• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Gaming Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Underrated Games

Awesomenauts. It is a MOBA game but it has platform graphics. I have played Dota 2 and Awesomenauts is so much better. It is much more quick phased and you dont have to walk for half a minute to get anywhere. There is also fewer characters but all have their own abilities, upgrades, songs, backstories and voice lines. You battle 3vs3 instead of 5vs5 but it is still a very good game.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Jurassic: The Hunted. This game was kept largely under wraps back in 2009 and was released within a month of its announcement. But while the story is pretty ridiculous, the game is solid first-person shooter that's really just meant to be a fun distraction for killing dinosaurs with machine guns and nothing else. It's like Turok but better IMO.

Re: Overrated Games

This may seem like an odd choice, but I would say Dragon Warrior/Quest (I) can qualify as overrated. But I consider it to be overrated not because it is considered to be a great game, but because it is often regarded as a classic. I understand that it popularized RPGs on consoles; but when looking at the whole scope of RPGs, there was really very little else special, let alone groundbreaking, about it even for its time.

Basically, the whole game is comprised of a short, basic and clichéd storyline that's made longer with a lot of grinding necessary to advance levels and buy better weapons and armor to survive farther along in other areas of the world while searching for hidden quest items to reach your ultimate goal: Dracolord's castle. There's no party, just the lone hero; spells have the most basic names and functions; and the world is small. Other JRPGs also considered to be classics that were released shortly afterward, such as Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star - and of course its own sequels - and even other RPGs released before it, such as the Ultima and Wizardry series, were ahead of it in terms of storylines and/or RPG mechanics.

BW is the overrated Pokemon game for me. I have never enjoyed playing a Pokemon RPG less and for some reason BW was the one that got the rave reviews and perfect Famitsu score. Kudos for trying to tell a story with them, but the "black and white" theme was presented too clearly as Team Plasma being in the wrong when they should have been more ambiguous, Cheren and Bianca's CONSTANT interruptions really got on my nerves, and the only new thing that BW seemed to bring to the table gameplay-wise (The Dream World) was a massively boring chore. DP and XY were both much, much better than BW for me.

The Legend of Zelda in general is a series I've never gotten into. I've played Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time and they've never inspired me to keep playing or just become a fan of the series. However since I've been going back and playing old games I'm willing to give Zelda another chance.

Dragon Quest.

Every time I play one it just feels like a knock-off Final Fantasy game, and not being able to save where you want sucks.

I found Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, every single Call of Duty, the Kanto games, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 to be overrated. I love all these games (bar CoD), in fact, SM64 was my first game ever, but these games, for all their hype and fans, failed to fully live up to my expectations. It's mainly because there tended to be another game in the series that I found better, sometimes years later, like Sunshine to 64, Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to Skyward Sword, the Johto and Hoenn games to Kanto, and Galaxy to Galaxy 2.

Any game that gets high-praises for the use of movie cinematic cutscenes with a movie blockbuster gameplay actions. In the world where "Next-Gen" image is all about those things, it gets old really fast and makes me wish for the classical era of gaming to come back.

The Trauma Center series, especially Trauma Team. It's one of my favourite video game series but the fandom is so small and barely anyone has heard of it. I guess a game about surgeons, bio-terrorists, and saving people's lives from crazy, made-up diseases sounds a bit weird, but the games are really fun and really challenging (but they are made by Atlus after all, haha). Trauma Team in particular had a lovable cast of characters, really beautiful art and music that you would not expect to find in a game about doctors, great voice acting, and one of the most heartbreaking plots I've ever seen in a video game. It's such a shame the series isn't very well-known...

I like to think that the Fire Emblem series (except for Awakening since it was a true success) as a whole is really underrated. Especially Path of Radiance for the GC and Radiant Dawn for the Wii. They sold poorly, but got nice ratings and reviews. I think they were hurt mainly by poor marketing and availability. Ike being in Brawl did help some, I'm sure (it made me get both games, after all), but neither of them were ever easy to find. I think they're the best games in the series and the best games I ever played.

And Fire Emblem is my favorite series. I think it can be on par with franchises like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon someday.

I still stand by my original comment here, but another game that gets a lot of praise that I didn't find all that enjoyable was Majora's Mask.

Yeah, I'm not going to be too critical with this one as I know a lot of people like this game. The thing is, I didn't find it fun. When it comes to open-world games, the last thing I want to be is timed. It's not like a straight-foward platformer that encouraged you to hurry up. A lot of people liked that feature because it gave it a "new edge", but when it comes to a Zelda game where I have to rely on trial and error in a massive game that requires the use of a map, I thought it was a lousy gimmick. This is the only Zelda game I have never finished, and I realize that there are ways to get the timer to reset or slow down without any interruptions to your progress made, but guess what? I got sick of playing this game and redoing things over and over because the timer kept running out. I stopped playing before I got to those spots, and I felt that was unnacceptable.

Another thing that made this game not fun were the save spots. I like saving where I want to save. This game made you have to wait for those owl statues to save, and it was only temporary as when you reload the game, the last save file you have erases from existance. You could argue that it makes the game "more challenging", but I just say it's another way to make me not finish the game. That, combined with the timer, just made this game a bad experience. It's a real shame because it does look like it had a good premise. I like the darker tone it had compared to previous Zelda games, I liked the concept of Skullkid, I liked the concept of the masks, and I loved the music in this game! However, those two elements killed it for me, and to see these elements get a lot of praise really made me feel like I was a freak who just "wasn't getting it." Believe me. I got it, and I hated it.

Well to me some overrated games are The Last of Us which is a cliché ridden game and Watch_Dogs also because it was hyped and when I learned more about it and saw that it is filled with vigilante and modern (or post-modern) clichés that are unbelievably dull in my opinion.

I was watching Good Game last night on ABC2 and on the segment "Memory Cache", Bajo had a look at Toe Jam and Earl. It was a very underrated game. I remembered playing it at a friend's house when I was a kid and loved the game. But it wasn't that successful when it came to sales, which was sad.

I find the Suikoden series underrated. It's an incredibly charming series (well, the first few games and V are, anyway...), and at times feels like a cross between Pokemon and Fire Emblem due to gathering the 108 Stars of Destiny and the unfortunate chance of having them die in major battles over the world map. There are plenty of unique strategies to use with different parties, and the villain in Suikoden II especially makes the player hate him, something many games these days don't really accomplish.

Sonic 06. I just don't get why people say it's a bad game.

I like to think that the Fire Emblem series (except for Awakening since it was a true success) as a whole is really underrated. Especially Path of Radiance for the GC and Radiant Dawn for the Wii. They sold poorly, but got nice ratings and reviews. I think they were hurt mainly by poor marketing and availability. Ike being in Brawl did help some, I'm sure (it made me get both games, after all), but neither of them were ever easy to find. I think they're the best games in the series and the best games I ever played.

And Fire Emblem is my favorite series. I think it can be on par with franchises like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon someday.

Yeah, Nintendo can do with more games for Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind if they could do remakes for the Jugdral series - that is, with the option to tone down the sheer difficulty for 776. (Shame that Shadow Dragon wasn't with the updated mechanisms, and that Mystery of the Emblem remake didn't get exported.) I also wouldn't mind seeing more of the Donkey Kong stuff either. Also what happened to F-Zero too?

Donkey Kong recently got a new game lol.

As for F-Zero, I dunno.

Yeah, Nintendo can do with more games for Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind if they could do remakes for the Jugdral series - that is, with the option to tone down the sheer difficulty for 776.

I would love to see a remake of the Elibe series games and The Sacred Stones.I don't think any FE title sold well until Awakening.

A lot of people love The Simpsons: Hit and Run but I rarely see much love for Road Rage, which was a very fun game for a Simpsons fan like myself. Even if the gameplay was simplistic and there were glitches galore, it still had a lot of charm and a lot of offerings for fans of the show.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

((If there is already a thread like this, i must have missed it, sorry ;-;
))

Just like the tv one. What are you unpopular gaming opinions.

One of mine is that the new Call Of Duty looks awesome. Bear in mind i have hated half the games in the series.

Destiny doesnt catch my eye. Only 20 levels, when it could be more.

What about you guys?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom