• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Gaming Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Overrated Games

Mega Man 2. Now, before people think I am being biased just because this game is really popular, let me say that this is the first Mega Man game I have ever played and beaten. I associate it a lot with my childhood.

The hype that this game gets in the Mega Man fandom is really eye-roll inducing. It is not a bad game in the slightest and I do like it. It has good music (which is also overrated, especially Wily Castles 1 and 2), but the gameplay can be really cheap, the weapons you get are broken and make blitzing though many levels a breeze, and I find the bosses to be really bland. I liked Mega Man 1, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9 better.

Why do I call it an overrated game? I guess because the people who claim this to be the greatest game in the series always say the later titles suck and will never be as good. They look at this game like it was a pot of gold, when in fact it had its set of problems that I cannot overlook. I guess I can see why it's a popular game, but I just don't share the same sentiment. It is not my favorite game in the series, and I am not going to stop people from feeling like it's the best game, but I am just saying it is not that great that it warrants an endless amount of praise, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sonic Adventure 2

This game is part of my childhood, i remember going to my uncle's house every weekend back in 2001 just to play this game, and until 3 years ago i was an extreme fanboy of this game and i would defend it to the death. But, 2 years ago i decided to play Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 and i noticed the gaping flaws of SA 2 (SA 1 is flawed as well but not as much).

Sonic/Shadow gameplay - Plays really great, great level design, sense of speed and i like the mutliple routes you can take to reach the goal ring.

Tails/Eggman - This is where i started to notice the flaws. Gamma in the first game played really smooth and it was fun to play, Tails/Eggman movement and jumping on the other hand are really clunky and sometimes i wish i could jump out of the mech with Tails and just fly over the bottomless pits that the game requires to cross with the mech. The levels also drag for too long, i'm used to 3-5 minutes for each level, but with Tails/Eggman levels can reach 7-9 minutes, specially in the last levels.

Knuckles/Rouge - They screwed up the great gameplay Knuckles had in SA1, in SA1 you could collect the pieces of the Master Emerald in any order you wanted, not in SA2 though, you have to collect them in order. This made Knuckles/Rouge levels basically luck based, the levels could either go really fast or reach more than 10 minutes, hell, in some levels i reached 15 minutes, i remember reaching 20 minutes in Meteor Herd/Mad Space, for that matter fuck Meteor Herd/Mad Space.

This opened my eyes to how flawed this game and how it's not the best 3D Sonic game ever made like a lot of people claim to be, it's a good game but definitely not the best 3D Sonic game.

... "It's so innovative! It's 3D and added a new type!" Get your freaking facts right: Pokemon Colosseum and XD did 3D...
I need to disagree with you for this. XY are the first 3D game for the main handheld series. And I think that is what the critics were excited about. (XD and Colosseum aren't part of the main series, mate. Oh, and another correction: I think Pokémon Stadium 1+2 were the first 3D games for the entire franchise.)

Back on topic, Super Mario Series. Same story, with nothing new for that platformer games anymore. The sooner that franchise calls it quits the better. I'm tired of seeing that stupid bitch being kidnapped by that stupid turtle who is pretty much a joke - without using her Final Smash she had in Brawl. (How much do I hate it now? Well for starters, I'd rather (hands-down) watch the Pokémon Anime - which apparently receives a lot of flak.) It does not deserve the praise anymore now. Nintendo really needs to move on with other franchises.

Last edited:

Mod Note:

Just as a reminder, this is not the place to be getting so deeply into the Pokémon games. Our section rules directly address this -

Pokémon anime and/or games

We realise that some of the topics within this section may apply to media forms or franchises that technically belong in their own other respective sections or subforums, including Pokémon (in anime or game form) or other unrelated anime. Brief contribution fitting a thread's topic is fine, but if it derails the thread to more in depth discussion it will be treated as a pointless post and you may be warned or infracted as such.
An example of an acceptable place to mention Pokémon or other anime might be in the thread "What Did You Watch On Television Last?" - posting that you just watched Pokémon is fine, going into what you thought about the episode is not.

Final Fantasy VII comes to mind. Like a lot of games, I suspect that this is often seen through rose-tinted nostalgia specs. I tried to play it in about 2005, and I honestly couldn't get into it.The actual gameplay itself was ok, though not great as I recall, but it was the story that killed it for me

LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Call of Duty
Street Fighter
Pokemon X/Y

Those are the ones that I can think of at the moment.

GTA IV, well I don't agree really with what critics said about it, I do think it is an amazing game overall and was worth my time and money but no way it should have a 98/100 on Metacritic. There are some pretty glaring and obvious faults with it such as cars that handle like boats on wheels, the world that mostly consists of grey, brown and black for colour and the missions which get pretty repetitive eventually (drive to one place, kill some gang members/police/whatever, escape the police, etc). GTA V did fix most of the major problems with IV I do think though for single player.

Mario. He's Nintendo's (and video games in general) Pikachu, but most of the games are same-formula, dull, and bland.

GTA (or as I like to call it, GTFO) and COD. Mostly because a lot of people I've seen who play it act like know it alls.

Pokemon Red and Blue. Sure, it ushered in the whole series, but that does NOT make it a superior game in every way like some might act it is!

Skylanders. I played the first installment, and it was pretty fun. Then along come all the others. It's always the same villain, same plot, maybe this time with different (and dumber-looking) characters. Then you remember that THIS GAME was the one that started this whole "living toys" trend among video games. Congratz.

Last edited by a moderator:

RPGs like Golden Sun and Star Ocean.

The games were fun and had interesting concepts, but I had three major issues:

1. Too many equipments that I have to upgrade repeatedly - and worse, they sometimes break and are forever lost.
2. Hard-to-find-AND-finish sidequests, some involving an extra comrade as the reward.
3. SAVE POINTS unavailable for most of the time omg

More complexity doesn't necessarily equal more fun, so I don't really get how those games were overly popular enough to get multiple series in the franchise :/

Re: Underrated Games

A game that never really gets the credit it's due is Sweet Home on the NES. To an extent I understand why as it's Japan only unless you download a ROM and the English patch. It's one of the best RPG games on the system. It's an RPG with a twist, it's also s horror game. The creators of Resident Evil claim that this was an inspiration for the original game. If you like JRPGs or horror games I recommend trying it out.

I don't think Bayonetta is that obscure to be honest, it could stand to be a lot more famous but I think it's still well known.

Well I'll agree it isn't obscure but with Bayonetta the gaps between the first two games being four years well that's definitely quite a long time. So depending on how the first game was advertised this may be the first time people could have heard about Bayonetta to begin with. While I do think it's become a bit more well known since Nintendo's got it now (and made it Wii U exclusive to boot) it still could use some more love when you take into account that Bayonetta 2 was announced back in 2012, all we got was a few short trailers and overall information was scarce on the title. So in short, I really don't think it was getting all the attention it could get aside from what revealed at E3 this year. And no I don't care how old this post is baby boy. <3

Last edited:

I personally think Zelda: Spirit Tracks is an underrated Zelda game. I don't really see why it isn't well known; sure it dosen't have as much of the exploration aspect of it's... Prequels (correct me if I'm worng there,) but it does have some, as well as the clasic Zelda gameplay... I just don't see why it isn't considered that good of a Zelda.

Also, Etrian Odyssey. I can't really say anything that Dolce didn't, so I'll just quote her:

Etrian Odyssey : Now I honestly can't say much in this case except I'm sorry I didn't pick it up sooner. I love how this game offers such a huge range of customization like your party, the skills they learn, and the very weapons/equipment they can wield. I also like how you get to map out your own map the way you like as well, and furious enemies like F.O.E.s lurking about it feels like an MMO at times, albeit with a good 10,000,000 less people. So really it's like you can build your own legend in these games. That's why I love them, but in the west it doesn't feel like this series has a ton of fans (though I could be wrong!).

Even though I've only played EOIV and EOU:TMG, I LOVED both of them... I don't really have anything else to say.

Last edited:

One of my favorite games growing up was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES.

A lot of people do not like this game because they feel it is too difficult. I will not lie, it is a HARD game. I can sort of agree that certain sections of the game are really unfair, with the underwater level being the most notorious, and the fact that there is no save or password feature makes it even worse. The characters are also unbalanced, with Donatello being the strongest and the other turtles... not so much. Still, it was a fun game. Beating a game this hard just makes it more satisfying. Not only that, the music is quite catchy!

A special mention goes to TMNT: Turtles in Time. The one I love the most is the SNES version as it had more to offer than the arcade version. I LOVE this game! It's a fun beat-em-up game with fantastic music! The fact that it follows the 1987 TV show helps!

Cave Story. This game was literally my all-time favorite game for almost five years until it got beaten by Assassin's Creed II last year. It has an excellent story, gameplay that retro and new gamers will absolutely love, great character development, interesting lore, top-notch level design, and amazing music. The only thing I disliked about this game was the process of getting the "best" ending of the game instead of the normal or bad ending, which is the hardest difficulty spike i've ever experienced in a game.

I’m not quite sure how underrated it is, at least nowadays, but Planescape: Torment doesn’t seem to get enough attention. It is a top-down isometric cRPG set in the more obscure planescape setting in the D&D universe (multiverse, really) that utilizes the AD&D dice-rolling RPG mechanics for combat, dialogue skill trees, picking locks, etc.. The story follows an amnesic, immortal man, called the Nameless One, who wakes up in a mortuary and then, with a sarcastic floating skull and other companions who join him along the way, searches for clues to learn the identity of his true name, why he was cursed with immortality, and how to regain his mortality. Its unique setting for a video game, well-rounded cast of characters, heavy dialogue and text (which might be too much for some, unless you like reading), phenomenal soundtrack, and D&D alignment system that judges the Nameless One’s character alignment based on how you treat other people breathes a lot of life into the game. But the story is the real selling point. Easily one of the most original, thought-provoking, and powerful storylines I've ever experienced in a role-playing game - and I've played quite a few RPGs - that makes it a must-play experience.

Earthworm Jim. They were such fun! I had the original for the Genesis back in the day, and I played the hell out of that.

Both Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future I think are super underrated. Both despite being over 10 years old have aged very well up to this day due to tight game play and amazing cell-shaded graphics. Also the music from both games are some of the best I have ever heard in a video game, great mix of many genres from hip-hop to alternative rock to electronic.

I'd say the Dragon Quest series is very underrated (well, not so much underrated as unknown) simply because Final Fantasy hoges all the glory, but I can't vouch for that since I have never actually played a FF title (yes, yes, everyone hate me) and only one game from the Dragon Quest series, so I'm just going to say Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King is a very good game that was just hidden behind the shadow of Final Fantasy Whatever one was available at the time.

I'm honestly shocked there was no thread like this before, well from my knowledge anyways. :p

So are there any games you vastly enjoy playing, but in actuality aren't that popular or has a lackluster fan-base? What are they and just why do you love playing these game(s)? Is it for their story, the character development, the controls, the overworld and it's scenery, in game equipment, weapons, music, and etc. (since I'm pretty sure you get the idea now. :] ). So feel free to share with us your favorite underrated games.

Here's my personal list of games I think need more love:

• Rune Factory : I feel like it's underrated cause unlike it's counterpart in Harvest Moon it doesn't seem to be that well recognized of a name, more like it stays within Harvest Moon's shadow. Plus this series does try to combine two very different things, that being dungeon crawling and farming with a bit of romance which probably doesn't appeal as much to anyone who might play Harvest Moon for the laid back peace and quiet it offers. Or others who perhaps find this combination of gameplay rather odd. But I myself love it for that reason the odd gameplay is what makes it stand out to me, and I love how zany some of the characters can be (especially in Rune Factory 3 with Daria, an elf artist whom paints with a hammer and Pia a mermaid who's convinced squid are evil). So being a fan of fantasy I really love and adore what Rune Factory offers in it's cast, game play, and unique setting.

• Lux Pain : I'm pretty sure this game has a fan-base of precisely 00000.5 people, cause anyone I've asked has never heard of it. Plus it's gotten bad ratings from places like IGN, which is an outright shame in my opinion yet understandable at the same time because this game doesn't offer much as a game. It's more suited to being a visual novel, and or anime, but either way it definitely is visual novel-esque. But when playing this story I found that the one factor that resonated with me the most was this game's story it was one of the most absurd stories I've ever played and that's precisely what made it stuck out to me. Since you go around as a young boy named Atsuki on a mission to destroy "Silent", a worm born through hate and sadness, which has infected humans and forced them to commit atrocious crimes using your power of "Lux Pain". And aside from the story I do love the game's characters and it's OST most of all. In fact not only was the art great, but it had an amazing song like this as it's intro.

• Etrian Odyssey : Now I honestly can't say much in this case except I'm sorry I didn't pick it up sooner. I love how this game offers such a huge range of customization like your party, the skills they learn, and the very weapons/equipment they can wield. I also like how you get to map out your own map the way you like as well, and furious enemies like F.O.E.s lurking about it feels like an MMO at times, albeit with a good 10,000,000 less people. So really it's like you can build your own legend in these games. That's why I love them, but in the west it doesn't feel like this series has a ton of fans (though I could be wrong!).

Now that I've listed my favorite games, feel free to share what yours are! And don't limit yourself to just one game or a few sentences, cause hey who knows you might interest someone else in picking it up and making a fan out of them!

I haven't played Lux Pain, but I must say, Rune Factory and Etrian Odyssey are criminally underrated. Both are fantastic and fun, and both are certainly far different than most games. What I like is how both of them have potentially hundreds of hours of play time and nearly infinite replayability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom