• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Your "FUUUUU" moments :D

"Um...H-Hello..."
Reaction score
On my first every playthrough of Pokemon Crystal, when I found that shiny Gyarados at the Lake of Rage. I didn't exactly know what to expect as it was my first playthrough but when i saw it in the lake and surfed over to it, i had a heart attack. I honestly thought that the red Gyarados was just a color pallet glitch, not a shiny. Still, when I saw it, I needed it. But that thing plowed through my team like it was nothing. I used an ultra ball and 6 normal pokeballs ad that wasn't enough. Angered, I hit the reset button and wound up at Olivine City....I forgot to save. And I didn't want to spend the time walking back there just to catch it and a fail again, so I just put the game down.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Just when I was beginning to enjoy Heart Gold, my second ever main series playthrough, the game glitches and I lost my progress...
I really don’t feel like restarting so I'll probably play it later, after Generation 5. Oh well...

On a side note, which game would you recommend me to play? White or White 2? I care more for the story and not much for competitive in these playthroughs.

Standing Out
Reaction score
On a side note, which game would you recommend me to play? White or White 2? I care more for the story and not much for competitive in these playthroughs.
Personally, I'd advise White. Being a sequel, White 2 requires knowledge of White to properly understand. I personally feel like the story of the first pair is a bit better as well, but that's just my opinion.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Personally, I'd advise White. Being a sequel, White 2 requires knowledge of White to properly understand. I personally feel like the story of the first pair is a bit better as well, but that's just my opinion.
Seconded this.

Besides that, you can just play White 2 afterwards. Unlike many sequels/third versions, Black and White 2 are very different in terms of playing and cities, since in BW2 you start out in a totally new city.

Sobble fan :3
Reaction score
Just when I was beginning to enjoy Heart Gold, my second ever main series playthrough, the game glitches and I lost my progress...
I really don’t feel like restarting so I'll probably play it later, after Generation 5. Oh well...

Would recommend both but definitely in order.

Reaction score
Fourthed?

Also, if you have a DS and a 3DS (or just two systems) you could use Memory Link to unlock some scenes in White 2. Most changes are minor, but the details they provide are nice.

Lovely
Reaction score
Ah yes, this thread.

When I was playing Y version, I was looking for a shiny Corsola in the friend safari. I found one, and sent out my Umbreon. I had it use Payback, and Umbreon decided to crit hit the shiny Corsola. Corsola faints and Umbreon is happy with the level up.

:/

the wrong ash(e)
Reaction score
So I'm playing FireRed. And I encounter a trainer right after Mount Moon. He KO's my Ivysaur, Nidorino, Pidgeotto, and I'm cornered with nothing but the Level 5 Magikarp I got from that Shady Jerk in the Pokemon Centre. So I send out my Magikarp, and as expected, I lose.

Reaction score
When I forgot to save my Pokemon Black game, turned it off, and realized that I'd have to fight Elesa all over again.

Ace Trainer
Reaction score
Leon's Haxorus. I was all set to take it down with my Sylveon and then "The Opposing Haxorus used Iron Tail". Boom. One hitted my Sylveon before it could even move. It then proceeded to down my entire team with Outrage.

Reaction score
Well, I know it's not the game's fault, but possibly either my computer or Dolphin's, but I hate how I have to save frequently in Pokémon XD because it keeps freezing. Which is kind of weird, since it's only with that game that it happens, and Colosseum runs perfectly.

Using Japanese names doesn't make you cool
Reaction score
I feel dumb because throughout my Sword playthrough, I'd been waiting to see my Pokémon Gigantamaxing since four of my six pokémon were capable of. Before I challenged Leon for the final match, I googled it to know how much longer I had to wait, only to find out those pokémon were supposed to be caught in the wild area in the first place...

They should have noted down between the lines throughout the game, though...

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I ran into a shiny Croagunk in the Great Marsh today. You can probably guess where this is going. If not, here's an aid.

Chucks Safari Ball.
Wiggle...
Wiggle!
Wiggle!!!
Pop!!!
Flees...

Safari Zones are evil enough as it is, let alone when the hopeful catch is a freakin' shiny. I can only imagine how many people have lost shinies that way.

Princess of Power
Reaction score
I decided to Masuda Method myself a shiny Ralts in order to get a shiny Gallade. So, I pop in a Jolly Kirlia with an Everstone and a 6IV foreign Ditto in Daycare. I'm hatching Eggs and yay! I got a shiny!

A shiny female. FML.

Edit: up to number two here. Hatched a shiny last night and it was female. Again. -_-

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just knocked out a shiny Magcargo. Granted, I'm doing shiny hunt in ultra wormholes and I might get another, but it did hurt. I have had three shiny Sigilyphs but not another Magcargo. Damn.

Princess of Power
Reaction score
I'll be online and I'll see a Raid that I want to join in, try to get in, and the host will randomly just stop looking for participants. I've been kicked out of several Golurk Raids and a ton of Gardevoir Raids, along with a couple of Galarian Rapidash Raids, because of this. It's irritating and it's the quickest way to end up on my ban list. (Seriously. When someone pulls that, I just immediately find them and block them.)

Princess of Power
Reaction score
When Sharpedo gets you in Isle of Armor
Especially when it sneaks up on you. I've had them attack me from behind while I'm about to get out of the water and onto one of those islands to grab items. Argh!