• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your gym's secondary function

I suppose the first question is which type my gym would be, which is a rather tough question as I somehow like Ice but I also like many Fire Pokémon (including my favourite Pokémon, Ninetales). So I guess I'd have a Fire type gym in order to be able to train a Ninetales.
My gym could take inspiration from Japanese architecture as I like the way it looks and Ninetales is based on a Kitsune. As drawing is one of my favourite hobbies, there could be many pieces of traditional Japanese art, finished and unfinished ones.

The other Pokémon would be Larvesta (Volcarona in a rematch post-game), Charizard, Blaziken and Lampent (later a Chandelure)

Ok, I feel like I should point this out right now

Here, we like to talk about what would happen if we were gym leaders.

When I said that, I meant "here on Bulbagarden" not "here on this thread". I'm not complaining, and you don't have to change the posts you've already made, I just wanted to make that clear.

I've actually thought about this proposition before. Although personally it is not my favorite type, I could easily make a dual-purposed dark gym. The secondary function being a tea parlor/shop (I'm undecided whether it would be something more along the lines of the traditional japanese style or a more casual european style cafe of sort). The brewing of good tea, much like dark types, is very much an art of subtlety. You don't use too much flavor otherwise you overpower the original taste, but because of this it takes a more refined tongue to notice the flavors "hiding" within the nuances of the beverage.

My gym would not focus on any particular type(like Blue's). Its secondary function would be an arcade/movie theater.

Pokemon:Gothitelle/Flygon/Mawile/Gardevoir/Roserade/Samurott

Well, my gym would either be steel, dark, or dragon so... this one is kinda hard.

I'd say my gym would be a theatre. Stage plays, concerts, etc. I love theatre so... yep, that's what I'm going with.

Pinewood Gym, doubles as National Park.

Type: Diverse

Lineup: Crobat (AOO), umbreon (BO), espeon (AOO, DS), leavanny (SO), snorlax (BO) and [mega] lucario (SO).

Style: all-out offense (AOO), setup offense (SO), bulky offense (BO), dual screens(=light screen, reflect) (DS)

Badge: Symbiosis badge

TM: Return

I'd have a great big record store, with top-notch listening booths.
They'd have to be, the trainers would be in 'em, though one or two would be empty, in case some people aren't challengers and just want to hear a CD. The guy at the entrance would be the clerk, and challengers could opt to have their prize money go straight to purchases from the store, should they choose.
I'd keep a balanced team, one whose members don't have a common weakness, and give each trainer their own type theme.

Type: Multiple, similar to Blue

Badge: Mastery Badge

Pokémon: Pikachu, Lapras, Snorlax, Espeon, Gengar, Mega Charizard X (ace) (Mew and Mewtwo replacing Snorlax and Espeon in rematches)

Region: Kanto/Johto

Secondary Function: A grand library, dedicated to Pokemon, containing some of the rarest and most ancient text on Legendary Pokemon and Mega Evolution

Gym Leader: Red, "Pokemon Master"

The region/city isn't especially important, but it'd be an Electric gym for sure.

Since I have a bit of thing with Sound Design/audio engineering, as well as electronic music composition, the secondary function of my kind of gym would be that of a recording studio, possibly also a concert stage/recital hall, maybe even a radio station since those are popular in the series.

Although Electric type mons would of course be the most prominent, some outside-of-type mons might make appearances. Mainly this would be the Whismur/Loudred/Exploud line as well as Noibat/Noivern. Along with electric attacks, sound-based moves would be in abundance, and possibly a signal beam or two.

The Gym Leader would be "Sine, the Electric Maestro", and would hand out the Waveform Badge to victorious challengers.

Edit: Oh, and giant singing Tesla coils are a must. It's a thing, and it's pretty freaking badass:see/hear or yourself

Last edited:
This is a tough one to think about, because when I think about the kind of gym leader I would be, I always think of something cliched like a volcano (Fire-type) without any secondary type of function.

If I was to go beyond that, I'd probably go with an arcade or a hobby/collector's shop. Hey, you get to see what games and collectables are currently hot! Eh? EH?

Well, my gym would either be steel, dark, or dragon so... this one is kinda hard.

I'd say my gym would be a theatre. Stage plays, concerts, etc. I love theatre so... yep, that's what I'm going with.

I know this post is really old, but my immediate thought for a type for a gym like that is Ghost.

For me personally... I'd be happy training just about any type. But I think I'd want a gym that doubled as a zoo and/or a research facility.

Type: Normal (mostly)

Outer Layout: A country cafe

Badge: The Nurture Badge

Pokémon: it varies depending on how many badges the challenger has.
0 badges: Teddiursa, Glameow
1-2 badges: Teddiursa, Glameow, Zangoose
3 badges: Ursaring, Purugly, Zangoose
4-6 badges: Ursaring, Purugly, Slaking, Snorlax
7 badges: Ursaring, Purugly, Slaking, Snorlax, Miltank

Region: n/a

City: n/a

Secondary Function: A tearoom/Pokemon daycare

Gym Leader: Mallow

I can see myself having a Dark type Gym that in the inside is like a Halloween party with many rooms and that to proceed you'd have to get a key from one of two people inside the room that are dressed in costumes and one of them would give you the key and the other would just battle you. There would probably be some hints in order to figure out which one is the real one as well.

I know Halloween is more of a Ghost thing, but Dark types are fond of trickery, so the "Trick" part of "Trick or treat" would be just as fitting for them.

Water type Gym with a female-only spa (like The Sanctuary) using Charizard to heat the water

My gym would be out of this world, literally.

Type: Mixed

Gym: Space Station

My gym's secondary purpose is to study the effects of Pokemon and Battling in zero gravity.

Badge: Universe Badge

My Pokemon:

579.gif 474.gif 462.gif 376.gif 337.gif

Last edited:
Metal/fighter/Dragon classes =3

my gym would be a "special school" hehehe for shadow warrior lucarios

My gym would be an aviary! One of those huge, outdoors walk-in types with trees and platforms and bird-like Pokemon flying all over the place! The gym trainers would have the double task of taking care of the place and challenging any who come in. I don't know what my entire team would be, but my ace would be an underleveled Braviary. I'd hand out the Talon Badge.

My gym is a bug type gym, and all of the trainers in my gym are students studying bug types. My gym would host a variety of bug types with their own personalized mini-eco systems. In between battles, my trainers would do research. (And so would I!)

My gym would be a fire-type gym!

My gym would be in a restaurant, and the trainers will be the chefs and waiters/waitresses :p

I'd have a water type gym, and it would be a swimming pool! Maybe even a giant outdoor swimming lake, with the "arena" in the middle.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom