• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Ideal Pokemon Game

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Imagine you're in charge of creating a new main series Pokemon game. What would it be like? What features would it have? Also it doesn't necessarily need to be something you think is going to happen, so ignore factors such as what Game Freak would do, what could realistically be done with current time constraints, resources, technology, etc. The point is to imagine what would be the perfect Pokemon game to you if it could be anything you wanted.

2 likes without me even saying anything? Wut?

Anyway, I'm going to share my idea to get this going.

In general, what I want is for the games to feel like an interactive version of the anime. It should be a self-driven adventure where you could go out into the world, do whatever you want, and accomplish your own goals. I would also like to be able to team up with other players and adventure with them in game, teaming up with them throughout the game. The region would be open world so you could go pretty much wherever you want from the start, you could defeat gyms in whatever order you want. Hell, you don't even have to beat the gyms if you don't want to, you could choose to be a coordinator, you could complete the Pokedex and aim to be a professor, you could compete in competitive and tournaments. The world is your Cloyster. Anyway, that's the general idea behind what I would want. Here's some other assorted things that I would want:

-Poke Ride gets expanded so you can use it with any Pokemon you want. Whichever Pokemon is in the lead follows you and can use their field move. Like in BotW, you can also get creative with them to explore the overworld in different ways. You could do things like cut down a tree to create a bridge across a gap, climb a cliff to get around a gap or over a mountain, dig your own entrances or paths, etc.
-Plenty of QoL features through either the regional gadget or various Key Items. As many as if not more than the Poketch and the Pokenav Plus. There should be a PSS-esque online app, a town map as detailed as the Rotom Dex's, some form of a trainer rematch system, and a Dexnav-esque Pokemon finder app should be standard features.
-Return of the Battle Frontier. We need some battle facilities with unique battling mechanics again.

A bit much for now, but I can definitely see this being a realistic expectation for the series in say, 10 years.

-some new megas (especially for old starters that didnt get any; new mega Venusaur and Blastoise forms ro match them out with Charizard X and Y)

-some new Z-moves
- battle system and program that oponents
- 3 stages of battle level you could choose: - beginner ; -medium , -champion/master
- the 3 stages of battle level would make your oponets pokemon level depend on your pokemon team level and amount of pokemon and power of all moves.
- better movesets and strategies for in game play oponents( more in-game usement of weather, abilities and move effects for oponents)

- more reactions between terrains, weathers, battle areas and moves
-weather changing more frequently in regular battles between rain and sunny weather in normal areas
-Extra sensory would hit Diving, Flying(+Bounce) , Phantom force user with exception of dig users
- Grass knot , Fire Pledge would hit Dig users and so on , more effects and moves reacting to moves and abilities reacting to weather and moves (old ones remastered and new ones)

-new kind of entry hazard and trapping moves that block the pokemon from moving the first turn when it enters battle in a switch in situation:

- quick sand(ground) - the pokemon is sinked in deep sand the first turn,
for landgoing pokemon (ground, ghost, flying and levitating would be immune to this)

- deep snow(ice)- the same effect as quick sand but ice type immune instead of ground

- and maybe one against flying and levitating pokemon? maybe pixie stones, then fairy could beimmune?
or maybe a -smog cloud(poison)- flying and levitating pokemon are trapped in a smog could the first turn and can't move or atttack

some more pokemon that are "shedinja" equivalents:

- one thats immune to SE moves(could be oposite to shedinja but slower or faster depending on the type combo)

- one thats immune to special oriented attacks(with higher hp then shdinaja and good defense stats, sp. defense could be 1point ; i imagine a dragon/ghost skeleton, but not legendary and not pseudolegendary)

- one that's immune to physical oriented attacks (the oposite to the special oriented version- could be dark/normal)

-The protagonist is not a sympathy magnet, he is treated like an adult and has to figure out some things on their own, and is opossed by some characters very early in the story.
-There are more than 100 new Pokemon, and the Regional Dex for once does not have the overexposed Kanto and Sinnoh classics except for Ditto. Their distribution in the region is similar to XY´s.
-The story is well-thought, and we have the chance to play through flashbacks of the villains and other characters' lives. Developing the admins of the evil team is a priority over giving the grunts funny lines, the admins appear very early.
-The puzzles of the gyms/trials/whatever are interesting and challenging, and have a chance to be replayed.
-The sidequest is similar to Pokethlon, there are many minigames to choose from and is easily accesible.
-Postgame has a complete sub-region to explore, with many underused Pokemon from the past that aren't available in the regional dex. It has a good mixture of cities and routes, and it has a big city with lots of things to do like Kiloude City.
-The trainers are very strong and have a way to cover their weaknesses. Totem Pokemon are available in the postgame, regardless if the game has trials or not.
-The region has many different climates and it feels very different from the others, and it represents the region's theme perfectly.

I have a huge desire to have a complete type journey. The aspect I LOVE about G/S/C/HG/SS is that you can visit the neighboring region and get to the old gyms. So my ideal game is going to have a lot of that kind of element added to it.

-Take and build a well thought out region. Maybe a smaller 'dex but lots of variety of terrain.
-Keep Mantine surfing
-Allow travel to prior regions, but make sure they are fleshed out and modernized consistent with the current generation.
-Each Gym/Trial is scaled in difficulty to be a challenge to where the player is at that moment. Same thing with trainers on the routes.
-Post-game content from each region be included or un-lockable. Maybe a way to acquire the Event Legendaries for each gen.
-Make it so that the entire National Dex is available across the two games, take it back to Gen 1.
-Also make it so that each 'mon has an acquirable HA if it has one. You don't have to make it easy, just make it acquirable.
-Keep different clothing options available. I'd prefer XY over Gen VII, but don't slide back like ORAS.
-Ride 'mon? Eh. Keep 'em or don't.
-Please make the Route trainers have more than one 'mon. (looking at you Gen VII)
-Sweet jeebus, I'd love a built in Hard Mode (Nuzlocke). I know that it never will, but I'd love to see some way to realistically make the games more difficult without needing to use my limited self control...
-Keep it turned base. Please. This is a must.
-I have no strong opinion about 3D open world.

I'll add more if I think about it.

For my "ideal Pokemon game", for starters I would want to have seamless areas/transitions between areas. For example, when you enter a building the door opens, camera follows you inside and just like that you're indoors. Likewise, Pokemon battles more or less take place on the field.

I could rattle off a list of assorted quality-of-life improvements, but minimal loading screens/transitions is The Big One.

1. The game would be set in 3 regions: Johto, Hoenn, and a third one. In an ideal case scenario, the third region would be Unova, but since it is far apart of Poke-Japan, maybe good ol´Kanto could be the third region instead. Kanto, Johto and Hoenn are all closely connected, and while we are at it, I would throw in Sevii Islands for a postgame visit.

Alternatively, Johto+ Hoenn + Unova could also work, if we take a plane to Unova after we complete the Johto+ Hoenn quests.

2. The game would have all the current selections of Pokemon in those regions, plus an equivalent of Alola formes for some of them (not exclusive to Kanto Pokemon in this case). Also some additions of newer Pokemon would be present, via DexNav, or something like it, but here it would work only for those "hidden Pokemon" that are not part of the regional dex.

3. This game would not be plot- heavy at all. Firstly, the plot would be as far from a world scale plot as it can. It would be a more personal story like SM´s story (I mean scale- wise, not theme- wise, as aliens definitely would not be the theme). I think it would most closely resemble the Johto plot, however: some dudes that are still causing low- level problems and need to be stopped. Just like in GSC/HGSS, the "personal journey of becoming the best trainer ever" would be the main theme of the game.

4. There would be a completely optional sidequest in each region: Contests, Pokeathlon and Secret Bases would all be a given. Sectret Bases would be expanded in a "build your own Gym!" feature. Kinda like what OR/AS had, except even more fleshed out, where you could design your very own badge, and recieve daily challengers.

5. Battle Frontier would be a given in the postgame. It would be a new special Battle Frontier that reunited the best Battle Facilities from Emerald and Platinum, plus the PWT facility from BW2, plus at least 2 new original ones.

Last edited:
Story is reallyrbig with me so I focus on that the most and features second.

For example the starters would be the legendary trio Pokemon of the region. Because of this they're the first starters that do not breed. You catch the starter your self with help from the professor who has been hunting them down for years. The other two are still are large and are captured by the bad guy for this game (the starter with a type advantage) who starts out as your friend and forms the evil team around the 4th gym badge. The starter with the type disadvantage would be captured your friendly rival (opposite gender counter part).

The bad guy (your friend at first) becomes evil because the power of the legendary Pokemon corrupted him and he now has a greedy desire for power. You defeat him at the end because his Pokemon won't obey his commands since he stopped treating them with love.

Also the badges can be obtained in any order you wish. All the gyms are in one large city and you explore the region outside the city for training as no Pokemon can be caught in the city and battles can only happen in the gyms.

As for features bring everything back from past generations that have been cut out over time. And have a feature where you get to wonder the region as the Pokemon you've caught (meaning you'd be stuck as that Pokemon until you go back to being he trainer) this means you can't swap and can't heal if you faint it's a white out.

Region would be large around he scale of I don't know I'd like to say BoTW Hyrule but that might be to big. I'd also have it so you can explore and climb just like BoTW exfepe you use your pokemon to help you climb or swim

1. The games would have a good story, like Gen V or Sun/Moon. Not something half-assed like XY's.
  2. There would be two villain teams. One is a more goofy and ineffectual team like Team Skull, the other is a more threatening and evil team like Plasma or Galactic. The goofy and ineffectual team would be called Team Mayhem and have a punk rock/anarchist theme to contrast with Team Skull's gangsta rap theme while still being reminiscent of them. The more evil team would be called the Umbra Syndicate and a secret division of a seemingly-benevolent corporation called Lumicorp; their goals would be less "destroy everything" and more "manipulate and subvert the law to take over the region and make incredible profits while doing unethical things." The punk rock villain team would turn out to be an enemy of the Umbra Syndicate, and end up helping the player stop them.
    1. Team Mayhem's leader would basically be an older, meaner-looking Roxie-ish character with a personality like a female punk rock version of Guzma. The Umbra Syndicate's leader would be a charismatic and manipulative young executive with a horrifying, Ghetsis-esque lack of empathy for others and a lust for contro; he'd bear a resemblance to an evil version of Steven Stone. He'd be the final boss of the story, much like Ghetsis was in Gen V
  3. New type combos abound! Bug/Ice, Fire/Fairy, Electric/Fighting, Electric/Dark, Fire/Grass, Fighting/Fairy, Ground/Fighting, Bug/Dragon, Poison/Steel and Rock/Ghost would all be added.
  4. The region would be based on the British Isles, and be relatively close to Kalos. Professor Sycamore may show up in a cameo role.
  5. Gyms are back; the types are Normal, Flying, Poison, Fairy, Fire, Ground, Dark and Steel.
  6. The Elite 4 are Water, Ghost, Psychic, and Grass.
  7. The Champion is a Bug-type user.
  8. In the post-game, a new area of the region would be opened up to exploration, similar to parts of Unova in BW and B2W2. These would contain gyms for the types not used by the E4, Champion or previous Gym Leaders. After taking on these gyms, the Elite 4 would be tougher and you'd fight the Champion.
  9. All Gym Leaders, E4 members and the Champion would have one or two Pokemon not of their specialty type on their team, but of a "related" type or in the same Egg Group while matching the theme.
  10. There would be 144 new Pokemon, including two Mythicals, the two Mascot Legendaries, a Legendary Trio and five new Ultra Beasts.
    1. The mascot legendaries would have little to no role in the plot, much like Ho-oh and Lugia.
  11. There would be 20 new Mega Evolutions, such as a Poison/Steel-type Mega Garbodor with Filter. These Mega Evolutions would be granted to Pokemon from Gens 4-7.
  12. In addition to the 144 new Pokemon, there would be 12 regional variants, including a Bug/Ice-type Masquerain, a pure-Flying-type Koffing and Weezing (themed around "clean air" and inspired by an awesome idea for Alolan versions of them I saw on dA) and a Fighting/Fairy-type Lucario.
  13. The starters would be a Grass/Bug-type ant larva that evolves into a Grass/Steel-type leafcutter ant knight focused around being a speedy physical attacker and pivot and have Heatproof as its HA; a Fire-type peacock chick that evolves into a Fire/Fairy peacock fan dancer focused on being a moderately fast special wallbreaker, and have Dazzling as its HA; and a Water-type Pakicetus that evolves into a Water/Ghost-type longboat/Basilosaurus/Bake-kujira hybrid focused on being a mixed wall with decent offensive capabilities, and have Filter as its HA.
  14. The pseudo-legendary will be a pure Bug-type that evolves into a Bug/Dragon-type.
  15. The protagonists would be around their early/mid-teens, like the BW and possibly XY protags. The girl would be very tomboyish in her default outfit like Hilda. However, there would be even more clothing than XY and hairdos than USUM for both boys and girls to suit different people's sense of style.
    1. Team Mayhem's uniform would be unlockable in the post-game, like Team Skull's shirt and hat were in SuMo and USUM's post-games.
  16. The professor would be female and have glasses. She'd specialize in studying abilities and hidden abilities, and be almost like a female Elm.
  17. There would be two rivals; one is a Jerk with a Heart of Gold, like a less-jerkish Blue; there's a part where he runs into you while you're infiltrating the Umbra Syndicate's base, and the game makes you think he's about to battle you like Blue did in RBY, but he instead decides to team up with you. The other rival is a sickly and shy young girl, like a female Wally.

Last edited:
I honestly just have an ideal story and that's it
Game is located in a post-apocalyptic world where the evil team had successfully used a legendary to take over the region. The player is joining the resistance and is getting their first Pokemon, the starter, from the leader of the resistance, the region's professor. He tasks you to take out the evil team's eight admins who are located in 8 different towns, with the first one being located in a nearby town. After defeating the first admin, player meets the rival, the prideful, rich kid of the evil team leader who was given the starter that has an advantage over the player's. Throughout your adventure, you fight all the admins, who slowly persuades the player to abandon the resistance, while, on the other hand, the resistance slowly persuades the rival to turn away from his father. The last admin tells the player about the region's past and how the evil team leader saved the region from destruction, while the professor tells the rival about how the evil team leader's backstory and how he caused the apocalypse. In the climax, the evil team leader and the professor tells the player and the rival, respectively, to catch the other legendary in the duo, and both meet up and fight. The player defeats the rival and kills him, but learns what the professor told the rival and realizes his mistake. Both the evil team and the resistance then appear, and they all fight. The player defeats 4 of the best generals in the evil team before facing the evil team leader. The evil team leader then tries to kill the player with his legendary, but the other legendary protects the player. In a 6-on-6 battle of the fates, the evil team leader is defeated. He is then revealed to be related to the professor, who was the previous champion of the region before the evil team leader, using his legendary, took over the region. The evil team leader then reveals his ultimate weapon that he created, made to be used when he is on the verge of defeat, and fires it. With the help of the professor and the rival's Pokemon, the player destroys the ultimate weapon and incapacitates the evil team leader. He is then made the first champion of the new era of the region, and the battle in the credits is against the professor.

In the post game, the player is tasked to find and capture the remaining members of the evil team along with Looker, including the eight admins. Relief is also sent from all the other regions, and you have a chance to fight with one of the region's gym leaders/trial captains appearing each day. Once defeating that gym leader, the region itself is unlocked and you can have a chance to traverse it and fight all the gym leaders or go through all the trials, and even challenge the league in that region. A battle frontier is also opened, with all past frontier brains and chatelaines appearing, minus Caitlin, who is replaced by Darach. A final story appears after unlocking all the regions (but not beating it), and includes fighting a revived Rainbow Rocket, this time with the help of the professor, the rival who was revived by Xerneas, and the evil team leader who redeems himself in this arc. All of the evil teams reappear in their respective regions through wormholes created by Giovanni and attempts to take control of their region after failing to do so in their timeline (for Alola, I think Lusamine and the Aether Foundation with their Ultra Beasts work). Once all the other evil teams are defeated, the professor and the rival fight two Rainbow Rocket admins while the player and the evil team leader fights Giovanni, who managed to cheat the system and bring twelve Pokemon with him, including the legendary birds, Mew, Mewtwo, and the third, previously unknown legendary of the region. Giovanni tries to persuade the evil team leader to join him, but he refuses, and Giovanni is eventually defeated and killed, finally ending his reign of terror. The rest of the game is catching all the Pokemon, now probably being over 1000, and helping to rebuild the player's home region like creating gyms.

The region is going to be based off of Korea, and new type combinations include Ghost/Dragon, Fairy/Fire, and Grass/Fire. There will be new Mega's, like Mega Butterfree and Mega Flygon, and Z-Moves like the Starterium-Z and the Legendarium-Z (obviously, the names of the Starter and Legendary), but no regional variants.

Last edited:
I am not going to be overly specific here.

1. The game takes place in Kanto and Johto, with a few new areas added to the north. It's been 20 years since the events of GSC transpired, and in that time, about 100 new species have been discovered in the previously off-limits mountains.

2. You can start in any city and make your way through the regions. You need to collect all 16 badges for the league, but the league isn't required for any of the additional quests/features.

3. You can interact with wild Pokemon rather than battling them. If you convince them to join your team by means of having your Pokemon play with them, then they will know a special move as a token of your encounter.

4. The game is fully voice acted and the player character can speak by reading the player's mind receiving input out of at least five options. Their voice is customizable, so pay up all those actors across 8 languages, Nintendo.

5. There are dozens of time travel segments that are unlocked in various areas whenever an "out of sync" Pokemon appears there. This is how the crust of the plot is told, as these segments all weave the tale of the regions' history in past, present and future.

6. You can have a companion or two out of the many supporting characters in the game. Rather than immediately being friends, these characters will react to how you interact with them, your Pokemon and other characters. Choose wisely or you will be unable to proceed in the game.

Last edited:
The Gen 5 games, but with Gen 6 Wi-Fi, patchability, a few other minor touch-ups

S’all I really need

The Gen 5 games, but with Gen 6 Wi-Fi, patchability, a few other minor touch-ups

S’all I really need
I didn't want to post because my answer would just be "BW/BW2, but with the new Gen stuff." But yeah, that's exactly what I want. Just straight-up give me Unova with characters customization, Fairies, Megas, and a Challenge Mode that's unlocked at the start.

ORAS with a Battle Frontier and Gym Leader rematches

1. It has to have a difficulty system. Even a basic "Easy - Normal - Hard" mode will do.
2. The rival has to be antagonistic. I'm not a big fan of friendly rivalries for 5 generations in a row. I'd like the opposite of Silver - a rival who starts out as friendly, but slowly grows to resent the player as they continue to lose throughout the game. This development would culminate in a battle against a bitter, cruel rival who used to love their Pokémon.
3. It has to have exploration. Hidden paths and extra roads are great, put rare items or Pokémon in them and you've got some incentives for exploring every nook and cranny. Maybe some buildings with helpful NPCs here and there. No hallways please.
4. A massive region. Lots of places to explore and such.
6. A postgame with lots of optional sidequests. I was thinking of the Pokéathlon, PWT, and of course the Battle Frontier.
7. The PokéRadar and DexNav should return. SOS Battles and Island Scan aren't doing a good job replacing them imo.
8. Rematches for all trainers. Regular trainers? VS Seeker. Gym Leaders? A building like the Battleground or Saffron Dojo. Rival(s) and the Elite Four? Postgame.
9. PokéRide. No more HMs, please.
10. A non-dragon Pseudo. Give it to another type for a change - maybe Ghost/Normal? Fire/Ice?

^ I think that's about everything I'd like? Basically I'd love a large region with plenty of exploration and things to do.

2. The rival has to be antagonistic. I'm not a big fan of friendly rivalries for 5 generations in a row. I'd like the opposite of Silver - a rival who starts out as friendly, but slowly grows to resent the player as they continue to lose throughout the game. This development would culminate in a battle against a bitter, cruel rival who used to love their Pokémon.

Ooooooh, better yet, make them love their Pokémon, but make them HATE us. Heck, take that a step further and make it the final piece of Post Game is to work through this epic ordeal to find a common ground with shared love of your Pokémon to reach an understanding with them. Make it bittersweet even and have them just end up as only respectful at the end.

Just a thought.

I want to post-game facility to be an all-in-one masterpiece. It can have the standard Battle Tower rules for those who are content with it, but please give us optional rulesets akin to what the Battle Frontier had (or at least Inverse Battles - poor format got limited to a once-per-day thing). After all, the thing people liked about the Battle Frontier in the first place was how it put different spins on battling! If Game Freak can work that into one facility, then that's fine with me.

1. Difficulty setting option from the get go.

2. DexNav, Vs Seeker, Medal Rally, Secret Bases PWT (c'mon, ladder style tournament is Pokemon's bread and butter) all come back but under a different guise with expanded or slightly altered QoL quirks.

3. Grand adventure. Don't care if it's open world but I do want to through a region that was brimming with secrets to find and things to do. Going off the beaten path making mistakes and discovering new things is part of the spice of life.
3b. While the strategic placements of healers put in Gen V will remain, they will be less in number (only placed before a boss fight or a proof of midpoint progression) in favor of returning to days when the game HATED you. You get poisoned, you better carry those antidotes, boy.

4. Like the Pokemon, the Player can give their PC a nature which affects their dialogue tree and how (mostly major and quest giving) NPCs react to them. The natures would most likely be grouped into categories if GF is anything to go by with the extremity flavor altering depending the Nature chosen.
Yes, a trainer with a Docile nature at the start CAN move into a more heroic category as time goes on depending on their behavior.

5. While bonds still play a large theme the story is ultimately about becoming the greatest you: What is strength? What does it mean to be "the best"? Just what is the acceptable way to become stronger and what's considered crossing the line? Humans, Pokemon, each individual you come across has a story and justice that aligns or clashes with yours.
Will you accept each one or...
5b. To really slather this, while Vs Seeker exists, there will be an additional feature in this game's device that allows the player to register various NPC trainers (generic or named) and other players to their "battle constellation". Certain "stars" will shine brighter than most, be larger than the rest and given your actions named characters can sever ties with you (a couple do it for plot reasons) but such is the consequence and beauty of life and sharing it with others.
As much as I would like to separate the in-game "battle constellation" from the player-to-player one, it feels like it would cheapen the aspect if it was.

6. There will be an NPC who is a world traveler who would share the great points and bits of lore of past regions. Yes, GF, lands other than Kanto existed. If I had it my way the traveler would be pretty nonchalant about the place and even say: "Kanto was... Eh, the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town was a trip."
Said NPC would later be the one responsible for handing the PC maps to whatever dl location there may be and more importantly take them to the post-game facility.
6b. Battle Frontier makes its triumphant return with facilities from both Emerald and Platinum and some new ones as well. However, taking a nod from Colosseum's progression style and grants the player the chance to rematch if defeated by a non Brain. Lose to a Brain and you gotta start from scratch. You acquire continue tickets by how well you fought (clean sweep, meeting certain battle prerequisites, etc)

7. Full on wish fulfillment plot: -Main antagonist is not some damn criminal group but of pro trainers disgusted with the current league ruling and aim to overthrow them. The head of said group is the PC's mentor. PC is very much in denial about mentor and his core members (who are also on fair terms with PC) actions for a good chunk piece of the game and creates quite a bit of problems for them with others.
Of course, the PC and their Pokemon HAVE to fight against them in the end (deep end involving legendary which only cares for whoever is strongest and corrupts their minds). But it's more about one's personal justice than joining the ideals of the opposing factions.
- Four key rivals: The first rival isn't so much a rival but your apprentice you meet early in the game after they were being bullied by some trainers. They're the most frequent travel partner and, while becomes upset with your denial and refusal to take a side also admires it, giving them the courage to go off on their own to form their own small group of like minded trainers who simple "want to enjoy their adventures with their Pokemon friends and will fight to keep that pure dream".
They demand a full battle before you go up against your mentor and his newly placed E4 to test if you're truly ready. When everything is said and done, they apologize and hope you can become one day stand as equals.
They're humbled by you if you are one with a open-minded demeanor but can become "a bit clingy" if you are one with a heroic-nature.
- Rival 2 starts out as someone interested in you're style. They're friendly and cool (get on very well if you're one with an equally airy-natured category) but dislike sharing the spotlight. They aim to become champ to show the world (well everyone in the region anyway) that they are the star that shines the brightest.
They become increasingly jealous of you as you and you're team are forced to show off more of your battle prowess and the big reveal about your ties to your mentor set the antagonism in stone. While never cruel to their Pokemon, they were more likened to extras in their grand performance. Play your cards wrong and their mad desire to usurp everything may force them to cross lines...
- Rival 3 never liked you and starts out antagonistic (power is everything, stop having fun guy type). They're really nasty to you if you're more in the introvert category. But after some slices of humble pie all around they begin to mellow out and reevaluate themselves as a trainer. Depending on your actions, Rival 3 can become a powerful (though probably begrudging) ally who aids you when you truly need it or dive deeper into their doubt and disappear from the battle scene...
- Rival 4 is technically your mentor and the antagonist of the game. He is, the very definition of "the Ace". Charismatic, smart, a natural leader. They took you and your starter under his wing when you two were fumbling around worse than even the most novice of novice trainers/poke partner teams.
You traveled around with them, learned much from them, met his friends and even laughed and shared dreams of the future. He's your hero, your goal. The champ may be the champ but you're mentor? He was the star that roared the brightest!
You promised him you'd and your starter would get strong enough to one day challenge him and his [insert final form name of starter you choose here] one day. Of course, he was off to do some training before trying his hand at the league (and that frivolous present champion) again.
When you met again some months later, you can tell he and [insert final form name of starter you choose here] changed. They were more laser-focused and stronger sure but also...colder? They were probably just steamed about the loss. The champ is known to be pretty narcissistic and erratic but...
The face of the League is a lie...?

Ah, *Ahem* sorry about that.

Last edited:
I just forgot to say this above: NO TRADE BASED EVOLUTIONS.

I can never use some of my favourite Pokémon like Gengar or Steelix or Kingdra when I am replaying an earlier game because of that.

Who am I supposed to trade with in a Gen III, IV or V game now? Explain, GF.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom