 minutes straight).

Oh, and I was also amazed by what was arguably one of the most elaborate excuse plots in video game history, too. Basically, the game takes place on Io, a planet colonized by humans in the distant future. But in humanity's hubris, said planet's native virus — the titular POD — is unwittingly unleashed upon the world, dooming the entire population to a horrible fate. Everyone, that is, except for the champion of a racing tournament, who will win the last ship off the planet. Pretty edgy for a racing game in the 90s... and because it was the 90s, there was an entire FMV intro sequence made for the game, which was dedicated to telling all of that backstory in full CG glory.

"Mind-blowing" didn't even begin to describe all of that for my young mind; needless to say, I would playing many more video games after that!

I can't remember exactly since I have been playing videogames all my life, but it's either Super Mario World (SNES), Mario Kart 64 or Super Mario 64 (both for N64).

Mine was Super Mario 64. My parents aren't gamers and I have no older siblings, so I didn't have any exposure to video games until I was 6 or 7. I went to a friend's house and she had just recently gotten an N64; she showed me Super Mario 64 and I've been obsessed ever since.

Pokemon Red (or Blue, can't remember which). One of my earliest memories is seeing the first episode of the Pokemon anime, and being blown away. A few weeks later, I saw Pokemon Red & Blue in a catalogue (maybe Argos?) and begged my parents for either, and so a lifelong obsession began :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom