• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.
  • Announcing the National Bulbagraphic photography contest, open to entries from New Pokémon Snap and Sword and Shield, with prizes for the winners! A thread with all the details on how to enter can be found here.

Your hopes for sun and moon

I'm back
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
867
Reaction score
293
It's because a lot of people enjoy the idea of it being "them" that's going on the journey, and customization helps with that immersion by allowing them to tailor their character's appearance to be closer to their own. It's a matter of immersion.
Exactly. Compare with being able to choose being a "boy" or a "girl". Heck, compare with being able to name your character, and your pokemon.

In addition to that, with the large online community, it's great to be able to express yourself in a way that a generic Trainer class sprite does not.
Exactly. It gives people choice. It allows a more "intimate" (not the right word to use) connection with one's in-game avatar, which truly becomes an avatar.

I never doubted why people want Trainer Customization, it is pretty clear. And I want it too.
My question is, why does it seem to be the n1 demand fans have for SM, when it isn't such a relevant feature in terms of the actual gameplay.
Because they took it away in ORAS. And GF has a habit of adding features, then taking them away. And sometimes not giving them back.
How is it that we are able to take choosing boy/girl or naming our trainer for granted (we don't have to hope for these, because we know they're happening), and yet, customizing our trainer (which is only one step further) is something that we have to hope for?
Because GF has made it that way for us.

Side note: Personally, while I would like customization to come back, it's not at the top of my list. But I definitely understand why it's important to so many people.
 
Pokémon Master
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
3,502
Reaction score
3,634
Exactly. Compare with being able to choose being a "boy" or a "girl". Heck, compare with being able to name your character, and your pokemon.



Exactly. It gives people choice. It allows a more "intimate" (not the right word to use) connection with one's in-game avatar, which truly becomes an avatar.



Because they took it away in ORAS. And GF has a habit of adding features, then taking them away. And sometimes not giving them back.
How is it that we are able to take choosing boy/girl or naming our trainer for granted (we don't have to hope for these, because we know they're happening), and yet, customizing our trainer (which is only one step further) is something that we have to hope for?
Because GF has made it that way for us.

Side note: Personally, while I would like customization to come back, it's not at the top of my list. But I definitely understand why it's important to so many people.
But do people realize Game Freak has to actually implement those features? That they have to put effort in implementing different options? As in, they don't just pop up from thin air? Sure, GF might decide to make it a permanent feature, but I don't want to see a huge number of disappointed, whining players criticizing SM for lacking Trainer Customization if they decide not implementing it, for example.

In my opinion, it could be argued that the Battle Frontier was a more important feature, because it is relevant to the gameplay, and yet it was discontinued.

Even Pokemon following you is a more important feature in my opinion, but it was discontinued too.

So I just don't want people to think Customization is a total must, and be disappointed after, if it is not in the game. People should realize there are more important features.

But it's none of my business, I guess. If people overhype customization and are disappointed after, it's their fault.
 
Last edited:
more afraid of you
Joined
Mar 11, 2015
Messages
587
Reaction score
1,043
More Pokemon with differences like Vivillon.

6v6 Singles battles on battle spot.
 
Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
1,300
Reaction score
4,146
This is pretty broad,but I just hope the generation feels big. And by that, I mean I want this to be a step forward in nearly every possible way. I have high hopes for this generation because TPCI seems like they're finally starting to become super ambitious with the brand. GO is evident of that. I'm hoping this means that they'll aim higher with s/m than they have in the past with previous gens. It also feels like this generation will be marketed as the 20th anniversary gen, meaning they need to make it special somehow. It's pretty obvious they seem to have realized that yes, adults and teenagers make up a large part of their target audience as well, so why make things simple? I hope GO existing is a way for them to stop pushing the mobile mindset on the main games.

Ugh I only say this because of Kalos hype train compared to out it turned out. Don't get me wrong, I like x/y, but aside from the new visuals, they were far from an ambitious generation debut.
 
New Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
122
Reaction score
13
What I want most from past games: the DexNav, that was such a useful feature.
What I hope they don't bring back: Mr Bonding. Something about a flamboyant adult man who meets up with (presumably) underage characters in hotel rooms or near dressing rooms for "bonding time" (which is never shown or explained in game) seems creepy to me, and the backstory where he is created by 5 strange old guys fusing with another man doesn't help.
What I want new: Lots of original pokemon designs, when x&y disappointed I gave them a pass because they had to create new models for all the old pokemon but this time there won't be an excuse.
New thing I don't want: Significant use of amiibos. The way nintendo games have been going lately I am sure there will be some amiibo feature but I hope they limit it to insignificant stuff like purely cosmetic outfits, not things like unique pokemon or gameplay mechanics.
 
Pokémon Master
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
3,502
Reaction score
3,634
Believing ORAS is god's greatest gift really can mess with one's comprehension.
I just defend ORAS as one of the 2-3 best games GF have ever done. B2W2 probably is n1 in my list. So yeah... you are wrong. ;)

But what does this have to do with the thread? B2W2 didn't have Trainer Customization either, although they were developed simultaneously with XY. So... yeah. Your bitchy comment was a flop.
 
Last edited:
Almost always on Tapatalk.
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
1,783
Reaction score
311
About Trainer Customization, ai won't let my hope up...

Remember Masuda's interview:
"In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region, which featured this kind of motif of France and really focused on this beauty and fashion aspect, which is why it was a prominent feature in that game."
 
PinkIceTales!
Joined
Mar 24, 2010
Messages
2,021
Reaction score
4,967
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It'll be really disappointing to not have customization in the next series of games. I feel spoiled being able to create an avatar that looks how I want it to. If I end up not liking a character's design it makes it hard for me to want to play since I don't want to stare at that avatar the whole game. This is part of the reason why I don't really like trying to play through Diamond. For whatever reason I just really dislike Dawn's design. (Doesn't help that her anime counterpart irritated me as well.)

Battling others online won't be as fun either. I liked accepting the random challenges I would receive in X, and it was NOT because I'm good at battling. I'm pretty sure I lost every single battle I've been in that was not against an in-game NPC. I just liked seeing the other people's characters.
 
Pokémon Master
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
3,502
Reaction score
3,634
About Trainer Customization, ai won't let my hope up...

Remember Masuda's interview:
"In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region, which featured this kind of motif of France and really focused on this beauty and fashion aspect, which is why it was a prominent feature in that game."
Thank you, Lovandra. This is my point precisely. I enjoy customization as a feature, it's just it could be a Kalos exclusive feature. If that turned out to be the case, I just don't want to see a huge group of whining, disappointed fans criticizing SM for not having it. And seeing how everybody puts it at n1 on their list... A lot of people could be disappointed. That's all I meant to say.

I would prefer if it stays though.
 
Last edited:
PinkIceTales!
Joined
Mar 24, 2010
Messages
2,021
Reaction score
4,967
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'll just frump inside then. :p I likes playin Pokemon dress up.

I don't think it'd be a good criticism for the games though! Being bummed out over dropped features (I miss you, following-pokemon!) is something we pretty much just have to expect from special elements sometimes.

Though I really hope at least something unique from X/Y stays. Hopefully that thing is NOT a city so big and annoying to traverse that they offer you cabs to jump around with. If I'm forgetting another feature, feel free to remind me, but I really hope at least at the very least trainer customization OR riding pokemon stays. Of course, they should expand riding pokemon a little if it DOES stay though. It's a cool concept that could have been done better. Maybe combine it with a returning following pokemon feature? Certain pokemon following you could let you hop on their back and help you get around?
 
Pokémon Master
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
3,502
Reaction score
3,634
What I want most from past games: the DexNav, that was such a useful feature.
What I hope they don't bring back: Mr Bonding. Something about a flamboyant adult man who meets up with (presumably) underage characters in hotel rooms or near dressing rooms for "bonding time" (which is never shown or explained in game) seems creepy to me, and the backstory where he is created by 5 strange old guys fusing with another man doesn't help.
What I want new: Lots of original pokemon designs, when x&y disappointed I gave them a pass because they had to create new models for all the old pokemon but this time there won't be an excuse.
New thing I don't want: Significant use of amiibos. The way nintendo games have been going lately I am sure there will be some amiibo feature but I hope they limit it to insignificant stuff like purely cosmetic outfits, not things like unique pokemon or gameplay mechanics.
What you said about Mr. Bonding is so true xD
 
Almost always on Tapatalk.
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
1,783
Reaction score
311
But if they do Gen 7 like they did with Johto.. That can be a reason for trainer customization to come back.

But still, I wont get myself up too much.
 
oh my
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
2,722
Reaction score
884
> The world should be as rich in culture as it is in beauty.
This is probably my biggest concern. Kalos was a beautiful region, but didn't have enough culture for me (though to be fair it did have some, unlike Unova). With every new region there is potential to have some really great myths and stories to get players immersed enough into the region to believe it's real. Kalos had history, but again, I'd like to see some more.

> About 100 new pokemon, but at the very least less than 150.
Quality over quantity is a must, so if they have to only have 100 pokemon for them to all look great, then so be it.

> Advanced customization.
While it's not a deal breaker for me, it would certainly be a nice option for them to keep.

> Different modes (Easy/Normal/Hard) available at the START of the game.
Sure, B2W2 included it which was nice, but having to delete your save file just to play a different mode sucks, especially if you're like me and don't like to delete your save files. Speaking of that...

> Give us multiple save files.
It's about damn time, Game Freak, so unless you have a good excuse I'd like to see three slots when I start the game.

> The simpler the story, the better.
In my opinion, the best story would be simply telling the history of the region and us getting to learn things about it and its people. A good story can't be done without a good region, if you ask me.

> Racially diverse characters.
It can't be that hard to change the skin-tone on basic character sprites, can it? And frankly just having one appear as the gym leader isn't doing a lot. I'd also like to see that, if we really are going to Hawaii this generation, that the player's have a design reflecting that fact.

> Themed music!
Kind of stealing this one from someone else who said it. Give us music that reflects the region. If we're going to Hawaii, then let me be the first to say I expect a lot of percussion noises, and frankly this idea really excites me since I love a good beat.

> The regional pokedex should include more Gen VII pokemon then other pokemon.
I'd appreciate it if the new region wasn't filled with mostly old pokemon, Game Freak!

> A grand post-game
This goes in-hand with a good region, if you ask me. But I'd really like to see multiple things in this regard, such as new cities to explore, battle facilities, and side-quests (The Looker side-quest in XY was brilliant, if you ask me). And please, don't make the post-game so pushed in our faces like the Delta Episode was.

I'm also thinking that we'll be going back to Kalos in the post game, but perhaps that's more wishful thinking. However, given that Volcanion and Zygarde haven't been fully explored yet, I'm expecting them to come back into play. I also wouldn't be surprised if we could go to Kanto in these games as it is the 20th Anniversary and Hawaii is fairly close to Japan, but that's only a guess.

> Good new moves
Frankly, the only move I can really remember from Kalos is Moonblast, but that's mostly because it was one of the best moves for a new type. I'd like Gen VII to give us some new moves that can not only shake up the metagame but make normal gameplay exciting as well.

That's about all I can think of for now.
 
Lovely
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
14,515
Reaction score
4,245
Pretty much everything's been said in previous posts. The one thing I'd like to see return is the Lost Item quest from B2W2. A subtle dating simulation :3

And short shorts for the male PC.
 
I'm back
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
867
Reaction score
293
> The simpler the story, the better.
In my opinion, the best story would be simply telling the history of the region and us getting to learn things about it and its people. A good story can't be done without a good region, if you ask me.
I agree with everything you wrote except MAYBE this. I'm not sure what you mean by simple. If it's simple but AWESOME, that's fine then.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
2,235
I agree with everything you wrote except MAYBE this. I'm not sure if what you mean by simple. If it's simple but AWESOME, that's fine then.
i think they mean less convoluted. since Game Freak started incorporating the box legendaries as key aspects of the stories they have gotten a bit extra.
 
Fluffy!
Joined
Jun 17, 2015
Messages
441
Reaction score
1,149
I don't expect trainer customization in SM, so I won't be disappointed if it's not there. It doesn't stop me from wanting it though. I've wanted it since Gen IV, but I never expected to see it happen. Kalos was a surprise.

I think it's fairly relevant since the player character is a self-insert. Then, there is the fact that we battle with other people, and everyone having the same character is eh. It didn't matter too much in the early games because you couldn't really see much detail in the sprites. Now the games are in 3D and you can very clearly see your player character. I don't even want that much, just the ability to change skin/eye/hair colour and maybe a few hairstyles. Fashion is optional, but a nice addition.

It's just that many games nowadays have even basic customization with a few limited options. I don't see why Game Freak shouldn't keep such a feature for a game where it's a self-insert and it's supposed to be your journey and your adventure. Like I said, it doesn't have to be rich with a lot of options. Even basic stuff would be fine with fans.

Just my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Top