• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your LEAST favorite Pokemon game

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl by far. I have my beefs with other games and Generations (Pair Generations in particular), but even with their negative points, at the very least the games play well and are functional. Diamond/Pearl were barely functional and felt like a huge drag. The frame rate was really slow compared to Gen 3. The battles were horribly slow and there was no way to speed them up. You drop off your Bike in gates, which hadn't happened since Gen 1. Surfing is even slower than normal walking. The game is just slow as hell and it really drags, making it really daunting to deal with it.

Also, it was the first game in the series to drop major features from the previous Gen's 3rd Versions to save them for its own 3rd Version as a cheap selling point. Back then that was a huge letdown that soiled the games even further. The very small variety in Pokémon during the game was also awful. I don't mind that this forced them to give Candice, Volkner and the Elite Four multi-type Teams though. In fact that was one of the very few things this game brought to the table and gave me hopes that they would drop the monotype trend once and for all, but alas, it was only a tease.

The Pokétch, Wi-Fi features, the slight shift away from monotypes (Even if temporary), the Physical/Special split, and the many great Moves were really good and welcome additions, but unfortunately the game plays like crap and it's really difficult to keep playing it. After Platinum I sold these games and don't want to ever play them again.

Main series? Diamond and Pearl would have to be my least favorites (Despite loving Platinum).

The original Pokemon Ranger was really bad. The concept was good, but the story was short was weird. Having to circle the Pokemon X time in a row was annoying, if not totally evil. It usually took me 10 - 20 minutes to beat a boss. By that time I was sick of drawing circles on my DS screen.

I'd probably have to say Hey You! Pikachu! or Gates to Infinity. The thing that bothers me about Hey You! Pikachu! is that all you do is walk while Pikachu gets all the good stuff. As for GTI, I wasn't bothered a lot by the slightly odd story. No, what bothered me the most was the horrible pacing, lack of postgame content, the simplicity of the little bit of content they DID add (beat the Ultimate Dungeon 1st try), and the horrible dungeon generation. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to change that? Having been a HUGE Mystery Dungeon fan since the originals, I must say that I was very disappointed when I realized that I was walking through twisting hallways 90% of the time. No large rooms, no big spaces for deadly monster houses. Just hallways. HALLWAYS.

I agree with you completely. PMD is my favorite of all the Pokemon spin-offs, so much so that I am currently playing all 3 games at the same time--replaying RRT and EOT, playing GTI for my first time. I'm not finished with GTI yet, but I'm getting close and it seems that right when the excitement has just started it's going to end. I mean, most of the game I kept wondering when the story was gonna start getting good and now that it finally has it appears it's almost over. The whole story is too short, and I agree with you about the twisting hallways. >.< Also, you keep seeing the same Pokemon over and over in dungeons until you're near the end. I don't hate GTI, but I don't love it either.

The original Pokemon Ranger was really bad. The concept was good, but the story was short was weird. Having to circle the Pokemon X time in a row was annoying, if not totally evil. It usually took me 10 - 20 minutes to beat a boss. By that time I was sick of drawing circles on my DS screen.

I've never beat it because it's just so boring. Is it actually worth trying to finish or should I go ahead and get rid of it, do you think?

The original Pokemon Ranger. This was so difficult that I quit and never finished it.

From the main games, I'd say RBGY, and FRLG. But it's probably because I played the Gen 1 games, like, a thousand times when I was a kid that I can play it with my eyes closed. Really boring.

The original Pokemon Ranger. This was so difficult that I quit and never finished it.

The original Pokemon Ranger. That game had such a high difficulty, that it completely frustrated me for years. Eventually I finally beat the game, and vowed never to play it again.

Ok, I get it, you people hate Pokemon Ranger! Stop, please!

I'm not finished with GTI yet, but I'm getting close and it seems that right when the excitement has just started it's going to end. I mean, most of the game I kept wondering when the story was gonna start getting good and now that it finally has it appears it's almost over. The whole story is too short

No it's not! PMD games always have long stories and GTI is no extsion, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

For me, any games outside the main series, the ranger series and Pokemon Snap are borderline unplayable. Maybe it's not so much that the games are terrible but more the fact that my fondness and enjoyment for pokemon is so entrenched in the main series that anything else (other than the aforementioned ones) just doesn't cut it for me.

I don't consider Pokemon Ranch or the Pokedex titles 'games' as such. Plus, Ranch gave me my Mew and Phione which still sit in my 'live' National Dex to this day :)

The original Pokemon Ranger. That game had such a high difficulty, that it completely frustrated me for years. Eventually I finally beat the game, and vowed never to play it again.

I'm not finished with GTI yet, but I'm getting close and it seems that right when the excitement has just started it's going to end. I mean, most of the game I kept wondering when the story was gonna start getting good and now that it finally has it appears it's almost over. The whole story is too short

No it's not! PMD games always have long stories and GTI is no extsion, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

That is just how I (and others) feel; you don't have to get angry about it and I'm genuinely sorry you feel that way. :/ It just seems to me that as soon as the action has started it's going to end, but I still like the game! I like the graphics, the whole concept of the Pokemon Paradise, the plot with Gurdurr and Scraggy near the beginning, the music, the partner character's constant optimism, and I like Virizion and I like that we don't have to go through a dumb personality test and can just pick our Pokemon, and I like Dunsparce and pretty much all of the characters. I like the game, I really do. Just don't love it like the other PMD games.
I, however, do not hate Pokemon Ranger. I've just never finished it because it bored me at the start. I take it you like it? :) That's fine! I can respectfully disagree.

Just out of curiosity, what are your least favorite Pokemon games?

My least favorite Pokémon game that I've ever played would have to be Trozei. It just didn't keep my interest, and after playing it for a bit, I could understand why my copy's previous owner sold it back to the store I bought it from. You can bet that I wasn't too enthusiastic about Battle Trozei when it was announced. XD

As far as the main series, I'd probably say Black and White. I certainly don't hate these games by any stretch of the imagination, but they were the only main-series games thus far that had me feeling a bit bored to play them in my first playthrough. Even though I bought a Japanese copy of Black before the games came stateside. XD

Last edited:
Yeah, Diamond and Pearl. Boring map, rubbish plot, irritating characters, terrible for diversity - Ponyta as the only wild fire pokemon! And it's full of homogenous legendaries. I'm fairly ambivalent on legends at the best of times, but the box legends, the lake trio, Cresselia... arrrg!

There's cool stuff about it - I'm making it sound like a chore to play, which it's not, but it's far and away the least best main series game.

PMD Explorer of Time, damn that was a huge letdown. I played Red and Blue Rescue Team back in the day and those were fun, dunno' why I hated EoT though.

For Main Series games, BW and DP had so terrible Pokemon distribution, which is made so apparent in BW2 and Pt and that is just a huge no-go for me. Sure RBY FRLG had about the same amount, but those were the originals and remakes of them, so they are justified and I thought they did a much better job with what they had available, but I gotta go with BW, DP were a lot more fun imo.

Pokemon Ranger got MUCH better with Shadows of Almia (the best Ranger game imo). It's just that the first game of the Ranger series was way too difficult to enjoy. What's the point if you can't clear a certain mission to progress the story D:

I agree with you completely. PMD is my favorite of all the Pokemon spin-offs, so much so that I am currently playing all 3 games at the same time--replaying RRT and EOT, playing GTI for my first time. I'm not finished with GTI yet, but I'm getting close and it seems that right when the excitement has just started it's going to end. I mean, most of the game I kept wondering when the story was gonna start getting good and now that it finally has it appears it's almost over. The whole story is too short, and I agree with you about the twisting hallways. >.< Also, you keep seeing the same Pokemon over and over in dungeons until you're near the end. I don't hate GTI, but I don't love it either.

I can agree with these sentiments. As a fellow lover of the PMD series, I was quite disappointed with GTI as it compares to B/RRT and TDS. It seems like they took the series in a completely different direction. GTI lacked the usual atmosphere, to me. Rather than there being some huge calamity that threatened life as Pokemon knew it, we faced...the danger of a lack of friendship and kindness? I mean...that's...okay...but...I mean, in the past games, it was literally going to be the end of the world. Plus, the story really was short and there never seemed to be that climax to the story that the past games had. It has several rising actions (don't mean to turn this into an English class) but just never had that one moment of true intensity that the story needed. It was a lovely tale of friendship; in fact, I think the bond between the characters in this game was greater than any of the others, but it just all seemed to happen too fast due to all of the small plotlines that didn't seem to tie together as well as they did in the past games. GTI would be my least favorite PMD game, but it isn't that bad.

Also, just gameplay in general. I can only do one mission at a time? Well that does make the game longer, but it just makes it more boring when trying to get the plot moving. I, myself, was a fan of the personality test (though, I always answered just to get the Pokemon I wanted) and I was sad it was not included. But even worse was that we got a pitiful list of potential heroes in just the Unova starters, Pikachu, and Axew. Not to mention the equally pitiful list of Pokemon you could recruit. And maybe it's just me, but I just never truly got the whole Paradise thing. It was cool and interesting, but I never truly got what it was supposed to be as it related to the story. I also didn't understand just what kind of "team" we were and why. Maybe it was just me, but I just felt a little distant in certain parts of the game.

I've never beat it because it's just so boring. Is it actually worth trying to finish or should I go ahead and get rid of it, do you think?

Personally, I really liked the first Ranger game and didn't find it too difficult enough that I quit for any given period of time (which is good, to me, as it was back when I wasn't all that great or smart of a gamer yet). I also didn't find it boring, but that's just me. So I would recommend at least trying to go back to it, it actually is a pretty good game. I will not deny it is hard (The 4 Challenges were...a challenge), but I do like a challenge from time to time and I would really recommend going back to it. :3 It just takes a little patience.

Do you mean just main series or all the spin offs to?

I hated Mystery Dungeon most of all.
But if I have to limit to main series then Ruby is the worst game I've played.

Probably any game in the Ranger series. I just think it strays too far from the standard pokemon formula while still trying to retain some of it, i.e. you "catch" pokemon but can only use them once in another capture attempt. Mostly because its essentially the closest spin-off to the main series games that aren't Colosseum, GoD, or PBR, and barring PMD. Other than that, the gameplay is fairly monotonous and unnecessarily straining on the hands/wrists.

That is just how I (and others) feel; you don't have to get angry about it and I'm genuinely sorry you feel that way. :/ It just seems to me that as soon as the action has started it's going to end, but I still like the game! I like the graphics, the whole concept of the Pokemon Paradise, the plot with Gurdurr and Scraggy near the beginning, the music, the partner character's constant optimism, and I like Virizion and I like that we don't have to go through a dumb personality test and can just pick our Pokemon, and I like Dunsparce and pretty much all of the characters. I like the game, I really do. Just don't love it like the other PMD games.
I, however, do not hate Pokemon Ranger. I've just never finished it because it bored me at the start. I take it you like it? :) That's fine! I can respectfully disagree.

I'm not angry, and I'm sorry I complained about your opinions, I was just surprised, that's all.
P.s my least favorite Pokemon game is in the first post.

I'm not angry, and I'm sorry I complained about your opinions, I was just surprised, that's all.
P.s my least favorite Pokemon game is in the first post.

That's okay! I'll admit that I do the same thing sometimes without meaning it. I myself am really surprised at some of the opinions expressed on this thread--there has been hate for my favorite Pokemon games!
Ahh right, didn't notice you were the one who started the thread xD Yeah, I don't understand why the 3D Pokedex thing even exists.

Generation II games were kinda mediocre, so they are my least favorites. The remakes improved them a bit, but they still aren't as good as the other games in the series imo.

I'd have to say that Black and White are my least favorite. I'd held them in high regard at the time, but eventually, I found the region to be dull and overly urbanized. Black and White are closely followed by Red/Blue/Yellow. I feel that the only reason these games get respect is because of nostalgia and bandwaggoning. They're the first in the series, and also the most crude and unpolished.

Definitely this. The first Pokemon Ranger game was just weird, especially boss battles. Getting to the last loop and about to catch the boss, oops, time to try to get another 20 perfect loops without the boss attacking or hitting it by accident. Luckily, I was determined as a child. The next to Ranger games were better, though, because the catching system was improved and got rid of the constant "circling" a Pokemon.

Another game was Gates to Infinity. I liked the Mystery Dungeon series, but this was really watered down and didn't feel like the past games. I also didn't like that the Pokemon's default attack was weakened to no end. That as just annoying.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom