• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your least favourite Pokémon of your favourite type?

Reaction score
Reversal! You may have seen the other topic which asks a similar question, but now we're turning it on its head.

My favourite type is Ground. Drab, dowdy, naturalistic colour palettes, lots of animalistic designs, rugged, bulky, hulking aesthetics - yeah, gimme some of that. They tend to be in-game troopers, with powerful STAB moves, access to Rock-type coverage and chunky defenses, with little of this fast-and-fragile nonsense. Ground-type trainers also tend to be some of the most level-headed in the series, and it's a trait I value highly.

My least favourite Ground-type Pokémon is Diggersby. I can't stand his clown feet that make him look as though he's about to topple over at any time, and I also dislike the JCB shtick. I have a lot of time for species inspired by relatively simple technology - Magnemite, Klink, even the Rolycoly line is just on the right side of low-tech for me, but a digger is a specific piece of advanced modern technology and Diggersby's design tries to replicate it overtly, rather than nodding to a broader technological concept.

Last edited:
Ghost: Gengar

Water: Palkia, Urshifu, Kabutops, Lanturn, Ash-Greninja

Psychic: Calyrex, Mr. Mime, Alakazam, Gardevoir, Mewtwo

Fairy: Grimmsnarl, Dedenne .

Bug: Armaldo, Mega Heracross, Scyther.

Last edited:
My favorite type is Ice. My least favorite Mon from that type is Crabomible. I get it, it's a yeti crab, but the thing is still ugly as hell. Plus, it's not that useful and in order to acquire one you need to (almost) go the entire game before you can evolve Crabrawler due to it being a stupid location evolution (USUM fixed that to a degree). Plus, it was the only "new" Ice-type in Gen 7 (I don't count the Alolan forms as "new"), so that really made me mad.

Normal: Exploud - angry and very very ugly....bad kind of ugly rather than edgy kind of ugly.
Grass: Exeggutor - ugly, creepy, multiple heads

Noe: they both start with 'ex'...

Last edited:
My favorite type is Dark. Not (just) because I'm a goth lol, but what I really like about the type is its diversity. There's many different kinds of creatures here, and there's cool ones, edgy ones, sharp ones, rough ones, elegant ones, cute ones, and weird ones, but I think they are unified by their shared adherence to darker shades of color (which I've always liked the notion of subverting the connotations of - as a reference point for Digimon fans, I always loved Beelzemon, and thought it was super cool how in Adventure 02, Ken's Digivice stayed black even after his face turn rather than turning some happy goodie two-shoes color), and there's this sort of vibe I get from most Dark-types, of a thin line between grace and ferocity. It is very alluring to me.

That all being out there, my least-favorite is Incineroar. It has a few charms, but I just really can't stand the proportions it's drawn with, as they make it feel far more like an anthropomorphic cartoon character like the Pink Panther or Sylvester the Cat or something, as opposed to a fantastical creature I could imagine living in the wild. (There's a reason why replacing Tom in the Sneaky Tom meme with Incineroar works.) Neither Emboar, Delphox, nor Cinderace bother me like this, because they are all drawn far more proportionally. They are all humanoid, yes, but they don't have massive five-fingered hands attached to tiny little wrists that themselves extend from these massively broad shoulders. And then that thick upper body is balanced on these two pencil legs with little cat paws. Look at this. Look AT this. He skipped leg day and doesn't ever work his forearms. Cin, I am b-e-g-g-i-n-g you to please, just do a wrist curl!

I know I recently praised G-Max Machamp for similar virtues, but I think those ideas work a lot better in the context of something as inherently exaggerated as Gigantamax, not to mention that the perspective shift involved with Dynamax helps a lot in that case. When you try to apply those kinds of proportions on the usual scale, it just feels jarringly unnatural. Plus, there's Incineroar's stripes, which make me think more of a cartoon jail jumpsuit than an even remotely naturally-occurring fur pattern. The weird thing is, on Torracat (which I really like), I think the stripes work. I'm not sure exactly what the fundamental difference is, to me. Maybe it just helps in the first place that Torracat isn't humanoid, but I don't know, I also feel like the stripes are less of a focus, or at least, are balanced better across the body. They appear on the wrists, the end of the tail (in inverted colors), and are echoed by the pattern on Torracat's head. I feel like this gives it a more unified feeling.

Speaking of fluid contexts, the really crazy thing is that I think if you were to Thanos-snap Litten and Torracat from existence, maybe tweak Incineroar just a little bit, and then tell me that it's an Ultra Beast from a different world that runs on cartoon logic, I could seriously buy it, and might even like it for that. I love the UBs, but they are deliberately toying with the usual Pokémon design philosophies. I don't think Incineroar is really trying to do that, even though it succeeds. But like really. I could easily imagine it and Buzzwole being rivals of some sort (their type combinations even work out as opposites!), where it's not just two literal buff chads wrestling with each other, but also competing aesthetics - the hyper-detailed, bulging, 3D muscularity that doesn't belong anywhere on a mosquito, versus the cartoonish, superdeformed 2D expressionism that you would similarly never believe on a cat.

Edit: Incidentally, this image almost kinda makes Incineroar work a little better? The hands are still completely absurd, and the arm proportions don't look good, but the posing of it on all fours makes it look more like an animal that is ready to pounce, and a more sensible extension from Litten and Torracat:

1477594674151.jpg

Also, low-key thanks to Incineroar for making this such an easy choice, because pretty much all other Dark-types are pretty cool in my view. Although I suppose if not for this big cat, I might have to talk about Purrloin...

Last edited:
Favorite type is Poison. Looking through a list of all the Poison-types (pure, primary, and secondary), there aren't really any I actually really REALLY dislike. I guess Amoonguss would be my least favorite because it's a little ugly, forgettable, and in a crowded type combo. But I don't have a particularly strong negative reaction to it, which says something about the overall quality of Pokemon that are Poison-type being pretty strong.

My favorite type is the Dragon type and while I do feel that the typing has mostly strong designs, there are some that I'm not too keen on.

My least favorite Dragon type overall would have to be Mega Rayquaza. To me, it's an ugly, over-designed mess that ruins the sleekness of regular Rayquaza with a bunch of bells and whistles that, in my opinion, don't make it feel like a natural progression of the Pokemon--just a bunch of stuff tacked on to make it look 'more' so to speak. Alolan Exeggutor, Guzzlord, and Gigantamax Flapple/Appletun are all other Dragon types that I dislike as well.

Oof, a tough one but if I had to decide what my favourite Type would be I would have to settle on Bug.

My least favourite Bug Type Pokémon on the other hand is very easy to pick which would be the Paras line. The concept of parasitoids is really unnerving to me and both Pokémon in the line embody that to a disturbing degree - especially this Dex entry which means that the cycle of parasitism is eternal and cannot be broken. :sick:

Crystal: "When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg."

If GF gave Parasect a Mega-Evo where it breaks free of the 'shrooms control then I would be all for that. :unsure:

Last edited:
Normal: Slaking, Aipom/Ambipom, Happiny, Munchlax, Skwovet/Greedent, Stufful/Bewear, and Diggersby

Ice: Galarian Darumaka/Darmanitan and Galarian Mr. Mime/Mr. Rime

Water: Froakie line, Mudkip line, Panpour/Simipour, Chewtle/Drednaw, Binacle/Barbaracle

Dark: Guzzlord, Impidimp line, Zarude, Incineroar, Hoopa, and Morpeko

My favorite types are Water, Grass and Ground, because of their cool moves and their variety in concepts. However, they also screw it up eventually...

Water: Wartortle, Feebas, Floatzel, Bibarel, Barbaracle.

Grass: Gloom, Lileep, Wormadam,

Ground: Digglet, Dugtrio, Diggersby.

my favorite type is electric, so if I had to pick a least favorite from it... prolly magnezone or electivire? they just aren't my type of mons, being a fan of cute stuff a lot of the time. magnezone is just odd-looking (I highly prefer magneton) and electivire is too bulky and unappealing ):

My favorite type is Ghost, and my least favorite is probably... Dhelmise? I have nothing against it, but it's kind of forgettable to me. I admit that I may have forgotten it existed after USUM came out.

Normal: Exploud - angry and very very ugly....bad kind of ugly rather than edgy kind of ugly.
Grass: Exeggutor - ugly, creepy, multiple heads

Noe: they both start with 'ex'...

And my favourite type combination is Fighting/Flying. Out of the two Pokemon we have with that typing I definitely don't like Galarian Zapdos. It's one ugly and even unintentionally funny looking bird.

for me... my most favorite type is the Fairy
love so many

but it does have its fairy share of bad looking Pokemon too

Cryapi (Togepi) is worst, anime made me hate it even more, should have just stayed as a normal type, don't see anything fairy about it
also dislike it's two evolutions (Togetic, Togekiss)

the 'humanoids' also on my strong hates (Mr. Mime, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir)

and last set of faries all the ones introduced in 8th gen

overall, my most hated of the Fairy type is Togepi

My favourite type is Water, and my least favourite Water type is Lumineon. Not only is it ugly, it also has an annoying cry, a barren movepool and awful stats.
I also really dislike Bruxish, Inteleon, Arctovish, Dracovish, Simipour, Gastrodon and Seismitoad.

My favorite type is Dragon but I will admit to not liking Bagon and its evos that much. Salamence is kinda okayish but I think Bagon and Shelgon look really bad and are embarrassing really.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom