• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Ideal Pokemon Game

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you a Pokemon game I would easily throw $100 dollars at.

Pokemon:
  • Tons of new Pokemon. No older Pokemon till post-game, then they are available. It's weird. I used to hate the idea of not having older Pokemon readily available to me in a Pokemon game (it was the very reason I skied BW and just got BW2). But after playing through both Pokemon Sun and Moon only using Pokemon from generation 7 (this included regional variants), I came to really like the idea of it. Speaking of regional variants, the only old Pokemon that can be in the main game, have to have variants.
  • Maybe make it like 120-130 new pokemon and 30-40 regional variants
  • Quadrupedal fully evolved starters (not all of them, mostly the fire one for me). At least one. It's been two generations since we've got this. I honestly felt like Incineroar, and Braixen/Delphox would have made more sense on 4 legs. Heck, I would be completely fine with another fire/fighting starter, if they put him on four legs. Now if you make it a Pokemon that actually makes sense standing on two legs, then that's fine. But cats on two legs.... not fine.
  • Another trio of legendaries. the past two gens kind of fuffiled the box legendary and trio of legendaries with one set of legendaries, and while I guess that was fine, I would love to see a true trio of legendary Pokemon, like Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres, or Entei, Raikou, and Suicune.
Region:
  • A beautiful mountainous region, chalk full of beautiful pine tree forests and snowy peaks. One of my favorite vacation spots is Lake Tahoe, a beautiful mountainous area in Northern California. When I'm there, I am more relaxed than I am anywhere else. It's probably my favorite place in the U.S. (granted, I haven't done a lot of traveling). Mahogany town and the lake of Rage in Johto totally give me Lake Tahoe vibes. So that's what I want for my region, but all over.
Mechanics:
  • Extensive trainer customization. No game specific colors and a lot of variety in choices for clothes and hair. Also, both genders should be really fleshed out. I always feel like the guys ave less options.
  • All the methods for shiny hunting and ability finding. Pokeradar, SOS hunting, Dex Nav. These were really fun ways to hunt shinies with, and while I was only ever successful with SOS hunting, I'd love to try more Dex Nav stuff. Speaking of shinies, some poemon have like, really similar shiny forms to their normal ones, so maybe if a Pokemon is shiny, there can be a little star thing by the name of the pokemon, when encountering it in the wild
  • A difficulty setting at the start of the game. Just make some levels higher and NPC's use smarter tactics. Honestly, I don't think I'd use this feature too much, but just putting it in there.
  • A true nuzlocke option. If a Pokemon faints, it dies, and it will be immediately sent to a special box in the p.C, where you can not go back and grab it, it will forever remain there. The game will only allow you to catch the first Pokemon on a route, and it will recognize if you have caught the Pokemon, or a previous evolution of it before, and will allow you to try and catch another one. This isn't a needed thing, but it would be cool.
  • Trainer rematches. Anytime throughout the game, you can go back and fight a trainer, and there levels will be around that of yours.
  • The same experience share from XY and SM. I've never had a problem with this experience share. I like it. Keep it.
  • First Pokemon in your party follows you around everywhere. You can turn of this feature if you don't like it.
  • Pokeride is still a thing, but you don't have to wear those ridiculous costumes, and you can use your own Pokemon.
  • Being able to take pictures with your team of Pokemon, like in HGSS. I really liked seeing m team grow through the pictures I took.
Gyms and Elite 4 + Champion:
  • Yes, gyms are back. Fully fleshed out and everything with great characters as the gym leaders, and really fleshed out puzzles and mechanics to get through them. I don't have too much of a preference to what types they have, but I would like to see another gym where you can choose the gym leader you fight. Or, you have to fight two different gym leaders (you can heal with items in between them), but if you don't beat them both, you don't get the badge. This could be the seventh or eight gym. It could be used as a practice thing for the elite 4.
  • Also, maybe have a gym challenge similar to Jasmine, where you help them out with something, and then you don't real face any trainers in the gym.
  • Champion is like many of the champions before, watching you go along your journey.
  • Once you become the champion, you can accept challengers and fight tem. And if you want to do this, you don't have to fight the elite 4 again. But, if the challenger wins, you have to go through the elite 4 again, and challenge the champion once more.
Characters and Story
  • A fleshed out story with good pacing and lots of surprises.
  • A true rival with the starter that is strong against your own and everything. Gladion was a breath of fresh air, and I would not mind another character like him. Also, there only has to be one rival.
  • Evil Teams. Yep, I want a Team Magma and Aqua 2.0, but like they were in Emerald. Of course it's not Team Aqua and Magma themselves, but with teams like it. Make it seem like they are the real baddies, but at the end have another villain emerge (this one doesn't have to have a full team or anything, it can be just them.), and you end up having to team up with the leaders of the two evil teams to stop it.

That's the most wish-fufillment list I could make for myself. Gosh that took like an hour.

Last edited:
I think it would be cool to have an unswitchable trainer class to choose from. The trainer class would give you in-game bonuses and amplify your ability to use certain strategies or types of Pokemon. This would be tied in to the battle system in a way that prevented trading for all of the best stuff. So you would need to pick your class according to what you liked. For instance, one of the classes would help grass type Pokemon and give them a certain move or item that would be untradeable to someone else. You would get bonuses in game to raise grass types fastest, hatch grass types faster, and so on. There would be other non-type oriented classes like fisher, hiker, or breeder that would give whatever benefit that fits the class. This would add more variety to battling and possibly balance out the types or specific Pokemon a bit more.

I can agree that having trainer 'classes' could bring some new variety -- but only if you're not permanently locked into it. Remember how nobody used TMs prior to Gen V because they disappeared after use?

Explain, GF.

Well from their point of view, the death knell for those games has long-since sounded. Replaying old games that you already own gives them nothing they didn't already get, so their focus is on the newest games and getting people to play those. They don't have a very compelling reason to maintain support for the older games just because you can't get a Gengar. If you didn't get one from those games when they were the active generation, then ideally what you'll do is pay for the new games and get a Gengar there. The inability to still obtain one in an outdated, unsupported game would be categorized as a minor inconvenience at best.

Edit: idk why I put Gliscor instead of Gengar

My ideal game:

Put storytelling quality above everything else first. Technology can wait. I don't care if they go back to pixels and sprites instead of 3D models. If the game has an engaging story, then a lot can be forgiven. If storytelling fails, especially if the main storyline fails to be fascinating, the game won't be impressive (at least for me). There's a reason books with great stories are picked up again and again, and are talked about years after its initial publication; I see games as no different - especially if it has the potential to have good story (and proved it before).
  • Memorable characters with plenty of depth. Good if they develop over time. This includes pokemon.
  • A solid story with all four steps in composition. An introduction that piques the player's interest, a development where players collect information and starts getting involved in the main plot, a climax with a twist that makes our palms sweaty and eager to continue with excitement, and a resolution that wraps up the story nicely. BW may have a lot of flaws, but it has definitely given us a wonderful story from beginning to end.
  • Regional lores and/or background information should be used efficiently so places don't feel gimmicky or "just there for the sake of being there."
Basically, there's always gotta be that "Wow, I wonder what's gonna happen next?", "I can't wait to see how this plays out!", "I really gotta discuss this!" feels. I've mentioned this before, but it is certainly satisfying to be immersed in a really good story that makes you willing to stick to it nonstop just to see how it is going to finish.

One thing that I forgot from my ideal game. Put back the quick bar at the bottom of the touch screen. I forgot how darn convenient that was.

So... Basically, just my own wishes, not taking into account practicality (in some cases)! Can do.

1. Open world, fully-3D region.
Like Breath of the Wild's Hyrule, and on that same scale. Obviously many more towns/cities than BOTW (unlike BoTW, this game would not be set after a disaster or anything), but Pokemon is supposed to be an adventure, so expansive areas of wilderness are something I'd like to see as well. The game can still be somewhat linear overall, guiding you to certain gyms over others first, but I just think everything should be much more expansive.

The region would be very busy, and alive, with lots of sidequests. Reminiscent of Majora's Mask.

The graphics would be on BoTW's level, too. No more baby steps, GameFreak!

2. The Region. A region set in one of these areas: Scandinavia, Western Europe (aside from France, of course!), or Greece

3. Multiple difficulty levels. Generation VII is indicative of how necessary this is. They tried to make the games harder by introducing EV/IV trained Pokemon. I'm fine with that... but only, and I really do mean ONLY, if there are difficulty levels and the lower levels do not have that. As a casual Pokemon gamer, I don't want EV/IV trained Pokemon in the main-game. That should never be expected from everyone. It's too much time, effort, knowledge to expect from everyone, and it is also a way of playing the game I don't want to take part in.

With that said, these difficulty levels would be wide-reaching and would cover a lot. So the highest difficulty level before EV/IV trained Pokemon were introduced would have trainers and Pokemon gyms with larger amounts of Pokemon and a higher AI. I think EV/IV training is just so off the charts that we should get difficulty in other areas without being expected to do that.

4. Greater diversity. If the option to fight or just even run into Kanto's champion appeared, there would be a method from which it is chosen whether that individual is Leaf or Red. For sure, the game should not ONLY feature Kanto's champion, we should see champions from other regions as well, and their gender should be chosen by the player, as well. Some others have suggested a female professor, and I agree with that!

5. OST
on par with the early generations/generation VI with a fully live orchestrated OST

6. Regional Variants
can return, but they need to be mostly from regions other than Kanto. No more Generation I pandering. None at all. The only Generation I Regional Variant I want is a Ponyta/Rapidash with a rainbow mane. =P And I want that really bad.

7. Rival. The return of a more mean, villainous rival would be welcome!

8. National Dex, DexNav, Trainer's Eyes - All of these features would be present. In addition to Trainer's Eyes, there would be some trainers who are actually seen traveling through the region and progress.

9. Secret bases would make a kind of return, but would be in vacant houses scattered throughout the region instead of caves, trees, etc.

10. Poke-Amie would return, with improvement. Following Pokemon would return but would be optional.

11. Trainer customization not only retained (it better be!) but also taken to further levels. Sun/Moon were just too limited.

12. Time. Day/Night system is utilized more properly in the vein of Gold/Silver/Crystal. Like day bird Pokemon would not appear during the night, or would be incredibly rare. Events on certain weekdays would return. Seasons would return, but would happen with real life seasons like in Animal Crossing. To be fair, although Pokemon appearance would lightly based off of Seasons, the vast majority available in the game would still be available year around. Like Ice Pokemon would appear more regularly during the winter, but the vast majority of them could still be found on a mountain.

Weather should also be variable and effect Pokemon appearing. Winter would not always be snow like it is in pretty much every game that tries to represent seasons. There would be periods of winter without snow, areas that never get snow, etc.

When I said my ideas might not be practical, this is what I was talking about... Lol. It's probably too indepth for a Pokemon game, but a girl can dream.

Let's see:
-Over 100 new Pokemon and some regional variants coming from another region other than Kanto would be welcome.
-Chosing difficulty just like B2W2 had but I would also like to see a more advanced AI and actual strategy from the opponents and not mainly just higher leveled Pokemon.
-Horde battles returning which will probably happen now that the next games won't suffer from hardware limitations and no SOS battles.
-A well-written story involving characters with depth like N and Lillie from BW and SM/USUM respectively.
-Vs. Seeker reappearing since I always liked rematches and seeing new captures coming from those trainers.
-PokePelago staying or a similar feature to it being around. It's way better to harvest berries, look for rare items and especially hatch eggs that way.
-PWT or Battle Frontier for post-game.
-Part of the region should be available only post game with many sidequests and other Pokemon species which were unavailable before.
-More extensive character customization plus a more expressive MC instead of just smiling all the time.
-A rival who starts as a friend but becomes hostile as the game progresses because of MC's actions in the story and probably joins the villain team as well during the story.
-A region based on a country with a large cultural background.
-Voice acting would be a nice addition especially if the game is going to have a large script.
-Pokemon-Amie returning as well.

A game that gives me more agency, with optional routes and lots of post game focused on exploration. Doesn't need to be full open world, but i just want less handholding. A game that's not so dumbed down, and less childish, pretty much like the pre 3ds games.

If Game freak think that children can't use their brains today, so difficulty settings and age customization would be the perfect solution to appeal the different age targets.

Last edited:
There is a type of game that'd be perfect for me but I doubt they'll ever make it. If they will, though, it will restore my face in humanity.
I want a game that:

-Gives us a very engaging story with many twists, possibly even alternative endings
-Has trainer classes, each with their own strong points and weaknesses
-Allows my character to fall in love\become friends with game characters and travel with them, becoming their battle partner forever
-Allows interaction between Pokemon. Pokemon now can befriend other pokemon, develop a rivalry with them. You may witness your pokemon becoming a rival of the pokemon of opposing trainer! Or fall in love with them, which would be hilarious!
-Gives us all-new pokemon in each new installment
-Gives us a region that is vast. In fact, it's a double region. Or even triple region.
-Has a truly scary evil team capable of unimaginable evil.
-Has difficulty through the roof (There is a reason for making friends - to make your difficult road easier)
-Has gyms in difficult-to-reach places. I have always found obvious gyms boring. I want gyms to be SEPARATED from towns and placed in mysterious places. In fact, I don't want them to be called "gyms" but they aren't "trials" either (trials felt too impersonal, I felt like I am hunting rather than duelling). I want them to be called "duels". Because that what they are.
-Has mysterious, badass and serious "gym leaders" (or "duel challengers"). I am tired of non-badass characters like Lana, Mallow and other kids. There should be mostly adult "gym leaders".
-Gives us more unexplored typings like fighting/fairy or dark/fairy. No more overrepresented types like normal/flying! NO MORE.
-Makes Pokemon designs seem LESS like animals and more like mythical creatures. I feel there is too much realism in design lately and it's one of the reasons they aren't creative enough with the typings.
-Gives us cool and interesting early game with MC's hometown being surrounded with beautiful nature and unique pokemon, not the same old bug, normal and normal/flying types as usual. God, early game Pokémon are annoying in their blandness.
-Has postgame with tons of things to explore, even story-wise, not just fighting

• Engaging story and characters.
  • Free or very cheap DLC with additional story. Basically, the Looker&Emma or Delta Episode, only more of it, released constantly throughout the lifetime of the game. This would exist instead of a third version.
  • At least 120 new Pokemon. New Pokemon are the only or the majority of what you can find prior to beating the game. After beating the game, every old non-legendary should be available (version exclusives are acceptable, straight-up ignoring some Pokemon's existence is not).
  • New evolutions and pre-evolutions of existing Pokemon.
  • Character customization. More hair styles and colors, more clothing choices. Clothing is gender-neutral.
    • Players should be able to design clothing and hairstyles which can be added as DLC. There would probably have to be a separate website for this.
  • Secret bases
  • Contests
  • Riding Pokemon
  • Walking Pokemon
  • N E W G A M E P L U S
    • New game plus would reset the story mode, with Pokemon already caught in the previous play-through stored in invisible and inaccessible PC boxes until the Elite Four are defeated. Mystery Gift and event Pokemon/items would also be kept.

I agree with Meta Boss I dislike the trade/item evolutions because of this. That said I remember not knowing Haunter would evolve if traded. I was ahead of my bestie in terms of game progress so when I caught, trained and traded her a Haunter that I’d caught to her her out it was a true OMG moment.

After my bestie who is still my bestie to this day grew out of the games her Mother gave me her old OG Game Boy. I’ve had two of every handled since then to make it easy to trade and farm one off items.

My ideal Pokémon game would pretty much be what I hope the rumoured “Pokémon Let's Go” turns out to be. I’ve always wanted an Eevee version as (I will refer to Eevee as she as my in my cannon she is female). I’ve always wanted the Yellow follower system in more games and I’ve always wanted to be able to return to Kanto and be able to play it on the TV. I have an add on for my GameCube that allows this with the GBA games.

I did at one point think a World of Pokécraft type MMO would be amazing as Warcraft is the only non-Nintendo game that captured by heart. That said I got sick playing WoW too much and a Pokémon MMO would likely kill me.

Lil x

Edit:

Although I doubt it will ever happen I’d like all legendary Pokémon and or special event Pokemon to be made available in the base game or in DLC even if they were split across the two versions. As someone who lived six hours away from the nearest participating store and had very poor rural wifi I never got the chance to get any until I was much older.

Last edited:
These are some random things I want in no particular order.

Character Creation
- 2 to 4 selectable age ranges for self/character. We'll say 10 to 12, 13 to 15, 16 to 18, and 19 to 21, at most.
- Character "nature" and "style" to, along with age, determine character text and choices available. (I.e. a Rash Sporty character would have different choices than a Lax Bookish one)
- Better/actual character expressions based on personality chosen.
- Character trainer classes/Aspirations, each with certain bonuses. Can switch classes/goals, but probably limited to once a day at most.
-Unlockable/DLC of existing character outfits with the chance of a random NPC mistaking you for or recognizing the basis of the outfit.

Gameplay stuff
-Stay at home dad and/or secret champion mother
-More impactful choices (aka choices that actually somewhat matter and are not purely superficial dialogue. They don't even have to be major.)
-Bring back seasons
-Better weather system
-Either new/different pokeballs or bring back apricorns
-More diversity in terms of NPCs. Have trainer classes be able to be different ethnicities/skin tones. (Not all swimmers to be white and blonde, for example)

Pokemon
-More evos, prevos, and alternative/regional forms.
-Ample new pokemon
-Pokemon following, but optional I guess. Give more interactions. At least be able to pet/assure your pokemon in the overworld.
-Pokemon accessories or variations? Something to make your pokemon a little more unique.
-More overworld pokemon, including wild/catchable ones and little sidequest ones (like healing a sick oddish you find in sitting somewhere.)
-More ways to obtain pokemon, like treating said sick oddish (at a random percentage will it want to join you) or convincing another trainer's abandoned pokemon to join you over the course of a few interactions. (Making this all optional for people who don't want it)
-Bring back the concept of super training. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but to function similarly.

Randomness
-I'd love to see them tackle some part of Africa, South America, or Australia for a region. Bring us something fresh.
-Really random, but I'd like a post-game egg crane game or gatchapon that you can do once a day.

My ideal Pokemon game features:

• A story on-pair with Sun & Moon/BW, with the bright and vibrant colors of earlier generations. IVs do not exist (all Pokemon now have 31 IVs by default, so if you transfer one from an earlier game, it just gets set to this) and the character customization is more extensive, allowing you to be an older trainer if you please.

• I don't really care how many new Pokemon get introduced, if I'm honest, but I would like to see a very small number of Legendaries, as I feel too much focus is being put on them lately. Six at the maximum.

• Your Pokemon follow you, and you can ride anyone that makes logical sense to ride.

• BP is no longer necessary to get certain TMs/Move Tutors. Instead of grinding repetitively, over and over again, you can just find them on the overworld or by beating a single boss trainer or something. (Separate from a Gym leader.)

• Poke Pelago and Pokemon Refresh remain intact.

• The return of Mega Evolutions. And more regional variants for non-Kanto Pokemon.

• Bring back that Latias flying thing from ORAS, except with any of the Pokemon you have on hand that it makes sense to ride on. It reminded me so much of having an airship in classic Final Fantasy. I loved it.

• A major boss battle that is not a Pokemon or something you can catch. I was quite excited for this with the Ultra Beasts (and Lusamine), but alas, that was not so. I want to battle a powerful and mysterious being that is beyond comprehension, so powerful that no mere human can stuff it into a Pokeball. It has far more HP than is possible for your Pokemon to have, and will require your entire team to properly take down.

• This might be a little too difficult though, so difficulty levels can make it more manageable.

• Simplification of evolution methods, and removal of unnecessary elements. What do I mean by this? Well, for instance, I'd like to see them scrap Leafeon's current evo method and just have it evolve with a Leaf Stone, like what makes actual sense.

• NIDOQUEEN AND NIDORINA CAN BREED. Seriously, why is this not a thing?

• Kangaskhan's baby is an actual Pokemon now, and all eggs it lays hatch into this.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more. I don't really want to make any huge or grand changes to Pokemon, I just kind of desire a lot of the older things that got scrapped to all be combined into a single game, and for there to be a bit more of a serious tone and story going on.

Last edited:
My ideal Pokemon game would be:

• Pokemon following you around, this feature should've stayed. The only valid reasons why I think it didn't stay are that in Gen 5, so many sprites had to be made and that Gen 6 and 7 being that the 3DS couldn't handle it.
  • An ability that cancels out temporary transformations, I can't be the only one who wants something like this. This would finally force the metagame to shift away from Mega Evolutions just enough for it to stay as a presence, but not as an extremely common occurrence.
  • Pokemon fusion! I finally get to talk about this and how it would work. Basically, it would be the same way Kyurem and Necrozma in which fusion is handled. The catch here is that both Pokemon must be fully evolved for this to happen. I'm guessing this would be a mechanic done on the same generation in which a Gen 5 remake is made. The item in which to fuse would be universal, it isn't the DNA Splicers. However it would be used with the DNA Splicers as a way to get the Original Dragon. Not every Pokemon can fuse though, that's the limitation of this mechanic.
  • Nidorina and Nidoqueen are finally able to breed, this should've been fixed a long time ago.
  • No more casualization, we need the games to stop taking it easy on the players.
  • Pokemon Contest, this feature had such a charm to it in the Gen 4 games, it would be great if this returned.

Gen 7 with real 8 gyms , league and trials would have been my perfect game.
I would add some more new abilities and moves probably and used old good ones with more pokemon like Queenly majesty with Vespiquenn, Dazzling or Bulletproof with Aurorus and such examples.

I would make this thing a real move :

Air Lens: the pokemon heats the air around its arms, repelling any type of electrical attack for some turns as a move.
Magmar in gym 7 Kanto.

or maybe make Beak Blast also have this effect when beeing used in the same turn?
then Magmar could get it too.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom