• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your LEAST favorite Pokemon game

Alexg23

#TeamScorbunny
Reaction score
Everything has a bad side, and Pokemon is no exception. Is there any Pokemon game that you just did not like? (or do you think this is just blasphemy?) The only rule is that you have to have played the game, so in that case I don't have one, but if I did, it would be Pokédex 3D Pro. Why is this a thing, it's not really even a game. :conangry:

Well, I enjoy all of the games, really, but if I had to say my least favorite?
Probably Kanto, of course. xD. Sorry to all you Kanto fans out there, but it was just...boring. Well, when I played Leafgreen, that is. There just wasn't enough for me. :p
Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.
So, I guess my answer is all of the Kanto-based games. o3o.

Probably the Johto games~

I had fun playing them, but compared to other games, they're just pretty dull. Playing them is difficult in itself due to how hard it is to grind after a certain point and all the Pokemon seem to be at Lv15 while you are in your Lv30s. Plus, Johto didn't do it for me due to them shoehorning Kanto into the post-game, making Johto basically feel like an extension of Kanto, rather than it's own place, which upsets me, as I actually really like the Johto region otherwise. Finally, the plot wasn't very good. Same evil team from the last games and all they want to do is give a shout-out to Giovanni on the radio? That's the big scheme? If people thought Magma and Aqua's plans had some flaws, Johto Team Rocket easily beats both of them.

Plus, what's up with the box legendaries having virtually no bearing on the plot? Crystal and HGSS improved this a bit, but still, Ho-oh and Lugia contribute nothing to the story whatsoever, which is a shame, as they probably have some of the coolest legends and lore out there, with even NPCs in Sinnoh talking about them. And yet...they're pretty much no different than post-game legendaries in their debut games.

So, I have to say Johto's games~

Probably maybe My Pokémon Ranch. Yes, i've played it. It kinda sucks. It's my least favorite. I still like the idea, and some other things, but other than that, it sucks.

For me it would be a tie between Pokémon Rumble Blast and Gates to Infinity. Both of their stories were utterly confusing and boring for me. Not to mention Rumble Blast's gameplay and certain missions (like that group charge thing) were really annoying at times. GTI was okay in terms of a Mystery Dungeon game gameplay wise, but I just couldn't stay interested in the actual plot. Also, the pitifully small amount of Pokémon available just really turned me off, and those little things to do in Paradise didn't interest me at all and barely bothered to do any of it.

Pokemon Rumble Blast. Laaaame. The only good thing about it was that it utilized the 3D function pretty well. Otherwise, its weak "plot" and limited postgame stuff made it boring and kind of pointless. Also. while I haven't played it, my friend gave me feedback on Gates to Infinity. Sounds like that game screwed over a great spin-off series with cheesy themes and a giant snowflake (what the actual f**k) as the final boss.

I agree with the sentiments about Kanto and Johto above. In terms of environments and story, they aren't very good. Too bad, since they've got the lore.

Pokémon Conquest. I can't exactly say why I don't like it, but there's just something about its game play that I don't exactly like. I've enjoyed some strategy RPGs in the past, but not really this one.

Also anything with Mt. Coronet is pretty low on the list, as well.

Well, for me it would have to be…

Rumble Blast.

Weird story(if you can even call it a story), no endgame content(you expect me to be done with the game?).

I liked the original Rumble better.

Let's just not talk about Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Sidegames aside... probably Diamond and Pearl. Boring region, awkward graphics, boring pokemon, boring story. Bleh. (That said, Platinum is one of my favorite games -- it fixed all the bad stuff with DP. So if you like Sinnoh it is ok i understand you)

I'm in between Kanto and Hoenn for my least favorite games. Being that I'm not blinded by nostalgia I found Kanto to be really dull. With Hoenn I just hated all the gym leaders and elite four. None of them were memorable, and under no circumstances should I be able to destroy the elite four with one starter Pokemon, even if my Swampert was lovely.

Gold/Silver, just not a fan of gen 2 really. Levels too low, nothing in Kanto

X and Y, seriously, after Red and Blue they are the most lackluster and some of my least favorite games by far (Good graphics but at the cost of neglecting everything else), also Team Flare can die in a flood for all I care because they add nothing to the game at all, and are only there to be Johnny Bravo knock-off annoyances to the main protagonists of the game itself.

Additionally, the story and characters felt rushed and were terribly handled for X and Y, and the post-game: pitiful, absolutely frigging pitiful.

Black 2/White 2. I really don't like most of the 5th gen Pokemon to begin with but I'll admit that the original Black and White games had an interesting plot. The sequels however did not in my opinion. Sure it had more post-game content than Black & White but the lackluster story didn't do much for me other than tie up a few loose ends from the original B&W games.

Probably the Johto games~

I had fun playing them, but compared to other games, they're just pretty dull. Playing them is difficult in itself due to how hard it is to grind after a certain point and all the Pokemon seem to be at Lv15 while you are in your Lv30s. Plus, Johto didn't do it for me due to them shoehorning Kanto into the post-game, making Johto basically feel like an extension of Kanto, rather than it's own place, which upsets me, as I actually really like the Johto region otherwise. Finally, the plot wasn't very good. Same evil team from the last games and all they want to do is give a shout-out to Giovanni on the radio? That's the big scheme? If people thought Magma and Aqua's plans had some flaws, Johto Team Rocket easily beats both of them.

Plus, what's up with the box legendaries having virtually no bearing on the plot? Crystal and HGSS improved this a bit, but still, Ho-oh and Lugia contribute nothing to the story whatsoever, which is a shame, as they probably have some of the coolest legends and lore out there, with even NPCs in Sinnoh talking about them. And yet...they're pretty much no different than post-game legendaries in their debut games.

So, I have to say Johto's games~

This--at least, if we're talking main series. Overall, Pokemon Ranger always bored me. OR B2W2, what a poor excuse for a sequel.

My least favorite was probably Gold/Silver. I played a copy of Silver, and it was awful. They took away the old legendaries, and Kanto was boring. Thankfully HGSS fixed a lot of the problems of the originals.

I'd probably have to say Hey You! Pikachu! or Gates to Infinity. The thing that bothers me about Hey You! Pikachu! is that all you do is walk while Pikachu gets all the good stuff. As for GTI, I wasn't bothered a lot by the slightly odd story. No, what bothered me the most was the horrible pacing, lack of postgame content, the simplicity of the little bit of content they DID add (beat the Ultimate Dungeon 1st try), and the horrible dungeon generation. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to change that? Having been a HUGE Mystery Dungeon fan since the originals, I must say that I was very disappointed when I realized that I was walking through twisting hallways 90% of the time. No large rooms, no big spaces for deadly monster houses. Just hallways. HALLWAYS.

The original Pokemon Ranger. That game had such a high difficulty, that it completely frustrated me for years. Eventually I finally beat the game, and vowed never to play it again.

For me it's a tie between FRLG, RS, HGSS, and DP.

FireRed and LeafGreen had a lot of potential and unfortunately Game Freak squandered almost every bit of it. Remakes gave them the chance to improve upon the original Red & Blue and do something new. Unfortunately it wasn't an improvement and did almost nothing new. It followed the same boring story Despite there being 386 Pokemon at the time of release, Game Freak decided FRLG had to stick with the original 151. You couldn't even evolve Pokemon that were in the National Dex. The only saving grace to the game was the introduction of the Sevii Islands.

Ruby and Sapphire were terrible because they were nothing more than betas for Emerald.

HGSS were bad because again like FRLG they didn't improve upon the originals. That's the whole point of remakes. Team Rocket had the dumbest plot, the PokeDex largely restricted you to what the original was, and just wasn't all that interesting of a game. It didn't rectify any of the problems the original had like Chikorita's disadvantage against the Gym Leaders and early trainers and Totodile still learning Special water moves.

I don't like Diamond and Pearl for largely the same reasons as Ruby & Sapphire. They were nothing more than betas for Platinum. The games had the worst pokedex yet. Game Freak got seriously lazy with it. They didn't bother creating enough Ice types for Candice so they gave her a Medicham instead of creating one more. Volkner had the same problem. He only had two Electric types, Luxray and Raichu. His other two are an Ambipom and a freaking Octillery for some reason. I really don't understand why Game Freak didn't bother creating more Pokemon if they knew they didn't have enough for certain types.

I'm in between Kanto and Hoenn for my least favorite games. Being that I'm not blinded by nostalgia I found Kanto to be really dull. With Hoenn I just hated all the gym leaders and elite four. None of them were memorable, and under no circumstances should I be able to destroy the elite four with one starter Pokemon, even if my Swampert was lovely.

High difficulty is actually what I like about Hoenn

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom